Sukira (Part III)

Take Things As They Come

A/N: English, Chinese, Korean

Sorry for the wait...

I miss him.

 

After some small talk about how Lay is so much more confident this time than he was when he performed Afraid, you and Lay get up to switch seats again. Or, Lay gets up and you try to, because suddenly the floor isn't there anymore and nor is anything else.

A split second of intense dizziness is the only thing that warns you, drawing out a surprised whisper of breath. In the next instant, your eyes roll back in your head and your legs give out as you crumple.

The only one without headphones on, Lay whips his head around at the sound of the air hissing between your teeth. His expression still teeters at the brink of apathetic as your face goes white and your eyes roll back in your head. Even so, all those who know him can see the shock in his minutely widened eyes, can almost hear the slight intake of air through his barely parted lips. All eyes were on him; now, they follow the trajectory of his gaze to you.

Kai looks up, almost too late, as you begin to fall. His arms shoot out reflexively and jolt slightly as you collapse into them. Not shocked enough to forget the cameras, he curves protectively over your fragile frame.

Meanwhile, chaos ensues as the other members explode up from their seats.

It is a credit to Ryeowook's professionalism that he immediately signals to cut to a commercial break, before any of the members can speak and betray your identity. Not a second too late. Barely a moment after the music begins to play, Chanyeol is flinging himself across the room, wailing. There's no trace of a smile on the happy virus's face now.

"Jagiya!"

The rest of the beagle line tear off their headphones and follow, panicking. "Jagi!" they cry. Baekhyun clings to Chen's arm as they hover nervously over you, motionless in Kai's arms.

"寶貝!" Luhan darts over as well, followed by Tao, who's almost out of his mind and this close to bawling. Xiumin and Kyungsoo look at each other, then opt to stay seated, two stoic islands in an ocean of utterly insane.

One person is JPG-ing hard, but for once, it's not Yixing. Frozen, Kris sits gripping the armrests of his seat so tight that his fingers turn white. It's the most terrifying thing he has ever seen. You have always been the strong one. Today was the first day that he has ever seen you really weak. He can't help but just stare at you, hating himself for ever thinking you superhuman. It's only just hit him that he's been depending on your strength too much; he's forgotten to let you depend on him.

Kai is still hunched over you and has no idea what to do. You're lying limp halfway across his lap, legs in a tangle. Eyes wide, he looks up as a shadow falls over him.

Sehun drags your hood back into place. "Jongin." The maknae gestures for Kai to hand you over, already slipping his arm under your knees.

The stunned dancer doesn't hesitate to comply. It's something in the firm set of the younger's lips, he thinks. He sees it and he just knows that Sehun will deal with it.

Veins bulge slightly as the lean maknae hoists you up, the sudden movement making the rest of the members scatter outward like so many leaves in a gust of wind. Baekhyun and Chen flit around worriedly behind him. Tao is so close that he's practically breathing down Sehun's neck; the younger has to be careful not to trip.

Kris jerks slightly as a hand falls on his shoulder. It's Suho, eyes full of understanding and encouragement, so much that Kris can hardly bear it. He puts his head in his hands and takes a deep, shuddering breath before forcing himself to stand up just in time to fix your hood as Sehun walks calmly past.

Xiumin sighs, relieved, you're carried out of the booth. He looks at Kyungsoo again, then nods at the computer. Someone needs to monitor the fans. The younger man nods. Serious, the baby-faced elder walks around the table to sit with the vocal. Exhaling tiredly, they begin to read the texts. Ryeowook soon returns to stand over them.

Outside the recording booth, the other members are gathered around as Sehun lowers you gently onto the couch.

"Wait," Luhan stops him. Taking off his jacket, he folds it up and slides it under your head, making sure the zippers are out of the way.

"What happened, Kris hyung?" Sehun questions the taller, shell-shocked male kneeling by your head. "Did she skip lunch again?"

"I don't know-" Kris blanches. Oh. She must have. "Yes… I think she did."

"You should have gotten noona something to eat before dragging her here," Sehun rebukes him. "Now look what happened again."

"That's not entirely it, but I can't tell you exactly what happened," Kris pleads, trying to explain himself to the maknae. "Sehun-"

Sehun turns on his heel and re-enters the recording booth to help Xiumin and D.O..

 The others are all in disbelief. Did the roles switch at some point?

"Ge, why didn't you get her something to eat?" Tao interjects repetitively.

"Huang Zitao, not now," Kris snaps, not looking up from you.

The bystanders grin slightly. That's more like it.

Still on the verge of tears, Tao retreats behind Luhan like a whipped puppy. The elder reaches up and pats his head absently, scrutinizing your face for any signs of waking up.

Kris removes your mask before jostling you lightly. "寶貝, wake up," he whispers shakily. "Jewel, wake up," he repeats. "Wake up," he begs, hoarse.

"Duizhang." Lay steps forward. "I think she's just sleeping. Look at her." They all look. Your face is peaceful, and you've regained a bit of color. "We should just let her sleep. We're almost done, anyway."

Suho nods. "She looks exhausted."

"Jagi should be fine if we just bring her home and give her food, right?" Baekhyun asks. Jongdae's arms are still wrapped tightly around the taller man. He nods, jaw chafing against Baekhyun's shoulder.

"I guess so," Kris answers hesitantly. He's loath to leave you alone. Who knows how you'll react when you wake up in a strange environment?

"I'm sure she'll be fine," Luhan murmurs, placing a comforting hand on Kris' shoulder. "She's strong," he continues, hiding his own worry for you.

Kris nods and gets up, but doesn't turn to go back in.

Chanyeol appears beside him, throwing an arm around him. "Jagi will be okay," he pipes, subdued but attempting to lighten the mood.

Kris flashes him a grateful but preoccupied smile. "Thanks, Yeol. Does anyone have Peniel's number?"

"No, but you know Do Dyo has Hyunsik's," Baekhyun answers first. "Wae, hyung?"

He doesn't answer. Instead, he opens the recording booth door.

"Three minutes, guys," Ryeowook calls.

"Arasoyo, hyung," Suho acknowledges, entering to stand behind D.O., Sehun, and Xiumin.

"Kyungsoo-yah, give me your phone, will you?" Kris asks in a tone that brooks no argument.

Having noticed your interaction with Peniel yesterday, D.O. can guess at what Kris is thinking. "Araso."

Kris paces impatiently, staring at the incessantly ticking clock, as the call connects.

"Kyungsoo-ah!" a cheerful voice greets.

"Hyunsik-ah, it's Kris."

"Oh! Hyung, annyeonghaseyo! Why…."

"Can I speak to Peniel? It's urgent."

"Now isn't a good time, hyung. He's been virtually out of his mind since morning. Incoherent. None of us know why."

"Who is it, hyung?" someone calls in the distance.

"Kris hyung," Hyunsik replies, muffled.

The sound of rapidly approaching footsteps. "Yah-"

"Kris!" Peniel practically sobs into the phone. "Where's Jewel? Is she okay? I got a call this morning-"

"You heard, too? She told you?"

"Someone told me," he answers evasively.

Who? Kris wonders briefly, but Ryeowook's urgent hand motions remind him to hurry up. "Are you free right now? Can you come to the KBS building? You know, where Sukira broadcasts from? Jewel is here."

"Is she-"

Kris cuts him off, already opening the door to the studio. "Just come, okay? I have to go." Before Peniel can reply, he hangs up, handing the phone to Kyungsoo. "Gomawo."

"Soon?" is all D.O. asks.

"Hopefully," Kris sighs, sitting down and adjusting his seat so that he can see you through the window. As the commercials come to an end, Xiumin briefs him on the situation with the fans.

Ryeowook pats him on the shoulder before counting down. "Live in three, two, one- Annyeonghaseyo, listeners! Kris?"

"Yes. Thanks for the concern, everyone. My friend has had an upsetting day, and it seems that it has taken its toll. I'm sure your encouragement will cheer him up when he regains consciousness."

"Let's all hope he recovers well from today," Ryeowook says brightly. "Meanwhile, Baekhyun- It seems you've been casted for a musical?"

 

***

 

Kris's cryptic order has Peniel tossing the phone down.

"Yah-" Hyunsik complains, grunting as the device lands on his abs.

"Sorry!" Peniel calls as he dashes to his room, nearly slamming into the doorframe as he tries to take off his sweats at the same time. Hopping around with one leg in a pair of black harem pants, he dials a number.

"Hyung, where are you going?" Sungjae asks, pouting. He's been bored since morning because his favorite Donggeun-hyung has been too busy freaking out to entertain him.

"Huh? Sungjae-yah, don't bother me right now," Peniel replies absently, fumbling with his belt, which won't go through his belt loops. Oblivious to the look of hurt on the maknae's face and to his quiet comment ("Those pants don't have belt loops, hyung.") Peniel gives up. "Tell the others I'm going out, araji? Gomawo."

Grabbing his phone from where it's clenched between his shoulder and ear, he brushes past the sulking Sungjae and heads for the door.

"Hey! It's Peniel. Listen- I know where she is."

 

***

 

Kris is almost frantic with worry by the time five minutes has passed. Every time you shift minutely, he just knows you're waking up.

Not long after recording begins again, a hooded figure enters the room. Peniel bows to the sound technicians and producers before making a beeline for the couch. Relieved, Kris sits back, but immediately straightens up, frowning. A second hooded figure has entered behind the first and is standing next to the door, keeping his face hidden. Who is that? For some reason, he doesn't think it's one of the BTOB members.

 

***

 

"How is she?"

"Why don't you come see for yourself?" Peniel says instead of replying, but he already knows the answer.

The figure by the doorway shakes his head. "I can't."

"She really doesn't recognize you." It's a statement, not a question. Peniel saw for himself, yesterday.

Mark doesn't reply.

"Why can't you start over?" Peniel suggests heavily.

A bitter smile. "Is it that easy?"

Peniel knows it's not, watching Mark as he watches you. "She looks ok," he finally says.  "Tired. You said it happened today?"

"I didn't. Three days ago- she only found out today," Mark corrects him dully. The loss of the people who cared for him like he was their own child–it hurt him too. But what hurts more is the impossibility of suffering the pain together with you.

Peniel's eyes widen. "What?!"

"They couldn't reach her." And when they asked me, I couldn't either. "That's why it was so important to find her. You can imagine how she reacted."

"No, I know how she reacted." Peniel winces as he pulls up your sleeves to confirm what he already knows. "She took it out on herself."

Mark is struck in the heart by the conviction of Peniel's statement, evidence of long and intimate interaction with you. It reveals just how much of your life he has missed.

"How…"

"Muay Thai became her outlet after-" Peniel hesitates. "-you left." Both of them looked pained as they hear the words remaining unsaid, almost deafening in their ugliness.

A few moments of aching silence, and then a burst of sound is let out as the door to the recording studio opens. Gaze torn away from you, Mark is pinned for a moment by Tao's eyes before he slips quickly out the door and disappears.