Chapter 6: SOS

The Black Scythe

Everyday after that, I continued to train in Kiseop's classes but I ignored Kevin. I acted as I never knew him. Then one day, something went wrong. The helicopter kept swinging side to side. And eventually, one of the engines exploded.

"What's going on?!" I yelled falling to the ground. There was a continuous beeping sound and the room kept blinking red.

"We're under attack!" says the Sooyoung. Then I stare at her with a sarcastic glare.

"No! We're eating pie!" I said sarcastically. "What I meant was by what!"

"Black Griffs!" Yoona exclaims.

"And possibly Casdows!" Taeyeon finishes. Everyone is on the floor now.

"We're going to crash!" Tiffany screams.

"AJ! Status report!" yells Soohyun.

"We're losing altitude really fast! At this rate, we're going to die!" AJ reports managing to read the control panel. Then Tiffany gets up and tries to steer the helicopter.

"I can't control it!" she says jiggling the handle. "it's jammed!" Then, a claw pierces through the roof. In no time flat, the Black Griffs are visible and are making their way into the ship. Come on Yuri, think! But as soon as I tell that to myself, two Black Griffs are in. Without thinking, I turn my head away and shut my eyes. Oh no. As one of the Griffs attacks, their arm rebounds by an invisible force. The other attempts to attack but the same thing happens. I slowly open my eyes and face the Griffs to see that the whole crew, including me, are retained within a green force field.

"Yuri? How are you doing that?" asks Kevin.

"I- I don't know." I reply.

"Uh oh." AJ states.

"Uh oh? What uh oh? I don't like the sound of that." says Hyoyeon.

"we're now less than 1000 feet in the air." AJ reports.

"Oh no." Sunny says.

"900 feet." AJ continues. "800." then without thinking, I recreate the feeling of when the Griffs made their way in. But this time, I tried to make individual, and stronger force fields for everyone. Please work. Please work!

"400 feet!" AJ continues. "300! 200!" and then, we all scream and we crash. The last thing I remembered was flying into the air, then, black.

~

I open my eyes and see sand. I slowly try to get up but my left arm and the right side of my torso hurts but I still manage. I look around and notice that I appear to have fallen next to a waterfront but no matter where I turn, all I see are either burning palm trees, burning helicopter debris, or sand. I look on the ground behind me and see the Black Griffs and Casdows. I step back, ready to counter whenever they pounce, but they just lay helplessly on the ground. I take the nearest stick that lies beside me and poke them. But they seem to be dead. Then I give a sigh pf relief. I grasped onto my left arm and turn around to see a tropical forest. I assume that the others might be there so I go in limping.

"Sunny? Soohyun?" I yell. "AJ? Hoon? Taeyeon? Anybody?" I keep yelling more names but no answer. I kept walking and walking until I saw a pair of legs behind some blueberry bushes. Scared, I looked over it. It was Kiseop.  His back was against a tree laying helplessly there. Really, he was the last person that I expected to see first but, I limped over anyway. I crouch down next him and shake his left shoulder.

"Kiseop? Hey, Kiseop. Wake up." I whispered. I kept calling him, getting more afraid and worry that he might be dead. "Kiseop! Dont scare me like that!" I'm shaking him harder now. "Kiseop!" Shivering I stop shaking him and bury my face in my knees. And then, I was startled with a groan.

"Kiseop! You're awake! Y-you're alive!" I said screaming with joy.

"Where are we?" he managed groaning.

"Apparently, we're on an island." I replied softly.

"Where are the others?"

"I dont know. You were the first I encountered."

"Oh. You were the last person that I'd expect to see when I woke up."

"You should be the one to talk! You scared me half to death! I thought you were dead!"

"actually, I thought I was dead too. But then I heard a voice and I followed it. Then when I woke up, I saw you." he said smiling. I felt my face feel red so I turned away. "why were you so worried anyways?" he asked. "i thought you hated me."

"W-well, can’t a student worry about their own mentor?!" I replied hesitantly. Then he shrugged.

"Makes sense." then he groaned again.

"Can you get up?" I asked.

"I think so." so then I turned back to look at him and helped him up. I had to use more strength than I thought I would need to help him up, but I still managed. I propped his right arm over my left shoulder which strained my left arm a lot but he needs all the help he can get whereas I don’t need it. We walked through the forest, hoping to find someone, anyone, but by the time we couldn't walk anymore, it was nightfall. I laid Kiseop down so that he can sit up against a tree while I went to go collect food, herbs and firewood. I made dinner with the Black Griff meat and used the herbs to help with Kiseop's wounds. When food was ready, Kiseop tool the first bite and yelled,

"Eew! This is disgusting! You're the worst cook in the world Yuri!"

"Oh, quit complaining! It's Black Griff meat! What'd you expect?! I tried my best okay?! I dont like it either. And, I don't normally cook at home. Normally either dad or Eli would cook. Now shut up and eat!" I protested. I turned away and there was an awkward silence. Then he suddenly broke the silence asking,

"How'd you know if these herbs aren't poisonous?"

"I don't know. Instinct? Intuition? I trust my guts a lot." then he laughed.

"I've never heard a girl say that before."

"Not funny Kiseop!"

"Ok, ok. How come you didnt use any?"

"At first, I got enough so that both of us can use them. But then you looked like you needed them more than I do so I gave you the rest. By the time I was done with you, my stomach was growling and I didn't want to get up." Then, silence fell again. I couldn't hear anything besides to crackling of the fire. When I was done eating, I was so tired that I fell straight asleep hoping to get more energy to look for the others tomorrow.