Chapter X

Cold, Heat & Love

Luhan and Jinri stopped right in the middle of the forest where a small trail seemed to lead to a kind of open space. When Jinri was put down, she couldn't help but reminisce the place to be utterly familiar. She was snapped out of her thoughts when Luhan gently touched her arm.

"Follow me." He said walking along on the narrow dirt trail. Jinri followed silently and went under the tree branches bent towards each other to form a kind of arch that opens through to the area. Jinri found her breath stuck in her wind pipes when she saw the view that unfolded before her eyes. A long span of grassy fields and sloped green lands filled the area and above it grew small but numerous sprouts of dandelions that sometimes wafted away with the soft breeze that annually arrive in it's wake from the direction of the narrow river that came from the tip of the mountain and streamed towards what Jinri could calculate, the central plaza of the town.

Luhan walked his way towards the centre of the field and sat down. Jinri kept her eyes trained on him until he turned his head only to see Jinri just standing there. He nodded his head as a sign for her to have a seat. She slowly made her way to where he was and sat down across him cross-legged while he layed down on his back with his hands behind his head and his right leg folded at an angle. He closed his eyes and felt calm as the sunlight greeted his pale skin and the light shone through his closed eyelids.

Jinri gazed in amazement as Luhan's skin glimmered in the sunlight. The shines and glows glittering on his body like small little diamonds placed on a sunny beach where light reflects even the smallest grain of sand. To her, he was absolutely beautiful.

"What is this place?" She asked to break the no-less awkward silence. Luhan opened his eyes and turned to Jinri as he lifted his upper his body while his arms gave it support. His words however, were caught in his throat when he saw Jinri looking absolutely peaceful in the sun. Her long flowing hair going with the breeze and the sun rays that accentuate its honey-brown color and her gorgeous face looking straight into the light. She moved from her initial position to imitate his. To Luhan, he was glittering with the skin of a monster but she was glowing with the grace of an angel. He didn't realize that he'd been staring and was snapped out of his gaze when he saw Jinri's face right up in front of his.

"Are you okay?" She questioned in concern. Luhan only managed to grasp a few words that came out of since he had his focus completely on her luscious lips that he remembers exactly what they taste like. A delicious brew of strawberry and the alluring scent of blood coming from her blushing cheeks. They were indeed like a drug to him and he had the urge to claim them again only to snap out of it when he remembered that he had been asked a question. He slowly looked away and gazed straight towards the shimmering body of water in front of him before answering.

"This is where usually come to find peace and quiet. I mostly come here to think or..when I'm feeling stressed." He finally answered not moving his eye sight. "No one knows about this place. Well, at least not until today." He trailed off.

Jinri paused for a moment before replying. "Well, then I'm honored." She smiled and moved to lay down next to him and shut her eyes. Luhan watched her for a second before he did the same. As his clothed back made contact with the rough grass, he immediately turned his head to look at Jinri in her mock-sleeping state.

Jinri craned her head and opened her eyes to find a pair of bright yellow eyes staring back at her. Those eyes that she saw, were filled with unspoken emotion. Grief, sorrow, happiness.. But one she could clearly make out was one. One so powerful that it tramples out all the rest. One that clearly shows through the caring gaze he was giving her and one that reciprocates her own feelings. It was that moment she knew that he loved her back.

They sub-consciously tilt their heads closer together and in a second, Luhan felt soft warm lips against his own and the intoxicating scent that he absolutely adored snared his senses. The kiss was soft and innocent but it showed absolutely everything they felt for one another. No words necessary. Because this moment was just perfect.

They pulled apart after a few seconds and a small smile blossomed in both their faces. Jinri looked away and moved her sight to the blinding sunlight but Luhan didn't stop looking at her. Jinri's face contorted into confusion and something that showed a bit of frustration.

"What's wrong?" Luhan inquired, concerned.

"I was just thinking, about what Naeun said.. " She replied trailing off

"What about it?" Luhan asked back while he fiddled with his fingers and his face slightly fell since this was a topic he was hoping not to touch.

"If you can eat human food.. Why do u crave blood?"

Luhan paused before answering, "It's like.. Candy for humans. You eat it..yet it doesn't do anything for you. You still need meat and veggies and other forms of nutrition.   It's the same thing for us. We eat human food but we still need blood."

"But my question is.. Why?" Jinri asked again sounding unsatisfied.

Luhan chuckled before countering Jinri's question, "Are you always this thorough?"

"I've always been meticulous, never liked anything without knowing as many details as possible. Which explain my uncanny determination to find answers." Jinri said with a shrug and smiled softly at her last sentence.

"Well then," Luhan smiled, "To answer your first question. I guess there are somethings that science nor mythological theories can explain."

"Fine, I'll let it slide this second time." Jinir jokingly scoffed

"Second time?" Luhan asked incredulously

"You're still my greatest mystery." Jinri answered softly sitting up and twiddled with her hair turning her sight right into Luhan's. 

"Well I'm an open book. Ask away." He said pointedly looking back at Jinri and smiling. He adjusted his position to mimic Jinri's and sat facing her. She hesitated for a second before the thought of never being able to receive an opportunity like this ever again popped into her head. She looked down again and asked.

"What year did you turn?"

"1899. I was kidnapped by a group of revolutionists who wanted to take over this world and make our species the majority and enslaving humans. I escaped and tried to live on my own but I wasn't strong enough. But..maybe even now, I still don't have the strength." Luhan looked down feeling ashamed of his past and his current state. Jinri held his hand and rubbed circles on his palm as an effort to comfort him. It seemed to work as he immediately looked up and faced Jinri with a soft smile blooming on his face.

"Next question?" Jinri chuckled and asked again.

"What happened to the revolution army?"

"Well, their plans were flawed to begin with. They were little in number and didn't have a chance to begin with. The authorities eventually caught up to them and had them executed."

"Do they always do this? The authorities I mean.."

"They execute anyone or anything that threatens to expose or exterminate our kind."

"Do you support them?"

"No. Their actions are extremely brash and won't listen to a word their convicts have to say." Jinri nodded understandingly before continuing her so called "interrogating" session.

"Do all vampires have powers?"

"No. But it just so happens that my entire family has them."

"What can they do?"

Luhan chuckled disbelievingly before inquiring, "You want me to list them one by one?" And Jinri nodded

"Lets see,  Daehyun can control the density of any object. He can make plastic as dense as diamonds and diamonds as pure as water. Sunny's and Naeun's powers are sort of interlinked with each other. Naeun can manipulate sensations while Sunny can control emotions. Krystal can see the future but it gives her pain every time she experiences it so she tries to suppress as much as she can."

"What about you?"

Luhan laughed softly before answering, "The guys call me the walking projector. I can 'scan' other people's thoughts and project them outside. So if Himchan read someone's mind, I could expose it to the world if he wouldn't tell me. It's a really good threat but what is that I can't keep it to myself."

Jinri chuckled and kept quite not knowing what to ask anymore before something clicked in her mind. "Did Krystal see me coming?"

"Yeah. She did and I remember it clearly like it was yesterday."

"When?"

"1994"

Jinri smiled sadly before hanging her head low. It was strange how Krystal saw her coming on the day of her parent's wedding. 'Maybe it was a sign..' She thought silently. 

"What's wrong?" Luhan asked concern written all over his face

"Project it.."

"What?" Luhan questioned in slight shock

"Project my thoughts.." She said pointedly. Luhan was about to refuse but seeing the determined expression on Jinri's face, he felt the need to comply. He placed two fingers on Jinri's head and pulled away slowly then continued to twirl them in circles in the air before spreading all his fingers with his arm above his head and a bright film of light surrounded the both of them.

Scenes of Jinri's childhood played on the light screen like a silent movie. They seemed happy but to Jinri, it was all just melancholic memories that she wanted to keep hidden away and to have it be displayed right in front of her made her tears fall without stopping. She thought that she'd gotten over her mom's death but she was proven deadly wrong.

All this time, Luhan stared in amazement at looking at someone's human life. He missed it. Alot.. But he could never have it back. He began to question Krystal's first vision of her. Was she willing to let all of this go? He was snapped out from 'her' reverie when he heard sniffling beside him. He saw tears decorate Jinri's puffy cheeks and her face was completely red. The memories stopped flowing and the light screen disappeared. Luhan didn't know what to do and acting on instinct, he went closer to her and hugged her cupping her head on his non-beating heart. He whispered infinite apologies into her ears in complete regret that he complied to her own request.

Jinri felt broken. Those memories were just too much. Even though her dad was still alive, she still felt that something was incomplete in her life and as  Luhan whispered incoherent chatters into her ear, she reminisced on everything that's happened. Because of Luhan, she could temporarily forget. Because of Luhan, she felt that everything might be okay. And she thought that with Luhan, she can finally start anew..

 

 

 

(A/N) Well here's chapter 10 so I hope you like it. Anyways.. I hit 60 subs!! \(^.^)/ Thank you all to those who subscribed and don't forget to subscribe, comment and upvote if you haven't already and if you like this story!