Chapter 16

You Drive Me Crazy

Author's Note: *hides* my sincere apologies for not updating for so long! Thanks for being patient with me guys... since a lot of you didn't enjoy the last chapter , I do hope you all enjoy this one somewhat better :3 

on a side note... anyone seen those video teasers YG is releasing for WINNER? omfg. i can't wait. PLEASE JUST LET THEM DEBUT SOON PLEASE! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

anyways, enjoy this chapter. please subscribe/comment/upvote, anything is welcomed!!

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

‘The number you have dialed is unavailable, please try again later.’

I frustratedly ended the call again. I have been trying to contact Taehyun for the third time this morning already. The first time it went through but no one answered. The second and third time simply went straight to voicemail. This only meant one thing- that he purposely turned his phone off because he didn’t want to talk to me. I sighed dejectedly and got up from my couch and headed to the kitchen for some breakfast.

Not that I have an appetite, but I probably should shove something into my system before beginning my day. And at the moment, nothing sounds better than some good old cereal with a splash of cool milk. After eating, I sat uneasily on the chair while unconsciously tapping my fingers against the wooden table. Glancing at the clock on my phone which said 10:18am, I am uncertain whether the boys have already left their apartment for their schedule or not. I made my way out of my apartment and stood in front of the door outside of theirs. I leaned my ears against the door frame but didn’t hear any sounds. I decided to knock anyways. Surprisingly, I heard some shuffling sound inside and I believe I even heard a voice that went something like “Com- ungya ung…” I knocked on the door for the second time but mere silence greeted me this time around. What’s going on inside?? I guess Taehyun is telling them to not open the door for me…

I knock on the door again, saying “Taehyun-ah, I know you’re inside. Can you please open up so we could talk?”

Again, I was greeted by emptiness except for some loud television noises from another unit on the same floor. I waited outside impatiently and began tapping my foot along with the beat of the music playing from the background. I am praying for a miracle to happen, that somehow Taehyun will change his mind about everything and talk to me once again. I cleared my throat for the umpteenth time and decided to bang on the door once again. “Taehyun-ah, please… Just let me explain. I know I said something I shouldn’t have said yesterday, can’t you let me apologize? I know I’ve done wrong so please just… listen to me.” I begged a little more desperately at this point.

There was some more shuffling inside but the door was still closed. I sighed and closed my eyes, about to give up and to get back into my apartment. There’s probably no use to just wait for him to open up to me. He is most likely still mad so I’ll just give him the space he yearns for obvious reasons. I reached into my pocket to retrieve my keys but noticed that it isn’t there. My heart sank and my eyes widened. Crap, didn’t I bring my keys just now? Maybe? Maybe not? … Today’s is just not my day. I turned the door knob of my apartment, crossing my fingers and hoping that it didn’t lock from the inside.

But it didn’t open. It was locked. I am now freaking locked out of my own home.

Just my luck!

I rolled my eyes and stopped my movements for a moment, taking in the horrid reality of life that’s punishing me at maximum full speed right now. Seriously? What did I get myself into? Taehyun is ignoring me now and I can’t even go home!

Oh wait!! A smile crept onto my face and shot my arm up high in the air in victory.

I usually have a spare key under the mat of my door just in case anything like this happens! How did I forget that? I grinned excitedly and crouched down to lift up the mat but disappointment washed over me as it revealed none other than a dead cockroach. A frown made its way onto my face and I scratched the back of my head out of habit. Where the heck did my spare key go? For sure it will not be the boys that have took it… and Taehyun usually just climbs over from the balcony anyways. Plus Hyejin actually has a set of my house keys since it’s her old apartment. Who else would know I left my spare keys here? And who could have taken it…

I exhaled depressingly and leaned down onto the wall right next to my door, waiting hopelessly for something amazing and life changing to happen.

Well obviously, both you and I know something magical will not occur so I better think of an alternative.  Otherwise I will be standing outside of my apartment for a while. Good thing I have my phone though! Quickly unlocking it with the passcode, I dialed Hyejin’s number. Maybe I can take her keys instead! Please pick up, please pick up… I chanted in my head while listening to the dialing tone.

She did pick up in the end, except all she said was “I’m busy I’ll call you back later!” and the conversation was over.

I was speechless. Now what do I do? Hyejin is probably doing Big Bang’s make up in the YG building so maybe I should just go there and hope for the best? I can’t believe I am spending my morning trying to get back home. I pouted and made my way to the elevator, pressing the down button.

When the elevator door opened, it revealed someone staring back at me with a surprised face but then her expression almost immediately turned into an evil smirk after she realized who I am.

“Why hello there… Heading out Yunju-shi?” Jihyun asked a little too cynically for my liking.

I decided to ignore her and stepped into the elevator and pressed for the lobby level.

“Ignoring me isn’t going to do you know. Just like how you ignored Taehyun oppa… you’re just pushing him away. It just makes everything worse.” She smiled her little sweet smile at the end. “And for sure I’m going to take advantage of that. He trusts me now, more than you because I understand him.”

“Wait. How did you know…” I trialed off and I hear her laugh before her voice changed into a sweet tone while she talked on the phone.

“Neh, oppa! I’m outside! Can you open the door for me? Neh…” She hung up and turned back towards me. “Well well, guess I won’t be seeing you today. I’m spending the whole day with my oppas and I’ll be sure you won’t be around!” She was about to turn around but then stopped and glanced over at me again. “Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to take care of Taehyun oppa extra well for you!”

I glared at her. As much as I want to argue with her right now, I decided not to reply her anymore. Instead, I pressed for the door to close but it’s not responding! Damn elevator door is trolling me too?? It usually closes so fast but it just happens to take its time today. Just then, the door of the boys’ apartment opened, revealing a specific male that I’ve been trying to contact for the past hour. He greeted Jihyun warmly. “Hey Jihyun, come on in!” Just then his gaze caught mine when the elevator door is about to close. The smile on his face disappeared and I managed to break away our gaze at each other at the last second before the elevator door closed.

I heaved a huge sigh of relief. My body was trembling and I had to bite my bottom lip in order to not begin weeping. Just when did our relationship turn out this way? Shouldn’t I be happy to see him? But why am I feeling relieved now that I don’t have to face him? And worse of all, Jihyun is with him right now.

Maybe she’s right. Maybe she’s the one for him and I’m not. I stood in the elevator for God knows how long until someone one stepped in, giving me a weird look. I finally realized I’ve arrived at the lobby long ago but haven’t stepped out since I was daydreaming. Bowing politely to the stranger, I walked out and started to head for the YG building.

Damn, I guess I will have to walk over since I don’t even have my wallet with me for bus fare! Pouting at my miserable life, I began making my way over to the company. My throat became dry within seconds and I felt an incredible desire for something to quench my thirst. Why am I feeling so thirsty all of a sudden? Aish… If only I have my wallet…

I began eyeing all the people on the street with an ice cold beverage in their hand. How lucky… I quickened my strides, hoping the faster pace can get me to the building sooner. However, my body felt weak and my breaths began to shorten. On top of that, the humidity and heat during this early afternoon isn’t helping my situation either. Was it because I didn’t eat properly yesterday? Or was my cereal and milk expired? Aish… I shouldn’t have drunk that milk! By this point, I was walking while balancing myself by holding my weight against the wall.

Then a sudden realization hit me. Oh no. Is it coming back? But it hasn’t been back for a while now. I looked up and saw the YG building within the distance. I tried to quicken my pace but simply fell down on my knees in return. A few strangers who walked past me looked at me weirdly. I immediately got back up on my feet with much difficulty and began my journey again. My hand unconsciously gripped onto my chest as I almost have to control my own breathing with my mind. Yunju, calm down, relax, just breathe in and out.

If only I have my bag then this will be solved right away… But I don’t have my medication on me right now. 

I thought I was able to manage my way to the company but my body gave in. With shaking hands, I grabbed onto my phone and managed to dialed Hyejin’s number again. My breaths are now quick and short, trying to inhale every single last bit of oxygen in the air for my poor lungs. My vision began to blur and my knee felt weak. I didn’t care anymore. I crouched down and sat down on the sidewalk. I frantically searched for a pedestrian to help me but no one is paying attention to me. Miraculously, Hyejin picked up this time and said “Yunju-ah! What’s up? Sorry I was busy just now!”

Relief washed over me and I didn’t panic as much anymore. Hyejin knew about my condition, it’s just that it didn’t hit me for a while now and I’ve been taking my life for granted. I was about to speak into my phone but no matter how hard I tried, no voice was coming out. Heck, not even one bit of air wanted to leave my body.

“Yunju?”

I gasped for air, inhaling and exhaling with my mouth wide open. My eyesight continues to get even more blurry and my head starts to get dizzy.

“Yunju? Are you okay? Where are you?”

“I’m…” I gasped for another mouthful of air. “Out. Side!”

“Oh my God Yunju, I’m coming out. Hang on. Don’t sleep, stay awake. Where is your medication?”

I tried to answer her after gulping down some more air but my mind didn’t want to cooperate with me anymore. The next thing I knew, my vision blanked out.

---

When I woke up, an unfamiliar white ceiling stared back at me. Where am I? However, I do remember the stench around me. The smell of rubbing alcohol and overly cleaned sheets fumed into my nostrils and I knew exactly where I am already- the hospital. The one place that I despise of the most since it reminded me of my childhood. Since I had to go in and out of the hospital numerously as a young teenager, I’ve hated the hospital ever since.

“She’s awake!!”

My head snapped towards the direction of the female voice to see Hyejin grinning over my face. “Oh man Yunju, you scared me to death! I’m so glad you’re okay!” She then proceeded to hug my body.

I turned my neck towards the other direction to see a doctor checking my eyes with my flashlight hovering over my pupils. He then scribbled something onto a clip board and turned towards me. “Ms. Lee, I’m pretty sure you know what happened just now. Good thing your friend was able to get you an ambulance in time to give you proper medication. You were unconscious for approximately thirty minutes so we had to get you inside this time. I suggest you to stay here overnight to see if your condition worsens. If everything is fine, you may leave tomorrow morning.”

I nodded slowly, trying to take in all the words the doctor had just said.

“I know your condition has drastically improved the last few years but you must remember to bring your rescue medicine with you at all times. There’s no guarantee you’ll be as lucky as today next time.”

“Yes doctor… I’ll remember to bring my medication from now on.” I said guiltily.

“As well, are you still taking your preventer medicine every morning?” He glanced down at the papers on his hands and looked at me again. “I have a record that they were prescribed for you.”

“Uh… I will start taking them again.”

The doctor shook his head with a sigh. “Ms. Lee, please understand that your disease is brought down by your family. I’m not saying it can’t be cured but it’s a very rare chance. I just want you to understand that and I strongly advise you to continue taking your preventer medicine daily and to bring your inhaler everywhere. Do you understand?”

I nodded sheepishly after hearing his lecture.

After telling me to take some rest, the doctor left the room. Hyejin sat down on the chair next to my bed and held onto my hand. “I’m so glad you’re okay!! I totally didn’t expect you to call me like that!”

“Thanks Hyejin… I must have caused you a lot of trouble just now. Do you need to be at work?”

She shook her head and gave me a reassuring smile. “I told Mrs. Park about it and she understands. She actually told me to take the day off to spend it with you.” She began pouring a glass of water for me. “Besides, I already finished Big Bang’s make up for the photoshoot. I’m sure there’ll be other makeup artists available to help them touch up throughout the day.”

I pursed my lips and looked at her. “Thank you so much Hyejin-ah. I don’t know what I would do without you.”

“Yah! Speaking of which, why aren’t you taking your medication? Do you need me to remind you what happened one year ago? You practically fainted on the streets because of the pollution and all. You, out of everyone, should know better and that you always have these random asthma attacks out of nowhere. Are you sure you don’t want to move back to your home town? After all, the air there is way cleaner than Seoul.”

“But I like my job here.” I retorted. “I don’t plan on going back.”

She smiled. “Good, so listen to me and continue your medication if you want to stay here, arrasseo?”

I chuckled. “Yes mom.”

“Hey hey! Don’t say that okay!” Hyejin pretended to pout. “Do you want me to contact WINNER for you? They should probably know you won’t be able to do their makeup today. Do they have a schedule?”

When I hear her mention about them, my mind suddenly crept back to the events that happened last night and this morning. I sighed and spent the next fifteen minutes explaining what happened so far to Hyejin. She keeps overreacting… Aish this girl.

Hyejin’s eyes bulged out. “YOU GUYS GOT TOGETHER AND YOU DIDN’T EVEN TELL ME? How dare you Yunju-ah!!!!”

“Everything happened so fast! And besides, like I said, I don’t even know if we are together anymore. He looked so angry.”

“Oh come on! Of course he will forgive you. I guess he just needs some time. Don’t think so negatively girl!”

“Yeah, but I just really don’t like Jihyun. She practically keeps telling me to back off from Taehyun although he’s actually my boyfriend.” I ran my fingers through my hair in frustration. “I don’t even know what to do. Maybe she’s right, you know? That Taehyun and I aren’t actually that great of a match.”

“Whoa, hold up. Where’s the Yunju I know?” She proceeded to ‘knock’ on my head which earned herself a glare from me. “What I’m saying is, you can’t just let some random girl, okay well not random, Seungyoon’s cousin, to ruin your relationship!”

I sighed dejectedly. “I know. I think I’m just going crazy.”

“I need to tell Taehyun this. He deserves to know about your condition.”

“No!” I grabbed onto her arm, disallowing her to contact him. “I… He… I don’t think he’ll even care about me anymore.”

“Oh Yunju…” Hyejin patted my head, “Please don’t think that way. If he doesn’t know how to treasure you then screw him!”

“Well it’s not that. It’s just that… I’m afraid even if he knows about my condition that he won’t show up. Then I’ll really know that everything is over between us.” I glanced out the window to see a bunch of kids running around in the park. The feelings within me back when I was a teenager appeared again. I would always envy kids and patients who were healthy enough to be able to run and simply play outdoors. Unlike me, I had to be kept inside and wasn’t allowed to do any physical exercises. Who knew I actually went past that phase and is able to live my dream now being a makeup artist? Hyejin’s voice pulled me back out from my reminisce.

“Like I said, it’s his lost. Yunju, you’re an amazing person. You’re smart, you’re pretty and you have a shining personality. Please don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.”

I smiled genuinely at her. “Haha, well I’m not too sure about that but thank you Hyejin-ah, for always being here for me. I owe you so much…”

“Yah, don’t get so cheesy okay, I’m not used to it!” Hyejin joked and sat on the chair again. “Anyways, why did you call me in the first place?”

“Right… Well, I kind of locked myself out of my house and I know you have a key to my place so I wanted to borrow it from you.”

“What the… How the heck did you manage to do that?” Hyejin shook her head and laughing at the same time. “Wait, don’t you have a spare key under the door mat?”

“I know right? But it was gone! It wasn’t there!” I replied, still wondering where the damn key could have been. Then I wouldn’t need to find Hyejin, which meant I wouldn’t have fainted on the street from a sudden asthma attack.

“That’s odd. Well, I’ve been telling you it’s such a bad idea to hide it there. I mean come on, seriously? Under the door mat? I believe a lot of people would have guessed that and took it somehow. You should be prepared for burglars just in case!”

I gulped. “Yah… Don’t scare me. Maybe I should contact the security and ask them to change the lock for me eh?”

“That’s a better idea. But worry about that after you’re well rested okay. Are you tired? Do you want something to eat?”

“Not sure why but I’m craving Chinese.”

She smirked at me. “How about some jajangmyeon and tangsuyuk??”

“Dang girl, you know me well!”

“Alrighty, you rest up. I’ll be right back!”

She was about to open the door but it suddenly swung open. I gasped when my eyes set on a panting Taehyun that flew into the room.

I didn’t know how to respond. “What are you-“ Catching his breath, he ran up to me and gave me one of the tightest hugs ever in my life. “Oh, a hug huh? Um okay… ” I glanced at Hyejin and she smirked, while signaling to me that she’s going to leave now.

Taehyun broke apart from the hug and simply stared at me. He took a deep breath and exhaled. “I’m so sorry. I’m so glad you’re okay. How are you feeling? Huh? Are you in pain anywhere?” He began examining me as if I was stabbed by some crazy maniac. I was about to answer him but he kept talking. “I’m so so sorry, I shouldn’t have ignored you like that this morning. I was so stupid and childish and oh goodness… I didn’t know why I did that. Would you please forgive me? I promise I won’t ignore you ever again.”

My lips slowly curved up into a smile. “Of course I’ll forgive you. Actually I should be the one to apologize to you. I shouldn’t have said what I did last night. I didn’t know what got over me.” Taehyun just kept shaking his head and pulled me into a kiss then held onto me again. A tear dropped from one of my eyes and I immediately returned the hug, squeezing the daylights out of the man in front of me.

“How did you know I’m here anyways?” I asked questioningly.

“Well, I was going to the studio to record. And our boss was doing a check on our progress today when all of a sudden your department head called him and said you went into the hospital because of an emergency and that Hyejin noona is there with you already. Then I just panicked and I knew I had to come see you.” He finally stopped to catch his breath. “I was so scared I couldn’t see you anymore. She made it sound so bad like you got into an accident or something.”

I laughed at his response. “Well, here I am aren’t I! Don’t worry. I just had a slight… Asthma attack. It’s nothing too serious. I just need to get back on track with my medication schedule now.”

“Asthma? I didn’t know you had that!” Taehyun asked with concern.

“It runs in my family actually. But like I said, it’s nothing serious.” I said reassuringly, giving Taehyun a smile.

He nodded understandingly. “I’ll make sure you take your proper meds from now on.”

“Dang, what did I get myself into? A nagging boyfriend with me 24/7 now?”

“Yah. You should appreciate the things I do for you a little more.” He pouted and crossed his arms making a ‘hmph’ face.

“Arrasseo, arrasseo. You’re the best!” I said and pinched his cheeks.

Just then, the door of the room opened again and the members of WINNER along with a specific girl that I would rather not see came in.

“Omo Noona!! You’re okay!” Seunghoon exclaimed in relief.

“I was so worried! I didn’t know you have asthma!” Jinwoo said with concern filled in his voice.

“Don’t worry guys. I’m still alive, not dying okay!” I assured them all quickly.

“Whoa, hold up. Don’t jinx it!” Mino chuckled. “I’m glad to see that you’re okay though.”

“Of course she’s okay. Taehyun is here with her!” Seungyoon beamed and patted Taehyun on the shoulder.

“Right… You guys know about us now eh.” I tried to hide the embarrassment on my face with both my hands.

“It was quite obvious to be honest.” Seunghoon said. “You guys are like practically with each other the whole time.”

“So? I see you guys a lot too!” I retorted.

“Yeah, but there’s just a little something different with you two.” Seungyoon replied casually.

Feeling defeated, I rested my head on my hand. “Whatever you say.”

“Really? Because I didn’t suspect anything. Am I just bad at reading the air?” Jinwoo asked innocently, blinking those huge eyes of his.

We all shared a laugh. I looked around the room and noticed that all the guys and I are back to our old selves, laughing and joking along with each other and just having a great time from each other’s company. Oh how I’ve missed this. I thought I would never be able to experience this ever again after last night.

I also noticed Jihyun who stood by the wall, her arms folded across her chest and an angry expression adorned her visage. She’s probably mad that I am actually okay. I mentally sighed.

Just what am I supposed to do with her?