Chapter VII

Cold, Heat & Love

 

The rest of the day for Jinri was spent trying to figure out what to wear. She needed to look good since it's technically a first date for her and Luhan. Well, if you consider being together with his sister a date but for now, that was besides the point. She just wanted to look good. Period. Jinri ransacked her clothing selection and almost regretted giving away her old dresses. Almost. She didn't think she would want a constant reminder of her mother's absence inside her closet.
 
It's times like this that she misses her mom the most since she would always be there to help her in the middle of a clothing crisis and pick out what's best for her. She didn't realise it, but hot tears started prickling her eyes and streamed down her cheeks. She sat down in beside her closet and leaned on the wall. She hid her face in her hands and sobbed quietly. She didn't hear the loud footsteps coming up the stairs nor did she hear her door being opened.
 
"Sull, take-out's he-" Yonghan stopped mid-sentence when he saw his daughter curled up into a ball against the wall. Jinri looked up and tried to quickly wipe the tears off her face but failed miserably as fresh ones started flowing down again.
 
"What's wrong?" Yonghan asked as he came down to sit next to Jinri and enveloped her in a hug. Jinri only clung to him and continued to bawl her eyes out, this time louder and much more obvious. 
 
"Shh..It's okay..calm down.." He said as he rubbed comforting circles on his daughter's back.
 
"I-I m-miss her" Jinri choked out in between sobs. Yonghan just kept quiet and continued to rub her back. He wasn't sure what he needed to do. He wasn't exactly the best father in the world - that, and the fact that he hasn't seen his daughter grow up so he didn't know what could comfort her - which was part of the reason why Seoyah left him in the first place.
 
He silently sighed in relief as Jinri started to calm down and the loud cries turned into soft whimpers and sniffles. It was then that Yonghan realised the mess in Jinri's closet as he scanned the room while still embracing Jinri. Jinri pulled away from her dad and wiped the remnants of the tears with her sleeves.
 
"What were you doing anyways?" Yonghan asked looking at Jinri with questioning eyes. Jinri pondered for a while before answering. She couldn't say she was going on a date but she couldn't say she was going to hang out with her friends either since she seems to be overly worked up on what to wear.
 
"Right..about that.." She giggled lightly in a "guilty" manner before continuing, "Some of my friends invited me to a small party tomorrow at their house." She paused before asking, "So can I go?" She asked looking at Yonghan with pleading and hopeful eyes and a smile that screamed "Please~".
 
"I don't see why not." Yonghan said shrugging and received a bone-crushing hug in response. "But be sure to be back before ten." He said between difficult breaths. Jinri finally let go and got up.
 
"Take-out's here?" She asked while rubbing the invisible dust off her jeans.
 
"Yup" Yonghan said getting up and exiting the room with Jinri trailing behind him.
 
Jinri immediately smelt the scent of grease and unhealthiness in the air and that made her realise just how hungry she was. Yonghan opened the container of crispy fried chicken and Jinri immediately dashed to the dining table skipping a stair every step she took and ran for the bucket. She took out the fries and ketchup out of the paper bag and grabbed a piece if chicken and quickly gorged on it like it was the best thing she ever tasted.
 
"Slow down! We have twelve pieces all to ourselves.." Yonghan chuckled when he saw his daughter's chicken almost finished and her face smeared with oil. Jinri swallowed before answering. She caught the amused and judgemental stare her father was giving her and glared back.
 
"What? I had a long day and I'm starving." She whined while looking away from her dad. Yonghan just chuckled and took his own piece. Instead of sitting down, he went to the sofa and sat down.
 
"Wanna watch a movie?" He asked turning around to look at Jinri.
 
"Sure" she swallowed again before answering. She threw the bone away and took another piece along with a napkin and went to sit next to her dad.
 
"So what do you want to watch?" Yonghan asked as he clicked a few buttons on the remote. Jinri thought for a while before answering.
 
"Anything but romance and vampires." She said nodding to herself
 
"Alright" Yonghan nodded and picked a movie.
 
They ended up watching an old Bond movie from the 1990s which she surprisingly enjoyed thoroughly. All the while she and her dad kept on munching on pieces of chicken. She lost count on how much she ate but it wasn't even half way through the movie that she felt disappointed when she felt the empty bucket that was, at some point, conveniently placed between her and Yonghan. 
 
She ended up hugging a small pillow throughout the rest of the movie and grabbing a small blanket from her dad's room.
 
It was seven o'clock by the time the movie ended and she still felt uncharacteristically hyper. She had no idea where this sudden burst if energy came from. Maybe it was the fact that she was excited that she would be going out with Luhan tomorrow or it was the cafeteria coffee. She chose the former.
 
"Hey dad?" She asked when Yonghan was getting up from the couch. He turned around and hummed in response.
 
"Could we..I don't know..go around town or something? I've been here for more or less a week now and I have no idea what this area looks like." She asked looking up at Yonghan expectantly. 
 
He smiled before answering, "I thought you'd never ask." He grabbed his sweater from the coat rack and took his keys from his room. He gestured to the door and made a small hand gesture while saying a small "C'mon". Jinri followed after him and went outside.
 
Yonghan locked the door behind him and went through his front yard. He surprised Jinri when he turned away from his car and continued walking.
 
"We're not using the car?" Jinri asked curiously.
 
"Well you said you wanted to see the town.. What better way to enjoy it than taking a nice stroll and it's such a beautiful night." Yonghan explained as-a-matter-of-factly.
 
Jinri looked up and saw that it really was a beautiful night. The night sky was clear so the stars above could be clearly seen and the full moon was out which made the area underneath be completely flooded by it's light. The soft sounds of crickets could be heard along the neighbourhood and the usually scary feeling sounds of hooting owls and howling wolves gave the area a certain form of calmness that Jinri has never felt before. The soft wind that blew across her hair and the scarfs that she and Yonghan was wearing.
 
The two continued walking along the neighbourhood until they reached an intersection. Yonghan stopped and pointed out to Jinri that to the left was the way to the highway leading towards the city and to the right was the town's central plaza. They went right and continued to walk straight.
 
Jinri was absolutely amazed when she reached the plaza. There was a large fountain in the centre with large abstract colourful statues standing tall from the centre of it and around it. The plaza had a circular structure that was built around the fountain. There were colourful lights that hung on ropes across the tall telephone and light posts. The roads were made from a kind of cream coloured bricks and the buildings around it were made of the same thing.
 
They walked up to a small stand near the fountain that had a sign that just said, "The Best In Town". Jinri felt confused as to what this stall was selling. She didn't have time to think since her dad was already paying and handed her styrofoam cup with steam coming up from the mouth. 
 
"What's this?" She asked her dad while questioningly staring at the cup.
 
"Warm Lychee Milk Tea and just like it says.." He said and pointing at the stall sign, "It's the best in town." Jinri was a bit doubtful and sniffed the "concuction" slightly. She drank it when the strong scent of freshly made tea hit her nostrils. One gulp was all it took for her to be completely convinced that that was her new favourite drink. She felt the perfect blend of lychee and tea leaf mixed with the warmth of the drink running through was the perfect contradictor to the cool autumn breeze. She downed the drink less than two minutes later. Yonghan chuckled a bit and Jinri sent a glare his way.
 
"You really like it huh?" He asked and received a nod in response.
 
Afterwards, they trailed along the plaza following each and every path trying out the local food stands that sell their twists on famous types of food such as Duck burgers, smoke salmon fresh salad served in small paper bowls on the street-side. They circled the plaza once before heading off to the next district.
 
Jinri followed silently and listened attentively as her dad pointed out the important landmarks of the area and the places. Apparently, the central plaza was the best place to get food and the local market was there too. The next district they headed to, named Louis-Jean Square was the prefect place to look for clothing and other fashion oriented accessories. It looked just like the rest of the town with it's old-fashioned styling but the only difference was, each and every building had large window panes showcasing mannequins with different types of clothing and dresses along with their accessories.
 
"You hungry?" Yonghan suddenly asked when they were walking along the district. Jinri was about to say no when her stomach growled rather loudly and she smiled a bit feeling embarrassed. 
 
"Apparently.." She chuckled
 
"Alright! Lets go.." Yonghan said excitedly
 
"Are we going back to that plaza?" She asked
 
"No..I'm taking you to the pier. They have excellent seafood there." He said as he continued to lead they way.
 
"Alright.." She answered trailing off and continued to admire the many decorations and clothing.
 
Not long after, they reached the shore and headed towards the boardwalk that extended out to the sea. There were many little booths and photo-boxes along the pier accompanied by some buildings that sold different types of serving food. There was a place that sold different varieties of seafood platters, a seafood grill and even a fast-food restaurant devoted entirely to serving seafood.
 
"What are you hungry for?" Yonghan asked while he looked at the restaurants in front of him.
 
"I don't know..I think we should just go with the conventional seafood platter.. Seems more fitting and it's really crowded too so I'm guessing it's good." Jinri replied looking at the said restaurant.
 
"Alright then.." Yonghan said walking towards the restaurant. They were quickly seated eventhough there were alot of people waiting to be seated outside. They decided to share the large platter which contained assorted types of smoked fish, shrimp and a boiled king crab perched right on top of the mountain of shredded ice.
 
They quickly finished their meal and payed. They took the bus to get home since it would be too far to walk and they didn't feel like walking with bloated stomachs. They reached home at about ten and Jinri was surprised that they spent that much time outside. Though she didn't mind, she needed this kind of bonding time with her dad, one which she never got before with her stepfather since he was always too busy with work. She was happy that her dad didn't try too hard. He just stayed himself and that's okay with her, because Jinri loves her father and he's the only family she has now..
 
____________________________
 
(A/N) Yay! Another update..maybe you could call it a double update? I'm not sure since there was a pretty big time gap between this and the last chapter. Also, this is my first original mobile chapter written with the help of the Werdsmith app. I highly recommend it to those writers on the go. Anyways, this is just a filler chapter for you guys to get to know the area in which the story takes place, the real fun starts in the next update (...hopefully --").. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and don't forget to comment, subscribe and upvote!
 
P.S. I'm not sure why I put so much detail on food in this chapter..I think I was just craving things to satisfy my empty belly..