Anticipation

Best. Friend.

 

Chapter 2: Anticipation

Ok Taecyeon paced the street, uneasily waiting for his cue. For the nth time he looks at his phone, hoping Tiffany wouldn't suddenly text to tell him she can't go. When no message was in sight, he pocketed his phone and continued to pace--causing him to bump into Jo Kwon. Jo scoffed as Taecyeon continued to pace after a quick apology.

"Someone's excited." Jo announced with a smirk.

"Who is?" Taecyeon asked, stopping his new hobby to look at Jo curiously.

"You are," Jo replied in a matter-of-fact tone. "So tell me, Ok Taecyeon, who did you invite?"

Taecyeon smiled involuntarily before shrugging his shoulders. Stuffing his hands back into his pocket, he looked at his phone again with a sigh. Still no sign of Tiffany.

"You're definitely dying in anticipation." Jo said with a scoff.

"Who is?" Shin Bong-sun cut in, munching on her chips as she listened in on the conversation.

"Taecyeaon is." Jo Kwon stated without elaborating.

"Ooh. Who did you invite, Taec?" Bong-sun egged.

Taecyeon shrugged again, groaning as Bong-sun jumped on his back. Jo laughed as he watched Bong-sun bully the answer out of him. In the midst of the commotion, Taec felt his phone vibrate. Brushing Bong-sun off his back he steeped away to read the message.

Oppa, I'll see you soon.

Short and sweet. And just like that, he stopped pacing--smile on his face, sighing in relief.

-

The cast gathered along the porch, everyone discussing the newly announced challenge. Taecyeon frowned thoughtfully, noting that Tiffany was not exactly the sporty type. Sure, she was no spineless wimp, but he doubted she'd enjoy sweaty activities. He was in BIG trouble.

"Me? I didn't invite someone strong because I didn’t know about that part." He blurted out.

"Did you invite your girlfriend?" Yoona asked, Taecyeon’s face showed utter shock as he speechlessly thought of an answer.

“He totally asked his girlfriend!” Sanghyun agreed as he watched Taec’s reaction.

"Do you think he invited invited Moon Geungyoung?" Madame Kim asked excitedly.

“Jjinja?” Jo asked in excited fervor, “Ooh, I really like her!”

There was an eruption of excitement. The prospective of seeing Taec with his onscreen partner excited the whole cast, but he couldn't care less. He was still debating on whether he has to warn Tiffany of the challenge. His thoughts were interrupted by a light tap on his shoulder.

“No, Moon Geungyoung can’t come,” Wonhee said looking at Taecyeon, expecting him to spill the dirt.

“My guest is a secret.” Taecyeon

"Call her." Madame Kim instructed.

“Now?” Taecyeon asked, wanting to do so just so he’s sure Tiffany would come.

Kim Wonhee was insistent, “Call her!”

“Is that alright?” He confirmed.

“Oh, let us hear her voice first.” The lady replied.

Taecyeon fidgeted with his phone nervously. Biting his finger he wonders, "What if she doesn’t come?"

"If you invited her," Yoona said confidently, "Shouldn’t she be on her way now?"

Yeoboseyo?Tiffany answered tentatively.

“Yeoboseyo” Taecyeon replied, urgency evident in his voice.

Did you call? She inquired.

“Yeah, just now.” Taecyeon continued in flawless English, "We're trying to guess who you are."

Na?Tiffany asked, confused.

"Yes you." Taecyeon replied with a grin, noting the concentrated faces as the rest of the make-shift family tried to guess.

Wouldn't they know when they hear my voice?Came the reply.

Again the cast erupted in curiosity, each trying to speculate who the English-speaking guest was. Taecyeon proceeded to ask for his friend's whereabouts only to get the vague reply of "No, I still had to go to work." He passed the phone to Sanghyun and told the older guy to ask where she was, causing comedic relief when he failed to speak satisfactory English.

"I'll see you soon." Taecyeon said with finality, hoping that Tiffany would indeed arrive.

Yes, I’ll see you soon.Tiffany replied before disconnecting the call.

He sighed heavily before reciting a silent prayer and joining the group in the playful banter as Yoona started to to talk to her guest on the phone.

-

The whole day whirled by, with him waiting impatiently for Tiffany to come. Guests came early on, but his seemed uncontactable. Even Junho, his team member, came early with the invitation coming from Jo. They've done several chores already and have finished having lunch, but Tiffany was still a no-show. Taecyeon was beginning to get worried.

"Ya, Hyung," Junho said upon seeing Teacyeon staring blankly into space as the boy idols started to make kimchi pancakes. "What's up with you?"

"Huh?" He replied hazily, earning a chuckle from both Jo and Junho.

"Ignore him, Junho," Jo said with a smirk, "He's probably still anxious about the arrival of his guest."

Taecyeon stayed silent, neither confirming nor denying the charge. Junho then proceeded to tease his hyung with the help of Jo, earning only apathetic grunts and furrowed eyebrows from the older guy. It was only when a girl in pink came in did he snap out of it.

"Annyeonghaseyo!"

And then it stops... One look at her and his misery evaporate, a smile spreading across his face like wildfire. He sighed in relief. She was fine. She was safe. She was finally here.