010

Disconnect

To be honest, Jongin wasn't sure why he said that.

Or why he was taking So Eun along with him, for that matter.

He hadn't planned to have it turn out this way. Jongin usually went to the mountain to hike once a week, both to keep his body fit and to relieve stress. Bringing So Eun along had been a spur-of-the-moment decision, one that he hope he would not come to regret. Hiking was one of the things he deeply enjoyed, and he could only hope that So Eun wouldn't ruin that. Not that he was expecting her to.

But as he said the words, he saw her blush and smile from the corner of his eye, and he smiled as well. Going so fast on the highway like this, with the wind teasing his face and hair, it was easy to feel like nothing could possibly go wrong in the world, to let go of any worries he could have. But he knew the moment wouldn't last. Even so, he let himself enjoy the ride anyway.

Jongin tried to make conversation with So Eun, but the wind made it impossible. So eventually, they both sat in companionable silence as Jongin sped toward the mountain. They soon approached, and Jongin took the appropriate exit on the highway. He parked his car in the parking lot and looked over at So Eun. Too late, he realized, "I should have told you to bring a light jacket. It can get cold higher up in the mountain."

"It's okay," she said, all smiles. "I don't get cold that easily."

Even so, Jongin got out and rummaged in the back of the car for an extra jacket. "Aha," he said, raising up a pale orange sweater. "It'll most likely be big on you--" he looked at her again, "--no, definitely big, but it'll keep you warm." Jongin also grabbed the backpack he always kept in his car for hiking, filled with water bottles, granola bars, and a compass. "I'll put it in here, so just tell me if you get cold."

So Eun nodded, looking up at him. Jongin led the way to the trail, and she followed close behind; so close, in fact, he could smell the fresh smell of her shampoo--something sweet, like vanilla. Or maybe it was perfume? Either way, it smelled good. Glancing at her in the corner of his eye, he couldn't read her expression, but one thing was for sure: something was coming over him. The surge of protectiveness had come back, and with her so close, Jongin realized how small she really was. He wanted to wrap his arms around her and hold her tight.

On that thought, he realized with amusement, she probably still thinks I broke up with some girlfriend because of this unplanned marriage. It was probably mean of him to not correct her thinking, but the time never seemed right. What could he possibly say? "Oh, by the way, you didn't break up some relationship I had with a girl; dont worry"? That didn't seem to cut it. And either way, it was rather cute to see her jealous; she had that way of creasing her eyebrows and biting her lower lip when the topic came up...

The truth was, So Eun had listened in on a conversation with his mother. She'd never approved of this marriage, and like Jongin himself, had had no say. Jongin's father had been the one to make the arrangements, and his mother, realizing she couldn't convince her husband, had finally consented to it. That night, she'd admitted to Jongin that she was going to get a divorce, and that she'd move out of the country. She'd said that Jongin was grown now, and now had his own family to take care of, so she would go away and not bother them. Jongin had told her no, and that he still loved her--which happened to be the part So Eun had misunderstood--and that she was his mother and would always be welcome in his home--which So Eun had not heard, apparently.

Jongin decided that he would set the record straight soon enough--once the time came. Maybe once they reached the top...

"Do you go hiking often?" So Eun's voice interrupted his thoughts.

"What? Oh...yes. I go here about once a week. I find that it calms my mind, and relieves stress."

"Ah," was all she said.

Why? Did she not like hiking? On second thought...she didn't have asthma, did she?

But "You're like my older brother that way," was all she said, then looked like she'd said something she shouldn't have.

After processing that, Jongin realized, "I wasn't aware you had a brother."

So Eun looked about to slap herself, and Jongin immediately felt sorry for ever saying that. "I...don't," she admitted. "Not officially."

Not officially? It took a moment for Jongin to understand what she was saying. "Ahh," he said, awkwardly. "Sorry."

"It's not your fault," she said, then shrugged, and they lapsed back into an awkward silence.

After quietly walking together, she finally opened up. "My brother's name is Daehyun. If he was a part of our official family, he'd be second oldest, after Hana. Even though he was never recognized as my father's son, he and his mother lived with us." She paused, as if lost in thought. "They never ate dinner with us, only after we'd finished. But sometimes I would sneak down and sit with them.

"Daehyun is an amazing brother. Being five years older, he doted on me as far back as I can remember. He was always the first one there when I fell and cried, there to play with me, help me with homework..." She looked at the ground. "He was always there to support me, even though I could never hope to do the same for him."

So Eun sighed, and Jongin's heart went out for her and her brother. "Anyway, that's not the point. The point is, he loves hiking, says it relieves stress. I never believed him, but he took me a few times, and I have to admit...it really is good." She frowned. "But I get really sweaty and nasty. Hope you don't mind," she said, then smirked at Jongin.

He simply raised his eyebrows in response, resisting his urge to reach out and pinch her cheeks. "Come on," he said. "Let's try to get there before noon, when the sun is all the way up. No matter how cold it gets on the mountain, it's still summer."

She nodded in agreement, and together, they hike companionably up the mountain.

About three-fourths of the way up, Jongin decided to stop by the rest stop, seeing how So Eun, true to her word, was sweaty and looking exhausted. Jongin didn't mind, though--if anything, it made his like her even more. She was honest and blunt, didn't try to hide anything.

Jongin pointed So Eun toward a few chairs set up, and went to get food. He found two cups of the ramen he usually ate here, and prepared them. Once the ramen was done, he carefully balanced the two cups in his hands, careful not to drop or spill anything. As Jongin approached So Eun, he saw that she was staring at the ground, kicking her legs. He felt the ridiculous urge to smile, and mentally slapped himself. Looking like a creep while offering her food was probably not in his best interest.

"Here," he said, and handed her the cup along with a pair of chopsticks.

She looked up, then at the food, and accepted it with a smile. "Thank you," So Eun said, sounding truly surprised and happy.

"No problem. I figured it was about lunchtime anyway, and plus, we've been working hard all this time," Jongin replied, eating his noodles. "We should reach the top in the next hour or so, if we keep going at the same pace we have been."

So Eun nodded, and ate. Jongin was happy that she was happy, and because she actually seemed to be enjoying herself as well as he. They'd made small talk along the way, and it felt as though the wall between them was slowly disappearing.

After sitting for a bit after eating, they set out again. True to Jongin's word, they indeed reached their destination in about an hour. Jongin found a big shady spot to avoid the sun, and sat down. He closed his eyes, breathing in the fresh, cool mountain air. He heard So Eun sit down next to him, heaving a small sigh as she did. Jongin cracked open one eye and glanced at her; like him, she also had her eyes closed and was leaning against the tree.

"It's nice, isn't it?" Jongin asked, looking in his bag for the water bottles. He took one, and handed the other to her.

So Eun took it and nodded her thanks, taking a long gulp. "Yeah. I like that the air is so nice here, unlike back inthe city."

"Yeah." Jongin tried to find a way to tell her the truth, to clear up the misunderstanding between them, and to tell her how he really felt. But he saw no possibility of doing so smoothly.

Fortunately for him, she seemed to be thinking the same thing. "So..." she started, and Jongin waited patiently. "This...person that you lost? Um...how was she?"

Jongin couldn't help himself; he laughed. "Ah, Jung So Eun, finally you ask."

She blinked at him in surprise. "What?"

He smiled at her. "It seems we have a misunderstanding to clear up. I admit it's partially my fault for not telling you, but..." He shrugged. "The topic never came up. Anyway, that night...the person you overheard me talking to was my mother."

 

A/N: And it comes out! XD

I must ask, though, is it bothersome that I switch POV? I needed to let you all as the readers know what was going on, and I felt that the best way to do so was to tell it in Jongin's POV...plus, I have fun writing it as Jongin, hahah

Anyway, comment your thoughts, opinions, etc etc. please ♥