03

Winter Angel

 

I hope no one kills me for updating a week late ;___;

 

The next few nights were extremely awkward for the two. He would sit on the sill until she fell asleep and when she woke up, she did so with a heavy heart, sighing sadly at the open window, curtains fluttering about.

 

A week after, she, for once, was at home for dinner and he sat on the couch, watching her cook. She paced around the kitchen with a certain grace to her movements. He rested against the back of the leather seat. What couldn’t she do?

 

Jangmi often times liked to reverse the order of her meals. She liked to eat pasta or something with rice at breakfast, a sandwich or kimbap for lunch and pancakes or cereal at dinner. Myungsoo mentally chuckled as she neatly flipped pancakes.

 

The kitchen was a bit of a mess, Myungsoo noticed, so he stood up, intending to help clean up as she cooked. As Jangmi was pouring batter into the pan, she felt something brush against her arm and she flung the cup full of pancake mix in surprise.

 

Her eyes widened as she stared at Myungsoo. She put a hand to as her lips twitched.

 

She couldn’t take it.

 

Jangmi burst out laughing, pointing at Myungsoo’s pancake-mixed face while doing so. His poker face didn’t help cease her laughter as she clutched her stomach as giggles flew effortlessly past her lips. It was as if hell broke loose as she crouched down to the ground, covering .

 

Myungsoo looked at her laughing with an eyebrow raised. It was nice to see her laughing; it rang in his eyes and reached out to touch his cold, non-beating heart. His eyes softened.

 

She was gasping, trying to catch her breath by now. She stood up, trying and slightly failing to regain her composure.

 

“Done laughing at me yet?”

 

“Of course,” She replied, grinning at him.

 

He sighed in relief.

 

“Not!”

 

*

 

Hoya looked at Jangmi skeptically the next morning as she skipped into the studio, humming a tune. He glanced at the clock and back at her in disbelief.

 

“You’re actually early!”

 

She stuck her tongue out at him.

 

*

 

That evening, Jangmi came home finding Myungsoo in the living room, something in his hands.

 

He stared at it curiously, turning it over and over in his hands. When she walked through the doorway, he waved it in his left hand.

 

“What’s this?”

 

She looked up, smiling. “Oh, that? It’s a camera I hardly use. I got it from my uncle for my eighteenth birthday. Want me to teach you how to use it?” She asked, sitting beside him and scooting closer.

 

His eyes brightened.

 

“Sure.”

 

*

 

The next evening, Jangmi came home with a paper bag in hand and Myungsoo burst out of the living room the moment she stepped in.

 

“What’s that?” He said, eyeing the bag.

 

“Crepes,” She called as she went into the kitchen, and he followed her. She set it on the table and motioned for him to sit.

 

“Are you allowed to eat? I mean, can whatever of your kind eat?”

 

“We can but we don’t have to,” He murmured, staring at the pastry.

 

She took the plastic wrap off the crepe carefully and offered it to him when it was halfway down.

 

“Have a try.” She said as she held it out, grinning.

 

*

 

They were lounging around in her room afterward, and he kept talking about how good the crepes tasted.

 

“... And it’s like it melts in your mouth and, and and...”

 

She rolled her eyes at him. She continued reading her new book until she heard something buzzing.

 

“Holy crap. Holy holy crap.” She muttered, face turning white. A bee was making its way towards her, taunting her with its buzzing.

 

“You damn creature from hell,” She said, standing on the bed as she circled it, trying to avoid the bug. “Get away from me!”

 

Myungsoo watched all this with amusement twinkling in his eyes. He was caught off guard when she ran over to him and hid behind him, using him as a barrier to get away from the black and yellow thing.

 

“What are you so scared of?” He said nonchalantly as he snapped his fingers. The bee glowed white then shot out of the window.

 

She slowly let go of his shoulders. “Can’t you do that to every bug that has ever walked the planet?”

 

“No.”

 

“I hate bugs.”

 

“I figured.”

*

 

Today was not Jangmi’s day, and she wanted to curse the heavens for reminding her.

 

“What’s the problem today, huh?” Was the first thing Myungsoo asked as he caught her expression when she got home.

 

“Mom...” She muttered.

 

“Mom? Oh, sorry. Never mind.” He said hurriedly, mentally smacking himself. Like he’d forget the death anniversary of such an important woman; at least to the Halo Court, she was.

 

She was grumbling the whole evening and all Myungsoo could do was stare as she did so. He could tell she wanted to cry or scream until her voice was all out, but she held it in because he was here. He rolled his eyes.

 

He sat on the other end of the bed as she glared at her lap.

 

“Come here.” He ordered.

 

She lifted her head and narrowed her eyes. “Why?”

 

“I know you miss your mom. Get over here so that I can comfort you.”

 

Way to make a girl feel better, he thought, trying hard not to slap his forehead.

 

But the words seemed to take a deeper toll than he thought, and her voice was quivering as she said in a small voice, “Really?”

 

He scooted closer and brought the trembling girl closer to him as he felt the first tear fall. He sighed. This was going to be a long night.

 

Burying his face in the top of her head after a good long hour of crying, he murmured something inaudible and she collapsed against him. A good rest was what she needed now.

 

His drooping eyelids protested as he tried to open his eyes. Angels needed to sleep too.

 

Just a few minutes...

 

*

 

The sun was shining ridiculously bright when Myungsoo woke up. He felt unusually warm that morning, and it was when he opened his eyes and looking down that he realized why.

 

He had stayed the night.

 

She was starting to rouse from her sleep in his arms, and he carefully slipped out of her embrace, and he hurriedly put his shoes on, spread his wings and flew out the window before she could see him.

 

When a Winter Angel’s subject saw them after the sun rose or before the sun set, there would be serious consequences and Myungsoo wanted to crash into a wall for his carelessness.

 

It didn’t help when Woohyun swooped down and started flying next to him, saying, “Close call, huh?”

 

*

 

Time to explain why I didn't update, though I'm sure not much of you would  really care as long I update eventually but some of you have been screaming at me through PMs, so,

 

Well, our teachers felt like dumping major projects on us on the same day with the same due date! Hurray~~~~~~ .___.

 

Here are the times I slept from last Friday to last Sunday! 8D

 

Friday/Saturday - 12:34 am

Saturday/Sunday - 2:52 am

Sunday/Monday - 4:15 am

 

And I had to wake up at 5 am on Monday. Isn't it great?

Bet you can imagine how heavily the sarcasm is dripping from my fingers to the keyboard. It was not fun at all. I got sent to the clinic after falling asleep during English. Well, they had mercy on me, thank goodness, after finding out how late I slept.

Anyway, you guys should know that I'll probably updating once a week, on Saturday or Sunday in the Philippines. I'll sneak in extras if I have the time!

And I'm informing you guys earlier that I wont be updating from October 15 - November 5 because I'll be going to Korea! 8D

Thanks for waiting~ <3