007

Disconnect

I decided to go out and find a movie to watch. I changed into a creamy-pink shirt, a darkish blue skirt, and chose a white pair of sneakers to go with it. I put my hair into a ponytail, then grabbed a small bag and put my wallet and phone in it. At the last moment, when my hand was on the door handle, I decided to ask if Jongin wanted to come along. I knocked on his door.

His reply was muffled, probably by a pillow, so I couldn't make out his answer. I opened the door just enough to poke my head in, and saw that Jongin did, indeed, have his head still buried in a pillow. "Are you sleeping?" I asked.

Once again, his answer was muffled, but then he lifted his head to look at me, eyes sleepy. "I was going to ask if you wanted to go catch a movie with me. I heard there's this new one that's really good. But since you're sleeping, just sleep," I said with a small smile, and proceeded to close the door.

"Wait for me," he called through the closed door, surprising me. I'd expected him to say no, anyhow. A few moments later, he appeared, heading into the washroom. I heard water running, presumably him washing his face, and then he went back into his room, locking the door behind him. Jongin reappeared, cleaned up: hair brushed, changed into a pair of jeans along with the navy shirt he was wearing earlier.

"Which movie theater were you planning to go to?" he asked, dark eyes boring into mine.

"Well, there's one a few blocks away from here. We can probably walk it," I replied, looking away and heading toward the front door. Jongin was right behind me.

We were greeted by the warm spring air, with a light breeze. I smiled as I breathed in the sunshine. "It's really nice out today," I commented.

"It is," Jongin agreed lifelessly, and led the way.

I was silent as I walked, secretly observing him. I'd never given a thought to how much taller he was than me. I barely reached his shoulder. I was also studying his features--sharp and definitely handsome. His movements were always graceful, too. I really was lucky to have such a good-looking guy be my husband, I realized. If only he could smile and talk a little more.

After I realized that I was openly staring and probably making him uncomfortable, I looked straight ahead as I struggled to keep pace with his long strides. "What made you decide to come along? Wouldn't you rather sleep?" I asked, curiosity winning out.

Jongin shrugged. "I can only sleep for so long. Like you said, there's not much to do at home, especially alone. And, as you so kindly reminded me, we're supposed to be on a 'honeymoon,''" he said, sarcasm dripping on the last word. "Going to the movies seems like a first step. I might as well try to get to know you, if I have to see you every day for the rest of my life."

A smile grew on my face, uncontrollable, so I looked in the opposite direction as him. A few moments later, we reached the movie theater and entered. I paid for the tickets while Jongin wandered around, finding food to snack on during the movie. We rendezvoused at the door to the movie we were watching. Jongin was holding a giant bucket of popcorn, a tray of nachos, a box of candy, as well as two drinks. I raised my eyebrows at the ridiculous sight, but didn't comment.

We found (regular) empty seats, and settled in. Jongin immediately began munching on the nachos, and I took a handful of popcorn. I found myself being unable to concentrate on the movie, because of the close proximity we were sitting in. Going to the movies with Jongin, sitting right next to him peacefully, without him glaring at me...this was new.

I told myself to focus on the movie, the plot, the characters, what was going on. Eventually, out of curiosity, I glanced over and saw that Jongin had fallen asleep, one hand holding the popcorn, the other still buried in the bucket. I allowed myself to study him some more, now that he wouldn't notice. Jongin looked so peaceful, so content, carefree when he was sleeping. I only wished that he could look that way all the time.

When the movie was over, I nudged him gently. He opened his eyes, seeming to take in his surroundings, looked at me, and stood up without a word. Jongin stopped only to throw the trash away. I followed him out, and together we walked silently home.

He never glanced back to make sure that I was following him.

If I had any real hope of Jongin opening up, it quickly deflated, though my chances were much better now compared to even a week before. Who was I trying to fool? Just because he was more willing to talk didn't mean anything. I was being delusional; we'd barely been married for a week--in other words, we'd only met for a week. And he'd probably broken up with his girlfriend because of the sudden marriage. Even though he'd said that he didn't blame me, it was still indirectly my fault.

My phone rang suddenly. Jongin glanced back at me, and I checked who it was: Chanyeol. "Hello?" I answered.

"Hey! What are you doing?" he greeted enthusiastically.

"I just watched a movie. I'm on my way back home. You?"

"I finished my book. As expected, it was great. But then, I got kind of bored, so I was wondering if you want to hang out?"

"Uhh...sure. Where?"

"How about the book store near our high school? I know it's probably a bit far from your area, but you know how it is. That place is the best. So many memories there. I don't think I can bring myself to buy books from anywhere else." He sighed jokingly.

"All right then, sounds good. I'll meet you there in about an hour."

"Cool. See ya!"

I hung up and put my phone away again. There was no way Jongin had missed my conversation with Chanyeol, but he said nothing. The moment we reached home, he said, "Well, since you have somewhere to go, go." Then he headed inside.

A bit taken aback, I went into my car and went on my way toward the bookstore. Traffic wasn't bad, and I got there relatively quickly. I called him as I parked the car and headed inside, where Chanyeol stood waiting, grin on his face. "I've got a table at the back," he said.

I followed him and sat down at the said table, where books seemed to be overflowing. "Wow, Chanyeol. I knew you were a reader, but...wow." Every inch of the table was covered by some sort of book, and Chanyeol hastily stacked them all into a few piles to make room for me.

"Yeah, sorry. I kind of got carried away. Anyway, I'm glad you came. You want something to drink?" he asked. The bookstore also had a mini cafe where readers could enjoy a variety of drinks while they devoured their books.

"Sure." I said, reading some of the book titles.

"What do you want?" Chanyeol asked, waving his hand to get my attention. "You okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. And I don't know, whatever sounds good. I trust you."

Chanyeol grinned and flashed me a wink before walking away.

I thought about the books he'd been reading--all related to romance, dating advice, others of the sort. I was concerned.

Then I thought about what I'd told him. I trust you.

I did trust him. With all my heart.