The Spirit

Sixth Sense

Taehyun kept on staring at his coffee while Mina nervously bit her lip. They were fine when the first arrived at the cafe but when their conversation came to and end, they acted awkwardly and both of them stayed silence even though they were a lot of noises in their minds. It continued for 10 minutes until Taehyun couldn't handle the silence hovering them. 

"So, how's your family doing?" He asked out of curiosity, or he just wanted to talk to her, or both.

"They're fine. My mum has been stopped crying ever since." She smiled when the thoughts of her family crossed her mind. She was happy that her family seemed more alive than before because the guy that was sitting in front of her gave them hope. She was thankful to the fact that he was alive, that she came sooner than she expected to be.

"Mina." He called out for her. He loves her name more than anything, probably more than his mom's cook.

"Hm?"

"Nothing." He stared into her eyes.

Mina giggled at him and found him ridiculous. She stared back and she could feel her heartbeat. It was fast, almost hurting her but in a beautiful way. Just like Taehyun's stare. Mina remembered how she hated it when people looked into her eyes. She felt that people could read her mind if they did that but she didn't mind it when Taehyun did it. She likes it, the way Taehyun's eyes landed on hers. It was like when she first fell for him, softly and terrifying.

"When I was 12, I thought that people in love would get married." She said. Taehyun didn't say anything to allow her to finish her story.

"But I was wrong when I found out my aunt didn't. She didn't make it." She swallowed the lump in .

"It's not your fault."

"Maybe." She looked down.

"Mina. Hey, look at me." He moved closer and offered his hand to her. She looked at him and took his hand.

"It's not your fault that they didn't make it. It's not your fault that your aunt died. You have no control of what have and will happen. Sometimes people be in love but it doesn't mean they would be together until the very end. Some things just happened because reasons. And you shouldn't blame yourself for what had happened." He caressed her hand.

It's funny how they were awkward a moment ago and now he almost wrap his arms over her to console her, to tell her that everything will be fine even when he didn't know what the future holds for them. He just wanted to tell her that she is the most beautiful thing that happened to him but he kept his mouth shut and he regretted it deeply.

Taehyun's phone rang. He picked it up and answered the caller. It was Andrew, telling Taehyun that he was nearing the cafe. Just around the corner.

Taehyun sat next to Mina, putting his hand on her but not holding it. Soon enough, Andrew came and both of them greeted him.

"So, I found a lot of interesting stuffs and the percentage of waking Mina-ssi up is getting high and higher." Andrew said as he took his paperwork out from his briefcase and his recorder.

"Care to explain?" Taehyun asked.

"I don't know if this is relatable but the day Mina-ssi got into the accident, it was the same with your birthday. Although my colleagues and I have argued about the date, I am sure it's not just purely coincidence. Taehyun-ssi, did something happen during your birthday two years ago?" He looked at Taehyun.

Taehyun's jaws tighten and he cursed himself for not remembering what had happened two years ago. How could he be that forgetful? "I got into an accident. I started to see them since then." 

Andrew's mouth parted and he felt like he hit the jackpot. He was right all along.

Mina stared at him - disbelief of what Taehyun said. She held his hand and Taehyun looked at her. He gave his assuring smile to her and she smiled back.

"Wow.." It was the only thing Andrew only managed to say.

"How did you know my birthday anyway?" Taehyun finally asked.

"I have a habit of looking at my client's ID. I like to know people better." He said calmly.

"So..." Mina spoke out.

"So my theory is, you could be the one to wake her up." He looked at Taehyun.

Taehyun furrowed his eyebrows, looking at him with puzzle. "How?"

"Exactly. But I called my senior to come here and discuss with us about. He'll know what we should do." 

"Doctor, I don't think-." Mina spoke out but was cut by Taehyun.

"It's okay." He glanced at her and looked at Andrew. "We'll meet him."

"He'll arrive soon." Andrew glanced at his watch. "I'm sorry for asking without your permission." Andrew looked at them apologetically.

Taehyun shook his head. He knew it was for the best, for Mina. Surprisingly, he didn't feel nervous and he was looking forward to the meeting.

A man in his fifties knocked the door and Andrew instantly opened it for him. He stepped in and the first thing he noticed was Mina's aura. He isn't like Taehyun or Andrew, but he practiced psychic study. He could only sense them and that was it. He looked around the room and stopped at the seat beside Taehyun. 

Mina stared at him and she thought he could see him but she soon realized she was wrong when he asked Andrew about it.

"There's a spirit with us, right Andrew?" He asked without looking at the young doctor. "A girl..." He muttered.

"Yes, professor. It's a girl. And oh, this is Nam Taehyun-ssi. The one I was talking about." Andrew stepped back for Taehyun to bow. The man just nodded at him.

"Taehyun-ssi, this is Doctor Yunho, my senior or better yet, my professor and he is the best in this field." Andrew proudly grinned.

"I also heard you can see spirits." Yunho said.

"Yes, that's right." Taehyun replied.

They settled down and Yunho ordered to sit across Mina. She knew he couldn't see her but she still feel scared, somehow. Taehyun tried to resist the urge to hold her hand and tell her everything's fine. 

"So, I just found out both of them got into the accident at the same day." Andrew explained.

Yunho nodded. "What time was it?"

"Mina was rushed at the hospital, together with her aunt, around 10AM." Andrew said and looked at Taehyun.

"I think it was around 7AM." Taehyun told him.

Yunho closed his eyes and rubbed his chin.

"So, my theory is Taehyun could be the one to help Mina." Andrew said softly.

Yunho opened his eyes. "I think so too. There was a case like this, except the situation was different. A client begged me to wake up her husband and little did she know that her husband's spirit was lingering around her and he knew everything. I brought her a shaman and the shaman told her that he should be in the real spirit world to go inside his body again." 

"Does that mean... she should die?" Taehyun asked Yunho.

"Yes."