chapter seven

Demons


Ava watched as Baekhyun ran down the steps. He grabbed the statue and walked into the living room.

 

“Mrs. Kim? Do you know what this is?”

“Baekhyun! Where did you find that?” Ava’s mother stood up, his father eyed the statue with suspicious eyes.

“It’s been in your house for a while now…we were just wondering if you knew what it was.”

“Gosh, that’s beautiful!” Ava’s mother beamed.

Baekhyun took a few steps back as he set the statue down. It felt warm in his arms; almost as if it was an actual human dripped in white paint.

Ava stood behind Baekhyun. “Mom no…can we please get rid of it?”

“Why? This is beautiful?” She walked up to the statue and touched it. “It’s so…realistic.”

“Mom, weird things have been happening. This thing…appears out of nowhere.” Ava said.

Her mother rolled her eyes. “Honey stop! I really need to get rid of your horror movies collection.”

Baekhyun shook his head. “It’s true…” He said.

Ava grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. “Don’t even…” She whispered. “I know it’s not going to work.”

She looked down at her phone that glowed in her boot. “Hey…I think Kai needs us.” She whispered.

Baekhyun pulled out a gun and watched as Ava did the same.

“Guys! What’s with all the weapons? Are those real?” Her father asked.

“Look outside; you’ll understand why we need them.”
 Ava said as she walked with Baekhyun. “I’ll be back.”

 

The amounts of corpses outside were insane. “Baek! Don’t get bitten…or scratched.” Ava screamed as she fired bullets.

“! Agh!” Baekhyun dropped his gun and grabbed his arm.

She looked over at to see him surrounded. Ava ran through the crowd and dropped a grenade. She took Baekhyun’s good hand and pulled him out. “Run!”

 

“Sehun! He got bitten!” Ava ran into the laboratory to see the blonde male assembling guns.

Kai was across from him. “He did?” He shot up and went over to Baekhyun.

Sehun grabbed one of the anti-viruses and stabbed the needle into Baekhyun’s neck.

“Ah!”

“It’ll heal you…but it’ll also do something else.” Sehun said. “I didn’t know until Kai took it. I felt weird afterwards also.”

“What does it do?” Ava asks.

“I barely feel human anymore.” Kai says. “Ava shoot me.”

She took a few steps back. “Excuse me?”

“Shoot me…with a gun. Right here.”

Ava stared at him like he was crazy. “Kai…”

Sehun grabbed a gun and pointed at Kai’s shoulder. Baekhyun watched in awe as the bullet repelled once it hit his skin. Sehun walked over and slammed Kai’s arm down onto the metal tables.

Ava gasped when she heard a sickening crack. Kai stood up and popped his bone back into place. “I’m fine.”

“What the …” Ava whispered.

Sehun held up the anti-virus. “Helps you heal faster and makes you stronger. It’ll make it impossible for you to turn into one of those things.”

Baekhyun looked over at Ava. “Take it…”

“Sehun-“Ava gasped in pain.

“We don’t have much time.” Sehun said as he stabbed the needle into her neck.

Kai grabbed his tablet and projected all of the information onto a wall. “Guys, google got back to me. All those corpses…they used to live in this neighborhood.” He said as he went through their profiles.

Ava remembered the pictures she snapped of all the living corpses. “What happened to them?”

“They died…some of them were unrecognizable, take this woman for example.” Kai showed a picture of a corpse lying on the floor with a bullet through the head.

“Zoom in.” Ava whispered. “Go down…”

Baekhyun stood next to her. “What do you see?”

“Zoom into her finger…that’s an engagement ring.” Ava whispered.

“Then…no way.” Kai whispered. “All these people, these corpses were the people who fall in love in this neighborhood?”

“They all died because they fell in love, why are they back now? No one’s in love ….” Sehun said.

“That’s what you think.” Kai whispered. “Why are there so many of them?”

“The infection, after you get bitten…it spreads. The original corpses were these people, but they must’ve infected all the other humans in town. They came back to life with only one intention; the need to feed.” Sehun whispered.

 

They all froze in their spots when they heard the familiar growls and odd breathing.

“.” Kai cursed under his breath and grabbed a gun. “Where is it?”

Sehun looked around the facility and couldn’t spot any corpses. “There’s nothing here but I hear it.” His panicked voice said.

 

Baekhyun snapped his head around when he heard the sudden scream coming from Ava.

“What happened?” He asked.

“You didn’t feel that?” Ava asked. “Something cold grabbed me.” She said as she touched her arm. She rolled up the back leather sleeve to reveal darkening purple bruises.

She felt Baekhyun’s strong arms pull her back. “What is that?”

Sehun walked over to what Baekhyun was looking at.

He stared at the container of water; it started to darken little by little. “We need to get out of here.” Sehun gulped. He reached over to cover it with a lid when an arm covered in black liquids came out to pull him.

 

Ava scrambled back in horror while Kai and Baekhyun fired mercilessly, the container broke but the arms didn’t stop. A woman with hair all over her face climbed out of the puddle of black water, with her grudge like appearance, she continued to grab onto Sehun’s neck.

“The bullets aren’t doing anything!” Sehun gasped for air. “She’s ing transparent, they go right through!” He tried to grab her arm and hopefully pry her off him but he ended up grabbing air.

Ava watched in horror when she noticed the nametag on her black stained shirt. “Claire.” She whispered.