Nineteen;

Let Me In (#WeBelieveInYouKris)

Yifan was worried about Sooyeon of course. He thought it would be a natural feeling to have towards someone you really like and want to protect. He wanted to know that she was safe, so he had agreed to look for her along with Miyoung and that meant he had to endure the suffocating awkward atmosphere between them as they walk towards the school gates only a few minutes until the bell rang. 

Yifan glances at Miyoung from the corner of his eyes, trying to think of something, anything to break the uncomfortable silence they were having. Even though he used to be such an introvert when he first came in the school, he slowly started opening up and slowly started getting comfortable with everyone in the class. With some exceptions of course like Hwang Miyoung. He didn't like the silence they were having, it made things all too awkward for the both of them. "Umm," he clears his throat but before he could say or do anything more, Miyoung beats him to it.

"There's this small eatery.. or like a food store near the bus stop down town. It's a little far, but we can make it on foot." she says, and he notices she had glanced up at him when they walked out of the school gates to begin their search for Sooyeon. "She likes the food there so we used to go there all the time when we were in middle school. I'm not a hundred percent sure she'll be there though. But we have to try. Also, there's this coffee shop she works at. It's pretty far, and I kind of doubt if we can make it by foot. So, let's just go there after we search the food store." she suggests.

Yifan couldn't help but smile a little. Her tone reminded him of Sooyeon's every time she gave an order. Bossy and superior; that's what they sounded. "Did she work during Saturday? She told me.. she told me she couldn't go out that day because she had work. But now that I heard she was staying at your place, did she-"

"She did." Miyoung says firmly, her tone still sounding the same. This time though, she didn't spare him a single glance as they made their way to the nearest bus stop Miyoung was talking about. "I can't believe she told you she works part-time. Sooyeon doesn't.. well, like I said, she doesn't really talk about herself that much. But I guess," only then did she look at him and she gave him a good head-to-toe look before turning her head away. "You can be an exception."

Yifan's eyebrows knit together in confusion but didn't ask her what she meant by that. Instead, he wanted an answer to something else. "Why is she even working part-time? She's a senior, and it's the busiest year in high school. And.. I still don't get why she had to run away. She can just report her adoptive mother to the police or child authorities, right?" there were so many questions he wanted an answer to, so he started with the ones that he desperately wanted to know. 

Miyoung heaves out a sigh and Yifan swore he heard her mumble 'I guess she didn't tell you everything' before she had cleared . "She has to have a job. Her mom isn't even working these days. She took a six-month leave. Sooyeon's the most independent person I know. She's a multi-tasker, she's practically four dimensional. I see no problem in her working, 'cause she's still number one in the whole class and year. Sooyeon's still 18, turning 19 soon, she's gone through so much at a young age but she thinks..." she lets out a sigh of frustration this time and she grips onto the straps of her backpack as she looks down while they continue walking. "Just because she's so independent these days, she thinks she can just do everything by herself. She doesn't want to end up in an orphanage again, and I get that. She's already too old to be in one anyways."

Again, he knits his eyebrows together making creases appear on his forehead. He stares at Miyoung as she talks, but there was one thing that had caught his attention. She had said Sooyeon was 18, which meant she was a year older than him. But.. that meant, she shouldn't even be in high school anymore.This caused him to ask yet another question when they were already crossing the street. They were getting nearer and nearer to their destination. To the place where Sooyeon probably was.

"She's 18? Wait, did her birthday just pass or something?" he asks when they reached the other side of the cross road. "That means that she's supposed to be-"

"Yeah, she should be in her first year of college by now." Miyoung says blandly. "But, well, there's a reason why Sooyeon is so studios. Nobody could be that smart without having experienced something to motivate them. She repeated a whole year in primary school.. because she had three failing grades." at that, Yifan widens his eyes in pure surprise. He did not expect Sooyeon to even have a grade lower than B, much less a failing grade. Much less three failing grades. "She was a year older than me when she moved schools to repeat 4th grade. Ever since she moved schools.. she's changed. She worked harder, and stuided even harder. And then, look where she is now.."

Yifan purses his lips as he slowly looks away from Miyoung, trying to in another bucket of information he got about Sooyeon. So, that was the reason behind why Sooyeon was even so brilliant and smart to begin with. It wasn't natural brains like Yifan, but she studied her way to the top. It made him even like Sooyeon more. She was such a strong individual, that he more than admired her now. 

"Actually, we don't know where she even is. That's why we're looking for her in the first place." 

Miyoung lets out a chortle, her eyes taking shape of crescent moons as she places her hand over . If Yifan didn't know better, he thought Miyoung actually looked cute when she smiles or laughs. "You're so literal." she only mutters and it's enough to make Yifan smile, it's also enough to make him a little happy and lighter inside, it makes him a little less worried about Sooyeon's absence. 

"Anyways," Yifan lets out a chuckle, lightening and lifting up their moods even more as he did. Miyoung was still smiling at him, and so were her eyes; they had turn into the most beautiful crescent moons Yifan had ever seen. It seemed as though her eyes disappeared for a second as her lips curved more upward. "Ummm.." he felt a little flustered, and by then, he had forgotten what to say. 

"We're here." he was only lucky when Miyoung turned the corner and stopped in front of the eatery she was talking about. They were still outside, but they could see the whole shop from where they were. It was empty, there were no customers. No Sooyeon. Miyoung stepped into the place and tried asking the women behind the counter if a girl from their school had come over. To their dismay and misfortune, she told them no. 

Even though it was clear to him, she still said the words that didn’t need to be said; “She’s not there,” Miyoung informs him without looking up. She’s frowning down at the pavement and the sadness behind her eyes seemed greater than before when they were at school. Genuinely worried and sincerely depressed about the situation, those would describe the

Yifan doesn’t know what do with a frowning girl. Actually, Yifan doesn’t know what to do with a girl in general. He’s never been in a serious relationship and he’s not one of those girl-crazed, hormonal teenage boys either. He’s had crushes yeah, and he’s played with a girl’s heart before, sure, but to have a girl frowning in front of you was somewhat new to Yifan mainly it was because of his lack of experience with the opposite and because Sooyeon doesn’t frown that much when they’re together. 

So, Yifan thought cheering her up would at least make that frown turn into a straight line. "Let's go check that cafe. Maybe she's working there right now like you guessed." Yifan couldn't hide the false hope from his voice, and Miyoung only sighed at that.

"Maybe, come on, let's go." she her head to the side and before Yifan could even say anything more, she starts walking ahead. "It's too far for us to walk. We should take the bus." it wasn't a suggestion, but a command. The blunt and hard tone she used made him worry even more. Did they really have no chance or hope in finding Sooyeon? 

No, don't even think about that. Yifan tries to tell himself that she's out there in the city, safe somewhere. She's out there, and she's safe, they just had to find her.

"Oh, and Yifan?" they stop at the pedestrain lane, the light above was the red. Yifan was half-zoning out by watching the cars zoom past them, but when Miyoung called softly out for him, he turned to her; poker face and all. "By the way, she doesn't work at a cafe, it's more of a coffee shop." the twitching at the ends of her lips made him indicate that she was trying to hold down a smirk.

Yifan snorts at her for once, and he doesn't quite realize how comfortable they were around with each other now. It took him and Sooyeon a few days to butter up to one another and to adjust with the other's presence, but with Miyoung, strangely, Yifan seems more relaxed and laid-back. "Oh, sorry."

When he looks back at her face, she's smiling again and he's relieved. Just a little bit. Just a little bit, because Sooyeon is still labeled missing in his mind.

But at least, he wasn't searching alone for her. He had Miyoung by his side, and just like him, she wanted what's best for Sooyeon too. Why? They were friends. And that's what real friends are suppose to do. 

"Why does she work at a coffee shop though?" Yifan asks when the light changes to the color green and he, Miyoung and some other people started to cross to the other side. "I mean, it's not like a your pay from a coffee shop can buy you a full restaurant meal; appetizer, main course, dessert and all. They pay you under 10 thousand won from what I heard-"

"Yes, but-" Miyoung cuts him off. "This one is quite popular with the youth, so I think maybe their employees get a higher pay. Probably 50 to 65 thousand? I'm not so sure. These days, some stores are quiet picky with their employees and most don't let high school students work in their stores. So naturally, Sooyeon grab the first oppurtunity she had."

"At a coffe shop?"

"Obviously." it was Miyoung's turn to snort and Yifan to hold back a smirk. She's not so bad, he thought; referring to Miyoung. 

They boarded a bus as soon as they had gotten to the small bus stop. Like a gentleman, Yifan let Miyoung in first and he let her sit on the window seat. The atmosphere around them had turned a little lighter and brighter than just a few minutes ago. Yifan finds himself feeling even more comfortable around Miyoung with each passing second and the worry in his heart and chest was slowly fading away as he continued to think positive thoughts about Sooyeon's whereabouts.

"Don't worry too much about her, she's a strong girl." Miyoung had said, to make him feel even less burdened by their search. "Sooyeon really might be working right now. I just know it." but then Yifan began to notice that maybe Miyoung was saying those things more to herself than to him. 

Yifan tried for a smile, and Miyoung smiled back. They boarded the bus and Yifan, for the first time in his life, wanted to be a gentleman. He let Miyoung go in first and lightly held onto her wrist to help her up the stairs. He also let her sit by the window seat and Miyoung, at the end, murmured thank you before the bus had started to move.

Yifan only smiled back. Instincts must've kicked in because Yifan was never really the one to act so nice and gentle around a girl, especially around someone whom he doesn't know. Heck, he doesn't even act that kind around Sooyeon herself. Yifan teases her and plays with her a lot, only because she doesn't get mad or angry at him. Miyoung might be the opposite though if Yifan . 

"I really hope she's okay..." it was Miyoung's voice that made Yifan turn to look at her. But she was looking down, and she was frowning again. Yifan didn't know how someone could smile this second then frown the next. "I mean, she is going to be okay, right?"

Yifan didn't quite know if she was talking to him or to herself, but he answered her anyways. "Right." he said with a firm nod. "We just have to go to the coffee shop and see her there. You know, it's okay Miyoung, I don't doubt that she's safe. She's out there, Sooyeon, and when we see her, the first thing we have to ask is that where she's been and-"

"Stop the bus!"

He's cut off and Yifan literally jumps in surprise. His heart skipped a beat and he clutches onto it with his right hand while looking at the one who had screamed those three words; Miyoung. Yifan's mouth was agape and his eyes were wide when he looked at her, standing up from her seat. "I said stop the bus, ahjussi" she's practically screaming at him, demanding for the vehicle to stop. And it does, with very loud protests from the other passngers. 

"Miyoung, what're you-" but before he could even stop her or at least tell her to, she pushes him back on his seat enough for her to squeeze between his long legs and the back of the seat in front of them. The driver stops the bus as some of the passengers, mostly elder people, say things to Miyoung as she passes by them to get to the door and to the driver that looked as equally as startled as Yifan. 

"What is she doing?! Who does she think she is, stopping the bus..."

"My, what a rude girl! Yah, did you learn no manners from your parents, girl?" 

"I woke up from my nap thanks to you!"

"Aya, it must be an emergency, Calm down, will you?" 

"Mi-miyoung! Wait!" Yifan finally gathers his wits and follows her. He bows to the people he passed by and mutters heartless apologies to them. "Miyoung, seriously.." he grumbles under his breath when he walks down the steps. "I'm really sorry for that." he says to the driver, who is now scowling and looking at him with distaste, before he closes the door using a lever. Yifan clenches his fists. 

Yifan takes two steps back (sighing when he did) just before the bus zooms away from him. He turns around and walks over to the sidewalk under the afternoon sun, searching for Miyoung as he did, to avoid getting hit or sideswiped by the passing cars and buses. He sees her, but she doesn't see him. She has her back turned to him and she was standing in front of a bakery. Yifan frowns. "Miyoung, what was that back there, what the actual-"

As he nears her, he realizes, Miyoung is talking to someone. "Where have you been?! Do you know how worried we were? My mom was worried sick! How can you be so wreckless?! How can you not attend school? You wore your uniform this morning but you didn't go to school! Who does that! Seriously!" 

Yifan sees Sooyeon, and she's frowning at Miyoung who wouldn't stop talking in front of her. Although she's not smiling, Yifan still feels his heart swell up in joy and his worries went down the drain when he saw her first. His mouth was open, agape again as he only stared at Sooyeon. Words didn't quite describe the happiness of seeing her safe that he felt that specific time. 

Still in one piece. Still safe. Still alive. I'm glad. 

Then Sooyeon sees Yifan too. Her eyes widen and the people passing by in the streets give her weird and curios looks, but she ignored them. Her eyes were only on Yifan, and he doesn't know if it was good or bad. Bad because then, her expression change. She crinkles her nose and her eyebrows knits together but it wasn't out of curiosity. It was out of annoyance. Like, as if, she was genuinely annoyed by the fact that Yifan was there. 

"You told him?!" she turns to Miyoung, eyes wide and face the colorof a tomato. Yifan didn't know if it was out of embarrassment or anger. But it looked more like the latter. Again, people who pass by them are giving them looks but the two girls didn't seem the least bit uncomfortable under their stern gazes.

Yifan steps forward, ready to explain but Miyoung's scoff makes him lose his timing. He falters and hesitates, and before he gathers his wits back together, Miyoung crosses her arms over her chest before she speaks again. "Sooyeon, are you kidding me? Why wouldn't I tell him? He's your friend, he has a right to-" 

"To nothing." Sooyeon's voice was hard, annoyed and even, dangerous. Both Yifan and Miyoung were a little bit tacken aback by her sudden change of tone. She was glaring, at Miyoung then at Yifan, but she kept her eyes on the former as if she wanted to avoid eye contact with the latter. Miyoung had agape, at a total loss for words. "He has a right to nothing, Miyoung. I told you not to tell anybody. I told you that didn't I?! Didn't-"

"Sooyeon-ah, seriously!" Miyoung's voice sounded desperate in Yifan's ears. She looked from left to right, and Yifan also noticed the people that had stopped to look at the high school students. "stop shouting, people are watching. How about we go-"

Yifan met Sooyeon's eyes, and this time, he can see no hint of sadness or regret behind them. All he could see was black, he couldn't read her. He didn't understand her, that's for sure. So when he was about to say something, she stomps her foot against the ground and groans. "Ugh." Sooyeon rolls her eyes and Yifan's jaw drops slightly when she walks away from them.  


i miss kris, okay? 3 I can't update that much now. anyways. X X self-advertising. heul. don't mind me.