Alive (Krystal)

Cold, Heat & Love

Everything was perfect. Absolutely perfect. She had everything. Everything ranging from significant to the littlest of things. Basically, she had the perfect life. Things only got better when her long time boyfriend asked for her hand in marriage. She squealed and laughed in joy as he slipped the ring into her finger and cuddled under a tree on the river side. She spent the entire night staring at the simple ring as the single diamond reflected the light of the night and gleamed into her eyes. Nothing came into her mind except the thought of how much she loved the man she was leaning on.

“Key..” she said softly staring straight at the river

“Hm?” he responded while her beautiful brown locks

“When are we going to tell our parents?” Krystal asked now looking up at him

“They already know.” He smiled and re-assured her then moved his sight towards his beautiful fiancé. By then, he decides he likes the sound of that. Krystal stares at him in shock and proceeds to hit him lightly on the shoulders for always being one step ahead of her in everything. She chuckles as he makes an exaggerated hurt expression and pouts as he rubbed his shoulder.

“We should go. It’s getting late.” She says while getting up from her position. Key silently agrees and gets up not forgetting to fold the little quilt they were sitting on. With the folded cloth on his back, he caught up to Krystal who was a few steps ahead. They strolled in silence and sub-conciously came closer together when the clouds covered the moonlight and they were shrouded over a thik blanket of darkness.

As they were walking, a rumor that Krytsal heard suddenly popped in her mind. She overheard a few girls in her school talking about a student from another school who suddenly went missing with absolutely zero traces of where he went. The gnawing curiosity got the best of her and she decided to ask Key about it.

“Hey honey..” She trailed of quietly tugging at Key’s sleeve. He nodded upwards in response to show that he was listening.

“Did you hear? About.. that kid who went missing?”

“From Alesen Academy?” He inquired and reicieved a nod. “What about him?” He continued

“Do you know who he was.. or what happened to him?” Krystal asked suddenly feeling a strange chill travelling up her spine.

“Why the sudden curiosity? Huh? Are you planning to leave me?” He joked in a mock alert tone. She hit him in the arm and laughed quietly

“No! I was just curious.” She said in between soft chuckles

Key sighed before answering, “All I know is that his name is Luhan and people speculate that he’s been kidnapped by some rebel army or something trying to take over the goverment and you know.. more bull like that.”

Krystal nodded and didn’t press on any further about the matter.

As they continued walking still hand in hand, they found themselves entering a dark and narrow alley. Krystal noticed this to be the shortcut to her house but she’s never actually been there herself. A strange and eerie feeling tingled down her spine and she sub-conciously tightened her grip on Key’s arm. A small sound of pattering feet ran behind her and she jumped.

“What was that?” She whispered sounding alert

“I didn’t hear anything. What are you talking about?” He looked down at her raising his eyebrows.

The sound of loose metal pipes clashing against the ceramic roof tiles rang echoed through the tight space between the walls. Her heartbeat fastened its pace and she looked up at key only to find that he bore the same horrified expression as she does.

Run’ he mouthed. They let go of each other’s arms and dashed to the end of the alley only to realize that they took a wrong turn and ended up at a dead end. They were about to turn back when something jumped down from one of the buildings and glared right at them with bright red eyes. Its posture was too human to be an animal but the dangerous aura around the creature was too animalistic to be human. The clouds in the sky revealed a soft moonlight and revealed a boy standing in the creature’s place. His platinum blonde hair ruffled down messily covering his forehead and his skin as pale as the winter snow. Eyes that bore hunger and a complete contradiction with its red color to the porcelain skin. Pale lips holding in sharp fangs ready to rip out his prey’s flesh. Which, in this case, was them.

“Wh-who are you?” Key stuttered trying to put on a brave front but failing miserably.

“Well.. in about five seconds from now I’ll be known as the mysterious killer who took away the lives of two oh-so innocent children.” He said with spite before zooming towards Key in an inhumane speed and punctured his fangs into the boy’s neck while he screams desperately in pain and his body slowly going numb from head to toe as every ounce of life in him was being away. His skin visibly paling and his warmth lost into the biting domain of cold. He fell to the ground and Krystal found her screams caught in . The creature went to Krystal who couldn’t do anything but whimper for mercy.

He pierced his teeth into her skin and Krystal felt an unberably painful burning sensation in her body. She could literally feel every bone in her body breaking and snapping. The unpleasent sensation she was feeling made her beg for death. She wanted it to stop. The fangs that punctured her flesh was ruthless at first but for some reason, the force applied to them was decreasing and a sense of hesitation filled the creature’s eyes. He released his grip on her and stared at her innocent quivering face and immediately felt the weight of guilt pounding on him. He then wished he could take everything back but it was too late. His venom had spread.

Worry replaced his previous hunger and acting on impulse, he carried her struggling body and jumped over the houses at an impossible speed, leaving the lifeless body of the boy and took her to the only safe place he could think of – His so called “home”. The place in which he resides is nothing more than a small abandoned shack that was lit up by a faint light coming from a lantern. He placed her shaking body on a thin sheet of cloth and all he could do was wait by the edge of the room in painful and utter regret for he could imagine the pain she was going through.

“P-please” Krystal whispered garnering the attention of the human-like creature making him look up from his fetal position against the wall. “J-just.. Just kill me.” She continued desperately in broken whimpers.

“I-I’m really sorry” He responded back in hopelessness and sorrow written all over his face and voice. Krystal felt like she was in hell.

Hours passed but she didn’t have any conception of exactly how many had passed. The sun was starting to rise and by then, Krystal had shed her absolute last tear from her life time. She no longer felt pain, instead, she felt nothing. Her nerves were completely numb and all she felt was cold. A few fleeting moments had passed and a stabbing feeling in jerked her up from her sleeping position. She grabbed her neck and looked around the strange room she was in only to find it completely empty. Right on cue, the door was pushed open and in came the boy from last night holding what looked like a small translucent cup with a dark colored looking liquid on the inside. He approached her and handed her the cup in his hand.

“Drink. It’ll make the pain go away” He said carefully stepping away from her. Without hesitation, she chugged down the strange liquid that surprisingly – to her, tasted good despite the very uncanny looking texture. The pain in was gone and she looked at the boy who was sitting accross from her who was just.. staring.

“What.. was that?” She asked feeling unsure.

“Blood” He answered frankly and made her jerk up. “You’re telling me that you just gave me blood!?” She screamed and stood up walking towards him.

“Nothing else would’ve quenched your thirst. Well, except human blood but it would be too difficult to hunt for them at this time of day” He countered standing up. Krystal felt confused. What was it that she was feeling? She felt so weak but at the same time felt like she could lift up a boulder with a single finger. “W-why not?” She asked calming down.

“Well..” He said scratching his neck unsurely and looking at her only to find that she was looking at him, silently urging him to go on. “You’re a vampire” he stated and looked down closing his eyes ready for the sudden outburst but what he heard next really took him by surprise. A giggle. He looked up and stared at her incredulously.

“You’re joking right?” She said with a tone of disbelief. Luhan stayed quiet and picked up what looked like a broken shard of glass and threw it to her.  In her own state of surprise, she caught it with an intense amount of accuracy. She looked at the shard and found it to be a mirror but what she saw staring back at her wasn’t her. It didn’t look like the same girl she was just hours before. Her brown hair turned into a violent shade of red and her deep and dark eyes were replaced with an even darker shade that made the distinction between her iris and pupils lost in its own context. For about a second or two, her eyes glowed a bright orange before she threw the mirror in her hand to the ground and ignored it as it smashed to pieces.

The boy, who was watching her intently, found a sense of similarity between the latter and himself. He couldn’t believe what he heard when he was kidnapped by a group of reckless new-borns who forgot to kill him and turned him into what he was now. He ran away from them right after the shocking revelation of his new-found form. He found this old shack and tried so hard to control his hunger but the lust that burns in new-borns for human blood was untamable. He killed and took so many lives of most-likely innocent strangers that he’d lost count. He was a monster and he knew it.

“No. No. No. This can’t be happening!” Krystal shouted “I’m supposed to graduate soon and get married and..” She cut herself off at the mention of her engangement and remembered the cruel deed that the boy. No. The animal in front of her had done to her loved one. In a state of zealous anger, she charged for the thing in front of her but only managed to create a gaping hole in the wall when he jumped out of the way.

“Now hold on a second there..” he stuttered wearily

“You took everything away me!” She screamed and pulled her fist at him but yet again failing as he slid downwards accross the now open shed. She chased him around that small little wooden space until all the corners of the walls were destroyed and left them both buried under ruined stacks of wood. A few seconds of silence passed before the both of them simultaneously jumped up and ended up at opposite ends of the ruins if the shack.

Krystal had her back turned and Luhan was boring holes into her back. Only now did Krystal notice her surroundings. She was in the forest that surrounded the little town she was from. Tall trees blocking the occasional sunlight that would appear through the clouds.

“What’s your name?” She asked not looking at him

“Luhan. And you?” He asked back not looking away.

“Krystal. Remember it. Because some day, I will find you and.. I will kill you. And I want to hear you scream my name for mercy while I do it.” She said before running off into an unknown direction. She kept running and felt the cool breeze hitting her face and through her hair. She reached the edge of the forest and stopped when there was sunlight glaring at the white cliff in front of her. She’s heard about vampire myths and how they burn in sunlight. She decided to test that theory. She took baby steps towards the light and felt a slight warmth. But not one that would kill you but instead one that made her feel calm. She looked down at her arms and saw that they were glittering. Glimmering in the light like diamonds and twinkled like the stars in the night sky. One glow though, really caught her eye. Her finger. Her ring. Key’s ring that showed how much he truly loved her. But looking at it now only gave her pain. It reminds her of the things she can no longer have. A life.

She stood still by the edge and looked at the ring carefully before removing it slowly off her finger. She kissed the ring and cupped it above her now non-existent heart. She closed her eyes and reminisced all the moments she had with him. The good, the bad, the amazing and the last. She opened her eyes and glanced at it one last time before she dropped it from the cliff and watched as the ring fell into the clear blue water below it  with an inaudible splash and allowed it either to settle by the bottom or wafted away by the soft waves that roll above it. This was it, the end of her lifetime but the start of something new where she never felt more alive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

-EPILOGUE-

She often liked to watch how her family progressed past the point of the hysterical moment in time when they were searching frantically for their missing daughter. From far away points such as discreetly in a bench in public places or by the roof-top when they were gathered together wishing so much to be able to join them. However, as time passed, her family grew older and she still stayed her beautiful young self. It hurt, to say the least but there was nothing she could do.

As fate would have it, each member started going away and moving on. The last to leave was her oldest sister, Jessica. She stayed at an old people’s home and just the moment before Krystal sensed the little remains of life she had in her, she visited the house and saw her dear sister hooked to numerous tubes and machines struggling to keep her alive but Krystal sensed the little time she had left. When she came she was asleep. Her wrinkly old self asleep in a straight position. She came nearer to the hospital bed and placed her hand on Jessica’s cheek. The latter’s wrinkly eyes fluttered slowly open and a toothless smile came upon her face in seeing her younger sister again. Krystal wasn’t worried nor was Jessica scared. She didn’t have long and would’ve liked to savour all the good times no matter how strange they were. Krystal stayed until the dead of night until the monitor that tracked her sister’s heartbeat died down into a flat line in her sleep. She got up from her chair and kissed Jessica’s forehead before saying a soft ‘goodbye’ and made her way out the window. Not long after, the nurses rushed in and took her away. Krystal left the town never to return.

Krystal had killed and took a numerous amount of lives but she wasn’t reckless. She took the lives of those that were deemed evil by society. By the time she was full, the police would find that their main suspect for a kind of heinous crime lying dead with his or her neck dislocated.

She often changed names and identities only to abandon them once she felt like she has lingered at a certain place for too long.

Eventhough she killed criminals and bad people, the number of deaths were still too much to be ignored both by human officials and vampires. The authorities garnered interest in her and took her under arrest to take her to a ‘court’ where she was accused of reckless murders and putting their kind in danger. She later found out that all this time she had been considered rogue and illegal. But since she was blindly unaware of anything that was going on in her own world, the officials spared her and took her under custody of two males under the name of Max and Yunho.

They took her home and introduced her to a boy. His name was Luhan. It took her decades before she kept away the urge to kill him and all that time he feared her more than anything. Afterwards though, they became the best of friends and deemed each other as siblings.

In all honest truth, Krystal felt embarrassed about her life, that was why, if anyone asked, she would alter the story here and there to make it seem as innocent as possible..

 

 

 

(A/N) Sorry for the stupid ending.. and.. well.. the Twilight (?) references..