Chapter 1: Before everything went wrong

The Black Scythe

Startled, I scream and wake up to the sound of my alarm clock. I take the alarm clock from my bed frame and look at the time. 6:30Ugh. Another day, time to get up and get ready for school. I change out of my pink PJs and put on my black and white uniform. I pull back my long silky black hair and tie on the red bowtie around my neck. I exit my room and rush down the stairs for breakfast.

“MORNING!” I exclaimed. Disgusted, I stare up to my older brother.

“Morning idiot.” he said with a teasingly putting his coffee cup down. “How has Godzilla slept?”

“I’m not Godzilla!” I talked back.

“Mhm? Every morning, you screech when you wake up like there’s no tomorrow. Exactly like Godzilla would’ve.” Hearing this, I clench my fist then kick him hard in the shin. Then my dad walks in with a boiling pot of miso soup carrying it with oven mitts.

“Ok, ok. Quit it you two.”

“Morning dad.” I say.

“Hurry up and eat or you won’t get to school on time.” My dad says smiling. My dad is one of the kindest people in the world. He has short brown hair and wears frameless glasses. My dad has a smile that can make anyone’s day. He’s about 6 feet tall, has healthy tanned skin and works as the most well-known engineer of all of Korea. I’d say just about anyone would love a person like my dad. My brother on the other hand, he has short, dark brown hair. I’d say he pretty much can walk into a random room and woo the girls because of his looks because he’d always come rushing home from a a huge group of fan girls. Even the girls at my school says I’m lucky to have a brother like him. But I don’t see it that way. He’s super annoying but is extremely talented. You give him something new and he’ll get the hang of it in no time flat. He’s in University going for a lawyer degree. Then my brother gets up and puts his dishes away.

“I’m going to school.” he says as he carries his jacket and briefcase off of his chair and makes his way to the door.

“WAIT FOR ME!” I said staring at him. Then I look at my food and finish my breakfast in 2 minutes flat. “I’m full!” I say choking down my food.

“Full already?” My dad says awkwardly. “Here’s your lunch.” he says handing me a well wrapped up lunch box. I run to the door and put on my backpack, helmet, elbow pads and knee pads on as well as my shoes. I grab my skateboard and blast through the door.

“Bye Dad!” I wave trying to catch up to my brother who was riding really fast on his bike. “WAIT UP!”

“You know, you don’t always have to go to school with me. You can always go on your own.”

“Yea but... but…” But, you always go to school with your best friend.

“Hey! Kevin!” my brother exclaims.

“Morning Eli.” Kevin says. We stop next to Kevin moments later. Then he looks at me with his beautiful eyes. “Good morning Yuri.” Then he smiles at me. It didn’t take long for my face to flush with red. Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!

“G-good morning Kevin.” Then we were on our way to school. Kevin rides a bike too but every time I see him, I can’t help but stare. He’s so cute! His golden blonde hair flutters in the wind like it doesn’t bother him. He’s nice, gentle, hot, and… oh my gosh, Just perfect. He’s the same as my brother but he is somewhat the opposite. He’s just as talented but he goes to university for a doctor’s degree. He’s quiet, loves to read, and has a smile sweeter than candy has to offer. As I stare a little longer, he turns to me and says,

“Good bye Yuri.” I look ahead and see my school approaching from a couple of feet away. Awwwww… Already? I turn to the opening the school’s gates and turn to see Kevin leave. I lift my skateboard off the ground and stare, dazed off into the distance where I last saw him. I sigh heavily. I walk through the main entrance and stuff my skateboard and my other gear in my locker. Not long after, the bell rings and I have to get to class.

“I’M LATE!” I yell running up 3 flights of stairs. I barge through the classroom door and is greeted with loud applause.

“You made it Yuri!” My best friend, Jessica, says.

“The teacher isn’t here yet.” My other friend, Sunny, finishes.

“But you’re only lucky this time.” My teacher says winking at me.

“M-Mr. Kim!” I exclaim falling my my back. Then he looks up. Okay class, time to start. I peel myself off the floor and make my way to the tenth desk of the first row next to the window. I hook my backpack to the side of the desk and pulled out my Korean literature notebook. I grab a pencil and start writing.