I'm Ready

New Face From the Past (New boy next door sequel)

           

A/N: The chapter was very well received. Is writing a skill that i can add to my résumé? ahahah

I know it took me a whle to upload this chapter. Sorry for that. i hope you guys enjoy it.

 =)  =) =)


 

 

Chapter 18: I'm ready

 

“We should arrange a meet up soon. Everyone has a bit of free time during summer and it’s been a while since we were all together.” Jaejoong kept talking while Yunho and him walked around, just enjoying the view and the company of each other.

                August had come and the weather was unbelievably hot. It was hard to leave the comfort of the AC during the day. Only at the end of the afternoon the weather became pleasant enough to go outside and Yunho and Jaejoong enjoyed the coolness of the twilight by taking walks.

                “You see the guys all the time. Changmin has been spending more time in your apartment than in mine. How much can you miss them?” Yunho rolled his eyes and chuckled.

                “Changmin comes for the food. I should start charging him. And we see them all the time but we don’t spend time together. Not really. Everyone is busy.” Jae reasoned.

                “Pffft, am I not enough?” Yunho played. A wide smile appeared in Jae’s face.

                “You are more than enough. Especially when you are cute like this.” He poked the side of Yunho’s cheek, playfully. “I just miss having some real quality time with them.” Yunho finally nodded in agreement.

                Jaejoong’s phone started vibrating on his pocket. He took a quick look at it and put it back, still ringing.

                “Aren’t you gonna get that?” Yunho asked, curious.

                “Hmm, no. Not really.”

                “Why?” Jaejoong didn’t answer. “Jaejoong what’s wrong?” he insisted with a stern look.

                “It’s my mother’s phone number.” Jae explained, showing the phone to Yunho. The number wasn’t saved in his contacts.

              “Are you sure?” Yunho asked, looking again at the series of numbers. Jaejoong nodded a yes. “You should pick it up.” Jaejoong just looked back at his boyfriend like he had said something very offensive. “It was always your father calling. It’s your mother now. Give it a try.”

                “I don’t’ want to. I don’t want to ruin a perfectly good day.” he stated as if it was no big deal while he put away his now silent cellphone.

               “How many times has she called you today?” Yunho asked. Something had been troubling him since morning, since Changmin called him to go check something on his computer.

                “This was the fifth time. Or sixth. I’m not sure. Let’s drop this subject, okay?”

               No, it wasn’t okay. Yunho was afraid that he was about to bring trouble back to their lives but still he had to tell him. He took Jaejoong’s hand and lead him to a bench were they sat.

              “Jae, you should hear what your mother has to say…” Jaejoong tried to interrupt him right there but Yunho continued. “…because I think I know what she is gonna say.”

                “You do?” Jaejoong asked, blinking his eyes repeatedly in total confusion.

               “Changmin found an article in the internet, in one of those news websites. It’s about your father.” Yunho said with in a solemn as he passed the piece of paper he had printed that morning, to Jaejoong.

                The older man recognized his father in the photo and quickly read the whole article, that wasn’t that big to begin with.

                ‘Successor to KIM ENTERPRISES announced today.’ Was the title.

                The article explained how the CEO of Kim enterprises, Jaejoong’s father, had chosen one of his protégés, a Mr. Kang, to take his place in the company he created.  Mr. Kim was quoted as have said: ‘It’s time for me to have some time to rest and to be with my family. I will remain has the major shareholder of the company but I have strong confidence that Mr. Kang will do a good job leading the company. Despite his young age he has shown admirable capacities and I have been passing my knowledge to him, preparing him to take this position. I admire him as a business man and am also quite fond of him personally, he is almost like a son to me so I entrust him with my legacy.’

                When questioned about why his own son wasn’t the one following his steps in the business world, Mr. Kim answered: ‘My son has chosen another path. He decided this life wouldn’t make him happy so I allowed him to pursue his dreams and find happiness in whatever else he decides to do. I would never force my child to live a life he didn’t choose!’

              That last part enraged Yunho when he first read it. Such a rehearsed and dishonest thing to say. If only people knew how much that man had manipulated his own son’s life to make sure he would follow the path he had chosen for him…

                But his anger didn’t matter. He was only concerned about Jaejoong’s reaction.

                He saw his lover’s eyes pass over each line and he was expecting to see a hint of pain when he went over the part where Mr. Kim calls a stranger his son or at least when he lied so bluntly.

                Surprisingly, all Jaejoong does when he finishes reading the article is laugh. At first a quiet laugh, like he doesn’t believe what he has just read. Then a loud, happy laughter as he pulls Yunho in for a hug.

                “Jae? Hmmm, are you okay?” Yunho asks, waiting for the moment that laughter will turn into hysterical and then into tears.

                “Okay? Am I okay? We should go celebrate. This is good news, WONDERFUL news.” Jaejoong says, looking Yunho in the eye with a huge smile plastered on his face.

                “It is?” Yunho asks although a smile is creeping into his lips too, contaminated by Jaejoong’s happiness.

                “Oh, yes. Do you know what this means? My father finally found someone to play the part of his perfect son. He doesn’t need me to take over the company anymore and the company is all he cares about. He is happy with this new guy and that only means he will leave me alone. he will finally leave me alone and don’t bother me again.” Jaejoong almost jumps up and down on his seat.

                “But… aren’t you sad that things turned out this way?” Yunho asks, still waiting for Jaejoong to realize his own father replaced him for someone else and be broken by it.

                “Yunho, seriously, I’m okay. I have cried too much because of this man, because of my parents. There was a time I felt like I was worth nothing because I wasn’t capable of being the son my parents deserved, because I wasn’t capable of earning their love. For a long time all I wanted was for them to love me. But I understood that my father will never be capable of doing that. I understand that and am at peace with it. I don’t need him in my life because now I have love from so many other people, I don’t feel alone anymore.” He said, cupping Yunho’s face tenderly. “I’m really okay. I’m happy. I’m where I wanna be with who I want to be.”

                Yunho finally relaxed, letting out a sigh and smiling genuinely.

                “I’m glad you feel like that.” He said with honesty. He was tremendously happy that Jaejoong, his Jaejoong, was over the need of acceptation of his father. Only a few months before he would have broken down in tears and would be devastated by that news. Yunho couldn’t be prouder of him.

                He took Jae’s hand and led him. They were hungry and Yunho knew exactly where he wanted to have dinner. Jaejoong smiled when he realized they were heading to the restaurant where he had once worked. The old lady that took care of him notice the two of them approaching through the big window and waved enthusiastically.

                “Wait…” Jaejoong stopped Yunho when they were about to enter and showed him his phone. It was ringing again.

                “I’ll be inside if you need me. Take your time.” Yunho said, noticing that Jaejoong had finally garnered the courage to answer the call. Jae smiled affectionately at him and Yunho kissed his temple before walking in.

                “Hello. Come in, come in.” The lady called Yunho and quickly settled him in a table. The restaurant was still empty. “I’m so glad you came to see me.”

                “Hello, halmoni.” Yunho greeted with a huge smile.

                “Is everything okay?” she asked pointing at Jaejoong who was leaning against the outside of the window and visibly immersed in his phone call.

                “I think so.” Yunho told everything that had happened recently in Jaejoong’s life to the sweet lady that took him in when he most needed.

 

 

                “Hello!” Jaejoong said, his voice was a bit shaky and he hated that.

                “Hello? Hello?? Jaejoongie? Is that you?” he recognized his mother’s voice immediately after many years of not hearing it.

                “It’s me.” Was all he could say.

                “I’m so glad you picked up. I’ve been calling all day…”

                “I know. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to answer.” Jaejoong said with hard honesty.

                “Oh… I see, I understand. What made you change your mind then?”

                “My boyfriend.”

                A long moment of silence.

                “Are you healthy? Is there anything you need?”

                “Those concerns come years to late mother.” He knew he was being a bit harsh but it was the truth. “But I’m okay now. I have a good life and I have everything I need!” he added to soften his statement. He was tired of fighting.

                “Are you happy?”

                “More than I have ever been!”

                “I’m glad.” Jae could hear her sobbing. “That boy… I imagine he’s a grown man now…”

                “Yunho! He’s name is Yunho!”

                “Yes, of course. Yunho! He is good to you, isn’t he? You’re happy… because of him?”

                Jaejoong took a deep breath.

                “Yes!”

                “I see.” Another long pause. “Jaejoongie… my son… I’m sorry. I’m really sorry. We made you feel like…”

                “Like I would never be good enough of a son to you!” Jaejoong completed the sentence.

                “Yes.” His mother said with another sob. “When in reality we were the ones who didn’t deserve you. I see that now… I’m really sorry my son, my beautiful son. I miss you, I really miss you so much. Let’s end this now. Come visit us.”

                “Father wouldn’t like that.” Jaejoong said. He didn’t realize when tears started rolling down his cheeks.

               “He… I… No, he wouldn’t. But you’re not only his son. Come for me. I know I was no good for you, I agreed with your father in everything he did and said. But I regret it now and I’m sorry. When you can, when you have time, come see your mother. I will try to do my best from now on. Your father won’t bother you anymore.” She said and for a minute all Jaejoong wanted to do was board the first bus, train or plain available and run to his mother’s arms. Then he remembered something:

                “Can Yunho and me visit you when my vacation starts?” he asked, testing. The silence that came from the other side was answer enough. “Mother…. Mom, I miss you too. I am tired of having all these bad feelings accumulated inside me. I want to let go of all of that and live happily. For that to happen I need Yunho by my side. Where I go, he goes. If we are to have a good relationship again, you have to start by understanding that. I never did anything wrong mom, I was not a bad son, I was not a criminal. I was a confused teenager and I could not understand what I had done to deserve such harsh treatment form my own parents. The only thing I did was love. What is the wrong in that? Don’t answer, I know you think I love the wrong person but I don’t. He is the perfect person for me; he is the only person for me.” A pause. His mother didn’t say anything. “I have let go of my ill feelings but I won’t keep trying to earn the approval of someone who denied me so completely. I’m ready mom. When you are ready too, come to visit me. Come visit us. I would really like to show you the life I created for myself. I hope knowing your son is happy is enough.” All Jae could hear were sobs. “I’ll be waiting, mom.”

               Like that he hung up. Tears kept falling down his face but he didn’t feel sad. Like he had said, he had let go of all the bad feelings. It was freeing. He felt absolutely and completely ready to live without the shadow of the past hanging over him.

                A new beginning. A true new beginning.

 

 

                When he finally entered the restaurant, his face dried from any tears and his lips curled into a happy smile, he found the two people waiting for him talking animatedly.

                “What did I miss?” he asked as he sat beside Yunho. The latter looked at Jaejoong with an inquisitive expression but the genuine smile on Jaejoong’s lips and the wink he gave him reassured he was alright.

                “Oh, I was just telling Yunho silly stories. Of how this place was always full when you worked here. He really was a client magnet.” She lady smiled.

                “He still is. I think some people may overdose on caffeine from going to his work place so many times to see him.” Yunho laughed with the old lady. Jaejoong only rolled his eyes.

                “Wait here. I’ll make something delicious for us to eat.”

                “Okay halmeoni. Thank you.” Jae thanked.

                Yunho pulled Jaejoong closer to him and rested his chin on top of Jae’s hair. Jaejoong sighed. He felt relaxed and happy.

                “I want to make a little trip tomorrow. Do you have time?” Yunho asked.

                “Really?” Jae asked, excited. “I have the day off. Where are we going? Do I have to pack something?”

                “It’s a surprise. You don’t have to pack anything. I’ll rent a car and pick you up in the morning.” Yunho smiled. Jaejoong seemed like a little kid jumping up and down with excitement.

                “Isn’t this place way to empty?” Jae noticed suddenly.

                “Yeah, some people should have come in by now. It’s dinner time. I haven’t seen any employees either.”

                “That’s weird…” Jaejoong said, taking another look around.

             “Here we are…” the lady said as she re-appeared with a huge tray in her hands, a while later. Both Yunho and Jaejoong immediately got up to help her. “Such handsome and well-mannered boys. I’m so lucky to have dinner with two guys like this at my age.” She said and the three laughed.

                There was way too much food for only three people. And the variety of dishes and side dishes was incredible.

                “Halmeoni, when did you have time to do all this?” Yunho asked, marveled.

                “Oh, it’s just some things I had ready…” she said vaguely.

                “Changmin would love to be here.” Jaejoong started and the three of them enjoyed their meal between stories and laughter.

                Jaejoong couldn’t help but notice how age and too much work were finally having an effect in the woman that played the role of his mother for a while.

                “Do you boys still have space for a slice of pie?” she asked with a smile and returned to the kitchen to pick up a delicious looking and smelling apple pie.

                “I will be fat tomorrow.” Yunho joked.

                “I hope you’ll be a happy fat, then.” The woman said. Her hands trembled a bit has she cut pie for everyone.

                The sky had turned dark with the arrival of the night and their meal was finally over.

                They had been there for hours and no clients had come in. Jaejoong had a suspicion to what was going on:

              “Halmeoni!” he called and took her hand. She smiled warmly at him. “Are you leaving?” Yunho looked at the both of them surprised.

                “It’s time sweetheart. My body doesn’t obey me like it used to. I get tired very quickly now…” she explained, always with a tender smile.

                “The shop is closed isn’t it?” was Yunho’s time to ask. The lady nodded affirmatively.

                “I have been here all day cooking. Cooking was all I ever did. It’s what I’m good at.” She said. “I felt like I had to come and say goodbye to my little corner. I was very happy here, you know?” she looked around, going through years of memories. “I saw you outside, I was really happy that I had someone to taste my last dishes. Especially my two beautiful boys.” She smiled at them again, taking their hands in hers.

                “Did you sell it?” Jae asked.

                “Yes. At least I’ll have some money to live the rest of my life comfortably. I think they are gonna change it and turn it into one of those modern noodle places, you know? Maybe I’ll come try a meal someday if I ever come back to visit…”

                “Where are you going?” Jaejoong asked again and this time he didn’t hide the tears wetting his face.

           “I’m going to Jeju to live with my daughter. She is gonna have a baby. A baby boy.” She said with a radiant smile, cleaning Jaejoong’s tears with the back of her hand. “Oh don’t cry, silly. I’ll be living the life. From now on my days will be filled with walking in the beautiful places of Jeju, pushing my grandson on a stroller.”

                “You know, the biggest fear of an old person is loneliness. Since my husband left me for good I have been working non-stop, making this restaurant and its people my family to not feel lonely. It worked but when I went home I still talked out loud as if my husband was there. He was the love of my life and I don’t think I ever accepted that I lost him so early. I thought the best part of my life was over and now all I had to do was wait for death to come and take me too. Who would have known that the best is yet to come?” now Yunho was crying too.  Quiet tears mixed with a smile.

                “I’m sure he will love your food.” Yunho said and the three laughed quietly.

                “I sure hope so.”

                “He will love you like crazy. You’ll never feel lonely again. I promise you.” Jaejoong added, his voice cracking from the tears.

                “You know the best part? My daughter will name him after my late husband. I will have another Suk Jin to love.”

                “I will miss you so much.” Jaejoong kneeled beside her chair and hugged her while crying.

                “My sweet, sweet boy. I will miss you too. I’m proud of two things in my life: my daughter and you. I’m so happy you came knocking on my door…” she hugged him tightly and his hair. “You came to me as a broken little boy and here you are, a grown man, polite, caring, passionate. Loved.” She added looking at Yunho. “Don’t cry anymore. We are both gonna be happy and not lonely, now. It’s a new adventure.” She said to Jaejoong, holding his face between her hands. “I want you both to be happy. You have a whole life ahead of you and I order you to be happy.” She chuckled. “Come visit me in Jeju sometime. I’m sure I’ll know all the good places to visit by then.”

                The three of them put away the dishes. They left the store. Looking at it one last time.

                “Well then, goodbye. Be a good noodle place to your new owners.”

                Yunho and Jaejoong walked her to her place, a tiny apartment that was now full of boxes with the things she would take to her new life. Her daughter and son in law would pick her up the very next morning.

                They said their goodbyes with tight hugs, no words.

                On the walk home neither Jaejoong nor Yunho talked. Jaejoong was immersed on his thoughts of how important that woman had been in his life, of how different his life would have been without her. Although he felt like crying he knew he should be happy for her.

                “Go sleep. I’ll pick you up tomorrow.” Yunho kissed Jaejoong tenderly. “I promise you we will visit her some day.”

                “I will remind you of that promise.” Jae said with a tired smile.

                “Sleep well. I love you.”

                “I love you, too.”

 

 

 

 

                “Changmin-ah, are you asleep?” Yunho said, knocking on Min’s room door.

                “I’m awake. What do you need?”

                Yunho entered the room and sat beside Changmin in his bed.

                “Are you free tomorrow? I wanna take Jaejoong somewhere but I think someone should come with us. I’m afraid it will be a bit difficult for him.” Yunho explained. Changmin understood exactly what was the destination of that road trip.

                “Shouldn’t you ask Yoochun or Su? After all they are more involved in your story…”

                “That’s exactly why I am not asking them. Jaejoong will need someone that doesn’t have the same memories he does. You’ll be like he’s safe port if it all becomes too much for him.” Changmin gave it some thought before saying:

                “Okay, hyung. I’ll go with you.”

             “Thank you Changdoll-ah. You are actually a decent human being when you try hard enough.” Yunho joked before leaving the room.

                “Say that again and I’ll push you off the car mid trip.”