[END] Chapter 14: Saranghae

The Black Scythe

I wake up expecting to be cuddled up in Kiseop’s arms but I’m not. I don’t feel his warmth. I flutter my eyes open and look up, down and around. But he’s not where I thought he was. I sit up and look around the room again. That’s strange. Where’s Kiseop? I start to breathe. It’s okay. Don’t go into panic mode yet. He probably went to the bathroom or something. And then, the door opens and Kiseop walks in with breakfast. The tray of food was piping hot, filled with Eli’s famous homemade omelets, bacon and toast sided with potato wedges and fruit. 
“Mmmm!” I hum my lips. Kiseop walks towards me, hands me a cup of coffee and kissed me on the forehead. “You should’ve woken me up!” I complained. 
“Well, I didn’t want to wake up my sleeping beauty.” he smiles. 
“Awww…” I say in a really cute tone. Then I started to eat. 
“You ready for that battle?” he asks tucking my hair behind my ear. I nod with confidence. Then he smiles at me. “That’s my girl.” There was a long moment of silence before he continued. “I’m going to go run some errands with Kevin and Yoona later for Soohyun.” Then he brings my head down and kisses me on the forehead once more before saying, “I’ll be back soon. Okay?” I nod. He my hair a couple more times before he got up, and left.  He’ll be alright. I tell myself.
Before I knew it, it was sunset. I go into the control room, looking for Soohyun. “Soohyun, where’s Kiseop, Kevin and Yoona? They’ve been gone all morning!” I asked in panic.
“I don’t know. I’ve been wondering that since the afternoon. I sent them out for some more food supplies. It shouldn’t take them take long to find some since this whole town is deserted and the Shadow monsters only eat human flesh.” he admits worryingly. I start to shake. Kiseop.
Then suddenly, our main gate bursts open and Yoona huffs and puffs, trying to catch her breath. 
“Yoona! Where are the others?” I asked panicking even more. 
“They- they…” then she takes a huge breath in and out before continuing. “The Shadows have Kiseop.” she finally says.
“WHAT?!” I asked in shock and terror. “How can this happen?”
“Where’s Kevin then?” Soohyun asks, trying his best to stay calm. 
“He died trying to protect me when we were attacked.” Yoona says. “They sent me back alive to tell Yuri that Hae-seong says that he is looking forward to your battle with him tonight.”
“He’s not allowing Yuri to have an excuse to not marry the Shadow prince in China.” Soohyun mutters in realization. Then I drop to the ground, sobbing. Kiseop. Kiseop! Then Yoona crouches down next to me and buries me in her arms, rubbing my back, comforting me. 
“It’s okay. You’ll beat your father. You’ll get Kiseop back. He’ll be fine.” she says my hair. We all remained silent for a really long time. Minutes felt like hours. Hours felt like days. Soon enough, the light of the full moon pierces through the clouds and AJ comes in. 
“It’s time.” he announces. Soohyun nods in thanks and AJ looks at me. “What’s going on?” he asks. But Soohyun shakes his head no and sends him away. Stifling my cries, I wipe my tears off my face, carefully peel myself away from Yoona, and I get up. I slowly lift my head up and give myself faith, confidence, and determination. 
“I am going to fight, defeat my father, and end this war that our ancestors has once started.” I say. Both nodding in agreement, Yoona and Soohyun gathers the rest of the crew and follows me out and we all head to the Seoul Tower. It’s crumbling and old, but still sturdy. The Shadogs howl for our arrival as we make it to the top. It was a long climb, but we finally made it and surely enough, there Hae-seong was sitting in a chair with his fingers laced with each other, waiting patiently. He looks as if he was sitting there like that all day.
“Where is he?” I yell at him. Then he starts to laugh. 
“Welcome, my dear.” he says getting up.
“I’m not going to ask again. Where is he?” I ask more fiercely this time.
“Come now. Did you think that I asked you to come all the way here just so that I will just hand him back to you? I’m afraid this game doesn’t work like that.” then he chuckles. “You win, I’ll give him back to you, along with any other requests of yours. But if you lose, you obey my orders and marry the Shadow Prince of China.” Gritting my teeth, I reveal the black scythe. 
“I will murder you!” I yell at him with determination, clenching hard on my scythe.”
“I’m sure you will. But first, lets have a little fun shall we?” then he snaps his fingers and Black Griffs appear in the air, Castdows hovering around us, and Shadogs howling and crashing in through the windows. We all stand back to back in a circle, in our ready positions, then, we strike. Yoona and Sunny uses a weapon where she clenches the handles in her fist while there is a long blade on either arm, facing out on the side of her arm so that she can slice and punch enemies. Joohyun dual wields hand pistols while Taeyeon dual wields swords. They’re both really fast and those to work as a really good pair. Eli jogs in and blasts the Shadogs with the shards of glass that are on the floor, along with fire. Seohyun and AJ switches weapons a lot using shotguns and switches with nunchucks. I slash through enemies and tear them apart with my beams and the head of my scythe, as well as using telepathy to throw enemies out the window or make them explode in mid air. It didn’t take long for us to get rid of all Hae-seong’s little minions. When we were done, Hae-seong starts to clap. 
“Very well done. But this next battle is for Yuri and Yuri only.” Hissing and growling, everyone else backs off. Then he snaps his fingers again.
“You’re not hiding behind another pet are you?” I ask snickering.
“I am. But if you can beat this pet of mine, then you will beat me.” Smiling with determination, I started to say,
“Piece of ca-” and I cut myself off when I realized who it was. Kiseop. About to cry in happiness to see that he was okay, I stop myself. There’s something odd about him.
“Yuri!” Sunny says. I turn around to face her. “His eyes!” Turning my head back around, I stare at his eyes.
“They’re not blood red anymore.” I say in shock. In fact, his irises are pitch black. No. Jet black. There’s no sparkle in them anymore. I can’t see light in them anymore. It’s just, empty. Tempted to run to him, I shout,
“Kiseop! Kiseop!” but he doesn’t answer me. He stands there like a statue, as if he doesn’t know who he is anymore. Like a pawn on a chessboard. I take one step closer to him and Kiseop guards himself by bringing his fists up to his face and Soohyun grabs a hold of my arm. I look at Soohyun to see him shaking his head. 
“That’s not Kiseop anymore. He’s being mind controlled.” he tells me. I put on a worried face as Soohyun lets go of my arm. Then I turn back to Kiseop, who's still in his ready position.
“That ‘s right Soohyun.” Hae-seong says. Then Kiseop stands straight up again. “He’s my little puppet now.” he states, briefly patting Kiseop on the back. Then he turns and smiles at me. “If you are able to defeat him, then I’ll let him go free.” I look at Kiseop, afraid to lose him, afraid that something will happen to him. Then Kiseop walks towards the middle of the room, and bows and a polite way of greeting me in battle. Then he positions himself, ready to strike. Gulping, I walk towards the center until I’m a few feet away from him. Then he strikes at me, attempting to hit my face. I dodge it and bounce backwards, landing on three. I get up and I clench my scythe tightly towards my chest, feeling it beat with adrenaline. Kiseop runs up to me, barely making any sound with his feet, reveals his claws, and claws me. I try to dodge it but I got scratched anyways. I look at my wound on my left arm, watching it bleed, turning my white shirt red. I look at Kiseop and he his claws clean. But he isn’t Kiseop anymore. All I see is a blood thirsty monster. But I know he’s still in there. So I shout at him.
“Kiseop! I know you’re still in there! Wake up!” but he still attempted to scratch me again. This time, I was too slow and he clawed my stomach, causing me to fly sideways, landing on the shattered glass. I get up and look at my wounds, it’s spitting blood now. Catching me off guard, he punches me in the face and I step backwards a bit. He attempts many punches, claws and kicks but I block them all off with the rod of my scythe. Then I hear a laugh, and I turn to Hae-seong. 
“You’re going to die under his hands if you don’t attack him eventually.” Hae-seong snickers. Grunting, I clench my stomach and face Kiseop. I don’t want to fight him.
“Please! Stop! I don’t want to fight you Kiseop!” I shout.
“Then you’re just going to have to let me kill you.” he replies coldly. Then he strikes again, and I jump over him. 
“Kiseop! Wake up!” I shout. I saw a spark of hesitation in his eyes but he went back to his monstrous state within seconds. He’s fighting against it! Kiseop! Then I attempt again. “Kiseop! I know you’re in there!” 
“Yuri.” I hear him say gently. Then his furious voice came back. “No! I cannot lose.” Soon Kiseop, completely stops and drops to his knees with his hands covering his ears, shaking his head. “Stop. Stop! No, you must obey. Get it out!” His voice is changing back and forth from his original voice and his monstrous one. Like he’s fighting against himself. “Yuri!” I hear his familiar voice say, but then his monstrous side took over. “Run.” Then there were black flickering tentacles that came out from his back, heading towards me. They flickered as if they were there, and then they weren’t. They came at me, they came for me and in shock, I stepped all the way back until I can feel the edge, that I was about to fall through the window. Come on Kiseop! I know you can hear me! Fight! Fight it Kiseop! The tentacles backed off for a moment, so I ran towards my right. Ugh! There’s no where to run! I look back and immediately was tied up, causing me to drop my scythe.  From my toes, all the way to my neck, they wrapped around me and got tighter. I can’t breathe! K-kiseop! I was brought closer towards him and he stared at me with his soulless eyes. I huffed for breath but no oxygen can fill my lungs. It’s squeezing my diaphram, my chest, my heart. Kiseop! Kiseop! Snap out of it! But nothing happened. he remained expressionless like how I saw him back when I first entered the tower. I closed my eyes. Flashbacks of the memories with Kiseop fill my head. Kiseop. I love you. Then suddenly, I could breathe. I open my eyes and I’m looking at the floor, kneeling with one knee on the ground. I look up at Kiseop. The tentacles are surrounding but not touching me. They’re slowly fading away. Then I hear grunting and yelling. Kiseop, is kneeling on both of his knees, shouting, grunting, scratching and rubbing his head. Trying to fight it. Without thinking, I run up to him and hug him. 
“Kiseop.” I whispered. “I love you Kiseop.”
“Yuri! Run!” he says, stifling his cries. He’s in enormous pain, trying to fight it off while he tries to buy me time to make a run for it. Everyone else was gone. They have abandoned me here with my father and Kiseop. But I won’t hate them for that. In fact, I’m happy to know that at least they’re safe now. Kiseop is still grunting in my ear, telling me to go, but I refuse to. I don’t want to lose him. Not again. Then I feel something cold go through me. I relax my grip from Kiseop’s neck and look down. My body is dripping with blood. Kiseop, has just stabbed his claws through my stomach. I look up to meet his eyes. His eyes are slowly turning red again. Going back to normal. The puppetry is finally leaving him. Tears roll out of his eyes as he flutters his eyes, finally himself again. He looks down at his arm, then meets my eyes again.
“Yuri.” he whispered. “I…” Then I hugged him tight again, pushing his arm further through the wound. But I didn’t care. I just want to savour this moment. 
“I love you Kiseop. No matter what.” I whispered. Then he returned the hug with his free hand.
“So do I. Forever and always.” Kiseop whispered back. My vision slowly fades to black and I her a thud. I flutter my eyes open again and see a light. Am I dead? Then I see a familiar face. Although I didn’t remember it really clearly, but I have seen her before. Whether if it was from my past memories or in my dreams. I start bursting into tears as she spread her arms wide open, ready for a hug. Without hesitation, I ran up to her.
“Mom!” I cried. I hugged her as tight as I can. “Mom! It’s really you! Mom!” I cried and cried. I’ve always longed for my mother’s touch. Her hug was so warm, it felt so safe. I wish I could hug her like this forever. 
Yuri. Oh, my little Yuri. I looked up as her voice rang in my head. She was talking, she was definitely talking to me but her lips didn’t move. Is she talking in my mind? But it doesn’t matter. I finally get to reunite with my mother. That’s all that matters. She my hair. Her hand was soft and gentle, just as I’ve always imagined it to be. Yuri. I look up to her. Look. She pointed just below my feet. An image showed up, actually, it turned out to be a video. I looked around. It looks like I’m stepping on golden clouds. Past my mother’s shoulders are large gates. Apparently I’m right outside of heaven. Then I changed my focus back to the screen. It showed a dark room and then I hear sobbing. It slowly zoomed into the person crying. It was Kiseop. Hae-seong is watching Kiseop cry in amusement. He’s laughing away. 
“Kiseop…” I whispered under my breath. The rest of the gang has ran back up to the stairs, worried about what’s going on, but they have come to a huge disappointment. All the girls just dropped on their knees and started to cry. The guys want to cry to, but they’re holding it back.
“Haha! How amusing!” Hae-seong laughed. “The death of one teammate and you guy are suddenly powerless. Ha!” I gritted my teeth as tears rolled down my cheeks. 
Yuri. I looked back at my mother as she took her hands to wipe the tears off my face. You’re not done yet. Then I give her a confused look. You will be given chances. You were actually chosen, before birth, that you were to get rid of the Shadow empire and create a new world. You have the power to. You are actually much more powerful than what you think you are. You know too little about yourself and your powers. You will actually be given another chance. To live again. Then my tears stop.
“Really? I can be alive again? But, how is that possible?” I asked. 
It’s actually a really really long and confusing story. Long story short, you were born to be able to revive yourself including others. Although you don’t have enough experience and power to save other’s lives, at this stage, you can do it to yourself. Oh, and you won’t grow older than 18 years old. You will actually stay 18 for the rest of your life after this.
“Wha? Why? How? When was I able to do that all of a sudden?” 
I know that you must be confused now, and it wasn’t all of a sudden that you could do that. It’s just that you never realized your potential.
“This is one twisted ending let me tell you… You’re confusing a lot of people you know. Especially the ones that are sobbing down below.” 
I know, but it can’t be helped. I must apologize for not being there for you for so many years but from now on, I will be by your side, guiding you, helping you realize your true potential to throw the Shadow Empire out of their place and bring humanity back onto earth. But… she paused.
“But what? Oh. Please don’t cliche anything. I have a bad feeling about what you’re going to say.”
Well, there is one devastating news.
“What? Tell me!”
You’re not allowed to be together with Kiseop. My eyes widened, hearing her say that. 
“What? Why can’t I be with Kiseop?!”
Actually, you can’t be with anyone for that matter. Being granted these things, you must sacrifice your love life. That is the rule. Since you are able to do these things with your powers, you are practically god himself. 
“What?! But that’s ridiculous!!”
I agree that it’s ridiculous but it can’t be helped. It is estimated that it will take you about 100 years to completely get rid of the Shadow Empire. Once your mission is complete, you will die of old age. By then, everyone that you currently know, will be up here, waiting to reunite with you.
“But… But!!!” 
I’m sorry darling. That’s all I know and that’s all I can say. I know that this wasn’t what you had in mind. But not everything ends happy. Then I fall on my knees and burst into tears. This is too much to handle. First I find out that I was in an illusioned world, then Kevin didn’t turn out liking me, then I find out that I was a Shadow, then I find out that I had a horrible father, then it turns out that a large half of the SRPP are all part Shadows, then Kiseop was turned into a puppet to go against me, now I am given a path I have no choice of refusing?! I can’t do this. It’s too much pressure. But… But I have to. For the future, I must do this. The fate of the world rests in my hands. Literally. I get up and wipe off the tears. Stifling my cries, I ask my mother my last and final question.
“How do I get back to earth?”
~
I flutter my eyes open and I’m resting in Kiseop’s arms. I look above me and Hae-seong has turned his back, looking out the broken window, still laughing. I release my scythe and curled the blade around his neck.
“H-HOW?” he asked in shock.
“You don’t want to know.” I replied.
“Yuri, you won’t do kill your own father.” He chuckled.
“I don’t have a father. Not anymore.” then his head comes clean off. And since he’s a shadow, he just disappeared forever, like a shadow who has just lost the sun.
“Yuri!” Kiseop yelled happily. He hugged me as tight as he could, I can tell that he doesn’t want to let go, afraid to lose me again. But he has to let go, because he has already lost me.
“Kiseop.” I said pushing him away. “I’m sorry.”
“What? Why?” Kiseop asked in complete shock. “You came back to life. You’re here, with me. Why are you sorry?”
“Because I can’t be with you anymore.” I replied hesitantly. “I can’t.” 
“Why? Why?” Kiseop said, tearing up again.
“Long story short, I was the chosen one to take down the Shadow Empire therefore, I am given powers unlike anything any Shadow will ever have. And in return, I must sacrifice my love life, which means you.” I explained sadly, trying not to cry.
“Why? When did this happen?” Kiseop yelled.
“I know it a lot to take in, because I, myself, couldn’t believe it either. But we must accept reality. Kiseop, I have to do this, for the future of our planet earth.” I asked. He is sad, hesitant and unwilling, but, he finally nodded.“It is predicted that it’ll take me 100 years to completely take down the Shadow Empire. By then, I will die of old age, as you will. Will you wait for me? In the afterlife?” Then he looks at me, full of hope in his eyes.
“No matter what it takes to be able to be with you again Yuri. I will wait until the end of time to reunite with you.” Kiseop started to cry again. I gave him one last kiss before I got up. Then I turned to the rest of the group.
“Guys.” I whispered. Then Sunny came rushing towards me and embraced me, crying her eyes out. 
“Yuri!” Sunny yelled. Then I pulled her off and I managed a smile.
“I’ll see you in the afterlife too. Don’t worry about it.” then I looked to everyone else. “I’ll see all of you in the afterlife.” I gave one last smile and I walked for the door. They made an opening for me to walk through to get to the stairs. Before I left for good, I turned around.
“Thanks guys. For everything. See you in 100 years.” They all smiled and nodded.
“Yuri!” I looked over Soohyun’s shoulder and Kiseop came up to me. “I love you.” Then I smiled at him.
“I love you too. Even if destiny is doing us part, I will love you forever and always.” We exchanged one more kiss and then he stepped back to join the rest of the group.
“Good bye Yuri.” They said together in sync. And with that, I waved my last good bye and disappeared down the stairs.


I apologize if this story's ending is a little too twisted and confusing. If you have any questions, do PM me. I hoped you liked the story thou.^^ thank you for reading. Do check out my other stories if you get the chance to :)