寶貝~

Take Things As They Come

A/N: English is in blue. Chinese is in red. Cantonese is orange. Korean is just in black :)

 

"Otteokhae?" Chen wails.

Suho calls Kris again. "Hyung! Did you find them?" His face falls. "Okay… Please find them, hyung."

Xiumin is standing at the window, looking down at the street. It's all his fault. He should have reminded Luhan and Sehun to bring their phones, or gone out with them, or something. Tao comes up next to him. "Xiumin hyung." He joins him in silently wishing for their safe return.

Baekhyun and Kyungsoo are out deflecting the manager's questions. He hasn't seen Sehun, Luhan, or Kris all day and is wondering what they're doing. "They're sleeping," Kyungsoo says.

"They're watching a movie-" Baekhyun says at the same time.

They look at each other. "I mean, they fell asleep while watching a movie," Baekhyun says carefully.

"What movie?" The manager asks dubiously.

"Froz-" Baekhyun begins.

"Die Ha-" Kyungsoo starts.

"That was yesterday," Kyungsoo says authoritatively. "Today they're watching Frozen."

"Oh, right. Yeah," Baekhyun nods weakly. "Yeah."

Tag-teamed, the manager narrows his eyes and walks away. He'll believe them. For now.

Chanyeol is sitting in the lobby, staring wide-eyed outside. He's forgotten to bundle up, so passers-by can see him in the entirety of his 185 cm, huge-eyed, elf-like glory.

Kai is wandering around like a lost sheep. Unlike Chanyeol, he's remembered to at least wrap a scarf around himself, masking his distinctive nose. Lay finally finds him and takes him downstairs, making sure his own blond hair is properly covered by a black hoodie. "Let’s just wait here with Yeol," he says. "They'll turn up soon."

Kai asks helplessly: "Do you think the sasaengs got them?"

It's almost midnight and all the boys in the hotel have fallen asleep, except for Suho. From time to time he phones Kris to find out his status, but mostly he paces around aimlessly. The others are exhausted from worrying.

Lay wakes up when someone slips his hood from his head. He blinks sleepily at the two people in front of him, then stands up and hugs them quietly, eyes closed in contentment. He knew they would turn up.

Kai and Tao are hard to wake up at first, but when their sleep-fogged brains realize who it is in front of them, they wail and hug their respective people.

Kai grabs Sehun and squeezes him tightly. "Sehunnie, you pabo!"

Meanwhile Tao runs into Luhan's arms and cries into the top of his head. "Stupid Lu-哥!"

Suho shrieks upon seeing his two bandmates return from the dead, and passes right out from relief and exhaustion. The piercing sound has the entire room in chaos as the members wake up and swarm Luhan and Sehun.

In Suho's hand is his phone, currently connecting to Kris again. Lay picks it up. "隊長(Duizhang), they're back!" He hands Luhan the phone.

"Sorry, 亦凡, I know you were worried," he apologizes.

"You shouldn't have left us - none of this would have happened," Sehun tells him, taking the phone.

"Yah, Sehunnie, he's been out since noon looking for us! Be a little grateful, will you? He didn't know we forgot our phones and wallets," Luhan scolds.

Sehun wilts as his self-righteousness crumbles. "Th-thanks, Kris hyung," he says meekly.

"Come back now?" Luhan says before hanging up.

The others want to know how he and the maknae made it back. He tells them word-for-word what happened, unable to mask his excitement. Sehun sits quietly and listens.

"Wow, she sounds amazing!"

"You should've been more careful, hyung."

"What was her name, Lu-哥?"

Unable to answer, he frowns. Didn't he ask for her name? His face crumples as he realizes he hadn't given her his either. It had never occurred to him; people just knew who he was.

"I don't know…"

 

***

 

The next day, he finds you skimming a textbook. He sets down your respective drinks. For you, an iced chai tea latte with extra whipped cream. For him, an iced black coffee with a hazelnut shot. Unusual.

"What are you reading? Or flipping through?" He asks, taking off his sunglasses. He sits facing deliberately away from the window, you notice, and keeps his scarf and beanie on. Black again.

"Oh, nothing. Just more stuff I already know," you reply carelessly as you shut the textbook.

He waits for you to explain.

"I self-studied college material in high school because the coursework was too easy. Now that I'm in college, I already know everything. I've already memorized every textbook we ever use," you roll your eyes.

"Is that why you're always here? You don't seem like you even attend classes."

"Yeah, I just go to the labs, the ones I can't miss. The seminars are ridiculously useless though. I swear, they say the same thing a hundred different ways. You stay for five minutes and you already learn everything you would in an hour."

"Wow, your IQ must be through the roof," he muses disbelievingly.

You know how Koreans put so much stock on IQ. You roll your eyes again and shake your head. "I don't know mine, but I've got perfect recall," you volunteer.

"That's crazy! Come to think of it though, that thing with the bookmark all those years ago… It makes sense."

"So that's why you knew to come in here," you realize. "I've been coming to this coffee shop since the start of high school."

"Yeah, I didn't really remember the name, but I felt like coming in here. Lucky, huh?" He laughs. "I wish I had perfect recall. That would be so useful in memorizing lyrics and choreography," he blurts out, then stares, wide-eyed like he's said something he shouldn't have.

"Yeah, it would," is all you say. Why would he mention lyrics and choreo?

"Do you have any music on that?" He changes the topic, pointing at your iPhone. "What kind of music do you listen to? K-pop, by any chance?" He teases.

You tell him that your friends are crazy about K-pop, that they often try and get you to listen. "And do you?" He asks. You shake your head.  Oddly, he looks relieved, but a little disappointed too. He's asked you that before, you think, but pass it off as forgetfulness.

"I don't have time for bubbly music," you shrug. "Do you listen to it?"

"Nope. Do you listen to American music then?"

"No, actually. I don't listen to much music at all. Occasionally, I listen to Jay Chou, but that's it. I like his lyrics."

"You like Jay Chou? He's my idol!"

"My country, yo~" You brag.

"You're Taiwanese!" He exclaims.

"Aw, you can't tell?" You pout. He narrows his eyes at you.

"Stop the cute, or I'll call you 寶貝(darling) for the rest of the day," he threatens.

"Wae, , that's mean!"

He freezes and shakes his head after a few seconds. "You realize you just said that in three languages, right?"

You laugh. "I can say it in six! Seven if you count a dialect," you say.

"You're kidding me. Which? Including the dialect?"

"English, Mandarin, Korean, Spanish, French, Thai, and Cantonese," you list.

"I speak Canto!" He exclaims. You high-five. "I know you got English from living here, Mandarin from your mother, Korean from your father, and Spanish and French probably from school, but how did you learn Thai and Canto?"

"My father brought me to a business seminar in Hong Kong once while my mother was on vacation with friends. I picked Canto up there," you explain.

"And how long was the seminar?" He asks skeptically.

"Oh, about two weeks," you estimate.

"Perfect recall again?"

You nod and wave it off like a compliment. "Thai I got from staying in Thailand for two weeks over the summer doing service."

"Dat perfect recall," he sighs enviously. "It would be so useful to learn Thai, we have so many f- I mean, it's such a nice country. I'd like to visit."

Only a little after noon, Kevin gets a call. "Yeobosayo?" He cringes. "Already? Araso! Araso! I'll be right there," he yelps and gets up hurriedly as he hangs up. "Sorry, 寶-" You wince imperceptibly, but you're getting somewhat used to it. "-I'm late for something really important. I'll see you tomorrow though! Bye!" He makes for the door, but you hold up his drink.

"Don't want to take your drink?" You grin.

He cracks a smile. "Thanks, 寶貝(darling)~" He winks as he takes the drink and rushes out the door.

You're left staring at where he stood, aghast. Oh no, he didn't.

He sticks his head back in a second later. "If you want to call me, 寶貝, my number's XXX-XXXX." He winks yet again before vanishing.

That guy, really. You shake your head ruefully before inputting the number in your phone anyway, under the name 巨人(giant) Kevin Wu (吳亦凡). Might as well let him know your number, too. You send him a text.

 

From: +1 (XXX)-XXX-XXXX

To: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

 

It's 寶貝 here, hope you don't get in trouble for being late to your 'something important'!

 

You set the phone aside, but before long, a reply comes in.

 

From: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

To: 寶貝

 

I wasn't, phew! Hey, are you going to be anywhere near the stadium tonight?

 

            Puzzled, you contemplate the question. A couple of friends were going to the stadium, or somewhere near it. Something about a concert. It made them feel very loving, but you hadn't seen a need for them be screaming "XOXOXO!" at five in the morning.

 

From: 寶貝

To: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

 

            Not planning on it, why?

 

From: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

To: 寶貝

 

            Oh, nothing. I think I read somewhere that there's been an increase in muggings there, that's all. Be careful.

 

            Muggings? That's not good. You decide to warn your friends. Within the minute, they return your texts.

 

 

To: Sally, Daisy, Rebecca

From: Jewel

 

            Heard somewhere that there've been more muggings than usual near the stadium. Be careful tonight!

 

To: Jewel

From: Sally

 

           Muggings? First time I heard of them around that area. Are you sure your source was right? Anyway, the concert today is going to be amazing. Tickets sold out within 10 seconds for a reason! We're ridiculously lucky my dad could get us tickets from his manager friend.

 

You frown. Really? Maybe Kevin had misread something. And 10 seconds? You find that hard to believe. What kind of perfect gods did this k-pop group have to be to have over 10,000 fans waiting online for ticket sales to open?

 

To: Jewel

From: Rebecca

 

           They're closing the whole block down and reinforcing with security for the concert tonight. Doubt there will be any muggings. Wish you could come. I meant would. It'll be fun! Even if you're not an Exotic. Really!

 

You roll your eyes. Concerts. An inconvenience to normal people. Traffic will swamp the city tonight; the busiest roundabout is by right by the stadium. And what the heck is an Exotic anyway? It sounds to you like what you might call someone with a weird disease.

 

To: Jewel

From: Daisy

 

           NO. CONCERT TONIGHT OMGOGMOGMOGMG SO EXCITED!!!!

 

You wonder why you even bothered texting Daisy. She's probably too excited to do anything other than hyperventilate. Anyway, it seems like Kevin's wrong.

 

From: 寶貝

To: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

 

            Hey, just texted some of my friends to warn them and they say the whole block's going to be cordoned off tonight for concert-goers. Crazy, right? And apparently tickets sold out in 10 seconds.

 

From: 巨人Kevin Wu (吳亦凡)

To: 寶貝

 

           Oh, really? I must have heard wrong. Anyway, I'll talk to you later! Bye!

 

 

***

 

"Ten seconds?!" Kris gasps.

"什麼?(What?)" Luhan asks.

"Who are you texting?" Tao asks, slightly irritated.

"Tickets sold out in 10 seconds," Kris repeats, shocked. He knew they're popular, but he didn't know they are that popular, and in the US, too.

"Bwoh?" The entire van rings with the sound of the exclamation.

Tao stubbornly repeats his question. "Who are you texting?"

"Oh, nobody; I'm just on a news site." Kris lies casually as he texts you back. Tao looks doubtful.

Kris doesn't know why he wants to keep you from the others; he tells them everything.