A one-sided reunion

Take Things As They Come

A/N: It's been a long time. 

Thai, Chinese, Cantonese, English, Korean

“Cabin crew, please prepare for landing.”

Kris startles awake as the seatbelt sign flashes on, accompanied by a dinging sound. A weight on his right shoulder turns out to be Tao’s weary head. With a rueful smile, he reaches over and fastens the younger’s seatbelt for him, careful not to jostle him. Pulling out his phone, he waits to turn it on so he can text you.

In the row behind him, Kyungsoo stares out the window, thinking. Songs? Narsha sunbae’s I’m in Love is so pretty but it’d be weird if I told Jagi- His brain stutters and he fights off a blush. Maybe not that song.

Sehun frowns, staring at the seat in front of him. I wonder if noona is alright.

Xiumin fiddles with his earphones. I hope she eats a proper meal today.

Lay thinks seriously, brow furrowed. How can I help her cultivate her own style?

And so on. Each of the members somehow find their thoughts drifting to you.

I wish we didn’t have to leave.

 

***

 

BEAST, being the smaller group, argues and wins the right to have you in their van for the ride to the Thai restaurant.

Pen shrugs and lets you go with an easy smile. He’s used to your ability to endear yourself to most everyone within hours of meeting them. “Don’t bully them too much, J, they might take it out on me,” he jokes, waving as he gets into the other van. His smile fades and he starts to worry just after he turns away, however, and he can barely stop himself from calling the whole lunch off.

The lack of sleep hits you as soon as you ensconce yourself in between Gikwang and Yoseob, the latter of whom mysteriously replaced Dongwoon, who had been sitting next to you previously. As the lot of you drive off, you feel your eyelids growing heavy despite yourself. . A flash of foreboding hits you just before you fall into slumber, lolling onto Gikwang’s shoulder.

Cigarette smoke. A hand, pawing at your hips. Your phone, on the ground.

Sharp blossoming pain spiking spreading-

You jerk awake with a cry, panting and clutching your waist. Gikwang throws an arm out and stops you from lurching forward as the car comes to a slightly abrupt stop at a red light. Doojoon twists around to look at you, startled. In fact, every one of the BEAST members stares at you, but you pay no heed, clenching your teeth and pressing down on the wound that feels so real in your side.

Wide-eyed, you lift your shirt with trembling hands and see the scar there, barely raised now, though still slightly off-color. Even as you pass a finger over it, the phantom, debilitating pain that had just radiated from it fades. This is the worst it’s been, you realize. It must be because of remembering the night’s events, and Mark. What must I do to resolve this?

Only now noticing the members’ concern, you drop the hem of your shirt sheepishly. “Mian, oppa-deul, had a nightmare,” you apologize for the scare.

The members tactfully decide not to ask you about the scar. Maybe when she’s more comfortable with us.

Shocked out of drowsiness, you stay determinedly awake and watch the passing city tiredly. Thankfully, before long, you arrive.

Wiwat’s waiting outside the restaurant, beaming. To his credit, he just bows with a simple “Annyeonghaseyo, Wiwat-ibnida” before leaping at you and grabbing you by the upper arms. “Jewel, you look like you just jumped out of a grave,” he scolds. “Do I need to go beat up those twelve buffoons?”

“Ah, I’m fine, Wiwi,” you laugh tiredly. “Just not sleeping so well. I’m starving though, let’s hurry in. We can wait for GOT7 to eat but let’s order first.”

 

 

***

 

All too soon (before Mark can obliterate all sensory input except for the slightly discolored grey of the van ceiling), the van draws up to the curb, next to a small Thai restaurant.

“Guys, we’re here,” JB rouses the dozing members.

“Get out for food!” Yugyeom cheers, swatting everyone to get out.

“Alright, geez,” Youngjae grumbles.

“Looks like BTOB and BEAST are already here,” Jackson notes, glancing at the rows of shoes lined up by the door. He frowns, puzzled, when he notices two extra pairs, one small, obviously female.

BamBam brightens up when he sees them. Just like home, he thinks wistfully, then snaps to attention. “Hyung, you have to take off your shoes,” he stops Mark, who’s still shaken by memory, from stepping inside.

“Hm? Oh, OK. Sorry,” Mark mumbles, sighing as he complies. He rakes a tired hand through his hair as he steps barefoot into the family restaurant, stifling a yawn. “Peniel texted to say they’re in the back.”

Sawatdee-ka,” a Thai woman emerges to greet the group, bowing.

Sawatdee-krup,” BamBam beams, bowing back.

The woman smiles kindly. “My name is Nam. Your friends are in the back,” she gestures and leads the way.

BamBam practically bounces into the hallway, making the rest of his group (minus Mark, who seemed to be engulfed in a cloud of gloom) grin.

“Kyeopta,” Junior laughs, following.

 

***

 

Not long after you sit down between Peniel and Wiwat, you hear voices outside. On cue, the sliding door opens to reveal Nam, followed by GOT7. BamBam bounds into the room and stops, surprised. “Oh! It’s Mona Lisa!”

“What?” you hear. It’s a shocked, dreading voice that you recognize now. Mark.

“Sawatdee-ka,” you grin, bowing seated as the rest of GOT7 file in.

Sawatdee-krup,” Wiwat laughs, bowing as well. “I’m Wiwat.”

“You can thank this one for the restaurant choice.” You prod Wiwat’s bicep. “I suggested that Peniel invite you. I guess you probably miss good Thai food, right?”

Smiling, BamBam plops down opposite you and Wiwat. “More than you could know. Thank you.”

“Hey, we never got introduced,” JB notes. He pokes BamBam with his foot. “Up!”

BamBam scrambles up.

“Come and get it, GOT7! Annyeonghaseyo, GOT7-ibnida!” They greet you and introduce themselves individually.

Mark, you look so tired, you note sadly, but maintain the smile on your face. “Annyeong~ Mona Lisa-ibnida!” You wave cheerfully. “Just kidding, don’t you dare call me that. My real name is Jin Ae, but you can call me Jewel. Please sit, everyone.”

“Ask her what her Chinese name is,” Peniel prompts as everyone sits, stifling a laugh.

You glare at him menacingly.

“What’s your name?” Jackson grins.

...” you divulge begrudgingly. “The EXO boys have taken it upon themselves to call me寶貝(bao bei) or Jagi.”

You don’t miss the look in Mark’s eyes as they flash to yours when you say this. She lets them call her that?

“So I guess I can’t deny you guys the same privilege,” you continue mock-haughtily. “You can call me any of those names, or something else if you must.”

“I think I’ll call you bi4 bi1 (baby),” Jackson declares impishly, completely open to the idea of calling you as if you were his sweetheart.

You burst out laughing. “Okay, go4 go1 (brother),” you agree, startling him with your Cantonese. “That’s a new one.”

Unconsciously, you make eye contact with Mark, then wrench your gaze away.

“So how did all of this happen?” Junior asks, curious. “I mean, you ending up on Weekly Idol and all that. Unless you don’t want to talk about it, of course.”

“Well,” you start, exhaling with a smile. “I met Kris a few years ago, on a plane to NYC...” You relate everything, explaining the connections, skimming over how bad the initial separation from EXO was. “...and then I met Wiwat while I was in self-imposed exile.”

“Oh! What happened at Inkigayo?” Yugyeom asks. “Were you sick?”

“You can say that,” you affirm uncomfortably. “I get claustrophobic sometimes when my condition is bad.”

Jackson puts a hand on Mark’s shoulder. “But bro, how did you notice her to jump off the stage and catch her? That was pretty dangerous, and bringing her backstage was damn risky in itself.”

Mark, who previously was staring at the table, spasms slightly when Jackson touches him. “What?”

Jackson repeats the question. Everyone stops their individual conversations and listen, curious.

“Well, she was wearing a neon shirt,” he mumbles, panicking. “And she looked unwell...”

“There have been plenty of incidents like these where people get too crowded,” Youngjae points out. “Why her? And why didn’t you just let Wiwat take her?”

Mark hesitates, put on the spot. He makes eye contact with you, finally, as if unwillingly, and opens his mouth.

There’s a knock on the door, and Nam comes in, laden with the first of the many dishes you ordered.

Phew, Peniel thinks.

Should I tell him I know? You wonder, divided.

I can’t tell her, Mark thinks, agonized.

“I can’t help but notice your knuckles,” Nam says, addressing you. “My husband practices too. Would you like some cream? It will help them heal without scarring,” she offers.

“No, th-”

She would, thanks,” Wiwat answers for you, shutting you up with an elbow to the ribs. Nam covers a smile and nods.

“You practice Muay Thai?” BamBam asks, awed.

The guys are all effectively distracted from the topic of Mark’s rescuing you.

“No , that’s so cool,” Jackson gasps. “We do tumbling, tricking and stuff but not actual martial arts.”

“Can you show us?” Gikwang asks eagerly.

“Can’t you see her knuckles are beaten up?” Mark cuts in crossly.

Yoseob, Gikwang, Minhyuk and Jackson furrow their brows at him.

“Chill, 恩恩(En En),” you soothe him, chuckling. . Slipped up already.

He in a breath, shocked. She... called me En En again.

“We can spar without me using my fists, right, Wiwi?” You change the subject.

Wiwat looks at you doubtfully. “I dunno, Kris told me-”

“No fists,” you repeat, pinning him with a stare.

He caves, not questioning whether or not you can do it. He’s seen you practice. “Okay, but there’s no space.”

“My husband has a small studio inside, I’ll lead you all there after your meal,” Nam says, smiling slightly, before leaving with the tray.

 

***

 

Finally. Kris waits impatiently for his phone to connect to the local network, then sends his message.

Sehun, Luhan, and Kyungsoo each send messages of their own. 

 

***

 

From: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

 

How are you feeling now? Did you eat yet? Don’t tell me you’re practicing!

 

Your phone buzzes with Kris’ text, but before you reply, you receive three more in succession.

 

From: The Kid

 

Noona, how are you? Eat something.

 

 

From: Bambi

 

Miss you already, 寶貝. Make sure you eat!

 

From: Soo oppa

 

Just A Friend. David Tao.

 

You laugh at this last, brusque one. But again, before you can reply, one more comes in.

 

From: Soo oppa

 

Eat lunch.

 

“I’m guessing EXO just arrived in China?” Peniel asks drily.

You nod absently, typing. Mark looks bereft.

At the other end of the table, Yoseob purses his lips.

 

To: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

 

I’m fine, at lunch now with BTOB, BEAST, GOT7. Wiwat’s here too. We’re going to demonstrate some sparring but I promise I won’t use my fists.

 

To: The Kid

 

Aw, Sehunnie~ I’m fine, eating as I type. Don’t bully your hyung-deul!

 

To: Bambi

 

Miss you too, Bambi-ge~ You should eat too! However else will you bulk up and look like the man you are? ;)

 

To: Soo oppa

 

Trying to friendzone me, I see. I’m eating now, you make sure you eat too~

 

 

Setting your phone aside, you look up and catch Mark staring at you. Flashing a quick but painfully intimate smile at him, you ignore the pang in your chest as you turn away. You pretend not to notice his distraught expression. I’m so sorry, En En. Wait a little longer, okay?

 

“Eat up, everyone!”