chapter eleven

Demons


Baekhyun flew up when he heard Ava scream. He reached for the light switch just to panic when it wasn’t there. The light switch no longer existed; the room was pitch black and his heart pounded. “Ava?” He whispered.

“Baekhyun! Baekhyun!”

He heard her desperate screams but he felt as if the room was a black hole, with its infinite blackness he couldn’t figure out where she was. He stumbled around the room like a lost puppy with his heart racing. There was something here and only he knew.

Baekhyun jumped when something cold grabbed his leg. He felt onto the ground and shook in fear when he saw it coming towards him, he didn’t know what it was but it was cold, dead and it craved his blood.

“N-No…No…” Baekhyun stammered.

“Baekhyun!”

He snapped his head up. Ava was on the verge of tears and he heard the fear in her voice. “Ava.” He whispered. He scrambled to his feet and touched the walls; her bed had to be here somewhere but where?

He ignored the spirit that followed after him, and just as he hoped for some source of light, thunder outside.

Baekhyun gasped, he turned to the window and watched as it thunder stormed. When the lightening , he saw a demon at the window.

He ignored it, because Ava mattered to him more than anything at this point. He found the edge of Ava’s bed and walked towards her just to have his legs pulled away; he turned around to see the faceless angel.

Baekhyun shook his head. “No…Ava…Ava.” He reminded himself, turning around; he came face to face with the angel again.

His fist came crushing through the angel’s porcelain surface. Baekhyun reached for Ava’s hand and pulled her close. “Are you okay?” He asked.

She shook violently and looked around. “There’s something here…and it’s not the angel… There’s something else in my room.” She whispered.

“What is it?”

Ava shook her head. There was a lingering spirit here and it was angry, she heard the whispers through her walls and felt it touch her with its cold hands.

“There’s nothing here anymore Ava calm down we’re going to be okay.”

Ava shook her head. “No…it’s here…” She eyed her closet, then her door and then her doors again. She felt as if her angry spirit was going to come back alive any minute now. “It’s…here.” She turned to the boys; Sehun was sound asleep, Kai too in a corner. But…where was Kris?

 

“Kris…” Baekhyun whispered. “Where’s Kris…?”

Then he heard crying, a little baby crying.

 

In horror, the two turned around quietly. Ava couldn’t decide what was more bizarre, the fact that Sehun and Kai were still in dreamland in oblivion or the fact that there was a little baby standing by the door.

The little girl had a huge resemblance to both her and Baekhyun.

Baekhyun held her close and pulled her back. “…Who is that?” He whispered.

Ava inched forward just to be pulled back into his arms. “Annie…” She whispered.

Baekhyun looked at her in shock; scars started snaking up her wrists and neck. Her eyes turned into a dull black blue color, and her face…looked extremely pale. “Ava no…” He shook his head. “That…”

“Our child…” Ava reached for the crying baby, who stood in a tattered dress, her fingers drenched in blood and its legs stained with blood.

Baekhyun watched in shock as Kai and Sehun stood up from their nap. Sehun, who’s skin was always milky white suddenly looked whiter than ever. Baekhyun noticed the black marks and spider like lines that crept up his neck. His eyes too were that disturbing dull color.

“Ghoul.” Baekhyun whispered. He watched silently as he tried to hold Ava back. “Possession.” He whispered.

He watched as Sehun walked towards the baby, Baekhyun then held onto Ava tighter because a life sized porcelain doll appeared behind the baby. It snapped its neck and laughed a cringe worthy crackle. It reached to pull Sehun’s neck; Baekhyun stumbled backward as his neck snapped back.

Sehun laid on the floor, his neck bent unnaturally, Baekhyun could see his bones poking out. The black scars grew and covered his body, and then he saw all the wound in his shoulder.

“The v-virus…” Baekhyun stammered. Someone in this room was infected all along.

Then he saw Kai, whose hair suddenly looked grey. His eyes were all white, his skin was paler than normal and he had fangs.

He laughed walked towards Sehun. Falling onto his knees, he grabbed Sehun’s lifeless body and sank his teeth into the boy’s neck just to be disappointed. Corpses don’t have blood.

“Annie…” Ava repeated. She reached for the small child.

Baekhyun shook her a few times. “Dammit, Ava stop…” He whispered. “What’s happening to you?” He asked.

 

Then Ava turned to face him. Baekhyun felt the cold breeze and shuddered. “A-Ava?”

He looked up, and stared into the mirror behind her just to see the grudge standing behind him.

 

This was all happening too fast; Ava and him were the only ones who weren’t infected with the virus. She as possessed, Baekhyun wondered where her body went…he wondered where the grudge took her soul, because the Ava he knew wasn’t here.

Baekhyun grabbed Ava’s jaw and slammed his lips against hers. The only thing that didn’t exist in this town was love, and if love disturbed all the dead spirits, he would do anything to get rid of the nightmare he lived even if it was for a moment.

 

He pulled away minutes later; Ava was in his arms with her eyes wide. “What happened?” She whispered.

Baekhyun stood up, he felt her warm hands touch his cheek. “What is this?” she asked as she traced the marks on his face.

“I don’t know what’s happening to me…but as of now…we’re the only ones virus free.” Baekhyun whispered.

“We?” Ava looked around her room. Sehun and Kai were nowhere to be found and Kris was missing still. “Where…?”

“Sehun and Kai got infected, Sehun turned into a corpse and Kai…into a vampire, they both got possessed and their soul got taken away…”

“By?”

Baekhyun shook his head. “I don’t know…and the only way to stop all of this is…well…us.”

“What?”

“Love isn’t supposed to exist here…” Baekhyun said. “It disturbs the spirits, I don’t know when we’re going to find a way out but until then, if something like that happens again…” He kissed her. “This…will take it away.”

Ava looked around speechlessly. “Let’s…Get out of here.” She whispered.

 

They left through the front door, but it was pitch black outside. “Where is this?”

Baekhyun held her hand tightly. “We…disrupted the demons…the …grudges, the dead spirits…” He whispered. “That kiss pissed them off…”

Ava stumbled back. She reached for the doorknob just to find out it had disappeared.

 

She turned around and gasped.

Baekhyun looked at her. “What’s wrong?” He asked, her face was contorted with fear. “Ava?”

Ava pointed to the grave in front of her.

 

WU YI FAN , KRIS

REST IN PEACE

1987

 

Then they heard a voice, one that was oh so familiar.

 

“It was annoying…I couldn’t move, breathe, speak or hear…and it was so dark all the time. If I knew I was going to be this lonely, I would have asked to be cremated instead.”