38: On the Eve

Moon in My Eye

It was amazing how, despite the rather life changing events that had happened to me last night, everyone seemed normal. Weres joked and tussled; Sehun had found people around his age from the other packs and romped with them. I wondered, since he was under my command, did he realize what happened last night? Did he realize he was now apart of Kris’s pack now?

I turned away from him for now, and concentrated on what was happening. We were going to travel in our wolf form and people were helping each other tie on the bare essentials. It was rather a sobering sight. Before he said anything, I knew the person behind me was Kris. Ever since last night, it seemed I was hyperaware of his presence.

I glanced at him as he stood by my side, my hand unconsciously going to the bite on my neck when I spied his. It was embarrassing. “Can’t you at least try and hide it?” I hissed quietly.

He smirked at me and leaned down. “Why should I?”

“It’s—it’s embarrassing!” I said, my face flushing. After all, it meant we had . . . we had, and that-that . . . urgh!

He laughed quietly and then kissed my cheek, his hands brushing against mine, silently asking to hold my hand. Grudgingly, I opened my palm and he fit his hand into mine, our fingers wrapping around each other. “I don’t think it’s embarrassing.”

“Of course you don’t! You’re a man!”

He chuckled. “Interesting, but no. It shows everyone else I’m taken and bonded. That I found the person I want to spend the rest of my life with. Is that embarrassing?”

When he put it that way . . . “Alright, alright. Smooth talker,” I mumbled.

He laughed again. Ever since we had bonded, he had been in a rather bright and cheery mood, playful and affection and it was driving me a bit insane. Then again, I felt that way too, but I was trying to hide it. I was worried that my sudden shift in attitude would make someone suspicious.

“You should tell Sehun he is now under my authority.” Kris finally said. “He may feel the shift but not know what it means.”

I nodded and then looked at our hands. I honestly didn’t want to leave the warmth of it. Kris laughed and let me go and I whined a bit at the loss of his touch, but I turned around and walked towards Sehun. He was acting like a complete child with the other like-aged Weres, but when he saw I was approached me, he ditched them and faced up to me.

“Do you want to play?” He asked excitedly.

“Not right now. I need to talk to you.”

He eyed me with a strange expression. “Okay.”

I eyed the others behind him, listening intently. “Alone.” I growled out. They shrunk and ran away. As soon as I knew they were gone from earshot, I turned back to Sehun. He seemed incredibly curious.

“So what’s going on?”

I suddenly didn’t quite know how to say what I needed to say. “Um . . . you felt it right? The shift in your bond?”

Sehun tilted his head. “Now that you mention it, it does feel different . . . why?”

“Because you’re now a part of Kris’s pack.”

He froze. “What?” And before I could say anything else: “Why? Why are you getting rid of me? Did I do something? I don’t want to be with Kris! I want to be with you!” His voice had raised to a shout and heads were turned our way.

“Shhhh!” I said in a panic. He whimpered as my hand clutched over his mouth. “Listen. Kris and I, we’re . . . we’re bonded now.”

He was suddenly still and watching me. “You’re . . . bonded with Kris hyung?” he whispered as soon as he pried my hand from my mouth.

I nodded.

“You’re mates?” there was strange mixture of excitement and anger mixed in his tone.

“That’s right.”

“He didn’t ask my permission!” I was a bit startled by the vehemence in his voice.

“You’re . . . permission?” I asked quizzically.

“You’re my noona! He can’t just have you!” He growled.

I almost laughed. “That’s not how it works, little brother.”

Sehun pouted and grumbled to himself. Then eyed me. “He seems to make you happy so . . . I guess I’m okay with it.”

I gave him a small smile. Though I hadn’t thought much of Sehun’s reaction to my and Kris’s relationship and, most recently, the big step we just took, I was relieved to find he was okay with everything. I stepped forward and gave him a small hug. I knew the moment that Kris saw our physical contact as jealousy washed up inside me. I almost laughed at Kris’s quiet display of dominance and released Sehun.

“I’m so glad I met you, Sehun. You’re a wonderful friend.”

He scoffed. “Of course I am. Besides, who else would look after you?”

 

Everyone was ready by the time the sun was just peeking out over the horizon. Sumi, Ai Li, Chen, Minhee, and a select few were staying behind to both protect those who couldn’t fight and keep an eye on the territory. I was a bit surprised to see that Kai was one of the few who had volunteered to stay behind. As soon as he stepped up, Sohee also volunteered to stay. Kai seemed particularly peeved at this but said nothing as he turned around and entered the house. With goodbyes being said, we all headed out, all the Alphas up front with Xiumin and Luhan leading the way. They informed us that it would take a week to reach our destination.

Occasionally, I would look back at the, well, the army at our backs. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought so many Alphas and their packs could be together for so long. There were occasional tussles that were quickly put to rest by Alphas getting involved. But again, my mind kept going to what this was all for—to put an end to a Feral pack led by a man who used to be my friend.

I still wanted to give Taejoon a chance. My heart clenched painfully. I knew he was a good person—all those years of knowing him, of his kindness and his love for life. And I wanted to know why he was inflicting the same pain that had been inflicted on us all those years ago. It wasn’t just a passing whim, it was a need that was driving me forward.

Kris brushed up against me. I had noticed that not only Kris, but I had gotten more touchy as well. Not in a ual way, but it was almost in a way to reassure ourselves that we were still there, next to each other.

Are you okay? He asked.

I’m just thinking about what’s about to happen.

I’ll protect you.

I laughed, which is a very peculiar sound coming from a wolf. If I remember correctly, I was the one who protected you last time.

He gave me a little harder of a bump. Let me have my moment. He nuzzled into me, his affection washing over me. And then we were interrupted.

Oh my God, I’m going to hurl. Luhan cut in, making gagging noises.

Please, stop, I can’t handle much more. Lay groaned.

And you guys are tuned out. Kris growled.

The nice thing about being Alpha was the fact that we were the only ones able to block out every other member. But instead of being embarrassed, I laughed. I was just so . . . bubbly since our bonding, so happy and it was changing me. And for a moment, it worried me a little. But as far as I remembered, this was the happiest I had been in my life, at least with another person or people. So I let myself enjoy the moment instead of worrying about what was just ahead.

Enough worrying for now. There was enough time for that when we arrived at our destination.

 

Hyorim.

I lifted my head and looked at Kris who was huddled beside me for the night. Hm?

Are you . . . ready for this?

I knew exactly what he meant. We were close to Taejoon’s den, very close according  Luhan and XIumin. And that had me thinking about what to do if Taejoon wouldn’t change, wouldn’t . . .

Yes. I’m ready for whatever needs to be done. I’m ready.

Kris nuzzled me. Remember. I’m here for you.

I kn—did you hear that?

I lifted my head higher and my ears sprang up. I didn’t hear anything else. But something told me we were being watched. Slowly, I got to my feet my ears trained on what I heard. Kris got up next to me.

Heard? Connor’s voice slid across my mind, distracting me for a second. I was glad I wasn’t the only one.

I nodded and, carefully, I crept towards the noise. And that’s when the wind shifted and I realized that there was a wolf a few dozen meters away from me. And he knew I knew. In a flash, he took off and I was after him, more than likely a few of our wolves running just behind me. I knew this scent. It was Taejoon’s pack’s scent. Familiar and foreign and burning my nose.

It was a scout and we couldn’t let him get away.

I stretched my strides wider and dug my paws deeper into the ground, feeling my entire body stretch and contract like a rubber band as I flew after the enemy, somehow dodging obstacles that were leaving my allies staggered. I shot to the side where the ground went into an uphill incline, catching up to him. When I was close enough, I leaped onto his back and we tumbled, snarling and snapping as we tumbled.

In the end I pinned him and had him by the neck. It only hit me a minute after that the body below me was dead. I released him and backed up, a little shocked by my brutality, but enlivened by it at the same time.

I looked up as Kris and the others caught up and eyed the scene.

I felt their approval at my handiwork, before turning back around and leaving. Kris went to my side and bumped me in pride.

But all I could think about as we headed back was the fact that that body might wind up to be Taejoon. 

---------------------------------------

I think I'll continue updating this until it's over, but I also think the updates will be slower/sporadic. As someone commented on my blog post, I just don't have as much motivation to write since the story isn't going the way I want. 
That being said, I still really want to know what you guys think, because no, I have no idea what to do or how to make it all work (I wish I was asking just to be polite . . . TT^TT). SO PLEASE go look at my latest Blog Post and help me~!
I am currently working on the outline for the new "Moon in My Eye."

(BTW the wolf she killed wasn't Taejoon, just FYI. She's truly coming to terms with the fact that she might have to kill him . . .)