Chapter II

Cold, Heat & Love

The cold morning mist shrouded over Valle del Sol and the light of dawn slowly rising from the horizon. The sunlight reflected on the large fresh-water lake in the centre of town and the soft chirping of birds could be heard all throughout the small town slowly awakening it’s citizens from their slumber.

Jinri heard a very loud ringing next to her and carelessly moved her hands to find her phone on her desk without looking up. She flicked her finger on the screen to shut off the alarm and got up lazily rubbing her eyes. Her hair was unbearably messy and puffy while her eyes had dark circles under them all courtesy of not getting comfortable sleep the other night. She sat up on her chair for a while to rid of any remaining sleepiness before standing up and headed to the kitchen.

“Coffee’s in the kitchen” She heard her dad say when she went down the stairs.

“Good morning” She said a bit sleepily when she saw him on the couch reading a newspaper while sipping on his hot cup of joe. She went to the kitchen and poured herself some coffee. She sat down next to her dad and just drank quietly.

“What time does school start?” Jinri asked

“At half past eight.”

“What about the bus?” She continued

“Seven thirty” Her dad replied not looking up from the newspaper.

She looked at the clock on the wall and lazily made her way back upstairs. She went to her bathroom and took a shower. She came out about twenty minutes later with a towel wrapped around her body and another one wrapped around her damp hair. She made quick strides over to her closet and started looking for clothes. Jinri always thought that first impressions were the most important in a relationship and the impression she was trying to create was more to the down-to-earth and friendly instead of her usual ‘My dad’s a multi millionaire and I love pink, love me’ kind of impression she thought her old clothes used to make to other people.

After long minutes of searching, she decided on a wearing a black shirt under a red and black checkered button-down with the buttons undone to show off the print, paired with black skinny jeans and brown flat boots with a fold of winter feathers on the top most part of it. She decided to just carelessly let her hair fall pulling one side to the right and tucking the strands on her left side behind her ear.

She came down the stairs and grabbed an apple before kissing her dad goodbye and ran towards the bus stop. She waited patiently for the bus to arrive and surprisingly no other students came to the bus stop with her. She just shrugged off the strange so called "behaviour" of the town and waited again patiently. Not long after, the bus came and she stepped inside. Jinri chose the seat at the most back and took out her iPod and listened to her music while staring outside.

She found the town to be a little, adorable. It looked like one of those towns you would find in children’s fairytales. Most of the roads in the centre of the town was made of old fashioned white bricks and the buildings were made of the almost the same material with most of them having old-fashioned wooden paneled windows and if it weren’t for the lights, she could easily feel that she was back to the thirteenth century.

The bus came to a stop infront of the school and Jinri was stunned that the school looked absolutely modern. The walls were made of a stainless-steel type of material and the windows were large showing off the halls of white walls with marbled tilings. Looking at the town, she thought that the school might look something like an ancient castle or temple with the same light-cream bricks like the rest of the town.

She went down and thanked the bus driver and made her way to the front entrance. She could feel glances and stares being thrown towards her and could hear the sounds of soft whispering and murmurs here and there. Jinri absolutely dreaded the fact that she enrolled in the school in the middle of the semester which makes it harder to start off fresh.

Walking through the large front entrance, she could see a boy smiling and waving at her. The boy was tanned and slightly toned and Jinri could take the boy for handsome. She glanced curiously as the boy went closer and she saw it, those lips, all to familiar and she immediately lit up.

“Kai!” She slightly screamed not wanting to make a scene. She ran toward him and threw her arms around him.

“Hi Sull” He chuckled slightly returning the hug

“You’ve changed and..You’ve grown taller than me!?” She whined looking up and down at her childhood friend

“What? Mad that you can’t pat nor make fun of me anymore?” Kai said in a teasing manner and got hit in the arm playfully and slightly winced. “What was that for?” He said with fake hurt and rubbing the spot where she hit.

“Nothin’..I just missed you” She said patting him on the head while laughing.

While thay were chatting, another boy went up to them. Said boy was extremely tall and had a thick head of dirty blonde locks and thick eyebrows that always look furrowed giving off the expression that he’s always pissed but the slight smirk on his face as she approached Jinri and Jongin gave it all away. Jinri noticed it in the corner of her eye and glanced curiously before realization struck.

“OH MY GOD..Kris!!” She screamed and hugged the giant in a suffocating embrace that was now standing beside Kai.

“Missed you too Jinri.” Kris said

“You’ve changed..alot. What happened to the kid who couldn’t smile?” She asked in a teasing manner and Kris just giggled in response.

“So do you still go by Kris or does everyone call you Yifan now?” She asked after letting Kris go

“No, people still call me Kris.” He said while smiling down at her.

The bell rung interupting their conversation signaling it was time for first period. Apparently, she had Algebra with Kris and she felt a sense of relief that at least she knew one person in class. She talked to the teacher and he told her to sit in the only empty seat left in class, which was right beside Kris.

First period went by in a flash and second period was chemistry. Jinri became slightly worried because neither Kai nor Kris attended it along with her. The teacher introduced her to the class and she was partnered with a girl who had long brown hair, puffy cheeks and rounded eyes. She made her way to the table and sat herself down. She saw a hand extended out to her and she glanced up seeing the girl smile. She took her hand and they introduced each other.

“Hi! I’m Victoria. I’m a friend of Kai’s and Kris” The girl said shaking Jinri’s hand

“Oh. Is that so? I’m Jinri, but everyone calls me Sulli.” She said with a grin on her face

“Well it’s very nice to meet you Sulli.Kai’s been talking about you once he heard you were coming.” Victoria said with a slightly amused yet annoyed voice.

“Really?” Jinri asked curiously

“Yeah. He wouldn’t shut up. At all.” Victoria replied putting emphasis on the ‘at all’.

Jinri let go of her hand realizing that she was still holding it. They did the experiments layed out on the board and before they knew it, It was lunch time. Jinri was about to walk off when she felt Victoria tug at her clothes.

“Join us for lunch?” Victoria asked sounding hopeful

Jinri nodded and found herself dragged by Victoria to the lunch hall. The cafeteria was extremely busy as students rushed to the food stands and the lunch lady bombarded with orders. Amidst the wild crowd, Victoria and Jinri found Kai waving at them happily signaling them to sit down. Jinri sat between Jongin and Kris and ate her apple silently. Soon, a girl with short blonde hair wearing a black leather jacket, and studded boots with camoflauge pants came by on a lollipop. Jinri would’ve mistakened her for a guy if it wasn’t for the blue eyeliner on her right eye.

“Ah. Amber. So glad you could grace us with your precense.” Kris said sarcastically

“Shut it. Yifan.” The girl apparently named Amber spat towards Kris who clenched his fists annoyed

“Jinri, this is Kris’ sister, Amber.” Kai said

“Sup’” The girl said reaching out her hand and Kris rolled her eyes at her sister’s boysterous behaviour

“Jinri, But I prefer to be called Sulli.” Jinri said grabbing Amber’s hand  and shaking it.

“You’re Yonghan’s daughter right?” Amber asked Jinri while sitting down beside Victoria.

“Yeah..” Jinri said quietly

“So what brings you here to Del Sol? I’ve never seen you around.” Amber asked Jinri curiously. Kris kicked Amber’s foot underneath the table and glared at her. “Ouch! What?” Amber asked pissed and Kris just gave her another death glare tilting his head towards Jinri.

“Umm..I moved back here, when..my mom and her new husband..d-died..” Sulli choked out a bit.

Kris gave Amber a See what you did? Kind of look and Amber gave him an apologetic expression.

“Oh. I’m sorry for your loss” Amber said looking at Jinri sympathetically

“I-It’s fine.” Sulli waved her off.

Everyone in the table started eating their lunch. It was especially quiet due to the precense of a new person but it wan’t awkward. It was just a comfortable silence. Kai was eating silently when he caught something in the corner of his eye. He turned his head towards the cafeteria entrance and saw a boy with blonde hair and features resemblant to that of a manly girl and a girl with red hair with a cocky expression on her face. Luhan. Kai thought silently.

He saw Luhan staring at Jinri and he slightly tugged at Krystal. Krystal turned her head and smirked. Noticing this action, Kai wrapped an arm around Jinri and held her close protectively. The others noticed this action and saw what Kai was staring at. They turned their heads and saw Krystal and Luhan walking passed still looking at Jinri and a smirk playing across Krystal’s face. They all glared at them before Krystal scoffed and turned her head tugging Luhan along with her.

“K-Kai, what are you doing?” Jinri asked feeling slightly choked

“Oh, sorry, nothing..I just, just, missed hugging you close.” Kai said pathetically who mentally slapped himself on the forehead.

“O-kay..” Jinri trailed off feeling a little strange

Jinri turned her head around to scan through the cafeteria to see what everyone was staring at when she was practically head-locked by Kai. She scanned the lunch tables and saw one which wasn’t occupied before. She nudged at Kris and asked, “Who are they?” Nodding at Krystal and Luhan’s direction.

“Uhh..Those guys are Luhan and Krystal. They’re supposed to be adopted syblings.” Kris said not wanting to reveal anything more

“What makes them so special?” Jinri asked becoming more curious.

“Nothing..It’s just that they were adopted by the Jungs. They’re like the richest family in the Valley.” Victoria suddenly chirped in.

Jinri nodded in understandment and turned her head towards the two strangers to find them directly staring at her and she found Luhan stare at her to long for comfort. She just decided it best to turn back and ignore them but she still felt Luhan and Krystal’s stares burning holes right through her.

The rest of the school day went by fast for Jinri as she couldn’t keep her mind from a certain blonde boy and red headed girl. She went home and ate dinner before doing her school work and headed off to sleep. As she lay in bed, she couldn’t help but notice how pale Luhan and Krystal looked and how their eyes seem to stand out than any other part of their facial features, Red, Jinri thought. They looked too natural to be lenses but to strange to be natural. She went to sleep that night with a single question lingering in her thoughts. What are they?

_______________________________________________________

(A/N) Okay, second chapter's up. ^^ And a heads up you guys, I might not be able to update alot cause I'm busy with life. Maybe I'll update regurlarly after about two week or so. And Thanks to all my subscribers! You guys mean alot to me. Anyway, see you in my next update!! (I hope)