11

Winter Angel

I'm sure plently of you missed the previous chapter. I've replaced the notice with an update, and if you haven't read it yet, then go back to it~ A bit of Myungyeol in it. ;)

It's been a month since I've last updated and I feel really guilty. I love you guys a lot, okay? I've been trying to come up with something, only to end up with nothing. /sigh

But, since it's Christmas, I decided to push myself a bit to come up with a present in a form of a chapter for you guys. God knows that my bbs deserve it. It's a bit angst-y though, I hope that's alright. I'm writing a few one-shots (oh god, this will be my 13th - 15th one shot ohohohoho) and I'll have the links up with the next chapter if ever they're done by then! :D

Here you go! <3

 

 

Myungsoo paced outside the gates. It felt so foreign being here again, having been away for nearly a year. Woohyun and Sunggyu came to greet him, only to be met by the younger boy’s anxious eyes.

 

“Sit down or something!” Woohyun said, tugging on Myungsoo’s arm as he walked past him. “Your pacing is giving me a headache.”

 

“You’re a walking migraine imposer yourself. You have no room to talk.” Sunggyu said, attempting to push the other boy off the cloud they were sitting on. Woohyun scowled.

 

A bell rang, the tinkling sound piercing through the noise of Woohyun and Sunggyu’s banter and the deafening silence Myungsoo somehow remained in. He pushed the brass gate open very slowly, as though he were afraid that it would break under his touch. As he entered, he closed it behind him. He walked the long hallway to his master’s room, the sound of his footsteps bouncing off the walls of the empty corridor.

 

“Myungsoo?” His master called from his room, and he quickened his pace. As his quarters came into view, he felt his heart sinking again. How was he to do this?

 

He stood in front of him, eyes on the ground. His master rolled his eyes. What was wrong with him today? “Well? Get to it.”

 

“Master. I...” He trailed off, words caught on his tongue. He shook his head. He let the last of his pride slip away and got down on his knees. “I can’t do it.”

 

The man seated in front of him raised his eye brows quizzically at the angel kneeling before him. He knew Myungsoo the most out of all his Winter Angels and knew that he didn’t get on his knees for nothing.

 

“What is it?” He asked, leaning forward in his seat.

 

Myungsoo looked down, not meeting his master’s eyes.

 

“I can’t take her soul. I’ve fallen in love with her.” His master rolled his eyes. “Don’t play that game with me, Myungsoo. You didn’t fall in love with her. You’ve been in love with her. I know everything about your past with her. Now, tell me what’s really on your mind. Get up, too. Have a seat here. This talk is going to last quite awhile.”

 

“I visited Jaejin today.” He began when he had seated himself. “I asked him to foresee my subject – Jangmi’s death. He explained about half of it, but the rest, he said only you could tell me.” He continued to tell him about what he saw in the water, and his master closed his eyes in concentration. Myungsoo inwardly heaved a sigh of relief. He was really listening.

 

When he had finished, silence hung in the air. It was soon broken, though. The master said, thoughtfully, “Do you believe there is no way to save her?”

 

“As far as my knowledge stretches, no.” He replied slowly.

 

“There is an alternative, Myungsoo.” Myungsoo’s eyes lit up. There was? “It is dangerous, with no guarantee that it will succeed, and you would be risking your life. It’s no joke.” His master said sternly. He didn’t want to tell the angel about this option; he had grown fond of Myungsoo and it would be a shame to let him go.

 

“Have you heard of the Maze of Chance?” He asked. Myungsoo’s head shot up. “It’s real? Jaejin had told me that the square represented it.” He exclaimed, eyes widening.

 

“Yes, yes,” His master murmured. “Very much real. You must seek the center of the maze where you will find a Goddess, she will give you test you by showing two of your heart’s greatest desires. Choose correctly and you will have passed her test, you will be granted one wish. No, you cannot wish for the girl’s life to be saved; it is beyond her control for she is the Goddess of the Heavens and Angels. You must ask her to rip your wings off. In Jaejin’s reading, this is where the halo disappears from above the wings.”

 

Myungsoo grimaced at this, having a mind battle with himself. Have his wings ripped off? A hard tug to it already felt like his wings were on fire, but to have them completely removed...

 


“The process of having an angel’s wings removed is very excruciating but if you hold onto your love for that girl... You should be able to make it.”

 

He watched as the angel’s expression grew determined. His own softened. “You must really love her. That girl – Jangmi, was it? I’d like to have a chat with her someday, see what it is about her that’s got my star angel like this.” He smiled fondly as the younger of the two blinked up at him, emotion swimming in his eyes.

 

He continued. “The process of an angel postponing another’s death will require you to be close to him or her as possible, and to be as close as you can get, you must have your wings detached to have the likeness of the image of a human. Travel the rest of the maze, find the exit and you should find a meadow of exchange flowers. Anyone who passes the maze can take only one because if the person takes more... Whatever their wish is will be jinxed in the most horrible way imaginable. That flower has only a single petal which surrounds the center. Pluck it off, name what you wish and surrender something ultimate to be able to make the exchange complete.

 

“Myungsoo,” His master paused, eyes glittering with concern. “The only known possession an angel can surrender to delay death is to... The sacrifice is great, and unless you’re willing to do this much for her and more, I suggest you just let her go.”

 

“What?” Myungsoo demanded, completely ignoring his last statement. “What must I do?”

 

A sigh. “Give up your immortality.”

 

“But master,” His eyes widened at the revelation, head falling into his hands.I must love her, he thought to himself. It’s true that in love, you would do anything.

 

“That’s not everything. Once you become human again, you will be invisible to her. Fate will be completely against you two ever meeting again in this lifetime. She will not be able to see you.”

 

Myungsoo’s face was darkened, eyes b with tears. “I see. Thank you.”

 

“Very well. You are dismissed. Also, you may need this.” A vial was tossed his way, and he caught it just in time. He bowed before he left, the gate closing very gently behind him.

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu were still outside, and when tears began falling out of the youngest boy’s eyes, Sunggyu immediately pulled him into a comforting hug.

 

“Woohyun hyung, Sunggyu hyung,” He managed to say between his sobs and sniffles, “take care of her for me when I’m gone. Please. Make sure she eats well, sleeps well, rests well, doesn’t overwork, goes out a lot, makes friends, stays happy, smiles often... Scare away bugs from her, keep her company when there’s a storm, tell her that she’s—”

 

“Ssh...” Sunggyu hushed him, rubbing the boy’s back soothingly. “We will. Right, Woo?”

 

“Of course.” Woohyun said, smiling sadly at the other boy.

 

*

 

Tears were once again gathering in the corner of his eyes and hurriedly wiped them away as he landed on her terrace, for what he knew would be the last time.

 

She was waiting inside, reading a book and she looked up when he entered, lips automatically pulling up into a smile. That smile. He was going to miss it so much. “Soo!” She squealed, abandoning her book and throwing her arms around his neck. She nuzzled into his neck, and he wrapped his arms around her, savoring the moment.

 

“You’re late today,” She pouted and took both his hands, swinging their interlaced hands in between them. He was going to miss this too. “I was waiting for you!”

 

He couldn’t find it in himself to reply but instead just looked into her eyes. She saw the sadness in his chocolate brown orbs and she worriedly cupped his face in her hands. “What’s wrong? She pulled him over to sit on the bed, taking his hand in hers again.

 

“I love you.” He said. Her eyes widened. She hadn’t heard those words from him in a long time, the last being almost eight years ago, before his death.

 

 “I love you too.” She said, pulling him into a kiss. Their lips moved against each other’s for a while, and it took almost all his self control to pull away.

 

“And I... You know I’d do anything for you.” A smile ghosted her lips. “I know. I’d do the same for you, in a heartbeat.”

 

“And that includes saving your life. Delaying your death.” Her eyes widened. “It’s possible? This is wonderful! We can be together forever!”

 

He sighed and smiled sadly. This was going to be harder than he thought. He hated letting her down. “But when you escape death, I’ll never be able to see you anymore. I will be human, like you, but fate is going to play at us and...”

 

“Wait.” She said, processing his words. “You’re going to give up your immortality? I can’t ask this of you! It’s too much, Myungsoo. Just let me die. If we’re truly in love, we’ll find each other somehow. Even in death.”

 

He pushed her back down as she rose from the bed, and tucked a stray strand of hair behind her ear. He pulled her close to him and buried his face in her hair. Her smell. He would miss that, too.

 

“You don’t have to ask. I’m going to do it either way. You can’t convince me of otherwise.”

 

“No!” She exclaimed, grabbing his arm as he tried to make his way out. “I’m not letting you get away from me. Not again. I’ll die without you. I may be living, but it’ll be without a purpose.”

 

“There will be a purpose. Live for me.” He attempted to leave, but she wouldn’t have it. “Let go of me,” He demanded, trying to get out of her grip. “Never!” She cried, holding him tighter. Tears slipped down her cheeks.

 

Jangmi thought he would stay as he pulled her to him again, but her mind grew hazy. He took a deep breath. “Goodbye...” His voice faltered as he brought his hand in front of her face, murmured a few words until she collapsed against him.

 

Myungsoo laid her on the bed, giving her a light kiss on the lips. It would be that last he would ever feel in this lifetime. He brushed the back of his hand against her cheek.

 

“I’ll always love you.”

 

*

 

Merry Christmas, my babies~ <3 I wish you all the best!

I have a total of 128 subscribers all in all now. Words cannot describe how happy I am. I love you guys so so much. I owe a lot to you.

No comments to reply to... Oh well. I need to go now. It's 2am. Good night/morning/afternoon! Once again, Merry Christmas~

P.S. To those of my readers who live in the Philippines, I may just bump into you at KPOPCON 3 or KPop Nation~ :D If you want to meet up or something, PM me and I'll tell you my number~ Bye!