Keep in Touch!

Take Things As They Come

A/N: English is in blue. Chinese is in red. Korean is just in black :)

 

Your roommates wake you up with screams. "It. Was. AMAZING!" Sally cries, almost in tears.

Daisy is facedown on her bed, arms and legs flailing. "AHHHHHH!"

Rebecca is just beaming at you like she's reached nirvana.

"Did you guys even understand a single thing?" You roll your eyes as you sit up wearily.

"Nope! But it was still awesome! I cried when it was over, it was so good!"

"They are so much hotter in person!" Daisy declares, suddenly rolling over. "Especially Kris! He's so cold on TV but oh my god, when he smiles! And the way he speaks English!" Not very well, I bet.

"Chanyeol's voice, gah!" Sally swoons.

"I saw some girls sneak backstage," Rebecca says enviously. "I'd kill to see them close up. I'd gladly live a life in prison if I could just touch them. Chen's jaw, oh my god."

"Poor guys. No privacy. And Rebecca? You may want to get your priorities straight," you yawn. You have no patience for girls who swoon over random guys. "Can you guys go outside if you want to freak out? I'm trying to sleep. You know how I am when I don't get my sleep," you warn them. Nodding, they file out, whispering excitedly. You know that they won't be sleeping tonight.

 

***

 

Kevin is exhausted the next day. He pushes the door open with an effort and walks in, heading for the counter. "Kevin!" You wave him over. "I got our drinks already." You hold his out to him. "I figured you would need it after your important thing. It seemed like that type."

"Thanks, 寶貝." He smiles gratefully, taking the drink. You make a face at the nickname as he sits down with a sigh, but he doesn't seem to notice. "How do you just know these things?"

You shrug. "Dunno. I've just a knack for guessing. It comes in handy."

He removes his sunglasses and you narrow your eyes at him. Why are there smudges around his eyes? It almost looks like hastily removed makeup. Not that you would know; you don't bother with frivolous things like makeup. "You look like you just went through hell, Kevin."

He smiles drily. "You have no idea." Last night, fans managed to sneak backstage and make trouble. Nowhere near as insane as the sasaengs in Seoul, but still trouble. Overall, though, the concert went well. His exhaustion is to be expected, after the intense performance and celebration. Though the other members are still deep asleep in the hotel, he wanted to see you so he made himself wake up. But he doesn't say any of this. "I leave tonight, Jewel."

You nod acceptingly. You know he's deliberately hiding something, but you aren't the type to push. "Alright." You slip your textbook into your bag and head towards the door. He follows unknowingly. "What do you want to do?"

He's confused. "What?"

"It's not like I expected you to be around forever, 亦凡哥 (Yi fan brother). I know breaks in Korea aren't that long."

He nods after a moment. "Yeah."

"So, what do you want to do? I'll take you around; I know NYC like the back of my hand."

He thinks for a second. "Um, don't judge, but… Can we go shopping?" He looks at you hopefully.

You're taken aback. You're ambivalent about shopping. It's not a huge deal to you, but your friends often drag you along when they shop because of your "awesome taste."

"Sure, why not? I don't shop much, but I know some stores from going with my friends," you agree.

"You don't?" He looks at you. "I thought you did. You have a really distinct sense of style."

You look at what you're wearing. "This?" You're wearing black genie pants with a loose white tank top, a yellow tube top underneath. For shoes, you're wearing Nike high-tops. "It's just comfortable."

"You look like a dancer, actually," he tells you.

"I've heard that. I don't dance, though. Never even tried it. I like Muay Thai and other combat sports instead."

"Muay Thai? Combat sports?" He chokes on his coffee. You dare him to say something with your eyes. "Sorry. Size doesn't matter, right?" He chuckles quietly.

"Hey! You're just abnormally tall, okay? Kevin the Giant." You grumble. Your height is the only thing that bothers you about your body.

As you bicker, the TV near the door that has the news on 24/7 catches Kevin's eye. "Last night, three girls were caught illegally trespassing backstage at the stadium. Luckily, they were apprehended quickly. Let's see a quick glimpse of the concert by EXO, which was enjoyed by 10,000 fans." His eyes widen and he pulls you quickly out the door. You let him.

"Let's go, then."

 

***

 

You aren't surprised to see Kevin don his sunglasses again and pull his scarf over his lower face. You don't know why, but you don't feel inclined to ask. You're glad to see, however, that he relaxes after spending more time with you. He's been way more reserved than you remember him being when you first met him. "Let's go in here, 寶貝." He tugs your arm. His huge stature (relative to you, at least) has you walking quickly behind him in order not to trip.

"This store?" There's a burly security guard in front.

"I like these kinds of clothes," he says. You look around and shrug. Black everywhere. It's a kind of hip-hop style. Or maybe he just likes wearing black.

"Help me pick some stuff out?" He suggests with a smile, disappearing into the store.

"Sure," you laugh. You wander around grabbing things off racks left and right. Anything that you think would look good on Kevin and would fit. Instead for picking the out of the abundance of black clothes, you go mostly for grays and whites. "Hey Kevin, I'm done," you call out.

"I'm in the changing room, Jewel, come here and help me judge," he calls back from inside as he steps out.

You turn the corner and shake your head. "No way." He's wearing a baggy, oversized black shirt.

"Why not?" He pouts. He's taken off his sunglasses and scarf, and his face is fully visible for once. You resist the urge to laugh at his aegyo. He's learned some weird things in Korea. The social culture there is the strangest.

"You look like a wannabe rapper, dude."

He looks wounded. "I-" I can't believe she just said that.

Somewhere outside, there's a commotion: a girl's scream is heard, then fades away. Kevin flinches. 

"Ja," you shove the stack of clothes at him. "Try these on."

The rest of the afternoon passes quickly. All of the clothes you picked out fit perfectly, but only a few pass your judgment.

"Thanks, Jewel, you're the best," Kevin smiles, ruffling your hair as he waits for the cashier to wrap up the clothes. "Shopping has never been so efficient."

"When you go shopping with girls in Korea, does it take ages?" You guess.

"Uh, I don't really have any girl friends in Korea," he says after a pause. "You must have many guy friends though, you're really good at picking out guy clothes."

"Nope, I don't have any. There are classmates, but since I'm by myself at the café most of the time, my friends are just my roommates." You shrug, then eye him. "Your clothes right now are alright, though," you accuse. "You didn't pick them out, judging by your choice just now."

"Hey! But no, I didn't. My stylist did." A panicky look in his eyes. "I mean, a friend who's really into fashion." This is getting tiring.

"I see," you nod approvingly and head out of the store. It's kind of nice to hang out with a guy, actually. There's none of that girlish babble about shallow things.

The next store you enter, there is Korean music playing. You grimace as you can't help but listen to the lyrics. "Bwoh-ya? What is this stuff?" You complain. "Dream Girl? Why are pop songs all about girls? And idealistic ones at that? How shallow and ist."

"Yah, SHINee sunbae-deul aren't shallow or ist. They don't write their own songs, they don't have a choice as to what they perform," Kevin defends the music, then chokes and stops breathing.

"Oh my god." You stare at him. "I know what you are."

He goes white like a sheet.

"You're a closet K-popper, aren't you? I bet you want to be a singer, too! That's why you called them sunbae-deul," you accuse him, straight-faced.

He doesn't utter a word, but you can see a flicker of something like relief in his eyes.

You start laughing. "You should have seen your face! Anyway, Kevin, you don't call people sunbae unless they have more experience with something you both do. And don't worry, I won't bash what I don't know about anymore. This is the first time I've heard it anyway."

He nods jerkily. "Thanks. I-I'll keep that in mind." As you turn around to look through the racks, he lets out a breath that you don't think you're supposed to hear, so you don't acknowledge it.

Before long, the song changes. This one is just plain strange. "Wolf?" You start to laugh. "They can't even pronounce it right!" You stop looking and listen because it amuses you. "Yah, Kevin, doesn't that sound like your voice?"

He hasn't been paying attention to the music, but when you call him he suddenly grabs your arm again and pulls you out instead of acknowledging your question. "I don't really think that store is my style," he says. You shrug yet again and lead him somewhere else.

The rest of the day passes quickly, and before long, it's time for Kevin to leave, bags of clothes in hand. "I'll text you often," he says.

"Don't you dare," you tell him. His face falls, then brightens as you say: "No matter how much money we have, we're still college students. There are better things to spend money on than our phone bills. We can just Skype, can't we? There's even video. I don't have one right now but I'll make one. You'll be privileged to be the only one on my contact list. I'll name you 巨人 Kevin."

"Alright, I'll make one too, later tonight. I'll text you my username. Bye, 寶貝! You better stay in touch or I'll hunt you down again," he grins and winks as he gets into the taxi. You've gotten used to it. "The Ritz Carlton Hotel, please," he tells the taxi driver as he closes the door.