Chapter 2: The Seongnam That I Once Knew

The Black Scythe

I dump my bag on the floor next to me and fall face first on my bed. I’m so tired. Not long after, I get up to really loud rattling coming from the basement. It’s strange because there shouldn’t be anyone at home but me. My dad is on his way to Canada for a business trip and my brother is over at Kevin’s house. I go down stairs and peer side to side to make sure the coast is clear. Then I make my way to the closet to grab a broom for self-defence. I slowly creep my way down into the basement and turn on the lights. The rattling stopped for two seconds and then it continues. Through the many book shelves, I can see a big, hairy shadow, going through the boxes. I slowly approach the aisle that the creature was in and then fiercely turned to see down the aisle, but there was nothing there.

“Huh? That’s strange. Where-?” and then I freeze. I was cut off due to feeling something big breathing on my neck making me sweat as it’s shadow covers over mine. Shaking now, I gulp and turn slowly to face what’s behind me. An eight feet tall, black, furry, dog like creature with triangular ears stares at me with its beady red eyes. It has muscular arms bigger than its legs that it stands on with claws on either hand. It stares at me with its big sharp teeth and long, rough tongue. It retracts its tongue back into his mouth and roars at me. I scream and fall back making me drop my broom. I tried to make a run for it but it demolishes everything in its path to reach me. As I make it to the stairs, it grabs my leg and pounces on top of me, locking my legs and arms to the ground. As it lifts its hand, ready to attack, something stops it and knocks him against the hard cement wall. A man stands in front of me with his long white trench coat fluttering from his appearance. All I saw was his trench coat and his neck short black hair.

“Go.” He tells me. “I’ll hold him off for now. Run before it wakes up.” His voice is very soothing for some reason and calms my nerves. Then, crouches into a position, ready to defend off the creature whenever it wakes up. Without thinking, I rush up the stairs and exit from the front entrance. Then, I see the city I don’t recognize anymore. This isn’t the Seongnam that I used to live in. The clear blue sky has turned blood red. The once smooth gray roads has cracked and is depleting. The nearby houses are demolished and bodies of the friends and neighbours that I once knew lay helpless on the cold ground. And the once beautiful city of Seoul, is now roamed with the same creatures that attacked me back at home, howling at the gray, lifeless moon light that pierce through the hellish scenery.

“What’s going on? What happened?” I say to myself. Then, I hear the rush of those dogs approach me. I run as fast as my legs can carry and into the alley ways trying to hide out of sight. I see the dogs trying to sniff me out as they approach a dead body a couple of feet away from me and starts devouring it like it’s the first time in their whole life that they’ve ever eaten. They rip the limbs off piece by piece as I see the bloody flesh of my best friend, Jessica, become nothing more than a pile of bone scrap. I gasp at this horrifying sight, the black dog hears me and turns my way. I make a quick run through the alley and the dog runs after. I make myself visible to the open road at the end of the alley, then I turn around to see the dog on top of the alley way ready to pounce and I dodge. I turn right and run towards the school which wasn’t a smart idea because once I reach the school gates, it has already been overrun by more of those dogs devouring the students and my friends. I stare at the once white bricked school dye red with blood. I turn around but I’m cornered with the dog that was previously chasing me, about 20 feet away from me. I turn left into a different alley way just to make more sudden movements, causing not just one, but ten other dogs to chase after me. I make my way to another open road but this time, I have no way out. The dogs already beat me there. I walk backward then bumped into the warmth of more dogs. Terrified, one of them in front of me jumps on me making me fall backward, unable to move. I scream and try to struggle my way out but it was no use. It opens its giant mouth and roars at me until my ears grew half deaf. Screaming, the dog lifts up it paw, freeing my left hand. Just when it was just about to attack, I hold up my freed hand, screaming,

“NO!” just then, my hand glows and a black scythe ends up clutched in my hands, stabbing the dog to its death. My first instinct was to start swinging my scythe back and forth in all different directions. My intention was to only scare them off when my body suddenly moves on its own. It gets up and does all these flips and attacks, dodging and ripping off the dogs' body apart, limb by limb. I didn’t even know I knew how to do that. One by one, the dogs fall brutally onto the floor. My uniform is now stained red and is soaked with sweat. Panting, I walk back to touch the cold, hard wall and fall carelessly onto the floor in shock.

“What’s happening?” I say to myself. “What in the world is going on?” I grip tightly onto the scythe and watched it glow, shrink and disappear. I look at my empty hands. Soon enough, I hear some howling of more dogs. “Oh no,” I said getting up. “It’s not going to be long until they sniff me out and find out that I killed their own. I've got to run!” But run where? Is there anywhere that’s safe to go? I have no idea what’s going on, I don’t know why I’m being hunted down, nor do I know what I’m supposed to do. Even though the confusion has got me thinking, I started to run. I have no idea where I’m going but it’s better than where I am now. As I walk past an alley way, a pair of hands peak through the shadows and covers over my mouth. I struggle and jab with my elbow, trying to hurt the person that’s trying to abduct me, to let me go.

“Ugh!” the man says. “Stop being so troublesome and give in already!” the voice is quiet and gentle but sounds very familiar. But even if I didn’t want to, my body gives in and slowly makes me black out. As I faint, the last words that I heard was, “Good girl.” and then, nothing.