Chapter 1

Textbooks and Tears (Under construction)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Lee Yoon-Mi!, if you don't wake up right this instance; you are going to be late to your first day of school" shouted my irritated mother as she called from downstairs. Quite frankly, I didn't want to go to this new school. I had no friends here and I was upset that I had to spend my senior year here in Seoul instead of Busan, but it's not like I could stay in Busan by myself.

I tossed the bedsheets that covered my face off and onto the floor. Rising out of bed, I hopped into the shower for a quick rinse. I brushed my long black hair free from tangles and took out a hair scrunchie; tying my hair into my normal low ponytail. Wiping off the condensation off my black rimmed glasses that appeared from the hot shower, I placed them back on my face as I went back into my room.

My uniform consisted of a white polo with an emblem and a navy blue skirt with navy blue high socks and black shoes. I looked at myself in the mirror to make sure I looked alright. I went to my bookshelf where I grabbed a big book from the middle shelf and opened it up. It was a hollowed out fake book where I stored some makeup. My mom never allowed me to wear makeup because 'School was for learning, not for looking pretty and showing off ' as my mom would say. 

I placed a light pink gloss on my lips as I placed the book back into the shelf. I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs where my mom had prepared breakfast for me and my younger brother Yoon-jo. "Did you have a good sleep?" I ruffeled Yoon-jo's hair while he munched on some cereal. "Yes" he said with a mouthful. "Don't talk with your mouthful Yoon-jo, its impolite" scolded my mother who sat down at the table with her coffee.

I began sipping on some orange juice and ate my cereal mom had left out for me. Mom took us both to school for our first day, but we would have to walk to and from school after that- seems redundent that a high school senior was having to be walked to school. Yoon-jo's elementry school was next door to Sungkwan high school; so I was obligated to pick up my brother everyday. My mom parked into the elementry school to take Yoon-Jo inside, "Have a good day honey, remember to pick up your brother after school" she said cooing, "Yes mom" I sighed.

I turned to walk, but mom called me back. "Yoon-Mi, come here real quick" she said, using her hand to call me back. I walked back to her, "Yes?" I asked trying to hurry away from her so I wouldn't be late. Mom pulled out a napkin from her backpocket and wiped the pink gloss off my lips. "Didn't I tell you school is for learning, not for looking pretty and showing off?" she stated. I took a deep breath, "I know mom" I said as I sluggishly walked next door.

I really didn't understand why mom never allowed me to wear makeup, but I never asked her since I didn't want to her be mad at me for being a 'disobiedent child'. She was a single mom taking care of an 18 year old and an 8 year old.  I didn't want to make things harder on her since she was already have a hard time enough.

I walked onto the high school grounds and made my way to the front office, after getting lost for a bit. "May I help you?" asked the lady at the front desk. "Uh... yes.. I am a new transfer student...Lee Yoon-Mi." I said nervously to the older lady at the desk. "Aww yes. Here is your schedule sweetie. Enjoy your first day!" the lady smiled as she went back to typing on the computer. I bowed and quietly left the office.

I felt so lost when I was trying to find my class. With everyone just rushing past me, I grew dizzy and stumbled backwards and knocked into someone; her papers scattering and splashing h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter