26: Outburst

Moon in My Eye

I knew who he was talking about without having to ask. I didn’t even think about it as I shot out of the room and raced to the front door and flung it open. Sehun skidded to a halt next to me. Just getting out of the car was Sumi, holding one of her babies. I raced forward and, careful of the sleeping baby, hugged Sumi. She let out a puff of air in surprise, but she quickly hugged me back. I hadn’t realized until I laid eyes on her how much I missed her. But not just her. Her, Suho, the pack. I missed them all.

“I’m so glad to see you again,” Sumi said.

“I missed you so much.” I whispered. I took a step back, fighting back tears. Suho had walked around the car and I hugged him next. He didn’t return the hug for a long time, probably surprised that I had initiated touching. But he eventually did.

“It’s good to see you again.”

I nodded and released him. Two others—Chanyeol, who was holding the other baby, and Baekhyun—had gotten out of the car and were watching us with interest. It was like they had never seen me before. “Where’s everybody else?”

“Kai, Sohee, and Kyungsoo ran here. They should be here later tonight.” Sohee? Who was that? Suho saw my confused look. “We’ll explain later. It’s been a long trip.” His eyes shifted to over my shoulder and I turned to see Kris walking up. “Can we come in for a drink?”

My eyes were constantly shifting between the babies, fascinated by them. I’d always been interested, a little terrified, of kids, especially infants. We entered the front room and some of the other pack members stepped in.

“Lay, can you make drinks for us?”

Lay shrugged and headed for the kitchen.

“Still playing the mother, hyung?” Baekhyun teased.

Lay grumbled but ignored him as he let the door swing shut behind him. I was still focusing on the babies, wondering what their names were, if they were boys or girls—their clothing gave no hint.

“Hyorim,” I tore my eyes away and looked at Sumi. “Do you want to hold him?” She gestured to her baby being held by Chanyeol.

“Wh-what? N-no, I—”

“Chanyeol. Give her Junsu.” Junsu. Good name. Chanyeol got up and before I knew it, was handing over the baby. He gave me a reassuring smile as he helped position my arms to hold the baby properly. Chanyeol’s hand lingered a little bit on my arm when he was done.

There was a snarl that ripped through the room. Chanyeol immediately removed his hand as he turned to look at Kris. Everyone was still and surprised, at least, those who hadn’t already witnessed Kris’s other outbursts.

“Kris . . . ?” Suho asked cautiously.

“Ah, sorry. I haven’t had visitors in a long time. My wolf is having a hard time adjusting.”

I didn’t see anyone’s reaction. I was too focused on the baby in my arms. He was so . . . small. He stretched in his sleep and one of his hands opened and closed. They were so . . . tiny. I was suddenly aware of how breakable he was in my arms. An overwhelming urge, a need, to protect this little human swept over me and I clutched him a little tighter to me.

“Hyorim?” startled, I looked up to see Lay offering me a cup of tea. I shook my head and was aware that everyone was watching me. Sumi was smiling brightly at me and when I looked at Kris, his smile was so gentle, so affectionate, I had to look away.

“What’s his brother’s name?” I asked.

“Sister. His sister’s name is Minji.”

A boy and a girl. Amazing. Time flew by as Suho and Kris and the rest discussed the situation and the plan. I was too focused on Junsu. He woke up at one point, but didn’t cry. He just looked at me and I stared back. His eyes were so big! He reached for me and I offered my finger and was a little surprised by his strong grip. I smiled at him, bouncing him a little in my lap. But then he started crying and I panicked, looking up at Sumi. Minji was starting to fuss as well.

She smiled and sighed. “It’s time for their lunch. Hyorim, do you mind helping me?”

I nodded, still a little panicky as I didn’t know what to do with a crying child.

“There’s an empty room you can use. Second door on the left.” Kris supplied.

“Thank you. Come on.”

I directed her to the room and closed the door behind us as she took a seat on the bed, scooting back and placing a pillow between her lower back and the wall. Once she was comfortable she started feeding Minji and once Minji was positioned just so, Sumi gestured for Junsu. I handed him over and watched, fascinated by what I was witnessing.

Sumi sighed and leaned back.

“Are you okay?”

“I’m just so tired,” She said. “And achy. These two only seem to cry and eat and throw fits. It’s exhausting. The pack has been great helping, but there’s only so much they can do.”

“I thought they’d be well-mannered like their parents.”

She snorted, eyeing her babies. “Far from it. They’re little devils. They’re cute though, so that evens things out. I just can’t wait to stop feeding them.” Then she turned to look at me, a knowing look on her face. It made me a little uncomfortable. “So . . . you and Kris seem close.”

“What do you mean?”

“Oh, don’t act coy. You know exactly what I mean. How long have you guys been a couple?” My heart stopped and then started again. How the hell did she know? “Hyorim. I’ve been married to Suho, a Were, for four years. I think I’d know when something is going on between a woman and a man.”

“I . . . it’s a little complicated but . . . he says he loves me and . . . I think I love him too.”

Sumi suddenly seemed a bit more energized. “And how long ago was this?”

“Yesterday?”

Sumi laughed. “Good! I haven’t missed anything then!”

“What?”

She smiled a bit devilishly. “It’s fun teasing a Were who’s in love with you. I did it with Suho all the time when we first started going out. It was so much fun watching his face turn red and see him all flustered. It gives a sort of empowerment, you know?” I laughed quietly, imagining it all. It was definitely a humorous scene playing in my head. She turned serious. “That being said, are you happy?”

“Yes.” My eyes widened. It had just . . . popped out. I hadn’t thought about it at all, but when I stopped a moment to think about it, I came to the same answer. With all of my heart, I was happy here.

Sumi relaxed, smiling. “Good. I’m glad. Out of everyone I know, you’re the one who deserves to be happy. You’ve gone through too much not to be. And Kris better treat you like his Queen. If he makes you cry, I’ll tear off his head.”

I laughed. “I’d like to see you take on a Were, Sumi.”

“Oh. Oh that’s right. I haven’t told you, have I?” I was suddenly alert.

“Told me what?”

She smiled yet again. “Take a moment and take in my scent.”

I did. I took in her smell and she smelled the same. Until—my eyes widened as I looked at her. “But I thought Suho said he’d never change you!”

She laughed. “And he wasn’t going to. Remember when we were talking on the phone?” I nodded. “I was going into labor, but something was wrong. I was bleeding way too much and everyone thought I was going to die. Suho didn’t even think about it. I guess living on without me was too much, so he bit me and now . . .” Her smile widened, “I’m one of you.”

After a little bit more chitchat, Sumi nodded off. I decided I’d leave her be and left the room—after what she had told me, she needed her rest. Everyone had vacated the front room and for a split second I wondered where they had gone. But then I counted my blessings as I walked out the front door and headed for the trees.

I needed to give Taejoon my answer. I wanted to be friends, but no more. I had chosen Kris, and I was going to stick by it.

I was surprised when someone grabbed my arm and spun me around. Kris. His grip was firm, but didn’t hurt.

“Every time you leave around now. And every time you come back smelling of someone else. If I ask now, will you tell me who it is you’re meeting?”

I opened my mouth, the truth sitting on my tongue, but I bit down on it and shook my head. With Kris’s possessiveness and with Taejoon being an Alpha who entered Kris’s turf without permission, things would turn deadly. And I didn’t want Taejoon hurt, not because of my loose tongue.

Kris seemed hurt, but accepted my answer. “Just . . . come back? Okay?” He sounded so uncertain, as if he truly thought I would simply run off. And for a moment I was stunned by the realization that even a person like Kris needed to be reassured every now and again.

Without thinking, I pulled him close and gave him a kiss. When I realized what I had done, I quickly stepped back, blushing. “I’ll be back. And this will be the last time. I promise.”

“O-okay.” Kris stuttered.

I turned around and started hiking to where Taejoon and I always met, my resolve hardened. Even if Kris and I weren’t meant to be, I had made my choice and . . . and I think Kris was the one I needed to experience this with him. Somehow, I knew it would be good for me, one way or another. I eventually arrived at the location and I waited. And waited and waited and waited. Well after dark and Taejoon still hadn’t shown up. And I wondered why. Surely he hadn’t forgotten, since he had set the deadline himself.

So I waited a little longer.

But he never showed. I was worried. Now that I thought about it, I had never really told him about the Ferals roaming about and in heavy supply, nor anything about the pack out there that was kidnapping girls and, I assumed, killing off those who opposed them. I could definitely see Taejoon opposing them.

But no, he had to be fine. He had to be. I forced myself to believe it and after a while, I got up and started heading back. I decided I’d come back tomorrow. I remembered my promise to Kris I wondered what to do. I wasn’t one for going back on my words, but I didn’t want Taejoon to worry about me or forever wonder what my answer was. I decided then I’d sneak out and make sure Kris wouldn’t know.

And that would be my only secret.

 

I was a bit surprised to find the lights on at the house, but remembered that Kai and his group was supposed to come in at night. I grew curious as I remembered Suho mention a girl’s name I didn’t know. Sohee. I could smell them and one scent was definitely unfamiliar. And as I got closer, I could hear people inside. They definitely weren’t being quiet.

But I wasn’t prepared for what I saw when I opened the door.

I have no idea what was happening, or what led up to what I saw, I was just focused on what I did see. Kris seemed exasperated, Kai was off towards the corner, being held back by Baekhyun and Xiumin. Baekhyun was laughing, as were most of the rest of Suho’s pack. But what I zeroed in on was a woman who was practically hanging off Kris. It didn’t even register that Kris was trying to push her off and it didn’t matter when I marched forward, seeing red, and ripped her off. I flung her away and she hit the couch with her back, flying over the side and tumbling over.

“Get off of him! He’s mine!” I snarled.

Everyone was frozen and dead quiet, watching me with wide eyes. Sohee, or at least that’s who I guessed she was, used her arms to sit up. “Ow. What the hell?” I was still panting heavily and furious, wanting nothing more than to go after her again and-and punish her. I hadn’t felt this hostile in a long time. “God, he’s not even your mate. He doesn’t have your smell at all. Anyway, we were just mess—”

I lunged for her, but Kris encircled his arms around me. “Hey, calm down.” He whispered into my ear.

I turned around and grabbed his face before smashing our lips together. After a few moments, I whirled around to a room that was stunned yet again.

“Damn.” Xiumin said lowly.

“Damn,” the rest of Suho’s pack agreed.

And that’s when it slammed into me what all just happened and all I wanted was the floor to swallow me up. How humiliating. I looked at Kris and was mortified to see him smiling broadly at me. I struggled and broke free of his grasp. I needed to escape, away from all these eyes and away from my actions. It was late, so Sehun would be asleep and, honestly, I needed to be alone to-to think.

I went to the library, thankfully finding it empty. I found the darkest corner I could and sat there, burying my head in my knees. At least now I understood Kris’s hostile possessive outbursts. I didn’t even realize what I had done until it was over. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

“Hyorim?” I froze and didn’t say a word. I honestly couldn’t face him right now. I was too embarrassed. “Hyorim, I know you’re in here. Are you really going to make me look for you?”

“I’m over here.” I said softly.

Kris eventually found me and sat down beside me. “Well . . . that was something.” Further humiliated, I buried my head into my knees again. “I thought I was the only one with possessive problems.”

I groaned, but didn’t say anything.

“Hey, will you look at me?” I slowly lifted my head and turned my face to him. “Can I tell you something? I was actually really happy the way you acted.”

“You’ve got to be kidding me. That was totally out of line!” I exclaimed.

He smiled and tucked a piece of hair away from my eyes. “True, but it also told me our feelings are on the same level.” I stopped to think about that. Maybe he was right. “Can I tell you something else?”

“Hm?”

“I really liked it that you kissed me.” I blushed, forgetting that I had done that too. “You initiated a kiss with me twice today. That’s more than I’d have ever expected, especially so soon. I’m a happy man.”

Something in me was happy that he was happy.

“Hyorim, can I kiss you?”

I looked at him and something in me heated me up when I saw his expression. I bit my lip and cautiously nodded my head. I was a bit surprised by how fast his lips crashed into mine, but as soon as they did, my warm burst into a lava that raced across my body, under my skin. This kiss was different from the others.

I wrapped my arms around his neck to draw him a little closer and this small gesture seemed to make Kris get excited. One of his hands cupped the base of my skull and the other gripped my hip tightly. Without warning he bit my bottom lip and I gasped in surprise. The next thing I knew, he deepened the kiss. I panicked a little at the feel of his tongue, but somehow relaxed when he rubbed soothing circles on my hip.

I don’t know how long we sat there and kissed and I honestly didn’t care. I was feeling too good. But then Kris pulled away—my own body followed him, missing the heat and contact. I was dazed and I couldn’t think straight, his smell wrapping around me and filling my entire being. I just knew I wanted to keep kissing him.

“We-we need to stop.” Kris strangled out.

“H-huh?” I tried to focus on his face, but it was hard. He gulped when he looked at my face for some reason.

“Hyorim, we need to stop. Right now.”

“Why?”

“If we don’t . . . look, I just can’t handle anymore right now.”

Huh? I thought I was the one who wasn’t supposed to be able to handle too much of all this intimacy. “I don’t understand.”

“. Look, if we don’t stop now, I’m going to wind up in between your legs. Do you get it or do I need to be more graphic?”

I sobered immediately and quickly shook my head, backing away from him like he would bite me.

He suddenly looked panicked. “N-not that I would let that happen until you said it was okay or . . . or . . . , look I need to leave, okay? I can’t be near you right now, or you’re going to hate me forever.”

Quickly he got to his feet and left. I was a bit flustered and embarrassed by how lustfully I had acted. But that was what was confusing me. I was so shy around these topics, so fearful of even attempting kissing or anything else. Just thinking about any intimate activities had me cringing and panicking. And yet, with Kris, I didn’t think, I just did. I sat there for a while longer, wondering what that meant and trying to calm my racing heart.

I also tried to push down my disappointed feelings.

Kris, you’re driving me insane.