008

Disconnect

He ordered two pumpkin-cinnamon lattes, perfect for the warm, yet still somewhat chilly, weather. He whistled as he waited for the drinks to be ready. His heart was still racing from seeing her. He couldn't believe he'd been so stupid, so obviously worried, in front of her before.

Chanyeol sighed, and picked up the cups once they were ready. He made sure to paste a smile onto his face before walking into her line of sight. She was staring at the books he'd picked (purposely, just to see if she'd ask), but as he expected, didn't comment or question him about it. He wasn't sure whether to feel disappointed or relieved.

He made small talk, and then they went separately to find some books to read. Chanyeol picked a few novels, not really caring, and sat back down, where he found So Eun already buried in a book. Good. He secretly studied her as she read, sure that she was too absorbed in her book to notice him.

Chanyeol had never stopped cursing the fact that he couldn't get over her. She was pretty, kind, sweet, accepting, smart--everything he could have asked for. But of course, he'd known that her parents would never have approved. Chanyeol had not been surprised to hear from her father when he did.

After spending a couple more hours of quality reading time, Chanyeol decided to break it by suggesting they go bowling, and then to dinner. He hoped that he appeared just friendly, but he couldn't help but think of it as yet another date that they'd never had. But either way, So Eun was married now. He had to keep reminding himself that.

After dinner, Chanyeol suddenly had the urge: "You want to get a couple of drinks?" he asked suddenly.

So Eun stared at him incredulously. "Right now? Are you sure that's a good idea?"

Chanyeol sighed. "Yeah, I kinda have to get some things out of my system."

"Alright, then. But I'm not drinking."

"That's fine. As long as you're there."

Arriving at a nearby club, Chanyeol found two empty seats, holding onto So Eun all the way. So Eun, as she'd said, only drank water. Chanyeol downed a couple of beers, still completely sober, then told So Eun that he would be heading to the washroom. "I'll be back in a few minutes," he promised her. "Stay here."

True to his word, he returned in a few minutes. But a stranger had plopped down where he sat, and was chattering away to So Eun. To her credit, she looked uninterested in any respect, and Chanyeol gritted his teeth, marching over. "Excuse me," he said. "I believe you've taken my seat." He wrapped an arm around So Eun for emphasis.

"Oh, sorry, man. I'll get going then. Have fun, you two," the guy said, and winked.

Chanyeol felt So Eun shiver, and his arm tightened around her protectively. "All right," Chanyeol decided. "It's probably best if we go now."

"Yeah," she agreed immediately, and sent a pang of guilt through Chanyeol. He'd been the one who'd suggested they come here in the first place.

But when they got to his car, So Eun's steps were getting unsteady. "My head's spinning," she complained with an obvious slur. "Chanyeol--" She went limp, and Chanyeol managed to catch her before she hit the ground.

So Eun was unconscious. That damn guy, Chanyeol thought. What had he done to her?

Chanyeol gently lowered her into the passenger seat and put on her seat belt. Then he took her purse, feeling slightly uncomfortable, and rummaged through it until he found what he was looking for: her phone. Please let it be saved on here, he thought. He's her husband, after all. She should at least have his number.

And he found it. Kim Jongin. With a sigh of relief, Chanyeol pressed to call So Eun's husband.

"Jung So Eun?" Jongin said, voice incredulous. Chanyeol couldn't help feeling a surge of annoyance. Was this how he addressed his own wife?

"Actually, this is So Eun's friend," Chanyeol replied, getting into the driver's seat and shutting the door. "We have a problem."

"A problem?" Jongin casually repeated. His attitude was really starting to annoy Chanyeol.

"Yes, So Eun's not okay. I need to know where your house is, so I can drive her home."

Jongin prompty gave Chanyeol the address, then hung up. Chanyeol drove, speeding, gripping the steering wheel so hard he was afraid it might break. But finally he arrived. He peered out right in front of him and had to admit, it was a nice house. Enormous, but grand-looking.

Chanyeol exited the car, then went around to the passengers' side. He opened the door, scooped So Eun out as gently as he could, and kicked the door shut. Once he reached the front door, he set her on her feet and held her up with his arm, then rang the doorbell. The moment the door swung open, Chanyeol picked her up again and entered.

The interior of the house was even nicer than he'd expected. Of course, that was ruined by the sight of Jongin standing right in front of him, frowning. Jongin looked at Chanyeol, then to his unconscious wife, then back at Chanyeol. He turned without a word and walked away. "Put her down here, in the living room," Jongin said, all command. It was obvious that the guy was used to being listened to.

Nonetheless, Chanyeol did as he said, and put So Eun down on the couch. Once done, Jongin fired at him, "Would you care to explain to me why my wife is unconscious? Or why you are the one to bring her home? Or who you are, for that matter?" He gave a wry grin. "I don't normally let strangers into my house, you know."

"I would be concerned if you did," Chanyeol replied, straightening up. He got a strange sense of satisfaction, seeing that he was taller than Jongin. "Either way, I'm So Eun's friend. We were hanging out today. We happened to stop by a club, I went to the washroom for a few minutes, and when I got out, some guy was talking to her. Once I came back, the guy left, and I told her we should go. And then..." He gestured vaguely at So Eun, "this happened."

Jongin seemed annoyed. "All right then. Thanks for bringing her home." He glanced at the door. "I appreciate it and everything, you know, but it's late now. You should go."

Chanyeol huffed. He knew a dismissal when he heard one. What was he, just Jongin's servant. But he said, "Fine. If anything happens, you had better call me. I think I should be number 1 on her speed dial," he couldn't help adding.

Jongin's eyes narrowed, and he glared at Chanyeol. "Great. Thanks. Now leave."

Chanyeol gave So Eun one last glance and left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jongin sighed of relief the moment the door closed. He didn't trust guys who brought girls home unconscious. Not if it was his home, and he didn't know the guy. Even more so if the girl in question was his wife. And especially not if he had no idea where they'd been, what they'd done.

He went to the couch and lifted her, bridal style, with more gentleness than even he thought he was capable of. After a moment of hesitation, he went upstairs to her room. Their room, by all means, as she had pointed out, but he didn't sleep there. It wasn't his room.

Jongin set her down on the bed, and smoothed her hair back. He didn't know what it was about her, but whenever he looked at her he felt an urge to protect her. This was new. He'd dated before, yes; but he'd never been quite serious with any of them. With So Eun, though...

If he was honest with himself, he was scared. Scared of this strange feeling, this protectiveness. So he constantly tried to push her away, to ignore her. He made up excuses, like what he'd told her over and over: looking at her made him uncomfortable, she reminded him of his lack of control. This was true, yes, but it wasn't the real reason why. He was just scared of what might happen if he didn't distance himself.

Jongin looked down at So Eun and couldn't help smiling. She looked like she was sleeping, and her face was smooth, with a tiny smile on her face. It made her look so young, and Jongin just wanted to hug her--

He shook his head. This wasn't good. He sat on the other side of the bed, watching over her. All at once, his worries came back. This friend of hers--Jongin should have asked for his name at least, he realized--was he telling the truth? So Eun didn't smell like alcohol, so it was obvious she wasn't drunk. But had some other guy really done this, or had her friend done it, and then...?

Jongin resolved to ask her about it in the morning, when she woke up, and make sure she was okay. He leaned down so that his face was inches from hers. After a moment, he kissed her forehead, something he'd been secretly wanting to do, but restrained himself for multiple reasons. Then he closed his eyes, and waited to fall asleep beside her.