Why?

Sixth Sense

The two of them walked at the park. They just walked quietly because somehow the silent felt much more comfortable. Taehyun saw a bench and directed Mina to sit there. They sat next to each other and Mina sighs.

“Tired?” Taehyun asked and smiles. Mina shakes her head in response.

“Can I ask you something?” Mina asked. Taehyun raised his eyebrows and nodded. “Why did you want to commit suicide?” she asked and feeling a little bit scared because she knew it’s none of her business. Taehyun lowered his head and pursed his lips.

“I was stressed. Living with dead people around you, it’s stressful. I have trouble with sleeping and wherever I go, they’re always there. It’s not like people are going to believe me if I said something like ‘I can see ghosts’, right?” He lets out his misery. Mina stared at him with sympathy. It must been hard for him to interact with ghosts. Just like in movies, they’re scary as hell.

“Why did you decided to help me?” she asked again. She knew she should be thankful because he agreed to help her but for someone who has just decided to end his life and suddenly a stranger came to him for a favor, a huge favor, and he agreed immediately to do so, isn’t it a little bit something? She has always been so curious why this miserable guy would help her although both of them knew it’s almost impossible for her to wake up.

 Taehyun stared at the spaces; thinking deeply about the question. He, himself, doesn’t know why he would help her. He was so determined to end his nightmare life. And he couldn’t find anything but she’s all in his mind ever since Mina came to him; desperately asking for his help. “I just felt like I need to help you. You know how it feels like when you need to buy the lottery ticket today and then miracle happens, you won, big time.” He explained with excitement in his voice.

Mina laughed at his answer. “So, I’m like a lottery ticket?” She joked. Taehyun chuckled and stared at her.

“Yes, I think that you’re a really special lottery ticket.” He said in a serious tone and looks at her. Mina blushed and smiles. Taehyun stands up and says, “We have to go back, Ms. Ghost.” Mina chuckled and stands up as well.

“Alright, Mr. Human.” She said with a teasing smile and walks.

“Aren’t ghosts supposed to be flying or just disappear in the space?” He asked jokingly and walks next to her. Mina laughed again with his silly jokes.

“No, we don’t fly and I prefer walking.” Mina replied and smiles. Taehyun smirked at her answer.

“You prefer walking because there’s me, right? Right?” He again. Mina couldn’t hide her red cheeks and just continued laughing.

****

 

Taehyun stood in front of Mina’s room, afraid to go in because of Mr. Choi. Mina looked at him strangely and asked him why. Taehyun shakes his head and gathers his courage. He knocked the door and surprisingly Mr. Choi opened it up. Taehyun’s face went pale and quickly bows to him. Mr. Choi cleared his throat and looked at him with suspicious eyes.

Last time he said he’s just a friend, why would he come again.. This brat really wants it…

Mrs. Choi was curious why the guest doesn’t come in and she saw Taehyun. She stared at her husband’s scary glare at him and she understood why Taehyun just stood there. She walked towards them and greeted Taehyun.

“Omo, Taehyun-ssi. You came again.” She gave him a motherly smile. She turned to look at her husband and gave him a death glare. Mr. Choi cleared his throat again.

“Come in.” Mr. Choi invited him in. Taehyun smiles nervously and steps in. Mina chuckled at them and walks inside comfortably. Taehyun handed a plastic of apples to Mrs. Choi.

“I thought I should give you something.” He said and smiles at Mrs. Choi. Mr. Choi looked at the plastic suspiciously and he looks happy seeing apples in there. Mina advised Taehyun to bring some apples for her parents because her dad really loves apples.

“Omo, thank you Taehyun-ssi. I’ll prepare for you guys, okay?” Mrs. Choi said.

Taehyun walked towards Mina’s bed and stared at her sleeping figure. He looked at Mina who’s standing next to herself and sat down. Looking at her lying down in the bed actually breaks his heart. It hurts him to see her like that but it hurts him more knowing that he couldn’t do anything to wake her up.

“Taehyun-ssi, I left some apples for you here. We’ll be at the cafeteria so you should just spend time with Mina, alright?” Mrs. Choi said. Taehyun stood up and nodded. Mr. Choi eyeing him suspiciously and went outside with a plate of apples. Mrs. Choi smiled at him and went outside to join her husband.

Taehyun sat down again. “Try going in.” he told Mina. Mina lied down in the bed and joined in with her sleeping figure. “This time, once I held your hand, try to open your eyes.” He said. He held her hand and the tingling feeling strike again. She opened her eyes but it doesn’t work. Taehyun sighed in disappointment.

Mina sat down and sighs as well. "Maybe there's something missing." she said. She went out from her bed and stands next to her sleeping figure. "How about we go to the shaman?" she suggested.

Taehyun looked at her and raises his eyebrows. "Yeah.. Didn't think of that, but which shaman should we ask? There are too many of fake ones. I don't even believe in any of them too" Taehyun said. "But that is not a bad idea either. I'll ask my friends about it." he added as he touches Mina's hand.

Suddenly the door opened and Mrs. Choi stepped in. She saw Taehyun's holding her daughter's hand and Taehyun immediately moved his hand. They just exchanged gaze for a while then Mr. Choi stepped in. Mrs. Choi quickly told her husband to go out again because she thought Taehyun needs a little more time. Taehyun immediately stands up and excused himself.

"I think I need to go now." He politely said.

"Ah, it's okay. You can talk to her more." Mrs. Choi said. She thought he was feeling uncomfortable with them in the room.

"Thank you but I have to go." He said and bows to Mr. and Mrs. Choi.

"Alright then. Thanks for visiting, Taehyun-ssi." Mrs. Choi said and smiles.

"By the way, just call me Taehyun." he smiles. Mrs. Choi smiles back and nodded. Mr. Choi is clueless about his wife behaviour. He just stood with puzzles in his head. He nodded as Taehyun make his way to go out. Mrs. Choi closed the door and asked her husband to sit down.

"I think that boy isn't just Mina's friend. He's a special friend." Mrs Choi simply said. Mr. Choi's eyes widen.

"Mina's boyfriend..?" He asked in surprise. 

Mrs. Choi shakes her head and says, "No, if he's her boyfriend he would have visited her two years ago."

Her husband nodded in response and eats his apple.