Regret

Sixth Sense

A… ghost?

“You’re kidding, right?” Taehyun didn’t believe someone who looks so real and they even touched could be a ghost?

“I wish I am. I can prove it to you.” She replied.

“How?” He asked, couldn’t believe what she just said.

“You know how. No one can see me but you.”

Right…

“And the help you were talking about, what kind of help?” He’s only asking because he’s curious what kind of help would she ask. Maybe it’s the same as the other ghosts – he’s like a messenger to them. A messenger who sends their last words that was left unsaid because they died too early. He helped them because he thought it’s the reason why he was given this gift, but then what would he receive in return?

“Can we just talk anywhere else that’s more comfortable?” She asked.

“I don’t want anyone see us talking cause… you know why.” He said as rubbed his neck.

“I know a place.”

***

Both of them are at a park. There’s no one there except for some… other ghosts. Taehyun looked around nervously.

“Let’s sit here.” Mina stopped and sat on the bench.

“Spill it out, we got hours to spend.” He sat down, a little bit far from her.

“I got into an accident. It has been two years I’m in the hospital.” She explained; staring blankly at the park.

Before Mina could even finish her story, Taehyun cut her off. “So you are not dead, yet?”

“Let me finish first.” She frowned.

“Yes, I am not dead. I am now in coma but my soul wanders around, like now. It’s heartbreaking seeing my mother cried everyday seeing me unconscious but her daughter is literally standing behind her. It’s sad that you couldn’t do anything but watching them because people can’t see me. I suffered this for almost a year and I could see other souls too but all of them are dead. It’s really terrifying and sad. I wish I could just die like the other ghosts.” She said and sheds her tears.

Taehyun is speechless. Listening to her story made him realized that she went through a very hard time; even more than him. He thought of all his advantages, at least he could talk to people and people can see him. Mina suffered this alone and he felt like an .

“So, how did you find me?” He asked.

“I saw you talking to a ghost. I was going to talk to you but you left so quickly then I followed you so here we are.”

“You followed me earlier?” He asked again.

Oh right. I was at the hospital.

“I desperately need your help.” She said with hope.

“I don’t know how to help, though. I mean, I don’t make soul go back to their body or bring the dead back to life. I can only see ghosts.” He said sadly.

“We could try a few things, right?”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. Just try to think. There must be a way and I think it’s a fate that I met you.”

“If nothing happened?”

“We could try again.” She said confidently.

“I’ll help you, but with one condition.”

“What is it? I’ll do anything.”

“Don’t talk to me in public. I will automatically reply to you and people will think I’m weird.” He awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck.

“Okay, I promise. By the way, we have been talking a lot but I still don’t know your name yet.”

“Oh it’s Taehyun, Nam Taehyun” he smiled.

 

***

 

Taehyun kept on thinking about Mina after that. She must have been really sad to see herself lying in bed while her family crying in front of her. He regretted the decision of killing himself and he was thankful to the fact that he’s still alive.

Taehyun heard his mom greeting him once he closed the door.

“Oh Taehyunnie!” she smiled. He has never been so happy to hear his mom calling out his name. He walked towards her and hugged her tightly. He tried not to cry but a tear came out. He wiped it off immediately.

Taehyun’s mom was taken aback by his action but she hugged him back. Her instinct told her that something happened today but she just continued to comfort her son by soothing his back.

“Mom?” he called out.

“Yes?” she replied with a smile.

“I’m hungry.” He said as he released the hug.

Mrs. Nam chuckled and said “Then let’s eat.”

Taehyun nodded and smiled widely at her.

***

Taehyun has been staring at the ceiling for hours. Mina is clouding up his mind; thinking about how to help her. He never actually helped the ghosts this hard. They will tell him what to do then he’ll finish it but this time, he needs to think it over and over.

He got up from his bed and switched on his laptop. He began searching on the internet about how to wake up a person in coma. He found a lot but the research isn’t quiet satisfying. There are cases such as the person would wake up but die after that. He searched for it until the sun rises.

“It’s morning already? Wah, daebak” He got up from his seat and stretched his arms. He went to sleep afterwards.