Chapter 9

You Drive Me Crazy

CHAPTER NINE

“Your MOM?” I exclaimed in surprise as I stopped walking towards them, staring at the two in front of me. Why? Why have I not thought of his mother just now?! Of course he wouldn’t have a girlfriend! Who could stand that personality of his?

Taehyun nodded casually, walking inside to the dining table as his mom trialed behind him. “Yes, my mom.” He turned to his mother and introduced us. “This is Yunju, she’s our makeup artist and she actually lives just next door.”

She dipped her head to greet me while I immediately bowed downwards. “Hello, nice to meet you.” I finally managed to blurt out.

“Nice to meet you too Yunju-shi.” She smiled brightly at me. “You’re so pretty! I was secretly hoping he would say you’re his girlfriend.” I smiled at her uncomfortably upon hearing that sentence. “Thank you for taking care of him when I’m not around.” She took my hand in hers and patted it lightly.

Taehyun seems to be cringing at this sight. “Mom… Stop that. You’re embarrassing me. And I can take care of myself quite well okay!”

I rolled my eyes at him. “Are you sure about that? You almost burnt the kitchen down just now.”

His jaw dropped and his mom gasped. “What? What happened?”

Taehyun started to whine to his mother in a very childish manner. “But… But I was just trying to cook for you!” He pointed to the dining table. “See! It looks great doesn’t it?” He glanced at my direction and looked down at his hands. “Well, with the help of Yunju noona. That’s why she’s here when you walked in mom.”

“Omo! Yunju-shi, you know how to cook too? It’s very rare to see young girls cook nowadays.” His mother said as she sat down in front of her meal. “Why don’t you join us for dinner too then? We can use some company!”

I frantically shook my head. “Oh no, it’s fine! I was just on my way out when you came in!” My mind suddenly remembered the piece of horror kimbap that I have made earlier. Well, this is not going to go well. It’s time to stall for time and to take that piece of crap out from the dish.

“Yeah! It’s supposed to be mother and son time tonight!” Taehyun added, unimpressed by his mother’s invitation.  

“We can have mother and son time whenever but Yunju-shi is here right now!” His mother urged. This time, she stood up and went behind me to push me over to the dinner table. “Just join us, Yunju-shi! There’s enough food for the three of us!” She smiled at me again. I looked over at Taehyun whose sending death signals to me with his eyes. Something along the lines of ‘if you sit down then you’re so screwed.’ But I also want to somehow throw that kimbap away… Maybe this is my chance!

I sat down slowly beside his mom, in front of Taehyun. “Well then, I guess I’ll join you two for a little bit.”

His mother grinned and clasped her hands together when I agreed. Why is she so happy? I guess she is just a very friendly person. Taehyun, on the other hand, doesn’t look too pleased as he glared at me with anger. However, when his mom turned to his direction, his frown quickly changed to a bright smile at her. I took the chance to shrug and to stick my tongue out at him.

Taehyun placed some banchan onto the table and the three of us said “jal meokkesseumnida” to begin our meal. I kept trying to look for that one kimbap roll and I realized it’s at the very bottom of the plate. Well, it’ll be rude to just pick at the bottom piece… Maybe we can eat our way through and I’ll try to go for that piece later on!

“Here you go Yunju-shi!” His mom placed some food in my bowl. I politely thanked her immediately.

“What about me?” Taehyun quickly said in disbelief. “How can you forget about me?”

“Aigoo! Don’t you have hands? You’re a big boy now!” His mom retorted and fed herself some of the kimchi stew. “Mm!! This is amazing! Where did you learn this Yunju-shi?”

I chuckled at her answer. Man, his mom is amazing! I just love the look on his face now. His eyes are bulging out and there’s probably steamed coming out of his ears. “Oh, I just learnt it from my mother actually! I used to help her out in the kitchen a lot when I was younger so I just kind of picked it up I guess.”

“Wow! You’re a genius!” His mom complimented again, to the point where I’m feeling a little awkward sitting here. I better get that piece of kimbap and leave soon!

Taehyun merely stared at me and his mother converse while he eats alone, stuffing his face with any piece of food he can get his hands on. He turned the TV on to entertain himself.

“So how is working with WINNER Yunju-shi?” His mother asked. “Has Taehyunnie caused you any trouble yet?”

I quickly swallowed my food and looked at Taehyun who fidgeted in his seat and seemed uneasy. “Uh… Actually it’s great working with WINNER! They’re always so full of energy! Haha… And no don’t worry. Taehyun treats me very well.” Taehyun cocked up his eyebrow at me and I subtly wiggled my eyebrows at him. That was my way to telling him ‘you owe me one.’

“Omo! I’m surprised! Our Taehyunnie is growing up eh?” She leaned over to Taehyun to pat his shoulders to which he responded with a smile and squinted eyes. She turned towards me and giggled. “Did you know what Taehyun used to do when he was a kid? Omo! Actually I got to show you his baby pictures!” She said enthusiastically, taking out her phone and scrolling through her pictures. I smirked at what she’s doing and Taehyun simply stopped eating and placed his face in his hands in embarrassment.

Just then, his mother yelped in excitement as her eyes focused on the television. It was then when we realized the first episode of WINNER TV is airing. “I didn’t know it’s airing tonight! Oh my! I must call your father!” She sprang out of her seat as if she’s about to call all of her contacts on her phone. Taehyun looked up from his hands, probably relieved that I won’t be able to see his younger pictures. His mother excused herself as she went to the kitchen area.

“Dang it! I was looking forward to see those pictures too! I could take a picture of it and sell it to your fans! You know how much money I’d make?” I said teasingly at Taehyun but he simply rested his head on his arm.

“Good luck trying to make those extra cash. I’ll make sure my mom will never show it to you.”

“Your mom is so cute and friendly. I like her.” I said, trying to find that piece of kimbap now that the elder is gone.

“Both of you are treating me as if I’m not here!” Taehyun pouted and crossed his arms. “Yah noona, you think I’m blind?” He responded as he stared at what I’m doing. “Don’t be rude. Just pick the piece at the top!”

“You don’t understand. I can’t let anyone touch that one piece...” I quickly said. I smiled in victory as I finally picked out the super soggy kimbap that is drenched from vinegar. I quickly picked it up and was about to throw it away but Taehyun skillfully snatched it away with his chopsticks.

“What’s wrong with this piece?” He questioned, bringing it up to his eye level.

My eyes widened. “Nothing! There’s nothing wrong with it.” I tried to reply as casually as I can. I cannot let him find out my intentions earlier otherwise I have a lot of explaining to do!

“If there’s nothing wrong then why can’t we eat this piece?” He asked again, still examining it carefully.

“Just listen to me and don’t eat it! It’s for your own good!” I said again.

But I was too late. Taehyun has already taken a bite. My face watched in horror as he started to chew and his face went from being bored to a nasty and disgusted expression.

He coughed immediately as he spit the food back out. “Wa-… Water!”

I quickly got out of my seat and poured him some water and shoved the liquid down his throat. He finished the glass in no time. “NOONA! What was that! What did you put in??”

“UH… Some… Special garnishing?” I smiled sheepishly at him. I see his mom coming back and I quickly whispered to him, “Don’t say anything then we are even okay!”

He was about to protest but his mom came back and saw us bickering. “Oh? What were you guys talking about?” She questioned once she sat down again.

“Oh nothing… Just the usual, haha!” I quickly said before Taehyun was able to say anything. “We’re always like this. Don’t mind us!”

She smiled. “Come to think of it, your father and I used to do that all the time too Taehyunnie!”

Oh my, what is she getting at now? I felt as if cold sweat is dripping down my temples. I was holding onto a piece of meat but it slipped out of my chopsticks and fell back into the bowl, causing a few drops of soup to splash against my face. I hear Taehyun chuckle and his mother asking me what happened. I laughed it off right away, glaring at Taehyun instead. Why does his mom keep saying these things? As much as I like to be on her good side, this is actually making me uncomfortable. Taehyun looks pleased though, sensing how awkward I am now in this position.

“Why aren’t you eating Taehyunnie?” His mother questioned, clueless to what has happened earlier.

“I’m full.” Was all Taehyun said. His poor taste buds are probably crying for help from all the sourness and saltiness. I snickered.

“Come on! There’s just a little bit of food left! Let’s not waste it, okay? There are a lot of people out there who are starving so we should appreciate what we have and not throw it away!” His mom blabbered on about starving children to guilt trip us. She then took the last kimbap and split it into two, giving me one half and Taehyun the other. She then left to sit in front of the television to continue watching the TV show. It was just me and Taehyun at the dining table again.

“You eat first.” He commanded.

“I assure you this piece is safe to eat. “ I laughed.

“I don’t trust you anymore.” He said hesitantly, still trying to get rid of the taste in his mouth with water.

“Fine.” I popped the piece into my mouth. Thank goodness I didn’t accidentally eat the piece Taehyun had just now! for him to be so curious about everything all the time. I finished chewing and urged him to have his piece.

He reluctantly took a small bite. “I really don’t want to eat this…” I laughed. He suddenly stopped eating and started giggling like a little kid.

Confused, I quickly questioned him. “What?” He began to hold onto his stomach and pointed at me. “Yah, stop that and tell me what’s going on. Is there something on my face?” I touched my cheeks but felt nothing.

“You-“ He snorted to catch his breath. “You have seaweed stuck on your teeth! HAHAHA!”

Embarrassed, I quickly fled to the washroom to check the mirror. To my dismay, he was correct. Damn seaweed… You gotta punish me one way or the other eh? Well, I guess it’s better than eating that piece of kimbap.

When I went back out, Taehyun was still laughing. Enraged, I stomped towards him and quickly pushed the rest of the kimbap into his mouth. He almost choked on his food and I couldn’t help but to smile in satisfaction.

“Noona! You’re so mean!” Taehyun complaint when he finally managed to swallow the piece of food.

“Serves you right you jerk!” I said while cleaning up the dishes on the table and placing it in the sink. “Help me wash the dishes.” Surprisingly, Taehyun didn’t say no, nor did he say yes, but he did help me clean up. “Why am I even here on my day off? This . When are you filming your portion of WINNER TV then?”

“We’re leaving tonight actually. Just thought I’d invite my mom over for a bit.” He replied, wiping a plate dry. “Don’t miss me too much! I’ll be back in two days!” He nudged me by my shoulder.

“Tsk. Why would I even miss you?” I replied. Wrong. I think I’m already dreading the next 48 hours of my life.

“Yunju-shi! Taehyunnie!”

“Neh?” We both turned our heads around at the same time to see his mom snapping a photo of us right when we looked at her.

“Omo! You guys are washing dishes! It’s so cute I just cannot resist taking a picture of you two!” She yelled excitedly and ran back to focus on the show again.

I tried to smile at her awkwardly and continued what I was doing. I leaned in to Taehyun and whispered, “Is your mom always like this? If she wants you to have a girlfriend so badly then you should considering quitting this career. It’ll be a pity though…”

“Tell me about it… It keeps getting worse. I’m only 20 years old for God’s sake!” Taehyun exclaimed in frustration. “Well for sure I’m not going to quit my job anytime soon…” He stopped what he was doing and turned to me with a serious expression. “Since my mom likes you so much, why don’t you fill in the spot as my girlfriend so my mom can shut up?

What?

I remained frozen in spot and stared into Taehyun’s eyes. His gaze returned mine. I gulped uneasily. I cannot believe he just said that! Is he asking me to be his girlfriend now? No… That can’t be it! What does he mean?

Taehyun suddenly leaned down to my eye level and I gasped at his swift movement. Omo! Is he going to kiss me again? For real this time? I felt this burning sensation from my chest that I’m unsure whether it is from the anticipation or from nervousness. From the corner of my eyes, I noticed him lifting his arm. The next thing I felt was pain. It took a while for my brain to register what has just happened. “Ouch!!” I yelped in agony as I brought my hand up to rub my forehead. I then realized he flicked my forehead to make me snap out of the trance.

“Omo! Noona! What were you thinking? Were you actually considering what I said?” Taehyun teased and quickly ran out of the kitchen, leaving me standing alone in embarrassment. HOW DARE HE? Of course he’s joking! That prankster always comes up with all these lame jokes! I cannot believe I actually considered what he said was true for a second!

“NAM TAEHYUN! You better get your back over here!” I screamed, still trying to maintain my volume low as I don’t want to catch the attention of his mother in the living room, whose eyes are still glued to the television. Thank goodness she’s not paying attention to us. I looked around but see no signs of Taehyun. Where the heck has he fled to? I entered the hallway area and noticed the lights behind one of the doors. That Tae-jerk must be inside! It’s time for revenge!

I cracked my knuckles and then swiftly turned the door knob to enter the room. I was correct. Once I entered, I see Taehyun at his desk, scribbling something down on a piece of paper. He didn’t seem to notice that I entered his room so I crept slowly and silently up to him before I yelled out a ‘boo!’ He jumped back in shock but relaxed when he noticed it’s me. Seriously? People actually do get scared with a ‘boo’ nowadays?

“Holy crap! You almost scared me to death!” He exclaimed, placing his hand on his chest to feel his own heartbeat.

“What are you doing?” I questioned, taking a seat on his bed and peered over to the sheet of paper that he was writing on.

He instantaneously snatched it away though, hiding it behind his back as he faced me. “Nothing. I just randomly had an idea for a song so I was writing it down.”

“Dude relax. It’s not like I’m going to steal your music away. Why can’t you just show me?”

He shook his head frantically. “Why are you even in my room?”

“Because you’re not entertaining your guest and I’m bored.” I said and laid flat on his bed, making a star shape to occupy all the space. Damn. I shouldn’t have lain down. I regretted my decision when I inhaled and sniffed in the scent of Taehyun that lingered on his sheets. It smelled like laundry. I think I’m going crazy but I think it’s so cute when guys smell like laundry. I quickly sat up and pretended nothing happened. My eyes scanned around his room and I couldn’t believe how organized he is! His room is probably cleaner than mine… Then something interesting caught my eyes.

“You play guitar?” I asked curiously as I went to retrieve the acoustic instrument in the corner of the room.

“Um… I’m learning it.”

“Really?” I questioned excitedly. “Since when?”

“A couple of weeks ago? I thought it’ll help with my compositions.”

I silently nodded as I handed him the guitar. “Can you play me something then?”

He looked dumbfounded and a little anxious. “Nope.”

I pouted. “Why not?” But that’s probably a better idea. If I see Taehyun play an acoustic guitar when we’re in his room, I’d probably get a heart attack and suffocate a painful death.  

Taehyun paused for a moment and slowly took the guitar out of my hands and into his. “Well, there is this song that I’m learning.” He sat down on his bed nervously and placed the guitar on his lap. He began tuning the guitar and once it was to his satisfaction, he started to strum the strings.

I recognized the song right away. It was none other than an acoustic rendition of 2NE1’s ‘Missing You.’ It was a beautiful piece, especially since it’s played in the form of a guitar by Taehyun. I watched in silence as he began singing along to the lyrics. His voice was soft and matched the tune incredibly well. It was like a lullaby to me. If I can record him right now so that I can listen to it before bed time for the rest of my life I would. But it’s too embarrassing to do so and I can’t let him know that for obvious reasons as well.  The rhythm played delicately as he continued strumming the guitar. If I could stop time, I would. It was a perfect moment.

---

When I returned home that night, his voice and the tunes of the guitar still lingered in my ears. Not that I minded it anyways because it was wonderful. My visit at their dorm just now ended abruptly as the filming crew for WINNER TV came in to fetch Taehyun and his mother since they need to film at his hometown starting tomorrow morning. The mini guitars/singing session stopped as Taehyun needed to get ready to leave. I bid farewell to his mom before I left, to which she almost pouted and refused to let me go. It was quite hilarious actually. I did promise her that we can see each other again when she comes over next time. She already planned a day to visit again.

Now here I am lying in bed after a long day. Everything seemed so quiet, all except for the ticking sound from the clock mounted on the wall and my own breathing. I suddenly felt lonely, after realizing that the boys aren’t next door anymore. It wasn’t a good feeling. I suddenly missed my family too, since I knew the boys are probably all in their respective homes with the company of a loving family. Then I started to miss the WINNER members, but I knew I won’t be able to see them for at least another 48 hours.

I sighed and tossed and turned in bed.  My body was exhausted but my mind wouldn’t let me sleep. My mind was on Taehyun and no matter how hard I tried to tell myself not to think of him, I couldn’t. At that point, I knew I had to put an end to this. If I want to continue working with WINNER, with YG, and being able to have a stable career, I know I needed to stop my feelings for the guy with mid split hair. I know it’s going to be hard but it’s for my own good. I also know for sure that Taehyun simply has no feelings for me, so why bother? It would also be bad news if sajangnim finds out anything related to this matter. I shivered after imagining what it would be like. Maybe I’ll get fired right on the spot? Who knows?

I stared at the ceiling in the bedroom, taking in the darkness. Something then clicked in my head and that was when I made up my mind- to let my feelings for Taehyun subside. It’s for the better, right? Uncontrollably, memories of us returned to my mind and I let out a tear drop that silently rolled down my cheeks. I sniffed and cleared my throat. When did my feelings for him get so intense? I didn’t even realize how much I liked him until now. If only he can stop teasing and messing with me… Maybe this wouldn’t even have happened! I also blame that voice of his! I placed my earphones in my ears and some music to put myself to rest, because I honestly don’t know how I am able to sleep that night.

---

The next morning, I woke up feeling like I was half dead. But seeing that it’s already eleven in the morning, I got my lazy into the washroom and almost couldn’t recognize my reflection in the mirror. My eyes were slightly puffed up and I didn’t like any bit of it. Why am I so stupid? Crying over a crush? That’s the silliest thing I’ve ever heard. I quickly washed up and applied some moisturizer and sunscreen onto my face before leaving the washroom. Staring at my reflection one more time, I smiled at myself. Today will be a better day! Today I will stop thinking about Nam Taehyun! Today I will pick up a new hobby and busy myself with it so I can forget about everything! I even did a ‘hwaiting’ sign for myself.

I looked out the window and was welcomed with some beautiful sunny Seoul weather. I decided that fresh air will do me some good so I quickly changed and put on a light jacket before stepping out the door. As I got outside though, I noticed a small package beside my door. Confused, I picked it up and examined the box. It has my name on it… So for sure it’s for me then. But why would the mailman bring the package up? Unless it wasn’t mailed to me…

Curious, I stepped back inside my apartment and opened the box quickly. To my surprise, there was another box inside that is wrapped beautifully and a note was included next to it as well. Why does this package look so familiar? I swear I’ve seen it somewhere before! I quickly unfolded the note and started reading:

Annyeong Noona!

So… I’ve wanted to give this to you but never found a good time to do so. But I decided to give it to you now as a thank you for helping me out last night. Anyways, sorry our first meeting had to end up that way but I hope this makes up for it! Don’t break this one!

PS: Don’t miss me too much! I’ll be back soon!

From: Your favourite person in the whole world! ^^

Eh? What is the maknae up to now? I fidgeted with the wrapping hurriedly, extremely curious as to what’s inside. I gasped in surprise once I took out the covering and held the object in my hand. It was a brand new model of a cellphone. I carefully held it and examined the phone and then pressed on the main button. To my amazement, the background picture on the phone is an ugly selfie that Taehyun personally took of himself. I laughed as my eyes fixed on his picture.

Just how am I supposed to stop my feelings for you?

---

 

Author's Note:

First of all, I want to say hello and give a warm welcome to my new subscribers! I'm so glad you all support and like this story!! XD

Secondly, I want to thank you all for being so patient. I was really busy last week so i wasn't able to update until now. I'll probably post the next chapter within the next few days too so i hope you all look forward to that!

Story is getting intense! I think the next chapter will involve a little more angst. Bear with me!! >< Even i don't know what to say anymore with that Yunju/ Taehyun relationship :/ poor girl! 

By the way, did anyone guess correctly for what Taehyun wanted to give Yunju beforehand? Remember a few chapters back when he wanted to give her something but he said he will give it to her when he felt like it? Well.. It's the phone. I thought it'd be appropriate since he broke it in the beginning of the story haha.

Anyways, I'll update soon. Let me know what you think of this chapter though! :D