013

Disconnect

Jongin practically dragged me into the car, I was so frozen with shock.

The scene replayed itself over and over in my head. Yoojin, with Chanyeol. Then, Yoojin kissing Jongin. What was going on?

"Jongin," I said abruptly, though of course I knew that I had no right to pry. "What was that?"

Jongin tried and failed to feign innocence. "What do you mean?"

I simply looked at him. "Yoojin. Ring a bell?"

"Ah, Yoojin," he said, fidgeting beside me in the car. "She's ah...we..ah...we were together a while back. But it was a long time ago. I don't know what the kiss was about."

"Mmm." Well, that explained why they knew each other, and why Jongin seemed to be so awkward with her.

"I'm serious," he repeated, as if trying to reassure me of something. "I don't know why she did that."

"Relax, Jongin. I'm not saying anything."

Jongin snorted and put his hands on my shoulders, turning me so that I faced him. "Really, now. Your face says otherwise."

I rolled my eyes. "Not everything is about you, Jongin."

I immediately regretted my words. His face hardened back into the cold mask that I had seen for most of our time together, and he released me, turning away. "I'm aware of that. I apologize for giving you the impression that I believed the world revolved around me."

"No, Jongin, I didn't mean--"

"You don't have to explain yourself. Neither do I. In case you've forgotten, we're strangers," he practically snarled, mocking my words from the past.

My heart sank. After finally starting to grow closer, we were back where we'd started. Was there even any hope for us? I made several more attempts to talk to him, to try to apologize, but he refused to listen to me. And so I sat, staring out the window as cars and trees whizzed past and rain began to fall.

Back home, Jongin headed straight to his room, without a word. After changing into a pair of black shorts and a blue t-shirt, I knocked on his closed door. There was no answer. After a moment, I knocked again. He sighed, obviously annoyed. "If I don't answer, either barge in or go away."

I opened the door enough to stick my head in. Jongin had changed as well, into a black shirt and shorts, and was lying on his bed. "Usually, when people don't answer, it means 'go away,'" I said, walking in and closing the door behind me. "You're an odd one."

"What do you want?" Jongin asked, staring at the ceiling.

"I wanted to apologize."

He gave no indication that he'd heard me.

"Look, I'm really sorry for saying that. You have to know that I didn't mean it that way."

Jongin finally looked at me, and sat up. Hesitantly, I sat next to him. To my surprise, I saw that his eyes were suspiciously moist. "Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine," he said, though his voice was gruff.

"Oppa, look at me," I said, because he was avoiding me. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," he lied.

Well, if he didn't want to talk about it, I wouldn't push him. So instead, I took his hand and studied it. He had strong, sturdy hands, yet surprisingly soft. Like the rest of him, they were beautiful. After a moment of quietness, he said softly, "I've been called selfish and arrogant my whole life."

Maybe that was because he acted like it, I thought, thinking back to our first meeting. I'd thought he was a rude, arrogant man. But I said nothing.

"But that's because I don't allow myself to grow close to anyone. Nobody understands me. And the reason for that...whenever I grow close to anyone, I lose them. Like my friends, my ex-girlfriends, and now my mother, as well."

Jongin was crying openly now, and I held his hand. "It's my father. He has certain...standards. Nobody was good enough for me, apparently. He expects so much of me, and that pressure gets to me. I snap at everyone and everything; and then we grow further and further apart. And the last time I talked to my mother...she said she was leaving. Because she was tired of my father and all his demands. Tired of me, even, because I listened to him and took his views. Said she was tired of all of us and our selfish motives."

I quietly took this in, as Jongin calmed himself. "I believe you're the only person who saw me for who I am. Usually when people are nice to me, it's because they're obligated to, or because they want something from me. With you, though, it's different. You don't try to up to me because I have money, you're not trying to gain power or whatever. And I like that about you; you're genuine. And then when even you called me self-centered...I didn't know what to think."

"I was overwhelmed by emotion," I said. "Don't pay attention to every little thing I say."

Jongin looked at me, and took both of my hands in his, staring at them. "But that's the thing," he said softly. "I do. You know why?"

I shook my head silently.

"Because I like you," he said. "At first I denied it, saying there was no way. But then, I realized that there was no denying it. I like you, and everything about you. Your personality, the way you're so compassionate. You smile, when you talk of something you really love. Your courage, when you stand up for what you think is right. You don't let anyone bully you. You're beautiful, inside and out, and I like you, Jung So Eun." Jongin looked at the ground. "Though it's kind of late for this now, isn't it," he muttered. "When we're already married and everything."

"Not at all," I replied, still shocked.

Jongin smiled, then said, "All right, I think we can call it a day. A lot has happened."

"Yeah," I agreed, standing up. "Good night, oppa."

Jongin stood up as well, and I looked up at him. "Do you want to sleep here?"

Seeing my face, he hurried to add, "No, no, I mean, just sleep. You know...beside me."

Goodness, was Jongin blushing? I laughed. "Okay, fine. But if you plan to try anything, I'll have you know I have taken self-defense lessons."

He grinned. "No worries, my lady. Nothing shall happen."

I walked to the bed, and slipped under the covers, on the other side of where he'd lain before. Jongin turned off the light, and a few moments later, I felt him climb onto the bed as well, and settle in. In the darkness, I asked, "Oppa?"

"Hmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Is this about Yoojin?"

"...Yes."

Jongin sighed, then turned so that he was facing me. I stared directly into his eyes. "What?"

"Who is she? I know you two dated, but...why would she kiss you when..." When she already had Chanyeol?

"I already told you that I don't know why. But anyway, she's Lee Yoojin, daughter of one of the most powerful company owners in Korea." He yawned. "Sorry. I hear she's taken, anyway, so unless she wanted to prove a point to someone...I don't know. Anyway, that's it. Good night, So Eun."

"Good night, Jongin oppa."

Within minutes, he breathing slowed and steadied, and he snored slightly. I, on the other hand, was too overwhelmed to sleep. The whole dinner/party was hectic. Chanyeol. Yoojin. Jongin. There were confusing connections everywhere.

And then, what Jongin had said just now.

Looking over, a sleeping Jongin was the picture of innocence and peace. I thought about how kind and vulnerable he truly was, underneath the layers and layers of shields and masks that he put on. I could see the truth: he was lonely, and sad. And I thought of how hard it must be to push everyone away, because he was always on edge, unsure if he was being used.

It was so different from who he really was: a beautiful, kind-hearted man who simply wanted someone to appreciate him for who he was.

I like you too, Jongin, I thought as I finally fell asleep to dreams of Jongin, along with the haunting face of Chanyeol.

 

A/N: Oh dear me, I'm sorry about how poorly written this was ugh