Coffee

Breakfast

“Tomorrow at noon” came quicker than Minseok had anticipated. The butterflies in the poor boy’s stomach were going completely insane and he couldn’t decide whether it was because he was nervous or loathing the fact that he had to meet up with that -hole named Jongdae.

“Man, I ing hate Jongdae,” Minseok crankily whispered to himself as he tripped off his bus and walked to the café they were to meet at. He was wearing thin, blue sweater with stripes and a pair of cargos which was actually a big deal considering he couldn’t decide what to put on for the first hour and a half of his morning. He didn’t even get to have his morning coffee because of this stupid dilemma. This was a problem since Minseok was only ever functional because of coffee.

Eventually, however, the young waiter found his way into the café without any issues and easily spotted his dreaded lunch companion since the said boy was beaming with smiles and waving frantically in Minseok’s general direction.

“Wow, you look like you just got thrown off an airplane,” Jongdae said as Minseok’s slumped, tired figure stumbled into the chair across from him.

Minseok glared.

“It’s okay though,” Jongdae smiled sweetly and rested his chin in his hands, “You still look exceptionally adorable.”

Minseok’s glare deepened. He wasn't in the mood to put up with Jongdae's today. That, and the fact the boy's smile was practically blinding him didn't contribute positively to Minseok's attitude that afternoon at all.

“Sorry I’m a little late,” The orange haired boy said without much sincerity. He peeked up from behind his menu and looked at the other who didn’t seem to mind.

“It’s okay, I’ve been here since 11:30,” Jongdae said, waving dismissively at him. “What’s a few extra minutes?”

“Why would you even come that early?” He asked, dumbfounded.

“You told me not to be late,” Jongdae simply replied, making Minseok’s heart flutter slightly. He almost felt bad about thinking terribly of the other, but instantly discarded the feeling once Jongdae had caught him staring. Minseok drew into a scowl once again and the other grinned, highly amused.

After a few moments of silence, both of them looking around the café not knowing what to say until Jongdae finally cleared his throat loudly, causing Minseok to flinch.

“So, Minseok,” He started. “Tell me about yourself.”

By then, their drinks had already came and Minseok took a cautious sip from his caramel latte before replying. “There’s not much I can tell you,” He stated.

“Well then,” Jongdae paused and racked around his brain to find a decent question to ask his little date, “What’s your favorite color?”

“Blue, I guess,” Minseok replied passively. “Now I get to ask you a question,” He said. Jongdae nodded at him to continue. “Why are you doing this?”

“Pass.”

“You can’t ing pass!” Minseok snapped, furious.

“Ask me a simple question,” Jongdae smiled cheekily, which caused the other to push his brows together in frustration. “Later we can get to the deeper stuff.”

“Fine! Then what’s your favorite color?”

“Hmm… I suppose I like blue too,” Jongdae replied. “Why did you order a caramel latte?”

“Because it’s sweet and wakes me up.”

“You have a sweet tooth? That’s so cute,” Jongdae cooed.

“Stop calling me cute for s sake,” Minseok growled. “I’m probably years older than you, disrespectful little .”

“Are you sure? I’m 21.”

“I’m 24.”

“You literally look 20.”

“Really?”

“No, more like 12.”

Minseok frowned deeply and moved on to his next question, “What do you work as?”

“I can’t really say,” Jongdae said after a while. Before Minseok could call him out, the boy quickly added, “Let’s just say I’m a scientist.”

“What type of—”

“Hey! I get to ask a question now. Wait your turn,” Jongdae interjected, snickering at the other's impatience. “What type of movies do you like?”

Minseok hesitated before saying rather quietly, “Ones with Leonardo DiCaprio in it.”

Jongdae quirked an eyebrow and Minseok shrugged. There wasn’t a problem with that. There was never a problem with Leonardo DiCaprio.

“So what type of science do you specialize in?” Minseok finally got to ask.

“It’s not that important,” Jongdae replied, sipping his coffee. “I hardly make any money off it anyways.”

“Stop avoiding my question,” The other said flatly.

“I’ll take you sometime,” Jongdae suggested, leaning towards the orange haired boy who quickly leaned away.

“Ew, no thanks.”

“Suit yourself.”

As the hour progressed, they tossed back and forth a few vague questions, argued here and there, and sipped their drinks. The pair gradually got deeper and deeper into their little “question and answer” game and soon enough, it was Jongdae’s turn to ask a question again.

“Why are you so tense?” He simply asked with all seriousness.

This 'simple' question, however, threw Minseok off. Why was he so tense? He was never this apprehensive to others. Heck, he was usually quite nice. Minseok’s stomach flipped when Jongdae cleared his throat softly to pull the boy back from his thoughts and get an answer.

“Well,” He started. Minseok thought for a bit. He nervously began tapping his forefinger against his mug as the curious stare coming from the raven haired boy deepened significantly. “I guess… I— You— You’re just weird?”

Those words sat between them, ringing through their ears during a short moment of silence before Jongdae raised a brow and laughed softly. Minseok’s cheeks flushed pink in embarrassment and he hid behind his latte.

“W-What’s so funny!” Minseok stammered. The poor boy had tried to sound aggressive but the world was acting against him, giving Jongdae the upper hand at the moment.

“You’re the one who’s acting weird,” Jongdae chuckled into his drink.

“I’m not acting weird!” Minseok snapped back defensively, “Especially not when compared to you! Who even asks people they just randomly meet to go have lunch anyways? You’re a pretty suspicious character, you know.”

“For one, I wanted to get to know you,” Jongdae said in a laughing tone, trying to calm down the fuming orange haired boy across from him. “And second, I think you’re one of the most gorgeous people I’ve ever met.”

Minseok’s mind went blank and he was taken aback. His glare faltered and a whirlwind of emotions hit the boy straight in the chest, knocking the wind right out of him. His ears grew hot and he felt dizzy. He tried to retaliate against the boy who was gazing at him dreamily, watching how he tried to react, but Minseok couldn’t seem to form a proper sentence. Unfortunately, in this hazy state of mind, Minseok didn’t even notice he was holding his mug a little too tightly when it suddenly shattered in his hands.

Minseok yelped loudly and Jongdae sprung up from his chair.

“Holy , Minseok are you okay?” Jongdae asked worriedly. He quickly grabbed both of Minseok’s wrists, turned them palm up, and examined them closely. However, the orange haired boy, gritting his teeth together, yanked away from Jongdae’s grasp and turned ten shades of red, each shade progressively getting darker, all in a span of two seconds.

“Stop saying things like that!” Minseok yelled, voice strained due to the feeling of his heart lodged in his throat, beating away at his vocal chords. His mind was racing and he couldn't respond the way he wanted to. Minseok had flipped a switch and suddenly grew angry. He didn’t know what he was feeling but he didn’t like it.

By then the entire café was silent and staring at the pair in confusion. A waiter had popped up out of nowhere and was already cleaning the mess.

“Are you okay, sir?” The waiter finally asked, breaking the stare-down between Minseok’s glare and Jongdae’s concern.

“I’m fine—”

“You’re bleeding!” Jongdae exclaimed, reaching for Minseok.

The boy pulled away quickly. “I said I’m fine,” He claimed irritably.

Jongdae flinched back and his lips drew into a thin line. He retracted his arm and his hands balled into tight fists. The said boy’s eyebrows rose in worry but his eyes gleamed with something along the expression of ‘hurt’.

Minseok’s heart dropped.

After a few moments of composing themselves, Jongdae paid for their lunch and headed outside with Minseok trailing behind him.

The boy felt awful. Why was he acting like this? He had been cautious with Jongdae since the start when they had met that awkward morning Minseok had practically assaulted him, but this was getting ridiculous. The boy had never had someone be so direct with him before, yet alone claim that he was maybe attractive, and it was playing with Minseok’s mind and heart. There was something about Jongdae that put him off but at the same time perked his curiosity. Who was Jongdae and why was he like this to him? Why did he desire Minseok’s attention so badly?

Once the two of them were outside, Jongdae turned around to look at the other. His face was stiff and unreadable.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” He asked.

Minseok nodded. He felt awful on the inside and it was eating away at his stomach. Jongdae didn’t deserve to be treated this terribly. How much of an was he today to make Jongdae’s usual bright smile disappear so suddenly? He was a huge . A bigger than Jongdae was being the other morning.

“I uh…” Minseok started softly. Jongdae was quiet. “I’m sorry about that.”

“It’s fine—”

“I just overreact… violently… I guess,” Minseok cut him off. “Could I make it up to you maybe?” He continued, carefully choosing each word.

Slowly and ever-so-slightly, Jongdae’s eyes lightened and he smiled softly. “How?”

“Um,” Minseok thought for a moment. “Does free breakfast tomorrow morning sound good?”

Jongdae laughed and the orange haired boy let out a relieved breath.

“I suppose.”

 

 

A/N: WHOOP u can thank an anon for reminding me that people are a little interested in this piece of fanfic :’D THIS WAS 1,400 WORDS JUST FOR U GUYS OKAY!! Sorry it was kinda all over the place but I think this kinda establishes how Minseok feels about Jongdae in a way…??/

He’s just a confused little :’)

WELL I hope u enjoyed anyways :D This chapter kinda feels more complete than the other ones… I don’t actually know where I’m going with this fanfic?/? So anticipate nothing.

Promos my blog B-) u can come bug me when I feel down about this fic hAHA

p.s. do u like the edits i made for the thing ehehehehe