Chapter 10: Truth Be Told

The Black Scythe

We exit the aircraft and made our way to Seoul tower. All though it was deserted, Seoul wasn't demolished as bad as Seongnom or Incheon. The roads were a little smoother and the streets weren't smothered with blood. As we walked, I broke the silence by asking,

"Who are the Shadows?"

"The Shadows are a group of Shadows of the dead. Just like Casdows, they're the sorrows of humans but they don't shape-shift. Unlike Casdows, they have a face, they have a stable human form and they are able to talk and act just like any regular human. The only difference is, they're literal Shadows but they are three dimensional than the two dimensional ones that you see when a light is casted. Also, you can actually touch and interact with them and they don't require light to be seen." AJ explains as I nod my head. We heard the howling of Shadogs in the distance and soon enough we were surrounded. I take out my scythe and together, we slay them one by one. As I kill the last one, I noticed that they had an emblem on their left arm. The same emblem that was carved into my scythe. Then suddenly, I hear evil laughter. It was the same laugh that we heard back in the airport of Incheon. We all rotated and turned back and forth until Sunny pointed up.

"Look up there!" she cries. We all look and there was a Shadow hovering over us looking down to us.

"Well, well, well. If it isn't My lovely daughter finally coming back to me after 15 years." the Shadow chuckled. His voice echoes in a creepy way that send a chill up my spine.

"Who are you? I don’t know you!" I shout back.

"Heh. You'll see." he said. And the he disappeared into thin air. Who is he? What does he want from me? Why did he call me his daughter?

~

Back in the ship, we all had a meeting with no one saying anything. All they did was stare at me.

"What?" I asked finally.

"You're the daughter of the head of the Korean Shadows?!" Sunny asked. I stare at her speechless. I didn't know how to reply. "Is this why we've been protecting her from the Shadows for 15 years?!" Sunny asked Soohyun. Then he looked at Kiseop but Kiseop took a quick glance then closed his eyes as if he didn’t care with his arms crossed and legs propped on the table. Then all our eyes averted to Kiseop but he remained silent. Then Soohyun finally spoke up.

“Look guys. The main point right now is not about what Yuri’s background is but rather, what Hae-seong is going to do next. Hae-seong claims that Yuri is his daughter but we don’t know that for sure. And until we know, we have to figure out how he’s going to attack us as he has challenged us.”

“But he’s a Shadow, how do we know?” Taeyeon asked.

“We don’t.” Kiseop spoke up. “All we can do is wait.”

“That’s right. Shadows are unpredictable and if we make a wrong move by any chance, all we will cause is chaos for the rest of the world. Which includes us.” AJ said.

“But if we wait, then that doesn’t give us enough time to prepare for whatever he’s doing!” Joo-hyun cried.

“Considering that he didn’t attack us on the spot, he is planning to give us time when he declares what the challenge is. But the challenge will always be more of an advantage to the Shadows than to us humans.” Kiseop said.

“Then what can we do now? Just wait for the world to end?!” Sunny screamed.

“It’s the safest possible way.” Soohyun said.