Heartbeat

Sixth Sense

Mina went to the playground to search for Jaehyuk. She wanted to ask why he is still here and not at the place he was supposed to go. There was no sign of him at the playground so she went up again to Level 7. At first she was too scared but her curiosity is killing her. Still, there was no him. She didn’t give up though so she went to the lobby just in case if he’s there. She searched the entire floor but he’s still not there so she thought he has left. She felt relieved and disappointed at the same time because it would be nice to have some talks with him.

She stopped by at the kids’ floor to see the cute kids because she really loves kids. She saw some ghosts and greeted them. Most of them looked sad. Suddenly she saw Jaehyuk standing beside a girl’s bed and he looked very sad. Mina approached him and tapped his shoulder. Jaehyuk was surprised by her action and moved away from her.

Mina was surprised too then she chuckled and says, “Don’t be afraid. It’s me, the noona from yesterday at the elevator. Remember?” she gave him a warm smile. Jaehyuk is finally calmed.

“Yes, but why are you here?” Jaehyuk asked. He wondered why is she here at the kids’ floor.

“I just want to see the kids.” She answered him and smiled again. She asks, “Who is this little girl? Your friend?” Mina looked at the girl. They seemed to be in the same age.

Jaehyuk looked at her and replies, “Yes. She always played with me and she’s nice too.” Jaehyuk’s face looked very sad. Mina pitied him and patted him.

“Want to go to the playground?” Mina asked him because he looked too sad. She wanted to cheer him up but since she can’t give him ice cream or something good so the playground is the only choice. Jaehyuk nodded and Mina held his hand.

 

***

 

Jaehyuk is smiling again and that made Mina felt happy. She watched how he played with joy despite being alone.

“How old are you, Jaehyuk?” she asked him. Jaehyuk stopped what he’s doing and looked at her.

“I’m seven years old.” He answered her. He went to the swing and played by himself. Mina lets out a sigh and pitied him. His parents must be sad. They lost their son at such a young age.

“Jaehyuk-ah, what’s your friend’s name? How old is she? What’s her sickness?” Mina continued to ask him.

“Noona, you talk a lot.” He said and Mina chuckled at his response. She could be very talkative at times. “Her name is Soojung. She’s seven years old too and she has cancer, same with me. The doctor said her cancer can be cured. They said I have a rare cancer so they couldn’t find the cure. The doctors told me to play everyday so I won’t regret. But I have one regret..” Jaehyuk said sadly.

Mina walked towards him and sat on the swing. She now realized there are more sad stories than hers. “Did they tell you that you’re not gonna live a very long time?” she asked him. Jaehyuk shakes his head.

“I overheard my parents talked with the doctor so I asked them. At first I was very sad, but mom said God loves me more.” He said. It’s amazing how a seven years old boy can accept the fact that he’s going to die soon.

Mina sheds her tears and asks, “What is your regret?”

“Don’t tell anyone about this. Soojung is my first love.” He said as he blushed. “I didn’t have the right chances to confess to her. So I feel very sad because of that.” He explained.

Mina now understood why he’s still here. The souls won’t leave until they finished their tasks on earth and Jaehyuk still has his regret. She wanted so badly to help him so she says, “Jaehyuk-ah, noona will help you. Remember the hyung that can see ghosts? He’ll help you.” Mina said with confident. She hasn’t asked Taehyun about this yet she already planned it out with Jaehyuk. Jaehyuk smiled brightly and nodded repeatedly.

 

***

Mina waited patiently at the garden and she noticed that the garden looked so dull and boring. Maybe that’s why it was always empty. Taehyun came and sat next to her.

“You know, this garden doesn’t look like an actual garden at all.” She said while analyzing the garden. Taehyun looked around and nodded.

“Yeah, it looks sick.” Taehyun said. Mina was hesitated to say about Jaehyuk because she’s afraid he might get angry.

“I spoke with Jaehyuk earlier.” She started her sentences. Taehyun looked at her with curious and raised his eyebrows.

“Oh? What did you guys talk about?” he asked her.

“I was just curious why he’s still here. You know what I meant, right?” She asked him and he just nodded. “It turns out that he has one left thing to do.” She explained to him.

Taehyun knew that all the souls that wandered around is because they have unfinished business. The ghosts would come to him and told him to do their business. The most common things are apologizing, money and revenges. Taehyun did it but he said he needs something in return but in the end, he did it freely. “What is it?” he asked.

“He wanted to say something to his friend but he couldn’t so he’s just wandered around the hospital and… he looked so sad and miserable so I told him that you’ll help him. I’m sorry! I will tell him that you’re too busy.” She said while lowering her head.

“I’ll do it.” He simply said with a poker face. Mina looked at him with wide eyes. She thought he would be mad for not telling him in advance and just simply agreed to help Jaehyuk but he’s willing to do it. “I did it almost all the time. Helping ghosts or souls, it’s my job. Besides, it’s better to do something with this unfortunate gift, right?” he said. She nodded and Taehyun stands up. “Let’s go find him and help him. After that, we’ll find a way to help you.” He suggested.

Mina nodded and says, “Thank you, Nam Taehyun-ssi.” She bowed.

“Just call me, Taehyun and just speak comfortably. It’s not like we’re gonna be stranger forever.” He said and smiled at her. She doesn’t know how but she can feel her heartbeat beating really fast. She never felt her heartbeat before but today, it beats.