Chapter 5: Illusion

The Black Scythe

I've been improving day after day and by day 20, I was able to use telepath, control my recreations that happen in my head, master my scythe skills and use the elements like lightning, fire and water. It was an amazing experience. I also became really close friends with the crew as if we were family and my affection for Kevin has grew too. One night, he invited me to the balcony with him. He said that he was going to wait there first. As I made my way to the balcony, I reach for the door and feel my heart pound. Oh my gosh. I wonder what he wants to tell me? He's not going to confess to me is he? I felt my face turn beet red. I cradled my face in my hands and took deep breaths in and out before I opened the door. As it creaked open, I saw Kevin hunched over with his arms folded over the metal railing. Okay. I can do this.

"H-hi Kevin." I say. Ugh! Im so stupid! He must think that I'm a stuttering idiot. But my hands just wouldnt stop shivering. Then he turns to me and smiles. My face is turning red again and I try to refrain from feeling it.

"Hi Yuri." he starts. "Do you know why I called you here today?" I shake my head. Then he takes a deep breath in. Oh my gosh!

"I called you here because-" then he hesitates and breaths again. "I need to tell you the truth." Oh my gosh! He's going to say it! Then again, the expression on his face tells me something else, as if he's really sad but somehow, I was able to ignore it.

"I'm not who you think I am. Same goes for Eli." then I stop shivering and my face goes back to normal. I look up at him with shock.

"What do you mean you're not the people that I think you are?" then he takes a deep breath in.

"The life that you've been living before this all happened, it's an illusion. Seoul was never a peaceful city. Eli, your so-called step-brother, was never really your brother. And the so-called school that you went to, it was all an illusion. The dad that you knew was never a person. It was all a lie, an illusion." Hearing this, all I could do was stare at him, speechless. "I know, that its a lot to take in but-" then I cut him off.

"Wait, so what you're telling me, is that the life that I was living, it was all a lie? Where was I going this whole time when I had to leave for school?"

"You were still going to school,but we made it so that instead of being on the surface, you were actually going underground."

"What about my feelings for you?"

"wait, what feelings? Eli, Sunny, Jessica and I, we were your protectors since you were abandoned. What are you talking about?"

"I like you." I blurt out without thinking.

"You what? I'm sorry if I've given you misunderstandings but, I've always regarded you as the person that we needed to keep safe. Nothing more." then I felt tears overflowing. I looked down towards the ground.

"so this whole time, it was just me, all along."

"Yuri," he says as he places his hands on my shoulders, "I'm-" then I suddenly fling my arm and force his hands off of my shoulders.

"Don't touch me! I don't know you anymore! Nor do I want to know you anymore!" He attempts to hold my shoulders again but I push him against the rails, making him almost fall over, and burst through the door as he calls after me. I rush into my room, slam the door shut, screw the door securely locked and hide under my covers and start bawling. Kevin bangs on my door and calls my name repeatedly, saying how sorry he was over and over again. But I never answered. I don't want to hear it. Eventually, he stopped trying and I fell asleep.