Chapter I

Cold, Heat & Love

In the bustling crowd of the busy airport, sat a girl waiting for her own flight. Her light brown eyes glued to the book on her lap while her right hand rested on her chin and the other holding on to her luggage as if to keep herself from falling eventhough she was already sat down. Her soft wavy brown locks sprawled carelessly on her sides and her cheeks puffed smiling at the story she seems to be engrossed in. She may seem perfectly happy on the outside but inside, her thoughts were eating her alive. She used the book as a distraction though it wasn’t helpful as her thoughts kept drifting away every now and then.

Her head was filled with sorrow as she remembered the happy times she had with her mother and her friends. And thoughts of worry and insecurity as she thought about her new home, new school and being with her dad who she hasn’t seen in the longest time. She was worried about making new friends and wether or not the people there would be accepting of her. She was distarught but she wouldn’t let anyone see it.

“Flight number XX783 to XXX” The announcement came over the intercom and the girl stood up and went to the boarding hall that read, ‘First Class’. She gave the worker her boarding pass and the attendant seemed to have froze at reading her name ‘Choi Jin Ri’ on the piece of paper. She was obviously startled but nonetheless regained her composure and smiled to Jinri. “We hope you enjoy your flight miss Choi.” The attendant said and she smiled in return while muttering a small ‘thank you’ while laughing to herself thinking of how long it has been since anyone called her by her real name. All throughout her life she’s been called Sulli and she didn’t know why but still prefered it rather than her actual name.

She went through the long hall and messaged her father telling him that she’s boarding her plane and got a ‘be safe and see you soon’ as a reply. She shut off her phone as she found her seat and placed her carry-on inside the overhead compartment. She took out her iPod and turned it on and played the music and tried to catch up on sleep since it was going to be a long flight. She was already closing her eyes when she was softly awoken by the attendant telling her to shut off her device until they were already in the air. She mouthed a soft sorry and turned off the device. She sighed as she looked out the window and decicded to read the magazines provided in front of her. She found a commercial promoting the town she was going to live in with her Dad. The town was called ‘Valle Del Sol’ which was very ironic considering the town was very humid and the sun was often hidden by the dark clouds. She laughed at the thought and placed the magazine back in its place and just decided to close her eyes again.

Not long after, the plane took off and the safety light was turned off. She grabbed her iPod again and played her music where she could just drown all her emotions and thoughts.

‘Neon jigeum eodie i biga naui Mameul aldeut naeryeo michidorok Gaseumeul jeoksine jiul su itdamyeon I biro all of my pain Nunmuri naerineun rainy day Gieogi heureuneun rainy day Deo sege biya naerige Ssodajyeora bamsae tonight Neoui heunjeogeul da jiul su itdorok’

She lost track of time just listening to her music and before she knew it,  they were already serving dinner. She straightened her seat and waited for the trolley to come to her. She chose her meal and ate quietly while enjoying some in-flight entertainment on the small TV screen infront of her. She laughed when she saw something funny and pouted cutely when anything sad happens.

She was soon done with her meal and decided to use the rest of the time to sort out her mentalities. She needed to adjust her mental and physical state to moving to a place where you’re not used to. Jinri was too used to the sunny weather and the seas where her family’s mansion was placed before it was sold off. She couldn’t help but feel a little scared in the plane as she recalled the events that took her mother and her new husband away.

She was sitting in the kitchen talking to her maid calmly when the TV program was interupted by a breaking news about a plane crash which killed the founder of multi-millionaire company, KnetCorp, Kim Seulwon and his wife Kwon Seoyah. She felt the tears stream down her face as she screamed and cried still unbelieving the situation when she clung onto her maid and cryed her eyes out. The funeral took place a few days later and she couldn’t sleep the entire time. A will was given by her step father’s co-worker stating that she would be living with her dad. She soon got tired of her own grief and decided to apply a facade tha would hide her true sorrow and always show a fake smile...

She sighed again and wiped her eyes as tears threatened to stream down her face again. She quickly reagined her composure and calmed herself down again. She soon fell asleep and so did the rest of the passengers

She ran and ran through the thick woods until she saw a spot of light. She chased after it and saw her mom. A feeling of relief and longing rushed through her as she hugged her tightly in her arms. Her mother rubbed comforting circles on her back while whispering a few incoherent words and she pulled back out of the hug and eyed her mother curiously. Seoyah smiled and spoke with her soft voice, “You will face two new roads ahead of you, neither are wrong nor right. All is left to you to choose which path you will follow.” Jinri wanted to say something but her mother turned around and walked off into the light. She wanted to yell and beg her to stay but she already disappeared.

Jinri woke up with a slight suffocating sensation and felt her cheeks wet probably from the tears. She woke up just in time for the landing announcement. She straightend her chair and shut off her iPod. She waited calmly for the plane to touch down and just stared out the window, not that there was much to see since everything was shrouded in the dark of night but she always had a calming feel while looking outside.

 

 

After about fifteen minutes, the plane landed and parked in its assigned terminal. Jinri and the other first class passengers alighted first and she walked slowly to the baggage claim. Once she found her luggage, she stepped out of the building and was greeted by her dad smiling at her and waving. She smiled once she saw him and hugged him.

“It’s been so long Sull..I barely recognize you..” Jinri’s dad said embracing his daughter tightly.

“You look a little different too dad..” She said and looked up, “No, wait, just older” She laughed and got a kiss on her cheek

“I realized” Her dad chuckled before continuing “I really missed you..”

“Missed you too” Jinri said smiling

Eventhough her parents divorced when she was young, Jinri never blamed either one of them. She still loved and cared for both her parents no matter what and sometimes doubted to admit that Seulwon was her ‘new’ dad. Although she was still depressed about her mother’s death, she felt warm and welcomed in her dad’s embrace.

She and her father walked hand in hand to his car and she loaded her luggage in the trunk. They rode to town in silence but neither of them minded since it was a comfortable type of silence. Before she knew it, they arrived at the house that she hasn’t seen in a long while. She smiled when she entered the house to find it exactly the way it was five years ago.

“Go up to your room and freshen up. Then come down for dinner.” Her father said pointing to the steps at the end of the living room.

Her room was the only thing on the second floor. It was quite large but not as big as her old house but she didn’t mind. Infact, she prefered small and cozy spaces than large luxorious ones. The walls were painted a dark shade of green and the bed was white and had pink sheets and was  placed infront of the large window pane. There was a desk with a lamp on it and a small TV on hung on the wall on the right side of the bed. Across from it was a book shelf with all her old books. And behind the door was her closet which was intergrated to the wall and beside the desk was the door to the connecting bathroom.

She unpacked her clothes and put it in her closet and picked out some sweat pants and a shirt and went to the bathroom to freshen up. Once she was done, she went down and found her dad in the kitchen taking out the roast chicken from the oven.

“Your famous recipe?” She said while smiling and leaned on the stair railings

“The one and only” Her father chuckled while taking out the potatoes and motioned her to take a seat. She looked around the house and it was really comfortable, something she could get used to. Behind the dining room was the living room and a small hall in the right corner led to her dad’s room and the guest room. A large TV was put infront of the couch an infront of it was a round glass coffee table. The dining table faced a wall with a giant potrait of her father’s parents. There were two enterances to the kitchen, one on the left side of the table and the other on the right. There wasn’t much decoration on the great bare white walls but there were large windows that would allow sunlight to rush in on daybreak.

Her thoughts were interupted when a plate was placed infront of her with a fork and knife. The roast chicken was put infront of her Dad for him to cut it and the mashed potato was next to her. She took a big spoonful of the potato and her dad gave her a slice of the chicken and poured some gravy on it. She sniffed it and the smell of strong herbs and mustard came rushing in her senses and she was reminded of her childhood here and she smiled and for once after her mom’s death, it was genuine.

“Still smells as good as always” She smiled while cutting her chicken before taking a bite.

“And by that you mean my cookinh hasn’t improved..” Her dad raised an eyebrow and smirked at her.

“...yeah..I think I should do the cooking from now on.” She laughed

Her dad just rolled his eyes and continued eating. They talked about some easy and funny topics before her dad finished eating and  called out her name.

“Sull” he said as she looked up “I know it’s not all fancy and sunny like your old home but I really hope you can learn to appreciate living here.”

She smiled before answering “It’s fine. As long as you’re here with me.”

“Always” He smiled before walking up and kissing her on her forehead. “Well. I’m crashing early tonight. You should too. First day of school tomorrow.”

“Yeah Dad.” She said before getting up and walking to her room. She prepared all her necessities for the following day and went to bed. Thoughts flooded her head as she layed down and she tried to force herself asleep but she was just too anxious. In the end, she decided to just read one of her old books to try and read herself asleep. She got up and took a book depicting about the legends of werewolves and vampires.

“Werewolves and Vampires were and always will be immortal enemies. The start of the feud between the cold blood ers and the warm half kanine creatures are still unknown.”

She skipped through the pages and randomly landed on one about vampires.

“Vampires still live today in our modern world..” She scoffed “Yeah right..” She said while rolling her eyes and continuing

“These blood ers have pale white skin and are as cold as ice. They’re eyes often bore different colors depending on their diets and their mood. They turn pitch black when the creature is filled with bloodlust and vengance. Red when.....”

Jinri started to feel sleepy and light headed and fell asleep on her desk above the book with the lights still on. Her dreams taking over her thoughts of anxiousness as she waits to welcome a new day, a new adventure and a new life..

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

(A/N):Yay! First chapter's up \(^.^)/ I know this may seem a bit boring but..eh..anyways, hope you guys enjoy and comment, subscribe and upvote!!