Chapter 9: The Scythe

The Black Scythe

It took about a week and a lot of trial and errors but we managed to get the Marine Aircraft up and running and ready for take off. Our next destination was Seoul. According to AJ and Soohyun, Seoul is where the Shadows has built their home base. To use the capital city of South Korea as home base? Pretty cliche if you ask me. Kiseop and I sat in the main office together and stared at the scythe. It’s sitting on the table currently and all we did was stare. We’ve tried a lot of different things and ways to see what else it can do, but unless I use it in battle, we’re not going to find out much at the moment. Then Sunny walks in with a tray of teacups, a teapot and some biscuits.

“Oh would you stop staring at that thing?” She says. “You two have been sitting like that for a whole day staring at it. Aren’t you guys hungry?” We didn’t say anything but stare at her for 2 seconds, then back at the scythe. Frustrated, she put the tray down and attempted to lift the scythe off the table so that we are forced to stop staring. But when she attempted to take it off, she couldn’t. She pulled and pulled with all her might but she couldn’t lift it off the table. That when Kiseop and I sat up with our I lit with wonder.

“How do you manage to use this thing in battle?” she says still pulling on the scythe. “It’s so heavy, it feels as if it’s glued to the table!” Panting, she gave up. I looked at her curiously and then picked it up. She looks at me with amusement. I stare at her.

“What are you talking about? I’m picking this thing up effortlessly.” I state. “It’s as light as a feather.”

“Let me try it.” Kiseop offered. I handed the scythe to him obediently and then he fell hands first to the floor.

“First time carrying this thing.” He grunted. “I can’t lift it off the ground either.” I stare at him as if I’m staring at an idiot.

“What?” then I pick it up again. “But it’s not-” Then I stop myself. I give it to Sunny and she falls to the ground too. Then I pick it back up. Curious, I took a pair of army gloves from the desk drawer and tried picking it up. This time, I couldn’t. I tried with all my might and pulled with all my strength but it wouldn’t come off the ground. Then I take off the gloves and was able to pick it up again.

“I think it’s DNA locked.” I finally say. They look at me, trying to decipher what I just said. “What I mean is, I think that the scythe reads my DNA and my DNA only. It has a special lock on it so that anyone besides me can’t use it.

“Very interesting.” Kiseop muttered. “Hey, can you see if you can do the Thor thing?” I stare at him. “Like, can you  try if you can retrieve it from a distance.” he says translating what he just said.

“I think so.” So I step back to the other side of the room and hold out my left hand. It didn’t work. Then with my right. Still didn’t work. Then I concentrated really hard. Come to me. And then the scythe disappeared. Instead of it flying into my hands like the guy from the movie can, it appeared. It would disappear from it’s original spot the reappear back into my hands.

“COOL!” I shouted.

“That’s really interesting.” Kiseop said. “Lets try something else!” then we started to do a lot of other different things like, trying to get it to move on it’s own or seeing if there’s a different compartment to it. We eventually found out that the head can be shot out and hook onto to things with a long chain attached to the the end so I can use it as a grappling hook or as a long range weapon. Also, it shoots out laser beams. But besides that, it doesn’t do anything else, which is fine by me because it can already do so many other cool things. One day, I decided to examine the thing a little more closely and noticed that there was an emblem marked on it. The emblem is a symbol that looks like a U with curled ends and a line connecting a dot down the middle. I recognize this symbol, but I don't remember from where. Then Kiseop suddenly came in and I put down my scythe.

"What are you looking at?" he asked.

"Nothing. Just seeing if there's any more compartment that I might've missed." I lied shaking my head. He nodded his head and sat down next to me.

"Find out anything?" he asked looking over my shoulder. I shook my head no. "We've arrived to Seoul." he said getting up. Then he winked at me. "Just thought you should know. We'll be landing in five minutes." I felt my face flush red so I looked away and nodded.

"Thanks." I said.