9 years later

New Face From the Past (New boy next door sequel)

          Hello =)

          First chapter of the sequel. It is an introductory chapter that shows us the dinamics in the life of the now 25 years-old Yunho.

          More characters wil be introduced in the next chapter (that I will update very quickly as it it almost done) and the next chapter will show how hilarious Yunho's roomate can be xD

          Leave me your thoughts on the comment section =)


 

Chapter 1: 9 Years Later

 

                   “Thank you and have a nice day.” Yunho smiled, not very sincerely, at the customer with whom he had just spent the previous hour trying to help him pick a new sports bag and snickers.

                If I have another costumer like that today, I quit.” Yunho mumbled to himself, knowing very well he wasn’t being serious. He had been working in that sports store for a year and a half after he finished college. He kept telling himself he would quit next month, next week, next day and started pursuing what he really liked to do and what he studied for. But that day was yet to come.

                He looked outside the big window of the store seeing lots of young people passing by. Some were just taking a walk, enjoying time with their friends, spending some time with their boyfriends. Others looked busy and stressed, some were even running to not be late for class. Yes, because Jung Yunho worked in a sports store meters away from the university he used to attend.

                According to his room-mate, Yunho had some attachment issues with the place and the university life in general. He was still living in the same apartment he lived while he was a college student and his friends and acquaintances were mostly people from the college. Even in his work Yunho dealt mostly with youths attending the college nearby.

                His roommate had come to the conclusion that he didn’t like, no no, more than that… he didn’t handle separation well. It was hard enough for him to move from his home to the big city to study so he wasn’t going to move again anytime soon.

                Yunho never told his friend how right he was. The boy was younger than him but was sassy, sharp-tongued and liked to play Yunho’s shrink. Yunho just didn’t want to give him any more reasons to be teased.

                He often thought how strange it was that his baby sister liked his room-mate so much. She was quiet, reserved and very sweet but she seemed very amused every time his ‘shrink’ made some smart remark to embarrass him.

                “Thinking about the kid…” Yunho mumbled to himself and checked his watch. In half an hour he would close the store and would go meet his sister Seohyun at the bus station. She begged him to spend a weekend with him in Seoul. She often got bored living just with their parents in the quiet, too quiet, suburbs neighborhood where they both had grown up. Yunho understood her so he agreed, not before making her beg and promise she would do a million things for him in return. He liked to tease his baby sister; yes to him she was still a baby. But he always ended up agreeing with whatever she asked him.

                He didn’t go home much. His parents, by parents meaning mother, called him every day and right before they hang up she would whine about how Yunho didn’t care about her anymore and that now that he was a grown man she would spend the rest of her days sad and alone and forgotten by everyone. Yunho would hear his father in the background asking her if he was invisible or if he wasn’t enough for her and telling her to let ‘the boy’ live his life. It was almost a routine and Yunho would grow concerned if his mother skipped that little drama before hanging up.

                It wasn’t like he didn’t see his parents anymore. He loved his parents more every day and every day he missed them. He was pretty certain there were no better parents in the world.

                He just didn’t felt much attached to the house or the neighbor he grew in. since the summer before he started high school he started to have a dislike of the place. Everywhere were things that brought back happy moments that turned into bad memories.

                So Yunho preferred to have his family come over to his place and visit him, or go on mini vacations with them. Sometimes, when it was a school night for Seohyun, they would meat to eat at some restaurant that was mid-way between Yunho’s and his parent’s houses, or they would go see a movie that didn’t end very late.

                His family were his favorite people and he always made sure to show them how much he loved them.

                “Hi princess.” Yunho called from behind his sister startling her but making a huge smile appear on her lips when she turned and saw who called her. She half walked half ran to him and jumped for a hug

                “Oppa!” she laughed when he hugged her tightly and lifted her foot slightly from the ground. He had indeed missed her. She looked so cute holding her huge backpack and looking everywhere trying to find her brother. He was a bit late, damn them last minute shoppers, but she didn’t complain.

                “Wow, you packed heavy. Don’t you try and move in with me. Omma would accuse us of abandoning her.” Yunho chuckled when he took his sister’s backpack to carry.

                “She’s more dramatic recently. I guess she is just as bored as I am. You know nothing really happens around there. But it’s quite amusing seeing her exaggerating about her lonely life and Appa feeling sad for himself because he isn’t the stud he used to be and he’s no longer enough for mom. In a blink of an eye dad is the one being dramatic and mom is the one comforting him. You know how it goes…” Seohyun told and they both chuckled recalling just how silly their parents could be.

                “But my backpack is heavy because mom stuck a few containers full of food in there for you. If my clothes smell like kimchi I’ll steal yours.” She threatened teasingly.

                “Hmm, home made food. You can have my clothes.” Yunho joked, already imagining the delicious things his mother must have sent him.

                They kept walking and talking. It was slowly getting dark and a bit chilly, being the last days of September. The streets were now less busy and the cafes were full of people trying to escape the cold. In some of them groups of students gathered to study together. Some of those places even had cheap menus, normally a beverage and a sandwich, a hot dog or even package noodles, especially made for students with low budgets.

                Yunho and Seohyun would sometimes eat at one of those places cause Seohyun enjoyed the crowds of young people and because it was easy on Yunho’s wallet.

                They walked through the campus, being the shortest way to Yunho’s apartment.

                When Yunho was still studying he took Seohyun once or twice to meet his college and she loved it. She was a very good student and she decided that she would go to that university when she grown up. Yunho knew his sister could enter a much better school but he still felt a tiny bit proud to see his sister look up at him and wanting to follow his footsteps.

             They would sometimes have a walk around the campus just because she liked and that day they took their time going home so that Seohyun could have her fun looking at everything around her and absorbing a bit of the university lifestyle that she seemed to like so much.

             “You seem so eager to get into college it is even a bit worrying. “ Yunho mumbled earning a confused look from her. “Studying and making lots of friends and all that is okay. But you know most of these people turn crazy at night.” He explained pointed around him in the college’s general direction.

                 Seohyun started laughing and Yunho frowned:

             “Oppa, just because you went wild when you entered college it doesn’t mean I’ll do the same. I remember omma scolding you for partying too much.”

             Yunho blushed slightly recalling his freshman year at college and how he was more interested in all the parties and outside school activities than in studying.

              “It was just a phase in my first year. I studied hard and behaved well after that. Don’t judge me, I was just overwhelmed with all the life of the city. Coming from such a quiet and, well, boring, neighborhood it was a big change.” He rushed to justify his own actions. His sister laughed even harder.

              “I’m not judging. Don’t get all nervous. You were the one who brought it up.”

              Yunho pouted when his sister kept laughing. He was starting to understand why she and the lazy guy waiting for them at home got along.

             “Oppa, look.” Seohyun suddenly said and grabbed Yunho’s arm, getting his attention.

             “What?” Yunho looked in the same direction as her.

             “That guy, right over there. Isn’t he your friend from a long time ago?” She said and took a few steps in the direction she was pointing. Yunho still couldn’t see anyone familiar.

             “Where? Who?”

          “That boy oppa, that boy from when I was still little. Look there, isn’t it him?” she kept asking but Yunho didn’t see anyone familiar and didn’t understand who she was talking about. “He’s walking away. Ohh, I don’t see him anymore.” Seohyun said disappointed when the person she was looking at disappeared into the college’s building. “He just entered the school, but I’m pretty sure it was him.”

              “Seo, who are you even talking about?”

             “Jae jang!” she simply said, remembering Yunho of that hot summer when she was still so little she barely knew how to walk. A summer when someone he was trying to forget taught her that very expression.

             Yunho stiffened a bit. He was sure there were some photos of Jaejoong in his parents’ house, photos that he didn’t want to bring with him. He imagine that his parents might have talked about the blonde after he left and even told Seohyun about him when she was old enough to understand the story.

               But was it possible that his baby sister recognized Jaejoong at first glance? He must have changed and got older. How did she even remember that expression?

               “Oppa?” Seohyun called him after a few moments of silence. He tried to relax and forget about that. He smiled softly at her:

                “I don’t think it was him princess. Let’s just go home. It’s getting cold.”

                She smiled back and followed him without further questions.

 

 

               “Changminie!” Seohyun squealed as she entered her brother’s apartment and found her brother’s roommate sprawled on the sofa, watching TV.

                 “I’ve told you not to call me that.” The boy quickly complained, before sitting up to let Seohyun sit in the sofa too.

                 “Hey Changmin.” Yunho greeted but Changmin seemed more interested in bickering with his sister.

                 “ But… but… Minnie is the only cute thing I can think of to call you.” The girl reasoned.

                 “I’m older. Call me oppa.” Changmin said, trying to act cool.

               “If I call you both oppa when you both live together it gets confusing. And he was my oppa first. So you will continue being Minnie.” She said like it was the most obvious thing in the world and walked away to get her backpack, from where Yunho had already took the containers with food.

                “Yah, were are you going?” Changmin turned off the TV. Playing with Yunho’s little sister was more fun.

            “Homework. I’ll do it now so I can enjoy my weekend.” She explained, showing him the stack of bocks she was now carrying. She sat on the floor, crossed her legs and spread her things around her.

               “You are so responsible it makes me feel bad.” Changmin mumbled seeing the girl get busy with her books. “At this rate you’ll become president or win a noble prize.”

                “Let her study or I’ll kick you.” Yunho threatened from the kitchen where he was preparing something for them to it.

              “No need to get violent.” Changmin yelled back at him making Yunho chuckle. “You know what? I’ll help you!” he said and sat next to the 11 year old girl.

               “And are you sure you can help me?” she teased.

               “Yah, I’m very smart. Ask your brother.”

              They kept bickering and playing until Seohyun’s homework was done and Yunho finished preparing the dinner. He didn’t need to do much else than set the table and take the food from the containers his mother sent.

             Seohyun was a quiet and cute girl but she talked and played the most when she was around her brother. The fact that Changmin enjoyed teasing her added to the fun.

            They wrapped the night with a comedy movie. Changmin was occupying all the sofa, where he would be sleeping because someone had to give up their bed for Seohyun cause she was the youngest and a girl. Between the two boys, Changmin was the youngest so he should be the one doing the sacrifice.

             Of course he didn’t agree with any of that. In his opinion Seohyun should be the one sleeping in the couch cause she was so little and tiny that she would fit just right while he had his legs hanging out from one end of the couch.

           He lost the argument when Seohyun, instructed by her brother, asked sweetly: ‘Oppa, will you borrow me your bedroom?’. Changmin had no weapons against her curtness and ended up sprawled on the sofa mumbling something about not being fair, while the two brothers grinned.

                 He made the siblings sit on the floor while watching the movie and occupied the whole couch, his little revenge.

                “Seohyun, will you go grab some popcorns? Oh and there are drinks in the fridge too.” He asked the girl.

                “How can you ask me to do that when you are making me sit in the cold floor?”

               “Please, princess.” Changmin said trying to look cute while bating his lashes repeatedly. Seohyun started laughing at his silliness but did what he asked.

               “Thank you. See? Two can play this game!” Minnie sing songed triumphantly when the girl handed him the food. She just slapped him playfully in the arm before nuzzling against her brother again.

             “Oh, before I forget. Junsu called. He and Yoochun will be visiting next weekend. I told them it’s alright. Is it?” Changmin asked Yunho. Seohyun automatically started jumping up and down and without saying anything his brother knew she wanted to spend the next weekend with them too.

             “Of course it’s alright, you did good Changminie. And you…” he turned to his sister “We’ll see what omma and appa say.”

          Seohyun nodded in agreement; still excited that her brother didn’t just say no. She had grown up knowing Yunho’s friends. It was only natural that she cared for them and missed them too.

              As for Yunho, he felt happy Yoochun was coming over.

            That guy had become one of Jaejoong’s best friends, before he left of course, and they even kept in contact after that. Yoochun left to study in the States for a couple of years and had got back a few months before. Yunho didn’t know if he was still in contact with his former neighbor but he could always ask.

             That night he didn’t sleep well. He kept turning and tossing in his bed, remembering things he didn’t want to remember and not knowing how to feel.

             If the boy his sister had seen was really Jaejoong what should he do?

 



 

Thoughts? =)