Lucky

Drabble Collection

Sunggyu had just wandered down the hall to get ready for a good rest when his phone rang, the custom tone dictating that it was his roommate.
"What do you want?" he asked flatly. Woohyun was out partying with friends, he had no reason to be disturbing Sunggyu at home.
"So...change of plans. I'm bringing a girl home. Any chance you wanna clear out for an hour or so?"
Sunggyu deadpanned. 
" off."
"I'm serious - my wallet is on the counter, there should be some cash in there. Go buy yourself something and I'll text you when I'm done," Woohyun urged.
"You're disgusting," Sunggyu grumbled, but he was already walking back down the hall, grabbing his friend's wallet as he headed for the door. He wished he could say this was the first time this had happened.
"You're the best!" Woohyun said before hanging up.

Sunggyu pulled his shoes and jacket on bitterly, wishing disdainfully that his friend's newest conquest would be heavily into and punch him. 

He walked down the sidewalk, kicking at every stone in his path as he trudged on towards the one café he knew for certain would be open at this time of night.
It took him less than fifteen minutes to walk through the front door, and he scanned the menu quickly, though he knew he'd get the same thing he always did. Large though, instead of medium, and a slice of banana bread as it was Woohyun's money and the younger man owed him. 

It was quiet in the café, Sunggyu noted as he approached the counter. He wished he'd thought to bring a book.
He placed his order and opened up Woohyun's wallet, pulling out the $5 bill he had and the few coins. He noticed quickly, however, that he didn't have enough.
Shamefaced, he turned back to the barista.
"I guess I'll-"
"Ah- wait," came a voice, and Sunggyu jumped slightly because he hadn't noticed that someone was standing behind him.
Sunggyu turned around only to see a man about his age fishing through his wallet. The man pulled out a handful of coins before counting them out and holding them out for the barista, a triumphant smile on his face.
"You don't have to-" Sunggyu started, but the stranger dismissed Sunggyu's comment with a light wave of his hand.
"I have too much change anyway," the man smiled, pushing his eyes into crescent moons. Sunggyu blinked, temporarily silenced. He was trying to figure out if the man in front of him really was as cute as he looked right now, or if he only seemed that way because he'd just done a nice thing.
It was a mix, Sunggyu decided, before speaking again.
"Well...thank you. I usually have enough, but my roommate booted me out because apparently his fun is more important than my sleep, and I had to leave in a hurry..." he trailed off, wondering why he was saying so much to a stranger when he was usually silent around those he didn't know.
The man laughed warmly, and Sunggyu supposed it was just a sort of charm he had - he was just easy to talk to.
"Well you got free food out of it, so it isn't all bad," he grinned.
"No, I suppose not..." Sunggyu mused.
"I'm Dongwoo, by the way," the man - Dongwoo, smiled.
"Sunggyu," he replied, giving a small smile in reply.
"Nice to meet you!"
"And you, too. Thank you again..." he trailed off, never sure where to take conversations.

Sunggyu received his purchase from the barista and shuffled to the side to add his usual extra dash of cinnamon into his drink.
Dongwoo ordered too - a white hot chocolate with whipped cream.
The barista laughed and asked if he wanted extra this time, but Dongwoo politely declined and explained that he'd be up all night if he had too much now.
Sunggyu guessed Dongwoo was a regular here then, from the conversation. He wondered why he hadn't seen him before, or if he had but just never taken notice. 

Sunggyu sat down just as Dongwoo paid, and as the barista set to making his drink, Sunggyu had a fleeting thought that it might be a loss on his part if he didn't see Dongwoo again - to thank him properly, of course. But Sunggyu had his hesitations. What did he say? He didn't want to come on too strong, or come off as creepy. Still, Dongwoo had been kind to him...and he was really cute. 
If Woohyun was getting laid tonight, there was no reason Sunggyu couldn't at least talk to a boy. 

Dongwoo got his drink and scanned the room for somewhere to sit, and with a burst of insane courage - well, for his normal - Sunggyu spoke.
"Want to sit down?" he asked, his voice surprisingly casual despite that the question alone had raised his pulse.
Dongwoo beamed, and that didn't do anything to help slow his heartbeat. Was that too cliché? Sunggyu didn't care - Dongwoo was walking his way.

Flustered, Sunggyu quickly got up and pulled the chair opposite him out for Dongwoo to sit down on, and he waited until he was seated before bumbling back to his own seat. That was polite, right? Or was that too forward? .
Dongwoo didn't seem to mind though, as he beamed when he sat down. 

Sunggyu was awkward with conversation - hell he was awful at initiating any small talk, but he found that wasn't a problem since, for Dongwoo, talking seemed to come as  easily as breathing. There wasn't room for any awkward pauses, and Sunggyu found himself fascinated by Dongwoo's mannerisms and views on everything.
The elder boy - Dongwoo was a year younger, he discovered - had just accepted that time stood still when he was talking with Dongwoo. He was surprised then when his phone rang and he excused himself to answer it.
"It's quarter past one, I thought you'd have called by now. You still alive?" Woohyun asked, and Sunggyu blinked in surprise. He checked the time quickly only to realize that his friend was right; his phone read 1:17am. 
"Uh- yeah, I'm good. I just got caught up talking," Sunggyu explained, and as he glanced over at Dongwoo, he could see that the other boy was looking tired now that he wasn't talking with enough energy to light up the whole block.
"I'll be home in a bit," Sunggyu finished before hanging up.

"It's getting late," Sunggyu smiled sheepishly, and Dongwoo grinned but nodded in agreement.
"It's probably closing time, we should get going," Dongwoo chuckled, and Sunggyu looked around in surprise to see that the barista was washing everything up, and they were the only ones left in the café.
Sunggyu his lips habitually, not quite ready to leave Dongwoo yet. It wasn't often - well, it was rare, to be generous - that he felt connected with someone like this. He didn't want this to be it.
"Can I walk you home?" he asked, relieved when Dongwoo's face lit up with a smile.
"Of course!" he said with a small chuckle that Sunggyu didn't quite register.
They got up then and grabbed their things, and Sunggyu made a point of holding the door open for Dongwoo on the way out.

As they walked side by side, Sunggyu couldn't help but smile to himself. He hadn't really gotten a good look at Dongwoo, other than his face. Sunggyu only really took notice now, and it was glaringly evident that Dongwoo was rather short in stature. Sunggyu wasn't a exactly giant himself, but he stood a clear few inches over the younger boy and he'd be lying if he said he didn't find it adorable. 

Sunggyu admired the way the streetlights seemed to twinkle in Dongwoo's eyes, and he couldn't stop himself from laughing softly as the younger boy inhaled deeply before letting out a puff of air, visible in the chilly night. Dongwoo was strange, Sunggyu could tell that immediately, but in the sense that he had a childlike charm to him. 

Sunggyu just about bumped into Dongwoo when the shorter boy stopped abruptly. They'd only been walking a minute - had he forgotten something?
"We're here!" Dongwoo announced with a smile, looking at the dance studio/apartment complex just down the street from the café. 
"You live here?" Sunggyu asked, curiously.
"I work here too," Dongwoo stated proudly. Sunggyu added that to his mental bank of information on the boy. He was a dancer. Though Sunggyu had never seen him dance, obviously, he could picture it. It suited Dongwoo well. 
Sunggyu smiled, but then paused. What did he say now?
"I'll see you later?" Dongwoo asked, almost testing the question.
Sunggyu smiled and nodded, "I'd like that. Ah- one second," he muttered, pulling out his phone. "Just...yeah."
Dongwoo grinned and quickly took the phone, adding himself in as a contact.
"I don't have my phone on me," Dongwoo confessed, "but text me so I can have your number too," he smiled.
"I will," Sunggyu vowed, meaning it.
"Goodnight, Sunggyu hyung," Dongwoo chirped, and Sunggyu liked the way the honorific sounded coming from the younger boy.
"Goodnight Dongwoo," he smiled, and before he could even begin to prepare himself, Dongwoo leaned in and pressed a soft kiss to Sunggyu's cheek. Sunggyu could've sworn his heart stopped, and he genuinely faltered for a second.
Before he could respond, Dongwoo gave a parting wave and darted inside, leaving Sunggyu standing on the sidewalk with - he felt so damn cliché - his hand on his cheek, where he could still feel the press of Dongwoo's warm lips.

Woohyun may have been the one getting laid tonight, Sunggyu mused to himself as he walked home, but he was the one who got lucky.