Chapter 1

After Eternity (기다리는)

 

 

Chapter One

 

 

 

 

‘Man may only have one life to live, but if you do it right, once is enough’

 

 

 

 

Life is never perfect, but life is a beautiful thing. Someone once told me that in life there comes a time when the world gets quiet and the only thing left is your own heart. So you’d better learn the sound of it. Otherwise you’ll never understand what its saying.

 

 

 

Love is hard to find, hard to keep, and hard to forget.

 

 

 

I never regretted anything in my life, until today…

 

 

 

 

It was nearing winter and the placed looked nothing less than perfect—deserted and plain. The cold wind brushed against the old man’s winkled face. Like an old forgotten memory it carried, he smiled as he remembered his memories of her

 

The vast sea before him held a nostalgic feeling, and unconsciously his eyes closed. In the darkness of his sight it was silent, only the sound of the water caressing the white sand could be heard.  But even in silence he could think of nothing else but her.

 

 

“Papi! Papi!” His weary eyes opened and looked at the little girl about the age of 4, smiling brightly at him while hugging his feet.

 

She reminded him of her. Those sharp but caring eyes the girl possess, it was just like hers, and involuntarily tears begun to surface through his wrinkled ones.

 

“Papi, why are you crying?” The girl frowned. Her chubby cheeks were red from the cold and her pointy nose cringed from pouting and frowning.

 

She looks so much like her, he thought.

 

“Nothing darling, you just look like someone I know…” He replied, his voice is deep and hoarse, that’s like it held so much weight over the years.

 

“Why would you cry about that?” The little girl inquired, too chatty for her age, but nonetheless the old man smiled for she was very much like her.

 

“Because that someone is very special to your papi.” The little girl tilted her head to the side, her brows furrowed like she was thinking too much into it.

 

“Is it appa?” the little girl exclaimed enthusiastically.

 

“No princess, it’s someone else.” The old man chuckled seeing the little pout for having a wrong answer.

 

“Then who is it??”

 

“It’s the love of my life.” He smiled looking onto the distant.

 

The girl was lost again. “What do you mean papi?”

 

“You are so much like her Soojung. She was my princess” He chuckled at the little girl’s antics as he lifted her up to sit on his lap.

 

“I thought I was your only princess!” The girl pouted.

 

“Yes you are.” He grinned pinching her cheeks. “She was more like my queen, but I still call her my princess.”

 

“tell me about her papi…!” Soojung pressed on the old man. “tell about the love of chur life!”

 

“okay, okay… but I think you’ll get bored.” The little girl shook her head furiously implying the opposite.

 

“I not papi! I promise!”

 

He smiled as he thought about how it all started…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Many years ago…

 

The traffic was bad. A young boy was fidgeting in the back seat of a cab, he has been waiting for 15 minutes only to move an inch or two.

 

“I’m gonna be late!” He said as he bit his right thumb. “Mister, how far is the airport from here?” He asked the driver.

 

“It a 7-9 minutes’ walk I think. Why? Are you in a hurry?” The boy just nodded in response. “Look over there to you right boy.”

 

The boy obeyed, looking through a bunch of tall buildings

 

“Do you see that humongous Sydney like building?”

 

“Yeah…”

 

“That’s the airport. Here take this map” The driver said as he handed the boy a map and guided him to the direction he must go.

 

The boy adjusted his LA cap upon arriving at the airport after 9 minutes and 43 seconds of walking. With haste he made his way inside, but before he could get inside a filthy homeless guy approached him saying:

 

“You!” The homeless guy pointed directly at him. He had a long bread and flies where fying around his dirty hair.

 

“Me?”

 

“Yes, you! I saw you in a vision!” The homeless guy said theatrically as he looked up. “I see a great deal of pain in your future!” 

 

“What? Great pain? You’re crazy old man.” The boy replied, there was only one explanation for this, he thought and it was ...

 

'the old homeless dude was high.' thinking that he had wasted enough time listening to a crazy person’s rant he headed to the entrance.

 

“Wait! There’s more!” The homeless guy stopped him.

 

“I really need to get goin dude. So move!” Seriously he was gonna be late for his flight.

 

“You’re gonna meet the girl of your destiny in an airport!” the homeless guy declared, as he once again lifted his head up.

 

“that’s it! I’m going!” And with that the boy left the crazy homeless guy and went in.

 

"mark my words boy!" the dirty homeless man shouted last time before the boy disappeared inside.

 

 

---

 

“hey! Mister!” A little girl about the age of 9 called out to a teen wearing an LA cap, white hoodie and light brown short pants, who was staring at the monitor for quite some time looking like a total idiot.

 

 

 

But she was ignored.

 

“Hey mister! MISTER!” she called louder.

 

 

Still ignored.

 

After a couple of ignored calls she approached the guy.

 

Hey mister! I was calling for some time now!” the little girl pulled his hoodie hard while pouting.

 

“w-what the—what are you doing?! And who you calling mister brat?”

 

“I was calling you! And I need you help…” She insisted.

 

“What do you want?” He asked sounding a little bit annoyed, but at the same time finding the girl cute with her pony tails and chubby cheeks.

 

The little girl continued to pout as she pointed to the vending machine. She held his hand and pulled him towards the machine at the corner.

 

“What is wrong?” He asked again.

 

“My drink…is stuck.”

 

He faced palm mentally as he got himself closer to the machine, looking to and fro and suddenly he kicked the rectangular mechanism hard and the drink fell out with a ‘clunck’.

 

“Yey!” the little girl exclaimed happily. “Thank you mister!”

 

“Amber”

 

“huh?”

 

“My name’s Amber.” He said emotionlessly.

 

“Oh! Thank you Amber-oppa!” She said as she hugged his feet.

 

“oppa?” he was totally lost… ‘what the heck does that mean’ he thought.

 

The little girl just nodded smiling. “oh, I have to go oppa…here!” She handed him a pink hello kitty bowler and left…

 

 

 

 

‘what the hell is this…?’

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. sounds crappy. no s. but yeah. :D