Surprised

A BEAST’S MAKE-BELIEVE TRUTH

 

CHAPTER 8: Surprised

I knew we would have looked like complete idiots, embracing each other at the sidewalk, but I didn’t care, and I knew she didn’t too.

Yoseob’s POV

“Hyung, where are you?” I said to Junhyung as soon as he answered my call.

“I’m here at my sister’s house, today’s Jiho’s birthday. Wae? Did you change your mind and want to come here too?”

“Ani, I was wondering if you could—“

I almost slipped as I was going down the stairs as the shouting from the other end of the line continued to burn my ear, “HYUUUUUUUUUUUNG!!! Who are you talking to?! And where’s my gift? Where?? Hyung!!!,” I heard Junhyung’s five-year old nephew yelled at him.

I heard Junhyung hastily answered, “Yeah, yeah, I got you a gift, kid. I’m going to give you one of my Pikachu stuff toys, arasso? So quit shouting already.”

“Nooooo! I don’t want a Pikachu! I want soonja! Soonja! I told you I like soonja! How could you forget!” I laughed as I heard Jiho started wailing. I shook my head smiling and hung up the call. I guess no one can drive me around now.

I stared at the beautiful face on my phone, Yoori-ah… why aren’t you contacting me?  I took a deep breath and decided that I would try and find her again today. I was putting on my shoes when I remembered that yesterday, Yoori’s parents arrived in the country. Maybe they would know where Yoori was.

“Yobosaeyo?”

“Omonim, it’s me, Yoseob. How have you been? Is aboji doing okay?” I asked as I went out of the door and locked it.

“Ne, Yoseobie, we’re doing fine. Gwenchana? You sound a bit worried..” she said sounding worried herself.

“Gwenchana.. it’s just that.. ahmm. Do you know why she’s not contacting me? And did you know that she moved out from her apartment?”

I heard her sigh, “Yoseob-ah.. why don’t you come over here today. And let’s catch up in person. I know it might be a long drive, so we’ll just send a driver. Arasso?”

“Is she there, omonim?  Then I would come over as soon as I can. You don’t have to send a driver, I’d just take the bus. I’ll see you later, omonim. Gomawo.” I hang up after we said our goodbyes. I felt a bit relieved but somehow, I was anxious for no reason at all.

I started to walk away from our house, when soft hands covered my eyes. I could recognize these hands anywhere, anytime. I took her hands off my face and quickly turned around, and I met eyes with the most precious girl in my life. I cupped her face and realized how much I missed those chinky brown eyes.. Yoori-ah..

“Yeobo. Surprise!” she smilingly said to me as she held my hands on her face.

My mind went blank and all I could feel and think of was how much I missed her.. how much I longed to be with her again. “…Do you know how much I missed you?” I said, and swallowed hard. Trying my best not to let any tears fall from my eyes.

“I know, Yoseobie… that’s why I’m here.” She smiled as she squeezed my hands, understanding in her eyes. I embraced her as tight as I could, “Yoori-ah.. will you say my name again?”

She leaned back to look at me, “Waeyo?” a playful smile formed on her lips.

“Please? I like hearing you say my name.”

“Wae? Wae? Wae?” she raised her eyebrow, teasing in her voice.

“Pleeeeeeeeaaase?” I asked, putting on my best aegyo. Something I knew she wouldn’t resist.

She poked my forehead, “Yah! Don’t do that. That’s unfair.” I knew it would work on her.. I giggled and embraced her again.

“Aigoo. My girlfriend looks so cute when she tries to put on a serious face.. it’s okay just hug me tighter then—”

“Yang Yoseob. Yoseob. Yoseob-ssi. Yoseob-ah.. MY Yoseobie…” her whisper cut me off. I smiled and buried my face on her soft brown locks. Her familiar scent drove me to a total daze, completely making me forget everything else in the world.

I knew we would have looked like complete idiots, embracing each other at the sidewalk, but I didn’t care, and I knew she didn’t too. So I just kept hugging her, swaying her softly from side to side.. entirely oblivious to a couple of kids who were giving us odd looks.

“Yeobo…” she said.

“Hmmm..?”

“Let’s go to Lotte World.”