First Love

Sixth Sense

Mina and Taehyun went to the kids’ floor and as expected, Jaehyuk is there; sitting next to Soojung’s bed. Soojung was reading a book and Jaehyuk just kept on staring at her. Mina went to Jaehyuk and tapped his shoulder. This time he’s not shocked like before. He looked at her sadly and Mina just patted him. Taehyun went stood near to her bed and Soojung stopped reading. She was sort of surprised to see a stranger visiting her.

“Are you Jaehyuk’s friend?” Taehyun asked her. She just nodded. She was afraid if he would do harm to her. Taehyun noticed her frightened look and says, “Don’t worry. Oppa is Jaehyuk’s friend too.” He calmed her and she looked a little bit relaxed. “What’s your name?” he asked.

“Soojung. Im Soojung.” She said, still afraid. Taehyun gave her a warm smile and looked at Jaehyuk.

“Do you miss Jaehyuk?” He asked her and took a seat. She kept the book in the drawer and sat down properly.

“Yes, all the time. He always played with me so I feel lonely now.” She said sadly. Jaehyuk lowered his head and frowned.

“Why don’t you play with the other kids?” he said and looked around. Most of the kids were playing with each other and she is the only one who’s alone.

“It’s not the same. Jaehyuk always let me win. He’s nicer than the other kids too.” She said.

“Well, in life we don’t always win. If you don’t want to lose then work hard for it and if you only want to win then you’re gonna be alone like this. The other kids are nice too, see?” He said and pointed at the other kids. They looked so happy playing with each other. Soojung looked at them sadly and frowned.

Mina called Taehyun and says, “Jaehyuk has something to say too.” Jaehyuk looked at both of them and Taehyun pretended not to see her.

“Soojung-ah, oppa need to go to the toilet first for a while.” He excused himself and she nodded. Mina and Jaehyuk followed him and walked outside. There was no one so it’s safe for them to talk.

“I told you our deals, right? No talking when human is around.” He said to Mina.

Mina frowned and says, “I’m sorry but it was urgent.” Taehyun looked at her and just forget what happened.

“Okay, so now what am I going to tell her?” he asked both of them.

“But, is she going to believe it?” Mina asked him. Taehyun rubbed his temple and Mina snapped her fingers. “How about he writes a letter and you will give it to her?” Mina suggested and Taehyun lips formed a smile.

“I’ll go get the paper.” Taehyun said and went to the counter to ask for a paper and a pen. He came back and Jaehyuk took it from him and started to write on the letter.

“I thought ghost can’t touch things?” Taehyun asked Mina. He still didn’t get how did Mina touched his hand while saving him. He has never touched a ghost before and they always went through him, like the air.

“It’s because we want to. We can touch things if want to but human can’t see us. I touched my mom’s hand sometimes while she’s asleep. That’s how it works I guess.” She explained and Taehyun nodded.

“I’m done.” Jaehyuk smiled and handed the letter to him. Taehyun was going to read the letter but Jaehyuk snatched it away from his hand. “Hyung, you can’t read someone else letter.” He scolded him. Taehyun laughed nervously and Mina giggled.

Taehyun folded the letter and held it. He walked towards Soojung’s bed and sat on the chair nearby. Soojung was reading a book so she kept the book again. “Oppa, what were you doing in the toilet? You really took a long time.” She asked him. Taehyun chuckled and he found Soojung is a friendly girl. Just now, she looked so frightened but now she’s more comfortable.

“Actually, I went to take this. It’s from Jaehyuk.” He handed her the letter. She looked at the letter and furrowed. It has been 14 days since the death of Jaehyuk but she just got the letter now.

She folded out the letter and read.

Hello Soojung. It’s me, Jaehyuk. I’m sorry that I left so early. I’m sorry, friend. I hope you will be happy like always. I just want to say that I like you. Since the first day you greeted me and played with me, I just like you so much. You are prettier and nicer than the other girls although you always want to win. I know you are very sad but I want you to be happy and get more friends. The other kids are nice too. I know because I talked with them. Please be happy for me and for your parents. Thank you for making my last days full with happiness. I’m very happy to have you by my side. I want to marry you in the other life. Goodbye, Soojung.

She cried and Taehyun patted her back. “It’s okay, Soojung-ah. Just cry.” He comforted her while Mina comforted Jaehyuk. The other kids looked at her strangely and went to her bed.

“Oppa, why is Soojung crying?” A girl asked Taehyun.

“She was reading Jaehyuk’s letter.” He said to them. The other kids looked at her with pity and the girl patted her.

“It’s okay, Soojung-ah. We are your friends too.” The girl said to her. The others just nodded and said “Eung.”

“Thank you, Sumin-ah and everyone too.” She said. The kids smiled at her and comforted her.

Taehyun stood up and went outside to give the kids some spaces. Mina followed him except for Jaehyuk. He stayed see Soojung for the last time before he went away. “Was it always like this?” Mina asked Taehyun.

“What?” Not understand her question so he asked her again.

“The last goodbye was it always sad?” she repeated her question with details.

Taehyun crossed his arms and says, “It’s a mixed feeling I guess, but Jaehyuk is happy. See?” Taehyun pointed at Jaehyuk. From far, Mina saw Jaehyuk is brighter then yesterday. She smiled and stared at him.

“How many times have you done this?” she asked him again.

“So many times. Sometimes I’m sick of it.” He said and chuckled. Mina admired his kindness towards the poor souls. She is grateful that she met a guy like him.

Jaehyuk walked towards them with a happy face. Mina smiled at him and Taehyun patted his shoulder.

They went to the playground to send him off.

“Thank you for everything, hyung, noona. I can go now. Bye bye.” He said happily. Mina’s tears dropped and she immediately sheds them away. Taehyun nodded and waved at him. Jaehyuk flew away in the air and turned into a shiny thing like a star. Taehyun and Mina stared at each other and smiled.

“I’m glad we helped him.” Taehyun said. Mina smiled and nodded.