014

Disconnect

I woke to find my arm slung around something--a pillow, probably. Half asleep, I buried my face in the thing and tried to fall back asleep, but then the thing moved.

Then it hit me, what that thing was that I was hugging, and I immediately opened my eyes and sat up, looking back down at a sleeping Jongin, who was stirring. My face burned as I realized I'd been burying my face in his chest. Jongin sleepily opened his eyes and looked at me. "Don't sit up like that," he grumbled. "You're pulling the blanket with you. I'm cold."

"Sorry," I said, getting out of bed, not looking at him. "Go back to sleep."

"You should too," Jongin replied as his eyes shut once again.

Sighing, I headed upstairs to my room, where my phone rang the moment I stepped into the room. "Hello?" I answered without looking at who'd called.

"So Eun!" a familiar voiced cried on the other side. My brother, Daehyun.

"Oppa!"

"Hey, what's your address? You get married and I don't even get to see you," Daehyun complained.

"Oh!" I cried, quickly giving him the address.

"Alright, see you in a few. Turns out it's only a few blocks from where I am now."

I quickly brushed my hair and tied it back, then wandered back down to wake Jongin. It wouldn't do to have him asleep while my older brother met him for the first time. But as it turned out, he was already awake.

"Hey," he greeted me, smiling as I walked in. "Did you sleep alright?"

"Yeah, I did." The bell rang, and I ran to get the door without saying another word to Jongin; I hadn't seen Daehyun in a while.

Daehyun stood on the porch, holding a bouquet of flowers and smiling. "Oppa!" I cried, hugging and half-dragging him into the house.

He frowned as he looked around him. "You wretched child, you. You get married, you're living in this giant house with just the two of you, and you don't even bother to invite me over?"

A throat cleared behind us, and I let Daehyun go. Jongin. I was so happy to see Daehyun, I'd forgotten that I was talking to him. "Who are you, and why are you yelling at my wife?" Jongin asked calmly, one eyebrow raised.

"Aha," Daehyun declared, sticking out his hand. "You must be Jongin. I'm Daehyun, So Eun's brother."

Jongin seemed to relax and he smiled, shaking Daehyun's hand. "Pleasure to meet you."

"I hope you're taking good care of my sister here," Daehyun replied, narrowing his eyes.

"Oh, stop it," I said, lightly smacking his arm. "Come on, have you eaten? Let's eat breakfast."

Daehyun grinned at me, trailing behind Jongin and me to the kitchen. "Nope. You two had better have a good breakfast, or you're dead."

He supervised as Jongin and I nervously prepared a meal for the three of us. Once we were done, Daehyun nodded in approval. "Good, good. You two actually seem like a couple, cooking together and all."

Jongin raised an eyebrow and cleared his throat as I blushed. "Oppa!"

Daehyun simply grinned in response as he stuffed his mouth with food. "I am your elder, So Eun. Respect me."

I rolled my eyes, and began to eat. Daehyun spent another hour or so there, as if to make sure Jongin and I were really okay together. I understood his concern; the situations with Hana and Eunji hadn't proved exactly reassuring. Before he left, though, Daehyun pulled me into a hug and whispered fiercely into my ear, "Look, if anything happens, anything at all, call me, alright? I won't let anyone hurt my baby sister."

I blinked back tears, suddenly touched. "I know. Alright. Thanks, oppa. You take care, too."

Daehyun also hugged Jongin, mumbling something too low for me to hear, but sounded suspiciously like a warning. Then with a wave, Daehyun left.

"You two seem close," Jongin commented quietly, probably unsure of how I would react to this topic.

"Yeah, we are," I replied.

"What do you say we--" he started, but I never got to hear what he was about to suggest as his phone rang. "Sorry, hold on," he told me, picking up the phone. "Hello?...Who is this?...Yoojin? But how...No, I don't have time right now...No...What? Who? Alright, fine, I'll meet you there in about twenty minutes."

I stiffened up so much throughout the whole conversation that I thought I would snap. "Yoojin?" I repeated as Jongin put the phone down, face pale.

"Yeah. Sorry. I tried to hang up, but...look, I really have to go now, okay? I promise I'll explain everything once I get back. This shouldn't take too long." Jongin tried to smile at me, but it didn't reach his eyes.

Reaching past me to put on his jacket, he awkwardly patted my shoulder before leaving.

Blinking back the tears that threatened to spill, I called the only number I could think of, fingers numb as I punched in the digits from memory.

"Hello? So Eun?"

"Are you free right now?"

"Yeah, of course. Look, So Eun, are you okay?"

"No," I answered honestly. "Can you meet me by the cafe?"

"Of course. I'll be there in five minutes."

"Thanks. You're the best, Chanyeol oppa."

 

A/N: Wow, I'm so sorry for not updating in so long. I've been so busy with school and studying and practice, ugh...but anyway, I'm on spring break now, so I get to rest for a bit! ^^

Also, thank you so much for your kind comments. They completely made my day, and I can't express in words how much it means to me that you all enjoy this story as much as I do. Thank you so much for loving and supporting this story so far~ ♥