020 - Epilogue

Disconnect

"Kim Haneul, come back here right this instant!" I shouted, frustrated.

The little girl, frowning, ran back beside me. "Aigoo, Haneul, you know this is a wedding," Jongin squatted down in front of her and said. "You have to behave. Listen to your parents, yeah?"

"Oh! So Eun!" a voice called, and I looked up to see the groom. I smiled.

"Chanyeol!" I replied, making my way over after making sure Jongin would keep an eye on Haneul. "So it's your big day," I said once I was in front of him, reminded of just over three years ago, of my own wedding. "How do you feel?"

He laughed. "I was nervous. But not so much anymore, now that the official part is over. Now I just have fun and try to enjoy myself."

"Eyy, please. As if you won't have fun tonight," I said, winking at him. Chanyeol's ears turned red, and I laughed. "Anyway, where's Yoojin?"

With his height, he was able to see over the majority of guests. He gestured to where a flock of women stood. "Over there."

"Alright, then. I should go greet the bride. Have fun, Chanyeol! Congratulations." Chanyeol patted my shoulder and headed to where someone else called him. I found my way to Yoojin.

Chanyeol and Yoojin had gotten along much better, and Yoojin seemed to have come to her senses; she and Jongin were still friends, somewhat, but she kept a respectable distance. Especially now that Jongin was a father. She eventually became one of my closest friends, after getting to know her better. Despite her actions, she was nice and generally a good person. "Yoojin!" I called.

"So Eun!" she greeted me warmly. "Where are Haneul and Jongin?"

I sighed. "Haneul kept wandering around, and I don't trust her to not play with the decor. So Jongin's keeping an eye on her--oh, there they are," I said as I spotted Jongin walking toward us, Haneul in his arms.

"Hey, Jongin," she greeted once he came. "Ah, Haneul, look how pretty you are today!" Haneul blushed and buried her face in her father's chest; we all laughed. Although she was curious and didn't like to listen, she was still shy.

Jongin let her on the ground and held her hand. He gave me a smile, and congratulated Yoojin on her marriage. I checked my watch--10:00 at night. No wonder Haneul was looking so tired. I mentioned this to Jongin once Yoojin had moved on to conversing with other guests. "We should probably head on home. We have to get Haneul cleaned up and ready for bed, too." After saying goodbye to Yoojin and Chanyeol, we did just that.

After I had given Haneul a bath and put her to bed in her room next to ours, I joined Jongin in our room. I climbed into bed, tired but happy. Jongin and I lay face to face, and he said quietly, "I got a message from Yifan."

"When?" I asked, not wanting to remember all the horrible things associated with that name.

"This morning. I didn't mention it, because we were busy. But I thought I should let you know. It's nothing bad, though. He just said that he's getting married, and we're welcome to come to his wedding if we wish. Although," he said, making a face, "it's in China. It would kind of be a pain to bring Haneul all the way there..." He shook his head. "It's up to you, though."

I turned so that I lay on my back. "I don't know, Jongin. I don't hate him, but I don't like him, either. Definitely not enough to go to his wedding. I mean, I know you two were friends at some point, so you might want to go, but..."

"It was a long time ago. I guess I never hated him either, but after what he did, taking you...I guess I can't bring myself to forgive him, either. It's just, it feels wrong that he even sent us an invitation, and this is how we feel."

I sighed. "I know. But we could send a gift or something like that."

"That sounds good." He wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me toward him. I let him, and he whispered in my ear, "Are you tired?"

I laughed. "I kind of am. I'm surprised you aren't, running after Haneul all day. She's our daughter, and I love her to death, but she just doesn't listen."

Jongin chuckled. "Well, she's only two. Isn't that normally the age where children act up?"

"I'm pretty sure those are the teenager years, jagi. In which children like to think that being rebels is a good thing."

"Maybe that's a different stage."

I turned in his arms so that I faced him again, and stared into his eyes. Maybe they were common to other people, just the normal dark color that most Asians' eyes were. But to me, they were beautiful, because they belonged to Kim Jongin, because they were part of a human being that was far from ordinary. I smiled. "Good night, oppa," I said, going through with what had become our nightly routine.

Jongin smiled and pecked my lips. "Good night, yeobo."

I closed my eyes and fell asleep in my husband's arms to the sound of his breathing. And as I slipped into that peaceful darkness called sleep, I dreamt of my family, of my husband and my daughter.

 

 

A/N: First of all, I would like to thank all of my lovely subscribers who read and enjoyed this story. You all gave me the encouragement and motivation needed to write this story, and I love each and every one of you.

Also, I know that I may have ended the story rather abruptly....sorry! But I hope you enjoyed