Chapter 7

You Drive Me Crazy

CHAPTER SEVEN

All I remembered was that my mind went blank when I felt his lips on mine.

*End of Flashback*

I immediately snapped back into reality. Was that real or was it my imagination? It seems like it actually happened though because I noticed Taehyun looking at me uneasily. Unsure of what to do, I unconsciously touched my lips nervously as he stared back into my orbs. Silence took over as we blinked timidly at each other. All I could hear was a humming sound from the air conditioner.

“You… You kissed me?” I finally gathered my courage to ask.

Taehyun turned his gaze away. “Um…”

The awkwardness came to an end when the door of our room opened all of a sudden. Hyejin stepped in to find Taehyun and I. Jiyong also walked in after her and looked at us. “What the… What were you guys doing? Taehyun-shi why are you here so early?” Hyejin spoke up while placing her bag down on a nearby chair. “Taehyun-shi, you should probably go back to your room now. I just bumped into Seungyoon-shi and he’s been looking all over the place for you!”

Taehyun instantly reached for his phone that’s been lying under a pillow this whole time and saw ten missed calls from Seungyoon. “Crap! He’s probably so pissed now!” Taehyun muttered and buried his face in his hands.

Just then his phone started to vibrate. I peeked over and saw Seungyoon’s name appear on the screen. Taehyun pondered whether to answer the call or not as his thumb hovered over the ‘decline’ button. Without thinking, I quickly reached over to answer the call myself. Taehyun immediately shook his head at me but it was too late as I have already picked it up. At least I can try to fix this right? I didn’t want to get Taehyun in trouble. I slowly pressed the phone against my ears and calmly said. “Hello Seungyoon-shi?”

“Eh?” Seungyoon sounds confused. “Yunju noona? Is Taehyun with you? Is he okay?”

“Ah yes don’t worry Seungyoon-shi. He’s with me.” I said quickly. Hyejin eyed me suspiciously and I knew I needed to make up an excuse right on the spot. “Uh…” I glanced nervously towards Taehyun. “It sounds so stupid but I had a nightmare last night and couldn’t sleep so I went next door to find you and Taehyun for company. But you were still out eating and it was just Taehyun there so…” I stared at Hyejin to see if she’s buying my excuse as well. She’s nodding to my response so I guess it is working. “Then I made him come over to keep me company. Sorry about that…” I mentally crossed my fingers.

I heard a sigh of relief on the other line. “Aish… That maknae. At least he could have gave me a call or left me a note or something! I was so worried since I couldn’t find him anywhere! I was contemplating whether to tell our manager or not just now. Good thing I tried calling again.”

“Mianhe Seungyoon-shi. I’ll ask him to go back now.” With that, I hung up and handed Taehyun his phone back. His jaw dropped as he stared back at me, as if what I said was the lamest excuse ever. I casually shrugged it off.

I see Jiyong chuckling in the back. He handed something to Hyejin and turned to us. “Well, I’ll be taking my leave now. Hyejin-shi, you should take a nap! You must be tired since you pulled an all nighter with us. Actually, all of you rest well. Concert is tonight. See you guys later!” He yawned casually and exited our room.

“I’ll be leaving now too then.” Taehyun announced and looked at me again, seeming to want to say something but he didn’t and ended up walking out of our room.

I heaved a huge sigh when he left and quickly leaned back on my bed. “Hyejin-ah you must be tired. You should take a shower and sleep!” I yawned and adjusted my pillow. “I’m going to sleep again. Good night. Or… Good morning. Whatever.”

“Not so fast missy.”

I opened one eye to see an angry Hyejin glaring at me. “What happened last night? Tell me now.”

Did she find out I was lying? I readjusted my position on my bed again and looked at her innocently. She started to look impatient.

“Come on Yunju. I’ve known you for so long. Of course I can tell you were simply giving us an excuse. A very lame one too that is. I just went with the flow because Jiyong-shi was here. Actually, I think even he knew you were lying too. Didn’t you see him laughing?” I face palmed myself. I should have taken some acting lessons!

“Whatever. Jiyong is going to hear something from Seunghyun or Youngbae soon anyways. Those two always spread stupid rumours!” I sighed exhaustedly.

Hyejin exhaled a deep breath and rolled her eyes. “That’s not the point Yunju-ah! Now that Taehyun is gone too you should just tell me the truth!” She started to sniff the air. “And is that alcohol I smell?” She gasped. “You never drink! What happened! I’m so curious now!”

I sighed and laid my forehead on my hand. “Damn it Hyejin. Why are you so smart?” She sat down beside me and urged me to continue. I then briefly explained what I remembered from my flashbacks and that Jiyong and she decided to come in at the most awkward moment ever. I guess it’s a good thing since I wouldn’t know what to say to Taehyun anyways. Hyejin listened attentively but became speechless in the end. “Yah! At least give me a response!” I exclaimed, feeling more disheartened after telling her what happened.

She shrugged. “I’m just thinking if an artist and makeup artist relationship has ever happened in YG before. You guys can be the first!” She gave me a warm smile.

I lightly hit her shoulder in defence. “Hey! Don’t make fun of me like that! It’s never going to happen, arrasseo!”

“Why not?” Hyejin retorted. “You two like each other anyways.”

“No I don’t.” I quickly said, lying down on my bed again. I closed my eyes, hinting at Hyejin that I don’t want to talk about this anymore.

“I feel like you do.” Hyejin continued. “And, omo, you guys even kissed?  I can’t believe it!”

“HE DID IT! He’s probably just drunk or something.” I said casually.

“My point is if you don’t like him then you would have gone to the washroom to brush your teeth like a hundred times by now!” Hyejin smirked. I pursed my lips together after hearing that. “Drunk? Seriously Yunju? Drunk enough to carry you all the way back here? Drunk enough to scold at you to behave properly?” I looked at Hyejin. “Think about it!” She started to shake me back and forth. “Something must be still knotted in your brain from all that drinking!”

“Yah stop! My head still aches! Just let me sleep okay!” I said impatiently and closed my eyes to pretend to sleep again.

Hyejin sighed frustratedly. “Aish! Whatever! I’m sure you know what I’m trying to say.” Then she got up and went into the washroom.

I slowly opened my eyes again when I heard the water running in the washroom. I carefully reached out to check my phone. Eh? There’s a message sent to me from last night? I quickly opened up the message which revealed the picture that Taehyun and I took at the ramen shop. An unsettling feeling crept through me as I stared at the picture. Omo, just by looking at his picture already makes me feel so uneasy? I gulped and dropped my phone accidentally. Thank goodness it only landed on a carpeted floor or I would have to fix another cracked screen! I quickly pushed my phone away and tried to fall asleep again.

---

We had to meet up at 3PM that afternoon in the lobby. Once everyone is ready, we will drive to the concert venue and start prepping over there. As much as I didn’t want to go, I had to since it’s the purpose of the whole trip. I managed to bring myself down to the lobby with a nagging Hyejin beside me. My steps were slow and Hyejin had to guide me through the way as I was too afraid of even lifting my head up. I shuddered when I remembered the awkwardness this morning. I definitely don’t want to go through that again! I figured I should just stay away from him for now and hopefully we will forget what happened.

Seunghyun-shi came up to me randomly and nudged me teasingly by my shoulder. “Had some fun last night Yunju-shi?”

I scrunched my eyebrows together and glared at him. I KNEW IT! That GD and TOP combo is just too much for me to handle. I bet Jiyong told him about what he saw today! I faked a cough and crossed my arms. “Watch your words arrasseo?”

He leaned down this time and whispered something against my ear. “Oh come on! Jiyong mentioned seeing Taehyun-shi in your room this morning. No need to hide anything Yunju-ah!”

I blushed and immediately shook my head. “That’s not what it is! Trust me! Nothing happened!”

He seems to be in his own world though because he clearly didn’t pay attention to what I said. “Wow Yunju, I don’t know how you do it. Dating a YG artist? That’s a first that I’ve heard!” He then patted my back and gave me a thumb up and walked away. I frowned, feeling more miserable than ever. When can this misunderstanding stop? It’s actually starting to piss me off!

I felt a heavy weight lift off my chest when they announced that Big Bang and WINNER will go with their own car, whereas the rest of the staff members and crew will take another car on our own. I smiled knowing that I didn’t need to be in the same car as WINNER.

After a thirty minute drive to the venue, we finally got off and were told to follow and help out our corresponding group. I saw WINNER’s van stop before ours. Taehyun came out first and then Mino followed behind him. They were all smiling and bowing at the fans that have already started to line up. Whoa, there are so many fans here! I even noticed a few WINNER banners in the crowd. I felt my stomach beginning to twist into a tight knot again. Hyejin patted my back and spoke. “Just-“

“Go with the flow?” I asked, finishing the sentence for her.

“Well. Yeah? I mean what else can you do?” Hyejin shook her head at me. “Relax, take a chill pill girl!”

I groaned and walked inside the venue with her. Whoa! This place is huge! Big Bang must be so popular and proud to play here! With my years and experience through working with YG, I have to say that they’ve really have grown. I suddenly felt very happy for them.

“Yunju-ah!”

I snapped my head around to see Sungmin-shi running up to me. “Neh?”

“Neh?” Sungmin looked taken aback from my answer. “I need you in WINNER’S room now! Once they’re done rehearsals they need to start on their make up as soon as possible so you should start setting up now okay?”

“Y-Yes I understand, Sungmin-shi.” I bowed at him and watched him run off somewhere else. Damn it. I wanted to buy some time by walking around the place too. Guess I can’t anymore… Sungmin turned back to look at me and motioned with his hands for me to hurry up. I stood frozen but was able to nod at him and quickly looked for WINNER’s room.

Just then, I unexpectedly bumped into Seunghoon who was casually walking in the hallway. He smiled when he saw me. “Yunju noona!”

“Eh! Why are you here? I thought you have to do rehearsals on stage right now!” I questioned when I saw his relaxed posture.

“I’m just on my way. You should come watch us actually!” He gladly invited me with a huge grin.

“Uh… No I don’t think I can.” I immediately said. “Sungmin-shi just told me to wait for you guys in your room and I should start preparing anyways.”

Seunghoon pouted. “Aw… Well too bad then. Maybe you can come later during the actual concert? We’ll be so happy to see you there cheering us on!” He asked again with a glimpse of anticipation in his voice. Happy? Really now huh? Maybe you all except for one. I smiled and eventually nodded at him though. How can I say no to that ‘spark of hope’ aura seeping through him? “DEAL!” He quickly stuck out his pinky in front of me for a pinky swear. “I guess I should really go now though.” He said when he heard Sungmin yelling his name across the hallway. “See you later noona!”

I waved him good bye and started to look for their room again. Sooner, after a few more twist and turns through the crowds of our own staff and the Japanese staff for this venue, I finally found WINNER’s room. I quickly went inside and breathed in and out, observing the empty room. Well… Better start unpacking some makeup!

There was a small television situated in the corner. I decided to turn it on as I usually like some kind of background noises when I’m working. The TV switched on and I realized it actually links to the cameras on stage right now. On it were the five members of WINNER doing sound check right now. Come to think of it, I’ve actually never heard them sing before! This should be interesting… I carefully laid out some make up products and brushes on the table as I listened to them sound check.

“Just another boy, just another boy, I’m just another boy, boy, boy!” My head started bobbing to the music. This is quite catchy and good! Whose voice is that? Then some rapping took over. Well that’s got to be either Mino or Seunghoon. I turned my head to stare at the screen to see Seunghoon rapping comfortably on stage. I smiled to myself. This guy is so silly. I shook my head and returned to what I was doing. Another voice was heard afterwards and I found myself immediately trying to guess who was singing this time. The voice was soft, almost angelic, yet powerful at the same time. I gave up eventually and turned around to see the camera focused on Taehyun. My jaw dropped and my knees felt weak suddenly. No way. Now I’m in love with his voice too?

Wait.

What just came across my mind? That I’m in love with his voice TOO? What do I mean ‘too?‘ Say what!

I started to shake the thought out of my head violently and then pinched the bridge of my nose in annoyance. Ugh. What was I even thinking? Yunju calm your nerves! It’s just a voice for God’s sakes! I sighed and banged my head on the table. Damn. I’m so screwed. There’s no way I actually have feelings for him right? I made myself breathe in and out slowly again. Calmed down? Good! Now just concentrate on what you were doing before!

I lifted my head up and looked at the makeup scattered all over the table and started to arrange them in order again. I accidentally dropped a concealer on the floor and quickly bent over to pick it up. Eh? Where is it? I thought it dropped over here! Why are there so many bags lying on the floor anyways? I started to lift some bags up to see whether the concealer tube is underneath it. No luck. I picked up another bag but had the same result. I sighed and sat down on the floor. Why did they bring so much of their belongings?  I unintentionally knocked down a bag so I instantly reached over to pick it up. What’s this? Its content spilled out and I couldn’t help myself but to notice what’s inside. Omo! It’s a rectangular box that’s been wrapped up very nicely with a ribbon and bow on top. Hmm… I wonder what’s inside!

By then, I heard voices right outside the room and the door knob fidgeted a little. I glanced at the TV screen to find out their rehearsal has already finished. It must be them outside! I quickly placed the contents back into the bag and pretended to look for my concealer when they walked in.

“What are you doing Yunju noona?” Jinwoo asked curiously, quickly striding over to my side.

“I dropped my concealer but I can’t find it anywhere!” I eventually gave up and got up on my foot to stand up but unfortunately banged my head on the table on the way up. The boys snickered at my clumsiness. “Not funny! Accidents happen okay!” I said, rubbing the back of my head.

“Is this what you’re looking for?” I turned around to see Seungyoon holding up the concealer. “It was all the way on the other side of the room!”

I smiled at him and quickly retrieved it. “That’s weird. Well thanks anyways!”

Sungmin came in right on spot and asked the boys to sit down as I need to start their make up right away. Mino volunteered to go first while the others will change into their stage clothing. After about an hour, I finally get to start on the last person- Nam Taehyun. I think it’s safe to say that we’ve been avoiding eye contact for the past hour. He reluctantly sat down and just closed his eyes as I began to put makeup on him. Luckily, the other four members are still in the room. They’re joking around so it was less awkward.

“Whoa Yunju noona, I actually feel hot for the first time in my life!” Mino laughed at his reflection in the mirror as he tried to pose a blue steel look.

“Yah you should stop doing that or your face is going to get stuck with that pose forever!” Jinwoo cracked up at Mino’s expression.

“What are you Jinwoo hyung?” Seunghoon asked. “An elementary school kid?”

Jinwoo pouted. “Awww that’s what I heard when I was young though!”

Seungyoon was on the couch playing his guitar. The tune was nice and a smile slowly formed on my face. Seungyoon noticed my gaze on him and walked up to Taehyun and I. “You like the guitar noona?”

I nodded, focusing on Taehyun’s face again. “I really appreciate musicians like you who can play an instrument. I like a lot of bands actually. I think guys look the best when they’re playing an instrument.”

Seungyoon’s face lit up and took a seat beside Taehyun to continue talking to me. “Really? Omo, noona I think I like you even more now!” I chuckled at his joke and shook my head.

“Stop talking so much when you’re doing my makeup.” Taehyun suddenly blurted out.

“I can multitask quite well okay.” I simply replied and lifted his chin down to apply some eye liner. “Look up.”

“Noona noona, what kind of bands do you like?” Seungyoon asked me a question again. Taehyun looks annoyed but I definitely can’t just ignore Seungyoon!

“Hmm… Well if you’re talking about Western bands then I quite like Muse. If you’re talking Korean then I like CN Blue I guess.” I replied.

“Yah, don’t poke my eyes arrasseo!” Taehyun said once again, holding my arm from moving any further.

“Dude, I told you I can handle it okay! Chill!” I said, freeing my arm from his grip.

“Omo!! I love Muse!” Seungyoon chirped in but he was interrupted when Sungmin-shi came into the room and called for him to go outside. Seungyoon reluctantly placed his guitar down and strutted out of the room.

“Seems like you’re going to be good friends with our Seungyoon- hyung soon.” Taehyun brought up casually, his eyes still closed, arms crossed over his chest.

“We are already good friends. Can’t you tell?”

“Tsk…” He looked up at me and faked a cough when our eyes met awkwardly.

“You have a good voice Taehyun.”

“Huh?” He looked at me again with a confused expression.

Omo, why did I have to say that out of all things? Sometimes I just have to control what’s going on in my mind a little better. “I mean… I heard you guys rehearse just now. That’s all.”

“Oh. Thanks.”

I quickly finished up the last touches for Taehyun because I don’t want to be anywhere near him anymore. Stupid me! You always say the worse things in the worse situations! I mentally scolded myself. “There you go. All done!” Taehyun stared at his reflection and fixed his hair a little bit before he stood up.

“Thank you for not poking my eye.” He turned around to say to me.

I smirked and replied sarcastically. “Oh, you’re very welcome.”

Sungmin popped into our room again and asked WINNER to get ready since they’re going to perform in about ten minutes. The boys nodded at him. Mino and Jinwoo headed out right away, their faces full of excitement. Seunghoon turned back to look at me and asked. “Noona, you’re coming to watch our performance right?” I quickly returned an ‘okay’ sign at him and he smiled and exited the room.

Taehyun was on his way out but he abruptly turned back to look at me. “Actually, I have something to give you.”

“What?”

He began to walk towards me until he was close enough where I had to look upward to see his face. I blushed almost instantly when I felt his warm breath. “Close your eyes.”

I pursed my lips. “No- No way!” I have a gut feeling that he’s up to no good again

He then swiftly leaned in, almost closing the distance between our lips. What? Again? And I’m actually sober right now! I quickly pushed against his chest when I knew what was going on. “YAH! What are you trying to do this time?”

He snickered and started laughing hysterically then stood in front of me again. “Calm down I was just joking with you.” I gaped at him in disbelief. “What? You wanted me to kiss you again?”

I quickly punched his shoulder. “No!!” Why did he have to bring it up? What does he even want from me?

“Sorry haha. I do actually have something for you though. But who knows? I’ll give it to you when I feel like it.” He his feet and headed for the door. I didn’t even realize that my hands have turned into fists. Nor do I even know whether I’m angry or relieved. I wish I understood my feelings a little better. Taehyun stopped on his track again and looked at me. “Aren’t you coming noona?”

I finally snapped out of it and quickly rushed behind Taehyun. “Why did I do your makeup so perfectly? I should have made you look like a panda or something.” I muttered.

After we got out, Taehyun met up with the rest of the group to go backstage. I quickly gave them a ‘hwaiting’ signal and went to where the audience were seated. Since I was a staff member, I was able to watch from the front area. I wonder if Hyejin is here too? Probably not… She should be busy with the Big Bang members.

Five minutes past by and the lights of the venue suddenly dimmed. The screen behind the stage started to play a short clip featuring WINNER. Fans behind me began to scream in all directions. I almost had to cover my ears! I waited for them to come out onto the stage full of anticipation. An adrenaline rush swept through me when the music started to play. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a concert. Plus, it’s the first time that I’m watching WINNER perform. The song I heard earlier during their rehearsal began to play. Fans screamed even louder when they started to sing.

I watched in silence as their performance went on. It was very fascinating and lively, I had to control myself from jumping up and down with the rest of the fans. Mino noticed my presence at one point and waved at me happily. The fans directly behind me shouted even more deafening than before. I laughed.

Their first song soon ended and the members lined up to bow at the audience. “Hello! We are WINNER!” The whole venue is probably shaking from all the screaming I swear! I started clapping along with the rest of the audience. The members took turns introducing themselves. At the end, they announced they’ll be singing a ballad from their WIN program.

Slow guitar riffs started to play and the audience started to yell again, as if they already know what song they’re about to sing. I stood still as I listened to them. I soon realized it’s a cover of ‘Officially Missing You.’ I closed my eyes as I listened to their rewritten lyrics. A grin gradually made its way on my face.

Then I heard it again. The voice that can send chills down my spine. You know the feeling when you shiver because a song is so good? Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’m experiencing right now. I opened my eyes again and focused on the stage. Oh and of course it’s Nam Taehyun singing! Why am I not surprised anymore? As much as I don’t want to listen to him, there was just something so captivating with his voice. The more you listen, the more you want. I stood frozen on my feet as I continued goggling at the sight ahead of me. At that moment, I concluded that I wasn’t just mesmerized by his voice but simply himself as Nam Taehyun.

 

---

Author's Note:

Hello readers :D Here's another long chapter for you all who have been waiting so patiently for my update. I thank you all for that! I had a bit of trouble writing this particular chapter, I hope it wasn't too boring for you! Again, I hope you all enjoyed this chapter as well :)

So in this chapter, I picked Officially Missing You as a song WINNER sang on stage because I just absolutely love Taehyun's voice in it. I thought this song portrays a better idea of why and how Yunju is so attracted to Taehyun's voice upon listening so i did a little switch with Go Up.

By the way, can anyone guess what Taehyun wants to give Yunju? props to you if you guess correctly! haha

As always, comments and ideas are always welcomed!! I'll talk to you all next week hehe stay tuned for the next chapter!