chapter one

Demons


Baekhyun walked around his room rearranging things, it wasn’t easy having a bratty little sister who messed up your room every time she walked in. Being that he was eighteen and she was only five, it drove him nuts. What’s so interesting about his room anyway?

His mother walked in and chuckled, “Baekyeon came in didn’t she?”

Baekhyun sighed and nodded. “I locked my door too; I don’t know how she got in. Where’s that idiot at anyway?”

“Baek, be nice. She’s your little sister. Baekyeon is downstairs. Anyway listen, Ava moved here a couple hours ago. Why don’t you drop by and say hi?”

“Ava?” Baekhyun tilted his head like a confused puppy. “Who’s Ava?”

His mother shook her head and pointed to a picture hanging up on his wall. “She was in your 5th and 6th grade class remember? Which one is she…?” She ran her fingers along the rows of students standing. “Is this her?” She stopped at the skinny little girl standing in the second roll. Her brown hair was in two braids and she didn’t look happy.

Baekhyun squinted and looked. “Ah, Ava…I remember. She was actually one of my best friends back then.”

“Can you drop by and say hi? Maybe give her a little tour of the neighborhood? I told her mother you would.” She said.

“Mom! It’s going to be so awkward; it’s been how many years?” Baekhyun complained.

“Byun Baekhyun! You just moved here a month or so ago, you barely know this neighborhood and you only have five friends. Come on! Go explore, I want you kids to catch up too.” Her mother said. “Go before I make you bring Baekyeon.” She threatened.

Baekhyun grabbed his keys and his jacket. “You win.” He mumbled.

His mother smiled in satisfactory and typed her address into his phone. “It’s two blocks down and one to the right. Okay? Don’t get lost.”

 

 

Baekhyun walked down the block and stared at the number. It was chilly out during this hour and the sky was getting a bit dark. “Why at this hour?” Baekhyun grumbled.

He stared at the address and wondered why it seemed so familiar. Baekhyun’s heart stopped when he got to the front of the house. He gulped and stepped back. Just like it looked on the internet; it looked surreal and even spookier in person. “The Wu residence?” Baekhyun whispered out of fear. “She’s seriously living here?”

Baekhyun stood and tried to bargain his way out of this. “Maybe mom’s joking. Is this her way of getting back at me for leaving Baekyeon outside last week?” He scratched his head and tapped his foot. “If Ava was really living here she’d at least text me.” He said to himself.

Then he looked over, a car was parked in the garage. It seemed kinda odd, although Baekhyun just moved into his neighborhood a few weeks ago, the car didn’t seem like it belonged here.

The Wu family’s house was that one house that’s always been isolated. Baekhyun stood there and debated on knocking on the door. He stared at the freshly painted mailbox. “Kim Residence.” He read. It didn’t seem right. For the longest time, this house has always been abandoned and the paint on the mailbox was wearing off day by day.

He opened the gate then walked onto the porch, the lights were on and there was a doorbell. “Maybe she did move here…” His fingers hovered over the doorbell.

Baekhyun stepped back when he rang it. He was getting a bit antsy.

A middle aged man opened the door. He looked awfully familiar. “Baekhyun?” He said.

A woman then walked out as well. “Baekhyunnie! We were expecting you! Are you here to take Ava out?” She asked.

Baekhyun stood there in silence as the man turned to the woman. “Excuse me?”

“His mother said he’d take her out around the neighborhood. It’ll be great for the kids honey, don’t freak. Baekhyun’s a good boy.”

 

 

Ava jumped as the doorbell rang. Everything fell right into place; the sight of the angel was just the beginning. What was it doing there? She remembered walking around the house a couple hours ago, the place was empty and her parents never had a statue like that.

The sound of the doorbell ringing startled her and the way the floors upstairs creaked when her parents were outside didn’t help at all.  

“Ava!” Her mother said. “Come here! Put your shoes on!”

 

 

Baekhyun waited as Ava came out. She was wearing a floral dress that came up to half of her thighs, a little white jacket and black Dr.Martens. Her hair was down her back in waves and she still had the same old poker face.

She stood there by the door and stared at him. There was an uncomfortable silence as her parents watched the two take in each other’s appearance.

 

 

Ava looked at Baekhyun. Was this really the same scrawny idiot from elementary and intermediate school? He’s gotten a lot taller, his shoulders were broad and his messy brown hair was blown into the right style.

 

 

Baekhyun stared at Ava. Beautiful. That’s all he could think of. She was quite tall but had a small frame. Once his eyes landed on her, he had developed a sense of protecting her. He didn’t know why.

 

 

Ava tugged on her dress, she turned around. “Bye mom.” She whispered.

 

 

She walked towards Baekhyun and tilted her head as a signal for him to lead the way.

 

 

 

When her house was out of sight, Baekhyun finally spoke up. “Wow, you actually wanted to come with me.” He chuckled.

“I just wanted to get out of there. It’s such a weird place.” She mumbled. “And what’s the Wu Residence?” She asked.

“How do you know about the Wu Residence?” Baekhyun asked. “It’s the place you moved into. But who told you it was the Wu Residence?”

“I don’t know him, but he was walking down the street and we just kinda talked. His name is Kai?”

“Ah, Jongin!” Baekhyun grinned. “He’s real cool. Jongin’s his real name.”

“So what’s the Wu Residence?” Ava asked.

“Kai told me two weeks ago about it but I’m not sure if it’s true or not.” Baekhyun walked with his hands in his pocket. The night’s cold air didn’t seem to bother Ava.

“Tell me.”

“That house has always been abandoned for a long time. People started to call it the Wu Family’s residence because the last family that lived there was them and they disappeared. Apparently, that house was like cursed or something because someone fell in love?

 I heard no one has ever fallen in love in this town. It’s either you come into this neighborhood already in a relationship, single or divorced. They say whoever falls in love here …they won’t have a happy ending. But in the 1980s, a girl fell in love in that house with the boy living there and there have been mishaps ever since.

This one night the boy was driving home from work when his best friend (the girl) who was babysitting his little sister called him and asked about a really realistic looking angel statue. He told her to get his sister and get out of there because they never had an angel statue.

 He rushed home and pulled into the driveway. The baby monitor in his car picked up some sounds from his sister’s room. He assumed that the girl left and the baby was still there. The girl was never found again, her body appeared in a lake hundreds of miles away from the home. Then the guy heard his mother singing the crying baby to sleep and the sounds of his mother singing from the baby monitor calmed him down but then his mother pulled into the driveway just when the singing stopped.

After that…the family just disappeared. Everything disappeared but the statue.” Baekhyun explained.

“Weeks after, the families bodies’ were found in a lake in the town that never existed. After their body was found, the lake just…disappeared.”   

Ava stared into space as he told the story. She didn’t know if she should believe him or not.

His hands grabbed her wrist; it snapped her back to reality. The feeling of his skin on hers sent chills up her back. Ava stopped and looked at him. “Huh?”

“Were you even listening? You almost walked into a pole!” Baekhyun said.

“Baekhyun…” Ava whispered.

Baekhyun turned to her. “Hm?”

“I’ve seen the angel statue.” 


 Comment! Did you like Chapter One?