Seven;

Let Me In (#WeBelieveInYouKris)

It was still early in the morning and Sooyeon had already been summoned by the principle to his office. The flag ceremony that was held every Monday in the gym was just finished and the first thing Principal Lee had done right after was to ask the SBG (Student Body Government's) President to come and see him as soon as possible. 

And of course, Sooyeon was there in a flash. 

"Yes, Principal Lee?" she asked, curiosity clear in her tone. 

"Ah, my dear Sooyeon, please sit down." he says, taking a seat behind his desk. Sooyeon takes a seat on the chair in front of him and she slightly fidgets with her fingers, awaiting for the principal to speak. She literally had no idea what was she here for.

"Have you heard, Ms. Jung?" 

"About what, principal?" 

The principal sighs. "About Mr. Wu Yifan," 

Sooyeon felt his chest tighten. Her breathing hitched up a bit and she looked at the principal with wide eyes. She did not see this coming. "I-um-um, I-"

"Just this morning, a teacher told me she had seen Yifan having a brawl with three men last Saturday. She didn't stop him because she was too scared, but a few minutes later, he came out of the alleyway with his sister behind him. And then, she saw them having a little argument in the middle of the streets." Mr. Lee explained, but before Sooyeon could respond, he continued on talking. "Have you heard about this? The whole school staff knows, and I'm sure some of the students do too." 

Sooyeon blinks once. Twice. Thrice, before she shakes her head. "Um, no. I-I haven't." she's actually stuttering. 

Mr. Lee sighs and nods glumly. "Well, Sooyeon, we can't have Yifan going around Seoul beating other men up. He is a Wu for goodness sake! And he is a student of Cheongdam, he too is our responsibility and we will get criticized for his actions and behavior. We just cannot let that happen." 

She understands. Yifan's image, he has to uphold and portray a responsible, respectable and trouble-free man. Not a mere student who picks fight with just anybody he encounters. His public image can destroy him, his family and the school. That would be very bad. 

"So, Mr. Lee, what are you trying to say here?" Sooyeon asks, pressing on with the topic. 

"I have assigned him to you, Sooyeon." he says simply, his eyes twinkling. "Because I know you are responsible enough to look out for him. His father had asked me personally to discipline Yifan, since he's father is very busy these days. But when I assigned him to you.. he's your responsibility in and out of school." 

Sooyeon's heart skipped a beat at that. "Ex-excuse me?" she stuttered. "Mr. Lee, is that even legal? What am I? His babysitter? There's no rule in school that-"

"Ms. Jung," he says and that shuts Sooyeon up. For now. "I know, I know it seems a bit ridiculous but it was a personal favor from his father. I had to abide since his father is a very nice man, and it was coming from the President of the Wu Enterprises. I cannot reject him that easily. He asked for the best student in school to guide his son, and I chose you, Ms. Jung. Because I know you can make him open up and make him change." 

Sooyeon purses her lips. When the principal puts it that way, she has no choice. Yifan was her responsibility, yes, but she didn't think he would be her responsibility outside of school too. The principal was wrong, it wasn't a 'bit' ridiculous. It was really ridiculous. Why would she even do that? 

But then again, when she thought about it. She felt a little guilty for not following Yifan last Saturday, because as the principal had said; he had gotten into a fight. She doesn't know why, but she's worried about him. They're not even acquaintances, much more friends.. but Sooyeon is concerned for his well-being. 

Of course, because she is partly responsible for his actions too. She was supposed to be shaping him into this model student that everyone would come to love and adore, but she was clearly failing miserably at that. 

Though she won't be for long. 

"So.." she bites her bottom lip and chooses the right words to say. "You want me to.. to change him? To make him become more respectable and notable?" 

The principal nods. "Yes, exactly. Wu Yifan is witty, handsome, cunning and above all; skillful. He has a pretty interesting background, Ms. Jung, would you like to read his profile overview? To get to know him better?" he offered. 

Sooyeon was surprised. Was the principal really asking her that question? He practically said: "Would you like to stalk him?" and it made her a little uncomfortable. Though, truth be told, she did wanted to read his profile.. but, she hesitated in doing so. 

"Principal Lee, I'm not sure if I should-um, I-"

"Nonsense. You could do it if you would like. This way, you can relate more to him and see what he likes. Yifan may seem distant and cold, but I'm sure he's a very nice man." he says, smiling at her. 

Sooyeon just sighs. He is in no way nice to me. But, Sooyeon had already found herself worrying about the boy and having concerns for him. After that fight with Yongguk.. she had to admit, she was really worried about what would happen to him and her if the principal finds out, but thankfully, he didn't and Sooyeon didn't plan on telling him. 

But she didn't like Yifan, she couldn't find a reason to like him. They were in no ways similar in her eyes.

But Yifan.. he was something. He maybe be bad, he maybe a trouble maker, but he is smart. And, she hated to admit it, he was smarter than her. It annoyed her, yes, but it interested her that someone as cocky and arrogant as Wu Yifan could be as smart as someone like the well-respected student like her, Jung Sooyeon. 

Finally, Sooyeon sighs. 

"I trust you with him, Ms. Jung." where the principal's finals words before she had left his office, a folder containing Yifan's student profile in her hands. 

/\|\/

She catches herself from time to time, just looking at him while the lessons and classes drone on. Sooyeon doesn't even bother to listen during discussions or lectures since the night before, she had already studied them all, so she needed not to worry about that. She just needed to worry about Yifan now. The principal had personally asked her to look after him more, and she didn't know what to do with him. 

Yifan.. he was cold and snobbish. And apparently bipolar. One minute, he's smiling at the girls and even sending them flirty winks. Then, the next, he's pushing everyone away, glaring at them if they came near him. 

He confused her, and Sooyeon didn't like it. In order for her to fulfill her duties in looking after him, she had to first understand him. But how could she when he won't even give her much of a side-way glance. 

During lunch, it was Sooyeon who went out first before all the others. She wanted to get a table at the far corner all by herself so that she could read Yifan's student profile, and maybe she can understand him more through the document. And after, she could be friends with him. If fate and time allowed them too. 

As she ate her sandwich alone, she was skimming through the pages of Yifan's profile. So far, she has read that Yifan used to be the basketball captain of his old school. She wasn't surprised, he was tall and he did kind of reminded her of an Asian basketball player. 

He was also the top of his class. 

This didn't quite surprise Sooyeon as well. They were his tests and quizzes to prove how smart he was, and his sharp tongue that would sometimes beat Sooyeon during oral recitations. 

Yifan won several contests in the visual arts.

Now this one surprised Sooyeon because she would never of guessed that someone like Wu Yifan could actually be an artist. She had seen him doodle on his notebook or on paper sometimes but she never thought much about it because she never got a good look. Now she was curious. 

Yifan had been part of clubs and had been an club officer for more than one subject. 

Sooyeon knitted her eyebrows, he didn't really radiate leadership around her. He wasn't even bossy like her, and he would always prefer to work alone rather than in groups.

From the corner of Jung Sooyeon's eyes, she saw Yifan walk past her table, heading for the tables outside. 

Sooyeon hesitated for a moment, debating or not that she should follow him and make a move on befriending him. Sure, she was confident, but Sooyeon was never the one to socialize. 

She didn't have any real friends, or people she could even call 'friends', she only had accquaintances. And sometimes, Sooyeon liked to work alone too because she felt more at peace whenever she was. She's too busy to even have fun with other girls, or boys her age because she's too busy with school, work and life.

In short, she didn't really know how to make friends.

But, for the sake of everyone that was counting on her to look after Yifan, she had to do it. 

And soon, she already found herself standing in front of the boy, nervously awaiting for his reply to her greeting which was a simple 'Hi'. 

He looks up at her from the book that he was reading, his eyes not warm and welcoming. "What do you want?" he says through gritted teeth. 

Sooyeon frowns and bites back a retort. "I, um, can I sit here with you?" she asks, holding up her tray and bag and she even manages to smile at him. Though, it was forced. 

"I don't know," Yifan calmly bites on his apple. "Can you?"

"I don't see why not." Sooyeon replies almost immediately. 

He looks up and narrows his eyes on her. "No, seriously Jung, what do you want?" 

Sooyeon sits down without his permission, and this only annoys Yifan even more. It was bad enough that she disturbed his reading and lunch, now she had to sit with him? Why him of all people? Yifan was curious, but he was still annoyed. "Please, just call me Sooyeon."

Yifan doesn't say anything as he averts his gaze back to the book he was holding. Sooyeon ate quietly, glancing at him from time to time. His forehead was creased and his eyebrows were knitted together as he concentrated on the book in front of him. Then, Sooyeon only realizes after a while that the book he was reading was English. 

"You can read English?" Sooyeon blurts out, she couldn't help herself. When he gave her a questioning look, she almost could've blushed in embarrassment. Almost. "Um, I-I mean-"

"I was born and raised in Canada." he says, his English crisp and smooth. 

Sooyeon is practically stunned. She never knew that the Wus had originated in Canada too, because as far as she knew, they were all of Chinese blood. Pure Chinese blood to be exact. And it wasn't stated in his studnt's profile that Yifan was from Canado. 

"Which part?" she counters, also speaking in English. 

Yifan raises an eyebrow, clearly impressed by her English as well. "Vancouver. How'd you know how to speak English?" 

Sooyeon frowns, as she remembers her past. Of course, she couldn't tell him that. She didn't even fully trust him yet and she didn't want to share her past with anyone but herself. It was just too painful for her to even tell to anyone else. "Um, I was raised in California for a short period of time and then, I-.. I continued on learning English in school." she says. Her palms starts to get sweaty and her breathing is uneven, but he doesn't notice this.

"Oh? I see." Yifan turns back to his book as if nothing had happened. 

Sooyeon frowns once more. He was so difficult to work with it was beginning to infuriate her. But Sooyeon kept her cool in front of him, at least for now. 

Her eyes travel down, and she notices the red slashes on his arm, just below his wrist. It contrasted with his white, flawless skin. His arms were exposed since he wasn't wearing his blazer, and his elbows were rested on top of the table as he held up the book and read. Sooyeon saw the slashes perfectly from her spot, and she knew that it wasn't caused by an accident.

No, they were too perfectly straight. Sooyeon counted them, they were 6 all in all and they didn't look new, they looked like wounds only from a few days ago if she's not mistaken. 

She looks at him. "Yifan, hey," she says, her voice soft and tender. 

It's the first time he hears her speak so warm and tenderly that he's forced to look up at her. "What?" but his voice is still cold and hard. 

Sooyeon gives him a look of pity and sadness. Her bitter feelings towards him disappear for a moment as she thinks about what he does in his room, when he holds that razor or the material that he uses to release the stress and pain from his body. It's not healthy, and it's dangerous. Sooyeon had gone through it, and she knew the effects of it better than anyone in her class. 

She can't let this go on. Annyoing or not, arrogant or not, she was going to make him stop. They weren't close, yes, but she was technically in charge of him, the principal had given her the right to look after the Wu's heir and only son. Even though she didn't quite like him as a whole, or as an individual, she still wanted to help. What he was doing.. it was just so wrong. 

"Stop cutting yourself, it won't help you, you know." she says softly, her eyes portraying the feeling she felt towards him; pity. Yifan widens his eyes as he puts his arms down and under the table.

"Wha-How-you-"

Sooyeon shakes her head and he stops speaking. "It'll only make things worse. It won't help. Whatever feeling you have inside of you, it won't go away forever by cutting yourself. You-"

"What do you know?" he burst out, which made Sooyeon flinch. He was glaring at her. "Huh? Tell me, Jung Sooyeon, what do you know about me? You only know me as Kris Wu! You only me because of my family. You don't know the real Wu Yifan. You call me by my real name, but you don't know the real me." he spits out at her before turning around to leave.

Sooyeon sits there, just staring at him, unfazed by his sudden outburst at her. But she slowly lets the words sink in. She watches him storm away, pushing students roughly to the side before he finally disappears from her line of sight. 

As she bites on her lower lip, all she can do right now is sigh.