chapter three

Demons


I remembered Baekhyun running out of the house even before I did. My parents were startled since we came out in such a hurry. Not to mention we were holding hands as well. I pulled my hand away and put it behind my back as Baekhyun stood next to me. “Kids? What were you doing in there?”

I stared at my father. Did he not hear me scream? “Just exploring…I tripped over something and Baekhyun caught me.” I lied.

“That’s real sweet of you honey.” My mom smiled at Baekhyun. He stood next to me in silence.

“Mom, is it okay if I stay at Baekhyun’s today? My room’s not ready and I’d like to see Baekyeon, Baekhyun’s little sister.” I said.

Baekhyun looked at me and I shot him a glare that meant shut up and just go with it. Mom stood up and put her rake down. “That might be a good idea actually. Baekhyun, would you mind?”

My father continued raking the leaves. “Call his mother, I want Ada’s approval.” He said. Baekhyun’s mom’s name was Ada. Ada Lee Byun.

“Oh of course, I think we should drop by for dinner too.” She stood and had a quick conversation with Baekhyun’s mother. She smiled before hanging up. I was in.

 

 

“Ava, what the heck?” Baekhyun asked as we walked to his house. It was late at night, my parents drove to his house while we walked. It would’ve been an awkward car ride if we tagged along anyway.

“I’m sorry okay? I don’t know anyone here and you’re my only friend. I’m pretty sure Baekyeon wouldn’t mind.” I said.

“No, not that... I don’t care that you’re staying over. I wouldn’t spend a night in that house either. Why didn’t you mention the doll that fell? The creep realistic looking doll? And the actual baby by the staircase? The angel? You didn’t tell your parents about it…”

“They wouldn’t believe me! I know they won’t.” I said. “They know I like horror movies.”

“But you have me to back you up!” He said.

“Baekhyun, how ridiculous does this sound? Hey mom so Baekhyun and I were walking around the house and suddenly this doll fell out of nowhere and a shadow bruised him. Then after then we saw a bloody baby and a realistic looking angel. That sounds so stupid!”

He sighed and nodded. “Right.”

“Why’s all of this happening anyway?” I mumbled.

“Because your house is haunted and the demons know.”

“You shouldn’t believe everything you read on the internet.” I said.

Baekhyun scoffed. “Okay, but according to everyone in this neighborhood, one who falls in love with experience paranormal activities around them. On top of that, do you know where you’re living? The Wu’s Residence! A place that’s abandoned because the last family that lived there ing died!”

“I know but…try telling that to your mom. She’d laugh.”

He sighed. “I know…Whatever. You’re right.” Baekhyun paused before looking at me. “Who’s the guy you’re in love with? Kai?”

I shook my head. “I don’t even know him. I don’t like anyone.”

Baekhyun furrowed his brows. “Maybe not yet. It’s kinda creepy if you think about it, the demons know who’s going to fall in love.”

I chuckled and shook my head as I watched him dig through his pockets for his keys. “Seriously Baek, get off the internet.”

He smiled at me. “Baek…Huh, I like it. Too bad I can’t shorten your name; A.”

I laughed before going in. A? Huh, not bad.

 

 

It’s extremely peaceful in Baekhyun’s house surprisingly, he tells me Baekyeon runs around the house screaming during dinner time but since guests she doesn’t know are over, she’s obedient.

“You should come over more often.” Baekhyun said when were in his room. “I haven’t had this type of peace in years.” He laughed.

“As if I’d stay at my house willingly. “ I shuddered thinking about it. “It’s seriously creeping me out, I can’t even…how come my parents don’t notice anything?”

“Maybe they do and let it go because they think they’re going crazy or something. I’d be paranoid if I was forty and hearing things. Not. They probably think they’re just getting old.” Baekhyun laughed.

I nodded. “My dad’s like that. This is going to sound weird, but I feel safe in your house.”

“That’s because there aren’t any grudges or angel statues.” He said.

“Oh you never know what could happen.” I teased.

Baekhyun frowns.

I chuckled. “I’m kidding!”

“You can have my bed; I’ll sleep on the floor.” He patted his bed.

“You sure?”

“Hey, I know it’s been a long time but I still remember how delicate your body is. You get hurt easily, right?  There’s no way I’m letting you sleep on the floor.” He says.

“Gentleman much?” I say as I grab a pillow and hold onto it.

“Well, unless you want to share a bed with Baekyeon; which I also won’t allow because she kicks a lot. If you woke up with a broken back that’d be my fault.”

 

 

It’s been a while, a couple of years since Baekhyun and I hung out. I’m surprised; it wasn’t as awkward I had imagined it to be. I guess he’s just one of those people who you don’t see for a long time then hang out again like nothing happened. And I don’t mind that.

 

 

I fell asleep under the sheets, his blanket had his scent on it and it was…comforting. I felt safer than ever, you could only imagine what could’ve happened if I spent the night at my new house.

 

 

I woke up in the middle of the night when I heard something. It sounded like a whistle? Yes, a whistle, as if someone was laying next to me whistling in my ear.

I gasped; my hands went to touch the space next to me just to find it empty. Still, the whistling continued and I heard it clearly. Someone was whistling in my ear but there was no one else in bed but me.

My heart beat quickened out of fear, I gulped. “B-Baekhyun?” I whispered.