That's an idea.

Take Things As They Come

A/N: English, Chinese, Cantonese

Our EXO has a ton of members! I'm sorry if any oppa-deul stay silent too much, but there are too many members and too few lines! Just drop me a line down below if you want any member to appear more :)

 

All too soon, Kyungsoo's voice makes its appearance.

"Goddamnit, I probably look like an idiot," you whisper furiously as you your arms out to either side, mimicking the video. "Kris, I'm going to kill you!" you threaten as you grab Kyungsoo's cap off his head and do the whole lot of posturing that is Kris's part there. Passing the cap to Suho, you manage a slight grin at his surprised face before hopping, taking ridiculously gigantic bounds in order to match the boys' longer legs. Kris snickers on the sidelines. You are so dead, 吳亦凡.

Don't make a fool of yourself, Jewel. It's just like the Muay Thai routines. Except not. Concentrate! Your eyes blank as you replay Growl in your mind. Suddenly, Kris goes out of frame. Goddamnit! Your movements stutter slightly before you recall their run-through earlier. Phew. As the song continues, you relax a bit and just let your body mimic whatever you saw Kris do, down to the last detail of his eyes, his posture as he raps, his gestures. Before long, it's over.

"Whooooo," Kris whoops, coming over to you with the rest of the members in tow.

"Wow, you really do know it," Tao says admiringly.

"Wow, you really don't know how to dance," Kai says disapprovingly.

"Your face! Your hands! Exactly like duizhang!" Luhan giggles.

"You know the moves, but you're just copying," explains Lay. "With a memory like that, you have huge potential. And considering you're just trying to copy what you saw, your coordination is amazing. You have great control over your body."

"And that's the most I've ever heard you talk," you tell him. "Well, Kris, I did it, now go practice." You turn and go back to the couch.

"That's it?" Chanyeol says.

"You're going to end it just like that?" Lay asks, aghast. "But 寶, if you could just practice it some more, commit it to muscle memory, make it your own-"

You sigh and repeat yourself. "I can't dance."

"No such thing- practice makes perfect!" Lay drags you off the couch. "I can't bear to see you go to waste. Replace me this time," he orders you, then sits down to observe.

"Goddamnit, guys…" You sigh as the music begins again. You wait again for D.O.'s lines. You don't see at all how this could miraculously render you able to dance.

Lay smiles. He enjoys helping the others with their dancing, but he's never taught anyone from scratch before. This could be interesting. He can tell that you're simply mimicking his actions. However, your movement doesn't seem to require any effort. If he could somehow help you cultivate your own style, you could be huge in the entertainment industry. He has a feeling about it. I wonder what she can do with that voice?

 

***

 

After several run-throughs of Growl, Chinese version, the thirteen of you take a break. You have replaced other members in their parts: Suho, Luhan, Chanyeol, Baekhyun. Each time, it was the same problem. You copied their movements down to the last detail, so that you appeared virtually identical to them.

"You need to learn how to make the movements your own style," Lay tells you again. "She needs to do that," he tells everyone. They nod, humoring him.

"Annyeong, hoobae-deul!" A blonde boy calls cheerfully, walking through the door. "Oh, who's this?" He asks curiously upon seeing you. "A new trainee?" He guesses, looking at your clothes.

"不是 (bu shi/no)," you answer before anyone else can.

He's shocked. "Ah, 你好," he stutters.

"Hey, Henry. This is 寶," Kris tells him. "A friend of mine from New York." He introduces you. "This is Henry, a sunbae from Super Junior. He's also from Canada."

"Oh, nice to meet you," he smiles, shaking your hand.

"Nice to meet you too," you respond. "You can call me Jewel, Jin Ae, anything you want."

"You know three languages?" He asks, surprised.

"More than," Kris laughs.

"Wow!" He's amazed. "That's awesome. So what are you doing in Seoul, Jewel?" he asks, reverting to Korean for the benefit of the others.

"I'm studying here as part of an exchange program for med students between Seoul University and Columbia University."

"You must be pretty intelligent then," he says admiringly.

"She has photographic memory," Baekhyun interjects.

Henry's eyes grow wide. "Oh my god, really? That could be so useful for learning choreo and lyrics!"

"I've heard," you laugh. "It's not that useful for me though. It just makes college incredibly dull… I have all the textbooks in my head."

"She doesn't even go to any classes," Kris tells him.

"I go to the labs," you clarify.

"Just graduate early," Henry jokes.

You stare at him. Everyone else stares at him too.

He chuckles nervously. "Was that not funny?"

"No, that's not a bad idea," you muse. "Actually, I'm not so interested in graduating early, but if I accelerated…" You've enrolled in the maximum number of courses already, but if you could just manage somehow to get Seoul University to let you take the exams for the present courses, you could take something you haven't learned yet. " I'll go see the dean tomorrow to talk about this," you say. "If they let me, I can receive credit for the courses I'm taking now and take others instead." You look at Henry with shining eyes. "Thanks!"

"I was just kidding…" he trails off. "Yah… You're really smart."

Kris claps you on the back proudly. "Yup! My 寶貝 is daebak, right?"

"Yah, Kris, I thought she was just a friend!" Henry exclaims. "Are you two-"

"As if," you snort. "The date I date him will be the day I lose my memory. That is to say, never."

"Yah, are you saying you don't want to date me?" Kris demands.

The others laugh like it's the funniest thing they've ever heard.

"That's our Jagi," Baekhyun hi-fives you between giggles.

"Whoa there, hold up, are you-" Henry's flustered.

"Ani," you chuckle. "It's their 'special' nickname for me… The direct translation of 寶貝." You roll your eyes. "They think they're so clever."

"Ah, I see, because your name is 寶," Henry realizes, then laughs. "I think that's pretty clever."

"You're all the same," you accuse him. "They're going to get into all sorts of trouble if someone overhears," you grumble. "Don't say I didn't warn you!"

"Jagi, don't worry so much," Henry reassures you, picking up the nickname casually. Probably because he's from Canada. "Anyway, kids, just wanted to drop in and say hi! Annyeong!" He pauses after getting up. "Ah, Chanyeol-ah, you should record another song with me sometime on guitar. It was fun!"

"Araso, hyung!" Chanyeol agrees brightly.

Henry leaves as you call: "Thanks again!"

Suddenly, the prospect of being able to get all of your boring classes over with hits you again. Really hits you.

"I can learn so many new things if they let me take the exams early!" You exclaim. "Latin, Japanese, Arabic, Greek, " You reel off a dizzying list, eyes bright with excitement, as the twelve boys stare at you bemusedly. "Not just languages, though, everything. Everything I haven't learned before. Stuff outside of what the university offers, too."

"Learn to dance," Lay suggests, smiling slightly.

"Teach me!" You turn to him, serious. He grins and nods. He was planning to anyway. "Teach me how to play guitar," you say suddenly, turning to Chanyeol. He's surprised to see you look at him.

"Bwoh?"

"Learn to sing," Kyungsoo murmurs quietly, but Baekhyun picks it up and grins.

"Learn to sing!" He repeats.

You blink at them, then flash them an unsure but game smile. "Uh… Sure, why not." They look surprised. "I want to learn everything," you say determinedly.

"Araso, 寶貝, we got it. Calm down," Kris puts a hand on your shoulder. "You haven't even asked the dean about it yet."

It's like a bucket of cold water. "Right." You look downcast for a moment. "He'll probably let me, right?"

Joonmyeon asks, "You mentioned a lot of languages. But you're a med student, aren't you?"

"Medicine was something I chose on a whim. Nothing interests me enough to study it for four years," you explain. "But if I could accelerate through courses, I could do everything, and then choose what I like best."

"If you did all those languages, you could be a translator," Chen points out.

"It sounds interesting," you shrug. "I don't want to be stuck in one place forever, anyhow. Being a translator means I would get to travel."

"You could be our translator jie jie (noona)," Tao suggests shyly.

Kai nods. "It would be so much nicer than having those translator noona-deul who we don't even know." It seems like he's softening up to you after getting over your instant memorization of Growl's choreography. Sehun too.

"Noona, but if you complete the med courses, will they even let you stay in Korea? You said the exchange program is for med students," the maknae asks, subdued. It's almost as if he wants you to stay.

"Why, want me to leave?" You tease.

"A-ani- I mean, I don't have any opinion," he denies, flushing.

"Would you stay?" Kris asks you, not meeting your eyes.

"Worst comes to worst, I transfer to Seoul University." You nudge him reassuringly. "I'm not about to leave after such a short time here. At least I'll stay the year, like I planned to."

"How are you so confident that they would let you?" Xiumin wants to know. "Seoul University isn't just some little college with a high acceptance rate," he says defensively.

"I'm pretty sure I could transfer into pretty much any university." You say this as a statement of fact. There's not even a hint of boast in your tone.

"Yah… I wish I could be that confident," Luhan sighs enviously.

You let out a laugh and punch him playfully. "Bambi, with looks like that, why aren't you?"

The serious, contemplative atmosphere dissolves into amicability at your antics.

 

***

 

After some chit-chat and some more practice (you followed along at the side of the room), the twelve members break for lunch. As they argue about what to order for take-out, though, you decide to leave.

"Actually, guys, I'm going to go and talk to the dean now," you say. "The earlier the better," you grin sheepishly when they look amused at your excitement. "Annyeong~"

You almost run to the dean's office, hoping he's not busy. Fortunately, since it's early in the year, he hasn't had any students schedule meetings with him yet.

"Annyeonghaseyo, hagjang-nim (dean)."