chapter twelve

Demons


Baekhyun felt shivers creep up his spine.

“It was annoying…I couldn’t move, breathe, speak or hear…and it was so dark all the time. If I knew I was going to be this lonely, I would have asked to be cremated again.”

He turned around to see Kris standing there. His skin was unnaturally pale and his silver hair showed how well he didn’t age, he didn’t look a day over eighteen and he was so pale, translucent almost.

Ava could see all the veins in his body, she squinted closer to see where they all came together; they connected at his heart that didn’t beat.

“No…way.” She whispered. Ava turned around and looked at the grave. “You died…You died…”

Kris walked closer. “You dare come into this town and love?” He scoffed. “Despicable.”

Ava reached for his grave and ripped the decaying casket open just to stumble back. There was no body, and a blank piece of paper.

Baekhyun grabbed her into his arms and pulled her close.

“That angel statue…explain.” He stammered.

“Ah? The angel statue?” Kris asked in a chilling voice. “It’s the statue of the spirit who died here… She was a widowed woman…whose baby died right after birth. Her husband left her so she killed herself. Her spirit lingers in this house and anyone who falls in love shall suffer. You must’ve met her before.”

Ava looked up at Baekhyun in horror, she felt something weird, a pair of cold hands held onto her waist and it wasn’t Baekhyun’s.

He looked down at her and gulped, breaking out into a cold sweat. “A-Ava…why are your…hands so cold?”

She shook her head. “It’s not me.” She whispered. “It’s not me.”

They pulled away slowly to see the grudge between them, she was faceless and her hair covered everything. Her white tattered shirt was bloody and her hands were ice cold. They reached for Ava and choked her neck.

Her crying was so scary; she screamed and mourned for her dead child. “Give me Annie.” She choked Ava and shook her around. “Give me my child.” Her voice was enough to wake and scar an entire village.

Baekhyun stood there in horror not knowing what to do. Then he heard something distinct in the distance. He heard a baby crying, it was disturbing and he couldn’t ignore it.

 

He stumbled back and covered his ears. At this point, he knew damn well that there were no more humans left besides Ava and him. He had to escape this neighborhood and he had to come out of it alive with Ava.

 

He reached for her and ignored the cold hands he felt snake up his arms. Baekhyun kissed her one more time, silencing the devils and all the spirits that lingered around them.

 

“Look into my eyes.” He whispered. “That’s where the demons hide.”

Ava did as she was told and to her horror, Baekhyun too had that same dull look.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes slowly turned all black as he held onto her tighter and tighter.

 

Ava ‘s arms shook as she let out a shriek.

 

***

“Ava! Ava! Goodness! Ava!”

Ava opened her eyes and jolted up.

“Ava get up…we’re here.”

She looked out the window to see her new house. “H-Here?”

Her father rolled his eyes. “Don’t play dumb now, we have a lot of packing to do.”

“What about Baekhyun?”

Her mother chuckled. “We can see him later, alright?”

“And Kai? And Sehun? And Kris? The virus?”

Her mother raised an eyebrow. “What are you…talking about? Who?”

“Was that all a dream?”

Her father furrowed his brows. “Dream? Oh you must’ve had a little nightmare back there.” He chuckled. “You fidgeted around the whole car ride…trust me honey, moving into a new town isn’t as bad as it seems.” He grabbed a box and left for the house.

Ava watched as her father stepped into the new house. “A dream?” She whispered. “No..dad…no…”

She stepped out of the car and jumped when she felt something brush against her leg. Looking down, she walked away quickly when she noticed that it was just a cat.

 

She gulped and stood in front of her new house, the neighborhood was awfully quiet and the silence was disturbing.

 

Ava walked into her new house and slowly peeked around. The angel statue was in its place and she stopped when she stepped on something. Looking down, it was a baby doll with one of its eye ripped out.

She jumped and gasped, clutching her heart. “This …again?” She whispered.

 

Ava walked into her new room and stared at the mirror, the only thing hanging on the wall. It looked a bit out of place as it was nicely polished, like someone just put it there.

Then she heard some creaking, turning around, Ava clutched her fists next to her as she noticed that the door closed silently.

She looked into the mirror again and saw Baekhyun standing behind her, tattered bloody clothing and all with his dark eyes that contrasted well against his pale skin.

 

She screamed.